• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for November 2015 [Up3: Combined Hardware For PS4 + XB1 + Wii U]

evilr

Banned
fESYSxB.png

Yet another illusive numpty amongst the many found in this industry. The internet has taught me that not all people should be allowed to vote in general elections.

What exactly is he trying to suggest, that he was remotely correct in his opinion piece? He was completely, flat out wrong and should say that rather than acting as though he has any valuable knowledge on anything to do with the gaming industry.

Oh, I'm not claiming that sales are fine. I'm saying that the botched launches of the console a the XB1 and the MCC created an echo chamber in which everything Xbox and Halo sucks. That's the problem that needs to be overcome.

I think Halo isa big enough name that in time, more people will realize that Halo 5 is pretty tight and a great game. But after the MCC, it's going to take awhile. for most games, and in particular third party games, this situation would be insurmountable. I think Halo 5 will hang around and build momentum over time.

I believe that because I believe it is a really great game that will eventually change the perception people have about Halo. Right now, there is a vocal minority of gamers that seem to be invested in Halo sucking. But that perception does match reviews, nor the impression of most people playing the game.

I hope you're right because I love me some Halo and would love to get more of it!

Yet another illusive numpty amongst the many found in this industry. The internet has taught me that not all people should be allowed to vote in general elections.

The internet taught you that? Not like, you know, interacting with people in real life?

This is my top concern. No one outside of Lego are delivering kid friendly games to PS41. I don't want my son to be playing COD, Destiny and other games with gratuitous violence.

On PS4, there are Lego games, Rayman Legends, and Tearaway. Oh and Minecraft. This is why I purchased a Wii just recently. Mario Kart 7, Mario Bros Wii, ect, those are more suitable for young children. It's a shame I can't find much content like that on PS41.

Well at least last gen both Sony and Microsoft went all in with teens and young adults when the systems were young and expensive and later on started to expand to younger audiences with Kinect and Move (and well Minecraft sold probably a lot of consoles to kids). Will be probably same strategy this gen but we just have to see if it works. PS2 and especially PS1 probably had a lot of kids on board early on though considering how most popular games on PS1 used to be games like Spyro and Crash so in that way strategy at least for Sony has changed.

RoKKeR

The Top 10? Really? Not even just holding still in the Top 5?

It's interesting. The game is usually 4 or 5 during the "prime time" (after people are home from work/school/etc.) in the US, but plummets during the day when Europeans are typically on. At least that's kind of the trend I've noticed.

rokkerkory

Man - I wonder what MS response is gonna be next year. Desperate times call for desperate measures!

$299 + free live for a year + halo 5?

Toki767

It's interesting. The game is usually 4 or 5 during the "prime time" (after people are home from work/school/etc.) in the US, but plummets during the day when Europeans are typically on. At least that's kind of the trend I've noticed.

That sounds like it would be worrisome for 343. The userbase is more than likely to plummet again just like Halo 4.

Kill3r7

Man - I wonder what MS response is gonna be next year. Desperate times call for desperate measures!

$299 + free live for a year + halo 5?

Well considering that both PS4 and X1 can be had for around $250 BF/CM and ironically enough right now at Target. I fully expect them to be closer to $199 if you include GC or other such promos.

Its insane that Ben is still arguing he's likely correct, since we "don't know how well it'll do on PS 4."

Like watching a crazy man talk out loud; he doesn't even appear to realize how contradictory his own "arguments" are.

Yeah, he's losing it, like releasing a game on PS4 after it's been out for a year on Xbox One and maybe 6 months on PC is going to increase sales to the point of making the game more successful than releasing on all 3 at once.....That's the dumbest thing I've heard...

And his mini Twitter meltdown is hilarious....

blakep267

Well considering that both PS4 and X1 can be had for around $250 BF/CM and ironically enough right now at Target. I fully expect them to be closer to $199 if you include GC or other such promos.
I think $250 would be the next logical step next year. I'm guessing the consoles are gonna go back to $350 for the first part of the year

Kill3r7

That sounds like it would be worrisome for 343. The userbase is more than likely to plummet again just like Halo 4.

I think that is why 343i opted to release new content on a weekly/monthly basis in hopes of keeping the userbase engaged. It should be interesting to see how it ends up doing over the next 6 months. In theory Halo 5 should be a much more robust/complete experience by the time Summer 2016 rolls around. Now, whether folks care to stick around is a whole different kettle of fish.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
?

The new PS4 promo started (announced about a week before hand, complete with retail ads) on Sunday Dec 6th, and XB1 got its unannounced price cut right on the 8th with a PR piece.

Yeah, I'd assumed the Sony deal started much earlier but clearly I was wrong.

RibMan

Think you're digging too much, no need for him to qualify it as a next gen console, as that's pretty much a given, seeing how that's precisely the way it's been done for decades. Can't see Microsoft rocking the boat by going the Steam Machine route, when that hasn't been proven to work yet and especially how they tripped up when launching the X1.

I think that we've never been closer to having one of the 'big three' drop-out of the console race. The Xbox One has been a horrific product for Microsoft, and unless they can pull a green rabbit out of a hat, the Xbox Two will find itself in the Gamecube's position -- smaller following than it's predecessor that leads to mediocre software support that leads to a customer perception of the product being universally inferior to the market leader. Does Microsoft want to find themselves with another unwanted product?

If Microsoft ends this generation with less than 35 million consoles sold-through (a pretty real possibility) then Microsoft will have to re-examine their Xbox business. Keep in mind, the easiest way for Microsoft to achieve the original Xbox One vision is for them to not release a console. If Nadella and Spencer can figure out a way to keep Xbox Live going without a dedicated console then I can absolutely see them going that way. At this point, it's the only arm of the Xbox brand that is worth considerable investment.

