• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for November 2015 [Up3: Combined Hardware For PS4 + XB1 + Wii U]

Have you SEEN mainstream media? It doesn't matter the form, it's almost ALWAYS about pageviews, viewers, ratings, advertisers, etc. CNN and Fox News (who I would assume fall into your latter category) sensationalize things to get people into a news-baited feeding frenzy... so you'll watch/surf their content so they can make money... from advertisements.

I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just saying even the "professionals" have similar motives. I think AP, Reuters, and possibly BBC News are the closest news (of any sort) that are unbiased and (at least not blatantly) driven by ad-money... So when people aren't paid at all (or are paid terribly) to write about games, I guess I don't get my hopes up that they're going to be doing much more than writing their opinions and about what they're passionate about/against... not too many people are passionate about news/long form/investigative reports on "vidya games"

I'll give you that a lot of modern news media outlets are like that, but at the same time, it does not even begin to approach how bad the gaming media is.

I wonder what Microsoft will do with Halo. I know I said this last NPD thread but I don't know how they can justify the same level of investment in the franchise if sales have fallen off like they have. The writing is on the wall, Microsoft has to invest more heavily in new IP. More than that, they need some very highly reviewed (90+ MC) hits.

I wonder, what 343 can do to bring fans back into the fold? If not for Halo but for another franchise.

I don't think Halo is suffering near as much as folks make it out to be. The problem isn't Halo, it's the bungled launch that hurt sales and continues to drive a vocal backlash against the console and anything that seems to represent the XB1. There was zero chance that anything remotely close to the hip for Halo 3 would ever happen on this console. And if the launch didn't doom it, then the botched release of the MCC sure as heck did.

But Halo 5 is fantastic. I get that some may not like changes, but the gameplay needed to adapt to current standards for shooters. After playing a ton of the MCC, it feels great to play Halo with the kind of features that are expected in current shooters. And the campaign is fun to play, to boot.

I don't believe for a second that acquiescing to the vocal minority of Halo fans that want zero evolution in gameplay would actually help sales.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Xb0e6Pb.png
Wow. These numbers are much closer than I expected.

And that poor WiiU.

Thanks for clarify.

A key component of The NPD Group data is distinguishing how the regular software market is doing, sans hardware bundles and variants.

This is very important for retailers and developers and publishers (who undoubtedly read this forum thread) because they rely on the regular software market, and I wanted to draw a comparison to it.

Regular, normal Call of Duty software is up 8% year-over-year, with two fewer days tracked than last year. And that's a really important metric because it speaks to the power of the Black Ops brand and it signals vitality within the packaged software market.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
0.06% out of nearly 45m 360 sold in the US means nearly 27k copies of the game sold on 360.
Split is around 175k Xbox One and 25k 360. Seems like a reasonable ratio.

Thank you. Glad someone knew how many 360s have been sold in the U.S. to figure out Queso's hint.

Thanks, I guess it's bad comparatively, but I imagine they'll take what they can get.

It's exactly the same as last November for the Wii U. Considering what launched recently this year versus what launched recently last year, it's kind of a win, I guess. (I'm putting a hell of a spin on it, though.)

The industry needs a healthy Nintendo doing Nintendo things. NIN software share is still quite good, and their ASPs are fantastic compared to rest of industry. Just need to get that HW going again. Hopefully NX...

I never understood this sentiment. I mean I understand why someone personally may want Nintendo to do well enough to not go extinct (not that I believe they will ever go extinct) since they release different type of games for a different market than what most publishers do and they fill a role in the market. But why would say Bethesda, EA, Activision, Take Two care if the Wii U (or NX) does poorly? I mean the only member of the industry that seems to care about the market Nintendo created with the Wii and Wii U seems to be Ubisoft while the others seem more than happy to not even bothering supporting Nintendo.

It's exactly the same as last November for the Wii U. Considering what launched recently this year versus what launched recently last year, it's kind of a win, I guess. (I'm putting a hell of a spin on it, though.)

I'm guessing if you told them it would be flat YoY six or seven months ago, they would have taken that in a heartbeat.

ZOONAMI

-_-

(not trying to be a downer, but it is what it is. Only 3DS is doing well in Japan)

Yeah, PS4 doing just over a million there YTD is bad I guess, and Wii U 600k is worse. I should have said Wii U is sort of keeping pace with PS4 in Japan over the last few weeks at least.

Toki767

I never understood this sentiment. I mean I understand why someone personally may want Nintendo to do well enough to not go extinct (not that I believe they will ever go extinct) since they release different type of games for a different market than what most publishers do and they fill a role in the market. But why would say Bethesda, EA, Activision, Take Two care if the Wii U (or NX) does poorly? I mean the only member of the industry that seems to care about the market Nintendo created with the Wii and Wii U seems to be Ubisoft while the others seem more than happy to not even bothering supporting Nintendo.

