• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for May 2016

Really weak for Uncharted 4, for reference TLOU did 985k first month. EU picking up the slack like nobody's business, NA gamers just don't care much for Sonys first party output and for this game, too right.

I wonder if it will break 200k next month.

A million or more with digital = weak? lol why do you even bother. Very few exclusives do this well.

Halo is beast.

I think Gears will pull million on release month too.

Gears will decline like Halo did. That game needs a major shakeup the gameplay has aged by todays standards.

Gurish

Halo is beast.

I think Gears will pull million on release month too.

I feel like those IPs (Halo and Gears) are the main reasons why people bought the ONE, so the attach rate will be higher than any Sony IP.

And Uncharted 4 beating U3 (even without including bundles) with a smaller install base + not releasing in Holidays like U3 is pretty amazing, not sure how can anyone be disappointed.

3 red lights aside, MS with 360 was great, really good planning and execution. If wasn't for Nintendo fairy tale they would win that generation.

Not really - key factor in Microsoft success was 1 year delay of PS3 and barebone Sony library in first 2 years of PS3 life. Despite that and even when they had price advantage for most of generation they still let Sony catch up to them.

Really weak for Uncharted 4, for reference TLOU did 985k first month. EU picking up the slack like nobody's business, NA gamers just don't care much for Sonys first party output and for this game, too right.

KobeFacepalmPinchNose.gif

Kill3r7

So Halo is a much more stronger IP in the US than Uncharted is.

Halo of old, absolutely. Halo on X1 not so much.

Not really - key factor in Microsoft success was 1 year delay of PS3 and barebone Sony library in first 2 years of PS3 life. Despite that and even when they had price advantage for most of generation they still let Sony catch up to them.

WW absolutely but US was never close. If anything MS performance in the UK was the most impressive feat of 360.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
I feel like those IPs (Halo and Gears) are the main reasons why people bought the ONE, so the attach rate will be higher than any Sony IP.

And Uncharted 4 beating U3 (even without including bundles) with a smaller install base + not releasing in Holidays like U3 is pretty amazing, not sure how can anyone be disappointed.

Not disappointed or saying the numbers are low. Those numbers are terrific no doubt.

But people here were too sure about Uncharted will do better than Halo on release month.

And despite all the negativity going against Halo 5, it still pulled tremendous numbers.

MrS

Banned
DOOM is #1 in my heart. Glad to see it doing well.

Props to GOTY Dark Souls 3 for sticking in there.

Nah...revisionist history, the year head start (16 months in Europe) was the biggest factor.

People truly underestimate how much that established player base did for adoption, development and marketing. Launch aligned, PS3 sold faster than the 360. IDK why this is always forgotten

Raylan

Banned
The wording makes it sound like UC4 sold less than UC3, considering the advertising budget this game must've had that does not seem too great. TLOU I remember did almost 1 million on a console that was on it's way out and it just kept on selling, once does have to wonder why ND went back to a franchise like Uncharted.

2.7 million first week sounds great but when you add in the advertising, where even your gran would have not been able to escape from a forced look at the game it's nothing special. I think Fallout 4 on PS4 alone did better and damn that must be a kick in the teeth, seeing how that piece of shit makes UC4 look like a masterpiece and that's saying something.

Edit - Calm yourselves down, chill. I'm talking more about ratios here, NA accounting for a tiny sum of total UC4 sales is what I'm referring to. Even with digital, NA looks to be accounting for less than 35% which is insane.

I feel the same. This was the first game I purchased since GT5 and was looking forward to it simply because the last game these directors made was TLOU. It's not a good game, unlike TLOU I will never play the SP again and unless co-op delivers, I'll just delete it off my hard drive.

It's only been a few weeks but can already tell this ain't going to be the kind of game that people have very fond memories of in a few years time, which TLOU and UC2 have enjoyed. It's a fuck up from Straley and particularly Druckmann, who should go write a book if he's serious about storytelling rather then forcing that down the throat of someone playing a game. Let's see where they go next, Druckmann was also writing that film but from the sounds of it, things don't look to be going brilliantly so hopefully he can put all his attention to fixing that. whilst Straley makes another game without such distractions.
Like a clockwork.

