• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for May 2016

Rooting for the underdog effect. Nobody is 100% impartial here. You can kinda tell who in Sales-gaf has a Nintendo slant, Microsoft slant, Sony slant and who is more publisher focused.

You also get the impression that certain insiders lean specifically more towards Microsoft simply because they are so important to the US AAA publishers and are slightly annoyed at Sony's success, or at least, the celebration of that success.

The best thing to do is focus on the more impartial statement of facts and ignore the opinions and speculation.

Also, the threads themselves result in a bigger slant towards one company or another.

Mediacreate is largely Nintendo with a bit of Sony. PAL are largely Sony.

And NPD, we are anti- Nintendo :p

Asd202

So in June PS4 will be undoubtedly be down MoM I wonder if it will still stay up YoY. Damn you Sony for delaying NMS
it wouldn't change that though.

allan-bh

So in June PS4 will be undoubtedly be down MoM I wonder if it will still stay up YoY. Damn you Sony for delaying NMS
it wouldn't change that though.

Maybe note, june has an extra week. But will be down YoY for sure because sold 365k last year (Batman bundle)

Javin98

Banned
Gotta disagree about PS4 sales in the US. It's outpacing the PS2. Will that hold? Anyone's guess, but it's damn impressive.
Hey, man, it's actually behind the PS2 in the US. Worldwide, though, it is still ahead, but it should fall behind at some point this year. There is no doubt that the PS4 is doing incredibly well worldwide, though.

EGM1966

3 red lights aside, MS with 360 was great, really good planning and execution. If wasn't for Nintendo fairy tale they would win that generation.
To be honest, if Sony hadn't messed up they would prbably have won that generation not Xbox (or Nintendo).

Wii did amazing but had a short life and hit approx 100 million. It also didn't really compete much demographically with 360. I doubt synth much would have changed Wii performance and certainly it was untouched by PS3 and 360 through out its life. It was its own thing in its own market.

MS got 360 "right" but initial sales weren't amazing and the market was clearly waiting for PS3 after PS2 and all Sony had to do was deliver what market wanted to outsell 360.

Then when PS3 hit it was way top expensive for many because at the time it was basically a console and blu ray player combo vs much cheaper DVD option. Crucially it also had shit PSN vs well established Live and it was also a bitch to code for meaning initially games simply performed better on 360 (first year or so it was literally 60fos 360 version vs 30fps PS3 version IIRC).

That combo allowed market to see 360 as actually better option for current trends (online and shooter/action titles) and thus we got more or less a tie when Sony managed to pull of some 180s of its own and leverage its bigger brand and global market.

Had Sony got PS3 right I'm pretty sure it would have outsold Wii WW while 360 would have still been a success but less dominant in US dropping its total sales a bit WW. Ultimate I would have expected a result, if all three made all right choices, of a close result with PS3 first, Wii close behind and 360 not too far behind that. WW that is, I think US would have still seen 360 ahead but by much less of a gap.

It's all "maybe" but if you look at all three last gen and what they got right/wrong and the sales profiles of each market it's obvious Sony essentially "lost" the gen via a string of bad decisions coupled with good decisions from MS and Nintendo (well TBH Nintendo made risky decisions that struck gold which is their bigger issue overall only MS seemed to execute in a knowing way for Western market and US in particular at that time).

TBH it's the core brand and market Sony has that convinces me they need to screw up before competitors can top them (such as MS being way ahead with online for a period). That they could win 3 out of 4 gens and be more or less a draw for second place despite awful market blunders indicates they are tough to dislodge. It's hard to say why but the market performance speaks for itself. Nintendo are all over the place. I love 'em and they take crazy risks but as a business they are now unreliable in the market. The risk pas off and you get Wii, the risk doesn't and you get Wii U.