By the end of December 2016, I think the gap could be 2 million between the PS4 and Xbone in the U.S. That would give the PS4 an unassailable advantage when negotiating further AAA third-party partnerships.

TBH I think the gap would need to be larger than that to give Sony and PS4 an absolute advantage in all 3rd party partnership negotiations. Otherwise a difference of 2 million isn't going to be too big a deterrent for MS to get particular negotiations, especially by Dec 2016 as that'd show a very linear growth in the gap.

Of course, seeing the devastating fiasco that is ROTR bombing due mostly to MS's non-marketing and poor release decision by them and SE, a gap of 2 million will seem more like 7-10
million
in the eyes of any competent 3rd party, and that's going to be much more commanding.

if the holiday price of $250 works they'll stick with it and do an encore sale like 2014. if that doesn't work then $199 before fall 2016 lol. we'll get to the point where we just enter our email and get a free xb1.

I don't think Xbox One exclusivity killed Tomb Raider.

I think Xbox One exclusivity combined with the much bigger problems of Microsoft for some reason making it counter-programming to Fallout 4 and also leaving it out to die was what killed it.

Kill3r7

if the holiday price of $250 works they'll stick with it and do an encore sale like 2014. if that doesn't work then $199 before fall 2016 lol. we'll get to the point where we just enter our email and get a free xb1.

Funny enough MS considered giving away the OG Xbox as a way to gain market share. If they could lock the system behind XBL (maybe a console w/o optical drive) I'm sure they would consider giving away the X1 or selling it at $99. To this day I am surprised they did not try doing that in China.

Shabad

What exactly is he trying to suggest, that he was remotely correct in his opinion piece? He was completely, flat out wrong and should say that rather than acting as though he has any valuable knowledge on anything to do with the gaming industry.

What was this opinion piece ?

I think the PC and PS4 version of Tomb Raider might sell better than the xbox version in the long run but not by much.
It's a total fuck up on SE's part to make it an exclusive.

hawk2025

We are basically discussing whether the patient died from the headshot or by having his legs cut off.

Does it even matter?

I think the main question is whether or not the contract required a Novmber release.

Toki767

All the things that went wrong with Rise of the Tomb Raider:

Announced exclusivity
Confirmed PC and PS4 versions in advance
Releasing in November
Releasing the same day as Fallout 4
Making an Xbox One bundle exclusive to Best Buy
Making said exclusive bundle the 1TB model so it had no shot at $400
No promotion from Microsoft or Square Enix.

What a shit show that turned into.

Looks like Amazon updated December again. SW PS4 bundle slides into #2, NDC PS4 up to #13 (From #15). SW PS4 bundle now up to #50 in 2015, 6 spots behind GoW XB1 bundle at #44. NDC PS4 holding at #9 in 2015. Realistically I think NDC PS4 is at its ceiling. It would have to pass CoD XB1, F4 PS4, DS4, and money/online codes.

RoKKeR

Announced exclusivity
Releasing in November

Good summary, literally every possible card was stacked against it. Amazing how many bad decisions were made with this game... the end result is unsurprising. Unfortunate, too, because the game itself is pretty solid.

I didn't know the bundle was a Best Buy exclusive... why?

mcrommert

Banned

Announced exclusivity
Releasing in November

Yep

Will buy when i find time to finish the previous game...but definitely will buy

BKK

Edited to retract my statement whilst I check the facts, sorry if that makes the discussion difficult to follow.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer

Announced exclusivity
Releasing in November

Mistakes were made.

Toki767

I'm pretty sure that he doesn't, everything that he has tweeted is so obvious that anyone following this thread could post similar tweets and have a very high chance of being correct. I'm sure it's no coincidence that many of his tweets follow the release of data by someone else. It's the same as his "reports", where he just re-writes a news or financial report without sourcing it, and writes it as if he's the source, implying that he has inside information, re-inforced by slapping his name on graphs of other people's data. It does seem to actually fool a lot of people, judging by how many times his tweets have been posted in this thread. Then we have his hardware graphs where instead of using the available range for XB1 shipments (whilst they still gave combined shipments), he used his own methodology to extrapolate an estimate for XB1 sales, then slapped them on a graph as though his own guesses were the actual shipment, and then would just source his own graphs for what actual XB1 shipments were.

The guys a fraud, I'm not sure if I should be surprised or not that so many people have fallen for it.
He was giving out data before we were getting them yesterday.

Were a lot of people unsure that Fallout was going to be a 2016 game. I think I remember Giant Bomb after E3 convinced that there was no way it was going to launch this year.

hawk2025

Wouldn't have stopped it being sandwiched between Halo, Fallout, and CoD meanwhile SE with their back against the wall in fear of cannibalizing their own Just Cause 3. It just would have performed poorer across 3 skus.

Maybe?
Maybe not?

Maybe without a contract it could have taken Dying Light's VERY successful January slot?

When you add the 2:1 Definitive Edition splits AND Europe... with a PC version on top of it to garner even more attention?

a $60 per game price tag compared to the $0 they're accustomed to?

Young children are not price-conscious consumers. They receive games as gifts from family members, and such income as they do receive in the form of allowances can go entirely towards recreation because they have no living expenses.

No small child is going to be like why would I spend $60 to play the new Star Wars shooter when I can play Candy Crush on my iPad for free. Similarly, no parent is going to think why would I spend $60 on the new Star Wars shooter for little Timmy when he could play Candy Crush on his iPad for free. You can't leave a child Candy Crush under the Christmas tree, you can't buy a child Candy Crush for his birthday.

This whole "kids don't need consoles they're perfectly happy with mobile" meme is total nonsense.

Top Bottom