It's okay, dude. We get it. You don't like Uncharted 4, Druckmann and Straley.

People truly underestimate how much that established player base did for adoption, development and marketing. Launch aligned, PS3 sold faster than the 360. IDK why this is always forgotten

I don't either it gave MS a huge advantage, some exclusives by default because ps3 was late, and mindshare. Devs got dev kits much later and it took awhile for ps3 to recover from that,.

Not disappointed or saying the numbers are low. Those numbers are terrific no doubt.

But people here were too sure about Uncharted will do better than Halo on release month.

And despite all the negativity going against Halo 5, it still pulled tremendous numbers.

I was one of the ones who initially thought it would do better (back when the release date was in March). Though I changed my mind later.

They're close but yea, Halo still pulled huge numbers. That's undeniable (as standalone, not relative to past games).

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Not when you consider that Halo use to sell 2-3 million during its first month of release (NPD only).

Please stop trying to downplay it with the same argument. Halo is not as big as it used to be? Yes. I think everyone agrees on that.

Why don't you look at the fact that Halo 5 was not critically acclaimed, After the MCC fuck up there was lot of negativity going around the franchise, there aren't as many Xbox as PS4. Meanwhile U4 had everything positive going around, Reviews, ND previous game TLOU, more PS4, grand finale to beloved franchise.

Like a clockwork.

It's okay, dude. We get it. You don't like Uncharted 4, Druckmann and Straley.

Fuck you on about, Straley is the best director out there for me and TLOU is the best game I've played in the last 5 years. Druckmann pushed story too much and for that UC4 ended up pretty shit, that I agree with.

People can voice their opinions on a game, nothing wrong with that. It's just that after the huge expectations left after TLOU, their latest was not so great. I don't think there was anyone more hyped than me before UC4 released, it was a huge letdown to say the least.

Wow at NBA 2k16 charting and Sony offering it as a PS+ title this month. Crazy.

Beat me too making this comment, i was shocked and best selling sku too, look forward to giving it a try as from the UK and no intrest in basketball would never of bought it but heard such good things certainly want to give it a shot.

Hi NPD thread have been reading for a long time 1st time commenting.

So my big question is do you see Rocket League charting when it is released? I mean so many have already bought it but could it be the next GTA/Minecraft certainly is on the psn rarely out the top 5. Kind of hope it is as love that game with 6+ days played on team fat flag, think it will be very intresting to see as seems to be a you got the system you should get x y z game, i certainly know a fair few people that have.

Congrats Uncharted, Doom, Overwatch and Battleborn.

Fuck you on about, Straley is the best director out there for me and TLOU is the best game I've played in the last 5 years. Druckmann pushed story too much and for that UC4 ended up pretty shit, that I agree with.

People can voice their opinions on a game, nothing wrong with that. It's just that after the huge expectations left after TLOU, their latest was not so great.

This is an NPD thread.....about sales. Which you have used every opportunity to try and spin UC4 as disappointing which is laughable. You made your point no need to keep repeating it.

People can voice their opinions on a game, nothing wrong with that. It's just that after the huge expectations left after TLOU, their latest was not so great.

Uncharted is a different kind of game than tLoU. People were very critical of the similarities between the two games as it is. I just think expecting the themes and characters to be as impactful when the game is clearly pulpy fiction is a bit shortsighted.

Uncharted is a different kind of game than tLoU. People were very critical of the similarities between the two games as it is. I just think expecting the themes and characters to be as impactful when the game is clearly pulpy fiction is a bit shortsighted.

Leave him be.

He forgets that digital is a thing in pushing his narrative. And the ROTW.

Edit - Calm yourselves down, chill. I'm talking more about ratios here, NA accounting for a tiny sum of total UC4 sales is what I'm referring to. Even with digital, NA looks to be accounting for less than 35% which is insane.

