• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for November 2015 [Up3: Combined Hardware For PS4 + XB1 + Wii U]

allan-bh

Isn't the 9% over Fallout 3 a typo? As in, should've been 90% instead? FO3 sold 610k in its first month.

Callahan made a gymnastic for give these percentages:

"Adjusting for days within the data month, this was the best Fallout launch in the history of the franchise having sold over 70 percent more units than Fallout: New Vegas and 9 percent more units than Fallout 3."

Yeah it's crazy. I think they are trying to squeeze every bit of profit from the PS3 now. Shame it hasn't dropped much in the last couple of years... hoping for a PS3 super slim, at least something that can be travel friendly. :)

I don't think its even possible to reduce the PS3's price. The Cell is still a specialized component and its not gonna be getting a new, cheaper revision anytime soon, if ever.

Ogimachi

Callahan made a gymnastic for give these percentages:

"Adjusting for days within the data month, this was the best Fallout launch in the history of the franchise having sold over 70 percent more units than Fallout: New Vegas and 9 percent more units than Fallout 3."
70% over FNV is still 1.7 million, though.

Pezus

Sorry for having a positive outlook on life guys. I'll list the points for what I'm ridiculous for thinking:
  • Developers can actually get jobs
  • Developers will be proud that they made an amazing game, without taking account sales
  • Developers will be proud that the feedback from the people playing the game is great, and that they're not disappointed because it didn't sell that well.

all well and good but what does that have to do with the sales thread?

DryvBy

It seems like they'd have a clause in their contract that if (I assume MS handled marketing) doesn't perform well on the Xbox brand within a month or two, then the deal is off and they can put these out sooner on PC and PS4.

But I'm just a dumb peon that doesn't know how anything works in the business world.

Reality is, if your a good developer, you'll never find it that hard to get a job. Even if it's just a basic one to tie you over until you find something special. Yeah it'll cause stress and worry, but the work climate isn't that bad. If you want to focus in games, then yeah, I can understand, but obviously skillsets between game dev and normal software dev are very transferable and you shouldn't restrict yourself in a tight spot.

Most of my mates are software devs, and its the same for them. That's what the climate is like in IT here, in the UK anyway.

Now I'm wondering how this has gone from devs simply being happy, to job climates.

Your really an arse. I don't believe it, I fucking know it. I'm involved in this area day to day.

Wait, wait... in one post, you said in (or I assume close to) 2 years, your company couldn't find good enough developers so you guys outsourced to India. You're telling me in 2 years, no one in your area was worthy of developing software for you guys? Is your IT company based in farmland or something?

Now imagine for a second this happening to the CD devs. They're game didn't sell. It looks bad on paper. It sucks looking for jobs. You have to get familiar with all new policies and people. Your organic team is broken up and now you have to find your place all over again.

My dad is a heck of an engineer and he was out of work for nearly a year. The job offers headhunters were throwing at him were paying hardly anything. That's what happens when the economy actually sucks. Jobs and pay sucks.

Generic empathy is all it takes. Quit thinking these people live your life and understand looking for work sucks and not everyone has the same experiences.

le.phat

Sorry for having a positive outlook on life guys. I'll list the points for what I'm ridiculous for thinking:
  • Developers can actually get jobs
  • Developers will be proud that they made an amazing game, without taking account sales
  • Developers will be proud that the feedback from the people playing the game is great, and that they're not disappointed because it didn't sell that well.

Developers can all feel these things, and STILL be dissapointed in the reception/sales, and developers can still be worried about the implications of delivering a product that underperforms.

johnny956

all well and good but what does that have to do with the sales thread?

Seriously just start a new thread instead of derailing a sales thread.

Yea I think the PS3 is pretty much at its limit when it comes to cost reductions. I'm sure Sony would love for to drop it more for developing countries

It seems like they'd have a clause in their contract that if (I assume MS handled marketing) doesn't perform well on the Xbox brand within a month or two, then the deal is off and they can put these out sooner on PC and PS4.

But I'm just a dumb peon that doesn't know how anything works in the business world.

Would have been good, but I don't think this happened.
Why did it seem like that? Have you any indication?

driver116

I don't see why they would. It just seems like average sales is a risk they'd take, along with possibly tarnishing the franchise, when they were offered the money.

Sad to hear Yokai Watch did poorly. My daughter absolutely loves it and it's so much more technically competent than Pokemon it's scary.

Seriously just start a new thread instead of derailing a sales thread.

Yea I think the PS3 is pretty much at its limit when it comes to cost reductions. I'm sure Sony would love for to drop it more for developing countries

Would it really be worth them dropping the PS3 price for developing countries? It seems like they've decided to forgo that strategy to just push the PS4 worldwide.

stryke

I've seen nothing but praise for the title, with GOTY references. Just cause no-one had a clue it existed/released, doesn't mean the response wasn't good.

Consumer response means market performance, not impressions you selectively read on the internet.

I don't think its even possible to reduce the PS3's price. The Cell is still a specialized component and its not gonna be getting a new, cheaper revision anytime soon, if ever.

Yeah, thats a shame if thats the case... would be nice to get a smaller PS3, I'd get another PS3 if it was available and say £100.

robo

Yeah it's crazy. I think they are trying to squeeze every bit of profit from the PS3 now. Shame it hasn't dropped much in the last couple of years... hoping for a PS3 super slim, at least something that can be travel friendly. :)

I took my original fat ps3 and then my first release slim with me all the time. i work away a lot and never had any issues with either of them.

Currently my ps4 gets boxed up on a sunday and plays hop the hotel wifi signals the rest of the week until its gets proper internet on a friday when I get home.