MS are solid but they seem to have X core issues:

They simply cannot get enough traction globally it seems. Without a stronger WW performance than even 360 they're never going to win a gen IMHO
Live/online aside they're too reactive and don't take enough risks. They follow a bit too much leaving themselves open to being caught off guard. They also cling too much to core IP
They try to push their strategy to consumers too much beyond pure gaming (XB1 being worst offender). They need to commit to gaming market first and foremost if they're going to have a console and extend logically from there. Trying to push a half console half new form of media consumption/interaction market didn't want dent work. Sony had same issue using PS3 to push blu ray ahead of market demand.

Thus far for Sony it seems just providing a solid console is the way to go coupled with regular new IP and not missing core trends like online gaming. The PS3 is their worst hour and it combines pushing their market strategy ahead of consumers with being late to a key trend (online gaming) as well as ignoring preferences of developer community.

allan-bh

To be honest, if Sony hadn't messed up they would prbably have won that generation not Xbox (or Nintendo).

Oh yeah, that's for sure. PS2 was a huge success, everyone was looking for PS3, in the same way that happened with PS2 on PS1 era.

Sony did the same as Microsoft this gen, screwed everything.

Rooting for the underdog effect. Nobody is 100% impartial here. You can kinda tell who in Sales-gaf has a Nintendo slant, Microsoft slant, Sony slant and who is more publisher focused.

You also get the impression that certain insiders lean specifically more towards Microsoft simply because they are so important to the US AAA publishers and are slightly annoyed at Sony's success, or at least, the celebration of that success.

The best thing to do is focus on the more impartial statement of facts and ignore the opinions and speculation.

It's more like the hometown advantage. I have a news aggregator on my phone and in the console section, it finds 3 Xbox news for 1 playstation news even if I tell it to show less Xbox content. It's like boxing in Phillies, you're always the underdog because the judges will screw you up if you don't score a knockout or the ref will let the other guy do illegal stuff all night long.

I'm surprised that Battleborn came in 4th tbh. With all the vitriol here about the game I fully expected this title to bomb, and I'm happy for Gearbox that it didn't. Those boys and girls out in Gearbox worked there asses off to make the game.

Having said that it still had the entire month of May and still couldn't overtake Overwatch. I'm even more surprised Overwatch didn't have the top spot with the fervor about Overwatch on here (and deservedly so, it's my personal GOTY thus far)

Glad that MLB The Show 2016 charted again, Sony SD deserves it. And GTA V and Minecraft, those things aren't even games they're just printing money hand over fist.

Oh yeah, that's for sure. PS2 was a huge success, everyone was looking for PS3, in the same way that happened with PS2 on PS1 era.

Yea, that $600 price tag scared away many of my 16-17 year old friends back in high school and I remember many of them getting X360 because of it.

My parents were balling so I got the ps3...anyone remember when you had to close a game in order to send a message...no in-game XMB.

These were my predictions from the May Prediction thread.

Predictions:
-UC4 sells 850k retail (no bundles).
-Overwatch is sub-400k, PS4 leads 60/40
-Doom outsells Overwatch but still lands around <500k, also PS4 leading 60/40

I feel like I'm on track so far. Please Aqua/Cream, deliver those SW numbers.

allan-bh

I'm surprised that Battleborn came in 4th tbh. With all the vitriol here about the game I fully expected this title to bomb, and I'm happy for Gearbox that it didn't. Those boys and girls out in Gearbox worked there asses off to make the game.

Having said that it still had the entire month of May and still couldn't overtake Overwatch. I'm even more surprised Overwatch didn't have the top spot with the fervor about Overwatch on here (and deservedly so, it's my personal GOTY thus far)

Glad that MLB The Show 2016 charted again, Sony SD deserves it. And GTA V and Minecraft, those things aren't even games they're just printing money hand over fist.

Well, maybe it did. I mean, it's possible that sold less than 200k since it's just one position ahead of GTA V.

Less than 200k for a multiplat that had all month for sales isn't a disaster like the new Homefront, but is a little bomb.

EGM1966

Yup. It's been odd to see.

I'm hoping though both Sony and MS clearly see now what you don't do in this market. Better for consumers they compete by getting things right vs losing by getting things wrong.

