• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for May 2016

allan-bh

I like Allan bh and his analyses, but I swear every NPD month is deja vu with the posts - he is always never impressed with PS4 related matters and always has a reason for justification whenever XB1 is not doing well. I love you Allan, but that's honestly how I've been seeing it for a long time now.

I guess you missed my posts on november 2015 thread. I was very impressed with PS4 sales. Believe or not I'm just giving my honest opinions, not be on the "Xbox One is doomed" train doesn't make me a hater of PS4.

PS4 in NPD overall doesn't impress me, I can't change my feelings, but WW is another thing.

Fady K

Hehe, I don't see him as a fanboy, though. He still makes realistic and reasonable posts. I do agree that he has a preference for XBox, however. To be fair, I'm a big PlayStation fan and my predictions for the XB1 can occasionally be lower from some people's.

I'm not sure anymore if he's not a fanboy or not - not sure what games he plays either. But there is undeniably a preference that has been shown over the past year+. I'm a big PS fan as well, caters to my tastes best by far, though I expected a lot more from XB1 sales wise with the previously-temporary promotion and QB release in May. It'll be cool to see both Sony's and MS's plans in E3 to know what else to look forward to.

Javin98

Banned
I guess you missed my posts on november 2015 thread. I was very impressed with PS4 sales. Believe or not I'm just giving my honest opinions, not be on the "Xbox One is doomed" train doesn't make me a hater of PS4.

PS4 in NPD overall doesn't impress me, I can't change my feelings, but WW is another thing.
I agree with you, actually. The PS4 really isn't doing extraordinarily well for a market leader in the US. Worldwide, however, is pretty impressive. I think you should admit that you have a preference for XBox and most of them will be satisfied. I just admitted I'm a big PlayStation fan and nobody killed me. :p
Not accusing you of anything, BTW.

The PS4 US sales most likely beating the XB1 WW sales in May is damn impressive.
Yeah, the XB1 has really been underperforming in the US so far.

I'm not sure anymore if he's not a fanboy or not - not sure what games he plays either. But there is undeniably a preference that has been shown over the past year+. I'm a big PS fan as well, caters to my tastes best by far, though I expected a lot more from XB1 sales wise with the previously-temporary promotion and QB release in May. It'll be cool to see both Sony's and MS's plans in E3 to know what else to look forward to.
The thing is, Microsoft had such crazy deals during the last two holiday seasons that most buyers are waiting for the holidays to make their purchase. On the other hand, Sony dropped the price of the PS4 last October, so the PS4 has seen some nice improvements YoY. The marketing for Uncharted 4 definitely helped a lot this month too.

allan-bh

I agree with you, actually. The PS4 really isn't doing extraordinarily well for a market leader in the US. Worldwide, however, is pretty impressive. I think you should admit that you have a preference for XBox and most of them will be satisfied. I just admitted I'm a big PlayStation fan and nobody killed me. :p

Why this matters? I didn't see playstation fans on NPD threads being called about their preferences.

Maybe is just me but I see a clear diference here, people that says good things about PS4 sales generally are more welcomed that people that says something good about Xbox One or bad about PS4.

Fady K

Trust me, I believe you're giving your honest opinions lad, and like you, I'm not on the Xbox One is doomed train as it is selling more than the Xbox 360 at this rate. I just meant how your opinion of not being impressed is usually tied to one platform and your opinion of justification when something isn't doing well is tied to another.

By the way, I've been so used to seeing only sales related posts here that I never realised to ask: are you a gamer as well? Any genres or series you enjoy?

Javin98

Banned
Why this matters? I didn't see playstation fans on NPD threads being called about their preferences.

Maybe is just me but I see a clear diference here, people that says good things about PS4 sales generally are more welcomed that people that says something good about Xbox One or bad about PS4.
Chill, I don't see it the way you do, but there's nothing wrong with admitting a preference. Though, to be fair, GAF has a tendency to be more favorable to the leading platform and the PS4 happens to be it. I wasn't on GAF last gen, but I'm sure the 360 was more favored here back then. Again, I don't mind your posts and in fact, like some of them, but a few others don't see it that way.