Never had any issues while travelling, all have been rock solid.

Hoje0308

Banned
You really have to wonder how future Xbox One exclusives will perform in terms of sales.These sales and the poor marketing for some of their titles doesn't bode well.

Tomb Raider is too big of a name to only open with 200k even if the audience isn't ideal and the release timing was poor. Those new IPs next year are probably doomed to the same fate or worse unfortunately.(Scalebound, Quantum Break, Recore, Sea of Thieves)

Tomb Raider is a bit of a special case. The thing was handled poorly from the beginning and releasing in November was a bad idea. Releasing the same day as Fallout was just plain stupid. Quantum Break will be fine,I expect, while the rest will be an uphill battle just like the release of any new IP. I could see Scalebound and Sea of Thieves doing well though, if marketed to their respective audiences properly. A price cut next year would probably help the latter immensely.

DryvBy

Would have been good, but I don't think this happened.
Why did it seem like that? Have you any indication?

My ending explains my position: I'm a dirty peon that knows nothing about business. I meant it seems in a position to accept money for exclusive rights, you'd have a fall back if your game didn't sell well. But again, I dunno. I just post on GAF!

I could see Scalebound and Sea of Thieves doing well though, if marketed to their respective audiences properly. A price cut next year would probably help the latter immensely.

Sea of Thieves will be the one to watch. I can imagine many FTP mechanics and microtransactions. Done well, it should be very lucrative and hated by a lot of people at the same time.

robo

Long story. I was just stating that the developers will feel proud of the game they made, and it spiraled.

pride comes before a fall

A person who is extremely proud of his or her abilities will often suffer a setback or failure, because he or she tends to be overconfident and to make errors of judgment.

Seems rather apt given the sequence of events.

Plus you cant pay bills with Proud only Pounds ;)

Over 2/3rd of your post history is calling Gaf dumb/crazy/mad seems a lot closer to passive-aggression masked under a flimsy 'lol' than happy-go-lucky but whatever helps you keep the circus going.

I can be happy-go-lucky too...El oh El ;)

I promise you it isn't passive aggression. I will take a long hard look at my posts before pressing the post button from now on. Thx for the insight, into how my posts are being interpreted, when being read.

I think both consoles sold extremely well this month. Ps4 genuinely is selling insane numbers

I would like to know how many copies of the ndc sold.

Thing is, most copies of NDC have been attached to the PS4 bundle, which NPD does not track. But even if NDC standalone bombed (200k something), it is not far fetched to asume both together reached 7 digit copies in November in the US.

Loudninja

Thing is, most copies of NDC have been attached to the PS4 bundle, which NPD does not track. But even if NDC standalone bombed (200k something), it is not far fetched to asume both together reached 7 digit copies in November in the US.
They do track its just not included in the charts.

Long tail, dude, long tail. It'll be fine on X1.

Can't believe Need for Speed sold enough to chart. Now we're never getting a sequel to Porsche Unleashed, instead we're going to get more of... that. Yuck.

Is this in reference to a previous post because TR aint ever going to be fine man.

stryke

I doubt NDC standalone would be up from last month.

Hanmik

Long story. I was just stating that the developers will feel proud of the game they made, and it spiraled.

Leeh. have you bought The Rise of Tomb Raider for your Xbox One..? and will you buy a copy for the PS4 once it releases..?

You really have to wonder how future Xbox One exclusives will perform in terms of sales.These sales and the poor marketing for some of their titles doesn't bode well.

Tomb Raider is too big of a name to only open with 200k even if the audience isn't ideal and the release timing was poor. Those new IPs next year are probably doomed to the same fate or worse unfortunately.(Scalebound, Quantum Break, Recore, Sea of Thieves)
Well Scalebound and Nier are likely to fail financially because they're Platinum bombers. QB depends, but I think it will do well enough to turn this into a franchise. That's why MS recast a younger actor for the main role, so they can make more of these games. Recore from that cool picture I saw looks like an indie game so it doesn't need to sell a lot to do well. Even if it does bad, MS loses so little it won't matter. It should at least make its money back, at the very least. We need to see more of SoT.

QaaQer

Eh, You can always play the old games. Wishing this particular new reboot illwill despite a) the hard work and care that went into it and b) the gamers who DO want to continue to see it grow (which takes nothing from you), is self-centered. It's one thing to assert it's not for you, it's an entirely another when you're wishing that no one else gets to see more of it

GAF thought police out in full force last night.

TR is a standard 3rd person action adventure shooter with rpg mechanics. Aside from a few optional tomb puzzles that any dorito snorter in a Dew coma could complete, it is just a checklisted, heavily playtested, poorly written, hugely violent, sexualized corporate product that will be forgotten like tr2013.

And pulling the "Won't anyone think of the poor passionate devs devoting their lives to their art and their families!" is such stupid emotional blackmail. They are highly paid, highly skilled folk living in the richest country in the world making disposable violent entertainment for teens. They will never be out of work for long, and their current lives' work is unimportant. Folk who actually need sympathy live in places like Syria.

Finally, aside from a few Buddhist monks, everyone gets happy when something they don't like fails: sports teams, political parties, film franchises, etc. It is not some bizarre DSM mental dosorder that should be named and shamed, ffs.

And no, I'm not fan old Tomb Raider hating on the new. IMO, they both suck, lol.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Think a Nintendo hardware revision every year. Like a New NX XL Light. Now also on the console side.

...that patent about SCDs could be a hint about how they'd tackle an attempt to trying to "reinvent" the generations' concept (assuming it's indeed a family of devices) on the home front, since it's much easier to sell a revision of a portable device every two years than a revision of a home device every two years.

Top Bottom