I think he means Nintendo tend to be the ones most likely to think outside the box in terms of innovation and ways to attract young new consumers.

So a healthy Nintendo leads to younger users getting into gaming and growing up to games an Activision or EA would make.

Think you're digging too much, no need for him to qualify it as a next gen console, as that's pretty much a given, seeing how that's precisely the way it's been done for decades. Can't see Microsoft rocking the boat by going the Steam Machine route, when that hasn't been proven to work yet and especially how they tripped up when launching the X1.

It's not a given. But a lot of time between now and then so you'll forget I even mentioned the possibility.

I never understood this sentiment.

Okay.

Raist

Banned
He's right though.

Well yes, obviously developing a game for less platforms is going to cost less. I mean that's just fucking common sense.

However, it's not like developing for half the platforms is going to reduce costs by 50%. That's common sense too. So considering that it looks like RotTR sold not even half of what it could potentially have, it just completely destroys his original (stupid) argument.

allan-bh

A key component of The NPD Group data is distinguishing how the regular software market is doing, sans hardware bundles and variants.

This is very important for retailers and developers and publishers (who undoubtedly read this forum thread) because they rely on the regular software market, and I wanted to draw a comparison to it.

Regular, normal Call of Duty software is up 8% year-over-year, with two fewer days tracked than last year. And that's a really important metric because it speaks to the power of the Black Ops brand and it signals vitality within the packaged software market.

People are doing math with your data about Black Ops III and Battlefront to determine bundle sales.

Your software numbers for those two are also for standard edition only or all standalone versions?

Toki767

Why does it matter who won BF? Shouldn't both companies be pleased with their numbers?

Not to mention the battle was for November, not Black Friday.

Who cares if you did better on 1 day out of the month if you still lost the month?

Not to say that Xbox One didn't do well. But people seem to want to try to find any small victory they can for some reason.

timlot

Banned
Wow, so in rest of the world its something like:

PS4: 20 million
Xbox One: 3-5 million

Just goes to show how significant a home territory loss for Xbox One is in November. It's an utterly dead console everywhere else except US/UK and it simply cant afford to lose there.

Interesting observation about what MS can afford to do. A quick msft check shows MS stock at a 15 year high with a market cap of $440 billion. Sony's market cap is around $30 billion. Reading some of these comments you almost get the impression MS and Sony are financial equals or something. This isn't a zero sum game. Just because Sony won Nov. doesn't mean they took all the revenue. Just doing some dirty math Sony 1.6Mx$300=$480M, MS 1.3Mx$300=$390M. Both made money, Christmas bonuses all around for the warriors actually getting paid.

Raist

Banned
Interesting observation about what MS can afford to do. A quick msft check shows MS stock at a 15 year high with a market cap of $440 billion. Sony's market cap is around $30 billion. Reading some of these comments you almost get the impression MS and Sony are financial equals or something. This isn't a zero sum game. Just because Sony won Nov. doesn't mean they took all the revenue. Just doing some dirty math Sony 1.6Mx$300=$480M, MS 1.3Mx$300=$390M. Both made money, Christmas bonuses all around for the warriors actually getting paid.

What one earth does market cap have anything to do with the performance of one of their minor divisions?

Toki767

Microsoft stock is not Xbox stock.

Sony stock is not PlayStation stock.

I think he means Nintendo tend to be the ones most likely to think outside the box in terms of innovation and ways to attract young new consumers.

So a healthy Nintendo leads to younger users getting into gaming and growing up to games an Activision or EA would make.

I think AAA games do that rather well at least for males .

Ok, I see. I kinda understand that but also I remember a former EA CEO talking about mobile games as the new initial gateway to the industry and I kinda agree with that vision but only because of personal experience, I don't know if someone did a study over the role of Nintendo as the gateway to gaming in the modern era.

Not attaching you nor your sentiment, man. I just disagree that Nintendo is that important for the industry to the point to say that the industry needs Nintendo.

I love when people conflate the corporate stock to the health and budget for hardware divisions. That warchest will surely mean XB1 will prevail.

Shenmue

Banned
To be fair, he wasn't wrong, reality just turned out to be false.

He was absolutely wrong. The moment he published that article he was wrong because one of the prongs of his premise was that this deal would result in more copies sold. Nope nope nope, wrong wrong wrong.

The only thing he could still be right about is the profitability because for all we know MS could have given SE 1 billion dollars.

FerDS

He was absolutely wrong. The moment he published that article he was wrong because one of the prongs of his premise was that this deal would result in more copies sold. Nope nope nope, wrong wrong wrong.

The only thing he could still be right about is the profitability because for all we know MS could have given SE 1 billion dollars.

And even then, he fails to talk about the impact to the IP beyond a single game which would be far more important

Reebot

Its insane that Ben is still arguing he's likely correct, since we "don't know how well it'll do on PS 4."

Like watching a crazy man talk out loud; he doesn't even appear to realize how contradictory his own "arguments" are.

Top Bottom