Fady K

The thing is, Microsoft had such crazy deals during the last two holiday seasons that most buyers are waiting for the holidays to make their purchase. On the other hand, Sony dropped the price of the PS4 last October, so the PS4 has seen some nice improvements YoY. The marketing for Uncharted 4 definitely helped a lot this month too.

Agreed, that's a big risk Microsoft took back when it first slashed prices and gave crazy offers for the holidays that, unfortunately for them, people got used to it and expect it to be the norm, based on recent sales.

Fady K

Chill, I don't see it the way you do, but there's nothing wrong with admitting a preference. Though, to be fair, GAF has a tendency to be more favorable to the leading platform and the PS4 happens to be it. I wasn't on GAF last gen, but I'm sure the 360 was more favored here back then.

I agree, there's nothing wrong with having a platform preference as people have different tastes and admiration for different genres and series. I was on GAF since 10 years ago and indeed it was very different here during the Xbox 360 era.

allan-bh

By the way, I've been so used to seeing only sales related posts here that I never realised to ask: are you a gamer as well? Any genres or series you enjoy?

Yes, I don't participate in other threads because I don't speak english so is hard to me, I need to use google translate to help, that's why I chose to basically post in NPD threads only.

I'm a gamer, I have Xbox One, PS4 and 3DS. I love shooters, racing and western rpgs, plus Nintendo games in general.

Dinjooh

Chill, I don't see it the way you do, but there's nothing wrong with admitting a preference. Though, to be fair, GAF has a tendency to be more favorable to the leading platform and the PS4 happens to be it. I wasn't on GAF last gen, but I'm sure the 360 was more favored here back then. Again, I don't mind your posts and in fact, like some of them, but a few others don't see it that way.

Ooohoho, oh yea - big time.

The first half of that gen was brutal for PlayStation 'fans'.

Fady K

Yes, I don't participate in other threads because I don't speak english so is hard to me, I need to use google translate to help, that's why I chose to basically post in NPD threads only.

I'm a gamer, I have Xbox One, PS4 and 3DS. I love shooters, racing and western rpgs, plus Nintendo games in general.

I see Bro - no worries, your English can definitely improve here. A lot of kind posters can help out. My English wasn't that good initially as well.

If you love such genres, be sure to look into Doom and the Witcher 3 at least if you still haven't.

allan-bh

I see Bro - no worries, your English can definitely improve here. A lot of kind posters can help out. My English wasn't that good initially as well.

If you love such genres, be sure to look into Doom and the Witcher 3 at least if you still haven't.

I have The Witcher 3, Doom is on my list, I will buy later at lower price.

allan-bh

Forget first half, the next gen consoles predictions thread had a lot of posters predicting Sony would leave the industry. :p

I believe the general sentiment in the industry is that this generation was Microsoft time, at least I saw some people here with inside info talking about that.

Javin98

Banned
I believe the general sentiment in the industry is that this generation was Microsoft time, at least I saw some people here with inside info talking about that.
Yeah, I remember insiders saying that developers were planning to partner up with Microsoft as well. Amazing how that all went upside down just because of..... One bad day. ;)

Loudninja

Posting this again because it may have got bury

PlayStation Store: May 2016’s Top Downloads
1 Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End
2 Overwatch: Origins Edition
3 DOOM
4 Rocket League
5 Battlefield 4
6 Minecraft: PlayStation 4 Edition
7 Battlefield Hardline
8 Battleborn
9 Killzone Shadow Fall
10 The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
11 Outlast
12 Terraria: PS4 Edition
13 Grand Theft Auto V
14 EA SPORTS FIFA 16
15 DARK SOULS III
16 The Banner Saga
17 Ratchet & Clank
18 UNCHARTED The Nathan Drake Collection
19 Thief
20 STAR WARS Battlefront
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2016/06/06/playstation-store-may-2016s-top-downloads/

wapplew

Seriously, Xbox one actually did well enough to be the best loser/second place in a console generation. I'm sure it will outsold N64 in the end.
Plus it sell well enough to make sure no western third party stop making Xbox one version. They'll be fine as long as they have those support.

