• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for May 2016

allan-bh

Right, and I'm not sure why your expectations should be the one to drive conclusions.

But as I already said, let's agree to disagree.

What drives conclusions is the actual sales number, but you are starting from a wrong premisse because you underestimated Uncharted 4 effect on HW.

In that sense I understand your feeling of impressive sales, you are surprised, but what I'm doing is rationalize what the number actually means. No problem in people think that is impressive after doing that.

Yeah I'm not sure it can be phrased any other way. The console by and large has been a disaster. We are looking at what 40 million or so LT? Such a shame as I adored the 360 but MS just made so many errors this time around

I think the second wind they got from the Kinect last gen just gave them the wrong steer for the start of this one.

Very nice to see Uncharted and Doom at top places - gives me hope that era of mostly single player games hasn't ended yet.

I wonder if E3 will change anything in sales with potential announcements of new hardware.

Hey, 3DS sold over 60 million worldwide! :D

Stil something like 20 millions more to catch up with PSP.

donny2112

It's good to see the Wii U continuing to not have a price drop. We were talking a couple of years ago that it'd be better for Nintendo to just ride out this bad gen at the current price with low sales and try again next-gen instead of trying to get some incremental increase in sales at the cost of a lot of loss on the hardware. Usually Nintendo makes choices that completely go against general "good idea" thinking, so it's good to see them recognize that this gen has been a lost cause for a long time and not try to chase anything with Wii U. Maybe that'll bode well for decisions with the NX in their next coming gen.

It will be painful to see Wii U's run this holidays. Good for Nintendo that they have Pokemon releasing for the 3DS so maybe it won't be that bad.

Fat4all

Banned
It's good to see the Wii U continuing to not have a price drop. We were talking a couple of years ago that it'd be better for Nintendo to just ride out this bad gen at the current price with low sales and try again next-gen instead of trying to get some incremental increase in sales at the cost of a lot of loss on the hardware. Usually Nintendo makes choices that completely go against general "good idea" thinking, so it's good to see them recognize that this gen has been a lost cause for a long time and not try to chase anything with Wii U. Maybe that'll bode well for decisions with the NX in their next coming gen.

Indeed, they can't afford to lose any more money on the Wii U, and a price drop just wouldn't drive any real big bumps in sales.

watdaeff4

You are welcome :)

click will enlarge*
AWxhV0x.png

I was interested in the whole "UC4 - did it help move hardware or not" and "is PS4 number impressive?" debates.
interested as I found the discussion mildly entertaining

But then after seeing this graph and comparing May 2015 to May 2016, then October 2014 to October 2015, then going back to the October 2015 results thread and seeing who was saying what then and now I find it very entertaining......

allan-bh

I still believe they could have tried a bold move of remove the GamePad and sell the machine for $199.

What drives conclusions is the actual sales number, but you are starting from a wrong premisse because you underestimated Uncharted 4 effect on HW.

In that sense I understand your feeling of impressive sales, you are surprised, but what I'm doing is rationalize what the number actually means. No problem in people think that is impressive after doing that.

I disagree with pretty much everything you've said and especially how you've interpreted my posts. But I don't feel like debating in circles.

Congratulations on having your expectations be close to the results!

Sterok

A Wii U price drop is probably the last thing on Nintendo's mind. The bundles in Japan keep on getting more and more expensive.

Putty

More powerful and cheaper, rumor GPU upgrade to 2TF and 4K Bluray/output support.
If that thing price at $249 or lower, it will fly off shelf.
Plus best line up in Xbox history that rival last year with Gears 4, Forza horizon 3, Recore, Halo wars 2 and more, I mean, Halo, Gears and Forza in the same holiday! I think it will be the best holiday for Xbox one.

Yeah,X the first part of what yo said isn't happening.

Great to see Doom up there alongside U4...Doom was a huge surprise for me (single player only). U4 doing terrifically well and it will have legs all year and beyond...

Bruno MB

Thanks Aquamarine for the numbers.

There is nothing unexpected this month when it comes to hardware and probably software sales too.

That's the minimum expected with a big launch like Uncharted 4 and last year price drop. Would be really strange if PS4 was down.

207k is a number not impressive at all, but I guess it fits in the new standard for the market, sales more concentrated in holidays.

I feel the same way.

PlayStation 4 sales in the US is anything but impressive. Its sales performance is the least that could be expected for the leading platform of this generation.