Fady K

I agree, having been here for 10 years now it becomes easier to see who is affiliated with what, not that there's anything wrong with that especially when it is tied to their gaming tastes.

Your last sentence though - I think that's fantastic advice ;D Helps us deal with the bigger picture whilst saving a lot of time in the process.

Gurish

PS4 dominates the chart, I guess we don't need a PR to know it sold the most (a strange habit by Sony recently, why did they stop giving a victory PR like they always do? last month they didn't release a PR as well), but do we have a general number of how many PS4 sold?

Javin98

Banned
PS4 dominates the chart, I guess we don't need a PR to know it sold the most (a strange habit by Sony recently, why did they stop giving a victory PR like they always do? last month they didn't release a PR as well), but do we have a general number of how many PS4 sold?
207K this month, the XB1 sold 107K by comparison.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
Software is up, thanks to Aquamarine on Gamrconnect / VG Chartz.

Uncharted 4: 879K (With bundle) [Bundle is less than 70K]
DOOM: 521K
OverWatch: 361K (on console, and other 50k-100k on PC)
Battleborn: over 125K, under 175K

So Sony is done doing PR now and only gonna do milestones?

50 million? A billion units software type stuff I guess?

Weird, but I like it...

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
So Uncarted 4 DID not outsell Halo. For a second I actually thought it did, because PS4 does have lead even in NA.

Javin98

Banned
Software is up.

Uncharted 4: 879K (With bundle)
OverWatch: 361K
Battleborn: 125K-175K range
GTA V: 110K
6. Minecraft (PS4 > XBO > 360 > PS3)
7. NBA 2K16: 96K
Wow, Uncharted 4 actually performed worse than I thought. Damn, this means Halo 5 actually debuted better. Strange how the UK saw a much larger boost compared to Uncharted 3 percentage wise.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
GTA V sold 110,000 this May (164,000 last May)
Black Ops III 84,000 (withouth bundle) (over 204,000 with bundle)
NBA 2K16 sold 96,000 this month (NBA 2K15 sold 92,000 last year)
Dark Souls 3 sold 80,000

viHuGi

Banned
Software is up.

Uncharted 4: 879K (With bundle) [Bundle is less than 70K]
OverWatch: 361K
Battleborn: over 125K, under 175K

Amazing for Uncharted 4 but this just shows how strong EU and ROW is for the franchise since in its 1st week it sold 2.7m alone WW.

Also Doom <3 <3 <3

GTA V sold 110,000 this May (164,000 last May)
Black Ops III 84,000 (withouth bundle) (over 204,000 with bundle)
NBA 2K16 sold 96,000 this month (NBA 2K15 sold 92,000 last year)
Dark Souls 3 sold 80,000

GTA V and Black Ops 3 wont stop will they?

Kill3r7

Good numbers. UC4 did well. Doom did really well and Overwatch is PC heavy, which is to be expected. The rest are basically chalk. Battleborn = QB.

Not bad for UC4. So about a million or so with digital in the US. The series just isn't as strong in the US as it is in the ROTW it seems.

I was considerably off on UC4. I should have stuck with my initial ~800K lol.

It is just a bigger WW title. Granted, the US performance is still very good.

Really weak for Uncharted 4, for reference TLOU did 985k first month. EU picking up the slack like nobody's business, NA gamers just don't care much for Sonys first party output and for this game, too right.

I wonder if it will break 200k next month.

Edit - Calm yourselves down, chill. I'm talking more about ratios here, NA accounting for a tiny sum of total UC4 sales is what I'm referring to. Even with digital, NA looks to be accounting for less than 35% which is insane.

These were my predictions:

-UC4 sells 850k retail (no bundles).
-Overwatch is sub-400k, PS4 leads 60/40
-Doom outsells Overwatch but still lands around <500k, also PS4 leading 60/40

Wrong on Doom, slightly off on UC4. Not bad.

Top Bottom