Not in your camp, but by your side, allan.

allan-bh

Yeah, I remember insiders saying that developers were planning to part with Microsoft as well. Amazing how that all went upside down just because of..... One bad day. ;)

Microsoft committed much mistakes. The online check and block used games was stupid but they threw away fast, the major problems were the TV focus, weaker hardware and bundle with Kinect at $500.

Sony played their cards right and combined with Microsoft mistakes was perfect. Xbox brand in US/UK is what saved Xbox One from collapse.

Not in your camp, but by your side, allan.

:)

Javin98

Banned
Microsoft committed much mistakes. The online check and block used games was stupid but they threw away fast, the major problems were the TV focus, weaker hardware and bundle with Kinect at $500.

Sony played their cards right and combined with Microsoft mistakes was perfect. Xbox brand in US/UK is what saved Xbox One from collapse.
Pretty much this. Along with the 24 hours check in DRM scheme. Amazing how one bad day can tarnish a brand's good will.

See, guys? Allan does make some good posts and he doesn't hide the fact that Microsoft screwed up in the beginning. Some of you guys may just be a tad oversensitive.

There was one thread that had predictions for the big three. It's incredible 😂
That's the one I'm referring to. :p

Fady K

Pretty much this. Along with the 24 hours check in DRM scheme. Amazing how one bad day can tarnish a brand's good will.

See, guys? Allan does make some good posts and he doesn't hide the fact that Microsoft screwed up in the beginning. Some of you guys may just be a tad oversensitive.

That's the one I'm referring to. :p

I always agreed that he can make great posts at times. I only don't enjoy the other kind of posts much ;D

Oh man, that thread was legendary!

Yeah, I think people undersell the efforts Sony has made to make PlayStation a global brand over many years of great if not amazing home console support.

I do feel a bit vindicated when I see the domination Sony has in mainland Europe. I kept saying for years that Microsoft taking up huge chunks of E3 with NA-only (occasionally NA+UK only) promotions focused on TV and sports was sending a clear message to Europe that it wasn't important.

On the actual NPD sales, nothing surprises me here. Overwatch will have done most of its business online so 3rd at retail is nothing to sneeze at. GTAV is an absolute monster. Wii U... :(

anothertech

:)
Ya it's ok to be Xbone fan here. I'm one as well.

But npd predictions from me don't look it. MS made too many mistakes. Sony has had a 2:1 lead from the get go and doesn't look like its gonna change.

Every prediction this Gen I predict 2:1 Sony. If Ps4 going to be 200k, Xbone is 100k (that's what I predicted this month, and was really close it seems). Ps4 500k, Xbone 250k. Etc etc.

Not cause I'm partial to Sony, but it just makes sense this time around.

Thanks Aquamarine for the numbers.

There is nothing unexpected this month when it comes to hardware and probably software sales too.

I feel the same way.

PlayStation 4 sales in the US is anything but impressive. Its sales performance is the least that could be expected for the leading platform of this generation.

I have no problem with this. I just like to be consistent given the trajectory of the generation.

"PS4 doing the bare minimum for a market leader and XB1 doing utterly awful."

Reads similar to:

"PS4 doing great and XB1 doing decent to bad."

Just with a relatively diffrent point of view regarding the status of the gen. The underlying analysis with the numbers is still the same in both.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
Ya it's ok to be Xbone fan here. I'm one as well.

But npd predictions from me don't look it. MS made too many mistakes. Sony has had a 2:1 lead from the get go and doesn't look like its gonna change.