Is TLOU Sony's biggest franchise in the US? It has to be either that or GOW.

I, for one, will purchase a PS4 when they have TLOU 2 or GTAVI out, whichever comes first.

Did Druckmann shit in your cereal? You rail on him, ND, and UC4 in multiple threads

sflufan

Banned
I'm even more surprised Overwatch didn't have the top spot with the fervor about Overwatch on here (and deservedly so, it's my personal GOTY thus far)

The overwhelming majority of Overwatch's player base is on the PC who purchased the game digitally through Battle.Net and will not be reflected in the NPDs.

Raylan

Banned

People can voice their opinions on a game, nothing wrong with that. It's just that after the huge expectations left after TLOU, their latest was not so great. I don't think there was anyone more hyped than me before UC4 released, it was a huge letdown to say the least.
Uncharted is not The Last of Us. Uncharted 4 selling around 900K - 1 million (including digital sales) in May is insane.
In the end, it will sell ~10 million copies worldwide. Your 'really weak' comments are nonsense.

You are trying to spin UC4 sales as disappointing. Give it up, dude. The numbers are amazing.

00ich

That's not true. ;)

I would say that fans in this site are something like:

NPD: 55% Sony / 35% MS / 10% Nintendo
Media Create: 60% Nintendo / 40% Sony
PAL: 75% Sony / 15% Nintendo / 10% MS

Which is not too far from the market share in the respective territories.

EGM1966

Wow, Uncharted 4 actually performed worse than I thought. Damn, this means Halo 5 actually debuted better. Strange how the UK saw a much larger boost compared to Uncharted 3 percentage wise.
It's not really strange.

UK 360 and PS3 had smaller gap than US ration wise and Uncharted was popular. Hence this gen with PS4 having a bigger ratio gap over XB1 in Uk than US U4 saw bigger boost ratio wise than US.

Seems expected to me.

U4 did well in US given that was, ratio wise, probably worst region for PS3 relative to Halo.

Not sure why people executed it to top Halo. Halo's star is tarnished somewhat vs peak but it's not that bad in US and XB1 isn't that bad in US either.

Decent Doom numbers though, particularly as a big chunk of Steam sales are missing (same for Overwatch too).

I really didn't think Doom could sell like that and it's nice to see WoM and solid reviews generating the interest I think the game deserves.

Software is up, thanks to Aquamarine on Gamrconnect / VG Chartz.

Uncharted 4: 879K (With bundle) [Bundle is less than 70K]
DOOM: 521K
OverWatch: 361K (on console, and other 50k-100k on PC)
Battleborn: over 125K, under 175K

Thanks for the numbers (and Aqua!)
I predicted 850-900k personally.

Wow, Uncharted 4 actually performed worse than I thought. Damn, this means Halo 5 actually debuted better. Strange how the UK saw a much larger boost compared to Uncharted 3 percentage wise.

Hmm but it's still the 3rd best selling Sony first party after GoW III and TLoU (which had a bigger install base)

I think it's a very decent debut. The Halo convo is just dick measuring at this point.
I'm more interested in lifetime sales tbh.

Kill3r7

Please stop trying to downplay it with the same argument. Halo is not as big as it used to be? Yes. I think everyone agrees on that.

Why don't you look at the fact that Halo 5 was not critically acclaimed, After the MCC fuck up there was lot of negativity going around the franchise, there aren't as many Xbox as PS4. Meanwhile U4 had everything positive going around, Reviews, ND previous game TLOU, more PS4, grand finale to beloved franchise.

I am not downplaying it. The difference between the top franchises among the big 3 is not as large as it once was. If I am not mistaken Halo 5 had the highest first party first month sales so far this gen (NPD). Ultimately, this is a sales thread where we like to analyze and predict sales trends. Acknowledging that a once amazing franchise is experiencing some serious decline is worth noting. Also, review scores have little to no bearing on sales.