Withnail

That PS4 software clean sweep is impressive (assuming COD also led on PS4 through bundles). Can't remember seeing that before.

People get too fixated on hardware numbers and forget that software is where the money is made.

Thank you Aqua, Zhuge, Cosmic, Cream, and everyone who contributes so much to the NPD threads. You are appreciated.

After the lagging numbers of the One and PS4 having such a good month, I can't wait for next month's NPD. If even half of the rumors are true I feel like it's going to be the Wild West for speculation in here. Ready to see some bets.

Mooreberg

Not sure I agree with this. I think a lot of PS4's success is due to the sheer amount of effort Sony put into the back half of PS3's lifespan. The price drops (at an admittedly glacial pace), PlayStation Plus, first party stuff (Uncharted, infamous, Souls) etc. all maps directly to what has worked well for PS4. It put them in really excellent position to capitalize on all of the unforced errors Microsoft made in 2013.

The one thing I see Nintendo carrying forward from the Wii U era is Splatoon. Anything else that helps NX will be properties that predate Wii U by some time, or emerged elsewhere (handheld franchises). Throw in the fact the for the first time, Microsoft and Sony are planting flags in the ground with iterative hardware... there is going to be enormous differences in the available software selections. I think the near future is a bad time to be starting from scratch.

eFKac

Could someone kindly drop me hardware plus top 4 software numbers if they were provided today?

Skimmed through the thread but found nothing.

Read is somewhere in the Scorpio thread.
You mean the thread where the Scorpio will be a 6 TF machine for $400 releasing this fall?

Pretty sure that "rumor" was just a wishful thinking fanboy post. I wouldn't go spreading anything posted in that thread that wasn't in the OP.

foxbeldin

You mean the thread where the Scorpio will be a 6 TF machine for $400 releasing this fall?

Pretty sure that "rumor" was just a wishful thinking fanboy post. I wouldn't go spreading anything posted in that thread that wasn't in the OP.

Wishful thinking fanboys think the 6TF Scorpio is just a firmware upgrade for the current Xbox One system. I shit you not, there are people actually parading that theory outside of gaf.

madmackem

What's game changer for you?

I'm not talking about beat PS4.
A game changer would be them winning npd on a regular basis going forwards, I don't see how a slimmer version of the same hardware does that, unless it's super cheap. Even then you have the threat of Scorpio in the background which could be the game changer ms need but will without doubt have people second guessing buying in now if the box is revealed at e3.

EGM1966

So unit sales pretty meh apart from PS4 that was solid with decent YOY percentage uptick?

XB1 down a notable percentage?

Strong U4 sales. Good Doom and Overwatch sales but both will be missing digital on PC that should be notable percentage for each.

Wii U just dead HW and SW.

I can certainly see why MS would risk a generation splitting me like Scorpio. Not sure it'll work but if they don't risk anything there's soon going to be nothing positive to say about XB1whwn it dips below 360x

Sony will need something like Neo to counter this but I don't think can risk a big shift. Better to not spilt install base too much and trust on momentum to keep them ahead overall. If they launch Neo well they should be able to get good head start too.

MS though I'm not sure why they're rumoured to be releasing a slim and a big upgrade? Seems to me they're just going to cannabilize themselves. Business wise it's probably better just to drop XB1 for Scorpio. Maybe they don't want to risk negative press though and figure a slim would be a decent nod to current install base.

Right now though the PS4 seems to be clear tent pole for console market performance with other devices increasingly failing to pull their weight for overall market.

Wagram

More powerful and cheaper, rumor GPU upgrade to 2TF and 4K Bluray/output support.
If that thing price at $249 or lower, it will fly off shelf.
Plus best line up in Xbox history that rival last year with Gears 4, Forza horizon 3, Recore, Halo wars 2 and more, I mean, Halo, Gears and Forza in the same holiday! I think it will be the best holiday for Xbox one.

This is just going to be an annual thing now isn't it?

Looking at how UC4 failed to break 1 million after a few weeks in NA in comparison to the game doing 2.7 million first week WW, it does show that Sony have little reliance on the region. Even worst case scenario, UC4 will have passed 3 million WW and that's low balling for the month, but it means that NA possibly accounted for about a third of UC4 sales. Sony should thank the stars that the Playstation brand is a genuine powerhouse in EU, it's pulling in some serious numbers. Digital is not announced for and I'm in the UK but purchased it from Canada PSN, however I seriously doubt digital accounted for a huge chunk of the sales.