Every prediction this Gen I predict 2:1 Sony. If Ps4 going to be 200k, Xbone is 100k (that's what I predicted this month, and was really close it seems). Ps4 500k, Xbone 250k. Etc etc.

Not cause I'm partial to Sony, but it just makes sense this time around.

That makes no sense. They are at 15 to 13 million in the US, your predictions should be at 1.2-1.

viHuGi

Banned
Thanks Aquamarine for the numbers.

There is nothing unexpected this month when it comes to hardware and probably software sales too.

I feel the same way.

PlayStation 4 sales in the US is anything but impressive. Its sales performance is the least that could be expected for the leading platform of this generation.

How is not impressive to be outselling 360 wich sold 43m or more there? Am I missing something here?

Ryng_tolu

Banned
Sorry if abandoned the thread, i was sleeping.

Well, now that hardware is up, well, PS4 did great withouth surprise.

Wii U is at a new doomed level, but the surprise of the month is XBO :p like seriusly Wii U is death and all and we all know this, but those XBO numbers for a console that should be in the market for at least another 2 years, daaaaaaaaaaaamn that's super bad.

Great UC4 numbers, congrats to ND it's one of the best games I've played in years!
Sony dominating all software too basically.

Them bone numbers are horrific though, it damn near fell to 100k.
I don't know if they've got any game in the pipeline that can reverse their fortunes. Just release Scorpio, but even that seems to be coming way too late.

Also, I should really buy DOOM.

allan-bh

How is not impressive to be outselling 360 wich sold 43m or more there? Am I missing something here?

Best years for 360 happened late in the cycle (2010-11-12).

PS4 is doing better than PS2 launch aligned WW, but worst in USA, this is an example of how sales in NPD aren't so great as in other markets.

allan-bh

How much will an X1 slim change this outcome? I expect a launch spike but will it continue at a higher baseline.

If we look at Xbox 360 and PS3 Slim, yes, it's possible. I think a Slim model has potential to create a better trend for the system.

With great deals holiday can be huge for Xbox One Slim at the end of the year.

viHuGi

Banned
Best years for 360 happened late in the cycle (2010-11-12).

PS4 is doing better than PS2 launch aligned WW, but worst in USA, this is an example of how sales in NPD aren't so great as in other markets.

How do you know that ps4 won't have even better sales later in its life? For what matters in less than a year from know, Sony expects 60m Ps4 out there, that's insane already.

allan-bh

How do you know that ps4 won't have even better sales later in its life? For what matters in less than a year from know, Sony expects 60m Ps4 out there, that's insane already.

Because of Neo we will not have a fair comparison at the end, but the point is that outsell 360 in the early years isn't something particularly impressive, XBO is doing too and no one believes that can end with 85 million WW and more than 40 million in US.

I like Allan bh and his analyses, but I swear every NPD month is deja vu with the posts - he is always never impressed with PS4 related matters and always has a reason for justification whenever XB1 is not doing well. I love you Allan, but that's honestly how I've been seeing it for a long time now.

Rooting for the underdog effect. Nobody is 100% impartial here. You can kinda tell who in Sales-gaf has a Nintendo slant, Microsoft slant, Sony slant and who is more publisher focused.

You also get the impression that certain insiders lean specifically more towards Microsoft simply because they are so important to the US AAA publishers and are slightly annoyed at Sony's success, or at least, the celebration of that success.

The best thing to do is focus on the more impartial statement of facts and ignore the opinions and speculation.

Rymuth

Morning ~ Knew Cream couldn't have posted with only 22 pages in this thread.

Thanks for the numbers, Aqua, we love you.

Not accusing you of anything, BTW.

Yeah, the XB1 has really been underperforming in the US so far.

Gotta disagree about PS4 sales in the US. It's outpacing the PS2. Will that hold? Anyone's guess, but it's damn impressive.

Top Bottom