PS. For what it's worth, Halo is my favorite MS franchise and the primary reason why I own every MS console. Halo 5 has the best MP since Halo 3.

Gurish

No one really care what you think about the game, the problem is that you do your best to make it seem like a disappointment financially and this is bullshit, it sold more than U3 with half of the installment base and without releasing during the holidays, the game is a big success and your attempts to show otherwise are a little pathetic.

00ich

Software is up, thanks to Aquamarine on Gamrconnect / VG Chartz.

OverWatch: 361K (on console, and other 50k-100k on PC)
Battleborn: over 125K, under 175K

Hmm, Overwatch is a massive hit and Battleborn a flop of equal proportions. Which narrative is wrong? I have no reference point for MP-only sales.

Matthew23

Overwatch, the multiplayer shooter from publisher Blizzard, is a blockbuster hit. While industry-tracking firm The NPD Group announced today that the PlayStation 4 exclusive Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End was the top-selling game in May, that’s only for new games sold at physical retailers in the United States. If you bring in digital and, more importantly, digital PC sales, Overwatch is selling at a pace that’s around twice as fast as Uncharted, which is only on PlayStation 4. In May, Sony confirmed that the first week sales for Uncharted 4 surpassed 2.7 million. That’s enormous for a single-platform release in the middle of spring. But Overwatch, which debuted on PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC, sold more than 7 million copies in its first week.

http://venturebeat.com/2016/06/09/may-2016-npd-uncharted-finds-its-fortune-ahead-of-doom-overwatch/

Not bad OW.

sflufan

Banned
Hmm, Overwatch is a massive hit and Battleborn a flop of equal proportions. Which narrative is wrong? I have no reference point for MP-only sales.

Again, the undisputed lion's share of Overwatch's sales are for the PC digitally through Battle.Net and will never be represented in the NPDs.

RexNovis

Banned
I don't think you understood what my post said. I'm not commenting on the volume of sales typical of console hardware in May. I'm commenting on the meager boost to PS4 hardware compared to last year's baseline in terms of units. The low baseline sales only serve to embellish how much of a boost there was. If there was nothing going or it, I'd agree the boost was solid. But it had the backing of an INCREDIBLY generous trade in offer, on top of being significantly cheaper and having its single biggest, most hype fueled exclusive release to date plus very little competition from X1 this month.

prwxv3,

Are you suggesting factors like pricing, trade in offer and major exclusives are multiplicative factors for sales boosts instead of additive?

It is the first console to break 200k units in May since the 360 in 2011 when the Kinect released. Context is key. Stop willfully disregarding it. You're being painfully and embarrassingly obvious.

00ich

The audience for Uncharted seems a lot narrower (towards 25-35) than Halo's. TLOU on PS3 vs Uncharted 4 on PS4 compares fine given the difference in the install base.

00ich

Again, the undisputed lion's share of Overwatch's sales are for the PC digitally through Battle.Net and will never be represented in the NPDs.

Oh, right. So overwatch on consoles is not such a big hit, but it is the million seller it feels like.
Blizzard should really do more on consoles. They haven't even ported hearthstone.

RexNovis

Banned
It still sold in a week almost the same as what U4 did in more than 20 days

UC4 released in what is historically the single slowest month of the entire year and still managed to get within spitting distance of Halo 5 which released in October which is among the higher sales months of the year. This is not an apples to apples comparison.

There's also the matter of Uncjarted being a very successful IP WW as opposed to Halo's very heavy US and UK split. When US accounts for something around 30% of one and something around 60% of the other it's kind of obtuse to proclaim the later selling marginally more in that region on a much busier sales month as buzz worthy.

Even still there's also each IPs historical sales per entry to consider. Uncharted 4 marks the best debut for that IP in the US whereas Halo 5 marks the series lowest debut with a drop of more than 40% from the closed numbered entry. In the end, given all of the relevant context, it's a rather Pyrrhic victory.

What did Halo 5 do including bundles in the first month of release? I recall a 860k figure or something going around but not sure if that included bundles or not.

Top Bottom