No idea how other upcoming first party games will do in NA though, from the games announced I can only see Horizon doing half decent and the inevitable GOW4 will do well. But GT Sport, GR2, TLG, Detroit etc ain't going to move the needle even a tiny bit in NA, will be another case of EU doing the leg work.

Aqua being on the Chartz is a travesty, unban her and let her post what she's allowed to on here rather than the magic number farm! :p

allan-bh

A game changer would be them winning npd on a regular basis going forwards, I don't see how a slimmer version of the same hardware does that, unless it's super cheap. Even then you have the threat of Scorpio in the background which could be the game changer ms need but will without doubt have people second guessing buying in now if the box is revealed at e3.

yeah, this will not gonna happen, especially with Neo and VR on PS4 side, but I'm confident that with a Slim model 2016 will be better than 2015 for Xbox One in NPD.

T-0800

Looking at how UC4 failed to break 1 million after a few weeks in NA in comparison to the game doing 2.7 million first week WW, it does show that Sony have little reliance on the region. Even worst case scenario, UC4 will have passed 3 million WW and that's low balling for the month, but it means that NA possibly accounted for about a third of UC4 sales. Sony should thank the stars that the Playstation brand is a genuine powerhouse in EU, it's pulling in some serious numbers. Digital is not announced for and I'm in the UK but purchased it from Canada PSN, however I seriously doubt digital accounted for a huge chunk of the sales.

No idea how other upcoming first party games will do in NA though, from the games announced I can only see Horizon doing half decent and the inevitable GOW4 will do well. But GT Sport, GR2, TLG, Detroit etc ain't going to move the needle even a tiny bit in NA, will be another case of EU doing the leg work.

Aqua being on the Chartz is a travesty, unban her and let her post what she's allowed to on here rather than the magic number farm! :p

It's not luck that Sony are big in the rest of the world and MS aren't.

Fady K

I like Allan bh and his analyses, but I swear every NPD month is deja vu with the posts - he is always never impressed with PS4 related matters and always has a reason for justification whenever XB1 is not doing well. I love you Allan, but that's honestly how I've been seeing it for a long time now.

Raylan

Banned
I like Allan bh and his analyses, but I swear every NPD month is deja vu with the posts - he is always never impressed with PS4 related matters and always has a reason for justification whenever XB1 is not doing well. I love you Allan, but that's honestly how I've been seeing it for a long time now.

Just ignore it. That's what I am doing.

Javin98

Banned
Let's be honest, we all have our platforms of preference and want to see them do better than what they are actually doing. I don't find allan's posts to be unreasonable and he does make some good points.

pretty much, with those sales, xbox would be at circa 250k WW, while PS4 651k, using 50% and 30% as estimates of the US percentages.
50% is way too generous for the XB1, we're not talking about the 360 here. Try 60%. Honestly, I don't think the XB1 sold more than 180K worldwide this May.

Let's be honest, we all have our platforms of preference and want to see them do better than what they are actually doing. I don't find allan's posts to be unreasonable and he does make some good points.

50% is way too generous for the XB1, we're not talking about the 360 here. Try 60%.

I know, i'm feeling generous first thing in the morning. ;)

Fady K

Just ignore it. That's what I am doing.

The thing is I enjoy his more reasonable posts, but what I said above? I've been seeing it for over a year non stop.

And always with a reason as to why it'll perform better in the future, problem is people have being coming up with those reasons since Jan 2014.

Yeah, and I don't get it. I'm trying to but I can't understand what gives him such a consistent tone based on the brand rather than the situation.

Fady K

I totally agree about all of us having platforms of preference that match our tastes and I too enjoy much of his posts, except when he is constantly skewing his opinion based on the platform in an obvious way.

Javin98

Banned
I totally agree about all of us having platforms of preference that match our tastes and I too enjoy much of his posts, except when he is constantly skewing his opinion based on the platform in an obvious way.
Hehe, I don't see him as a fanboy, though. He still makes realistic and reasonable posts. I do agree that he has a preference for XBox, however. To be fair, I'm a big PlayStation fan and my predictions for the XB1 sales figures can occasionally be lower from some people's.

Top Bottom