• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for October 2015 [Up1: Xbox #1]

HORRORSHØW

tumblr_mk181krq6s1s90lc1o1_250.gif
lmao

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
With a price drop. "Much anticipated" too. Both did so bad it's not even funny.

Well Halo pulled sales into October, the price cut pushed sales into November. People can't seem to grasp that three out of four PS4 bundles that received the cut are released in November.

RexNovis

Banned
Well, at this point everyone knows that Ass Creed is shrinking, I'm sure this was discussed in several threads.

I doubt many expected a decline of over 50% though. I know I sure as hell didn't.

My point is that these figures are literally astonishing. The declines are nigh unbelievable. Thus it's worth affording them the attention they deserve to discuss them at length in their own dedicated spaces. Declines like these don't happen everyday for established franchises.

crinale

Which do you guys think had a worse impact on the franchise, Halo 4 or MCC?

On a side note, seems gamers these days do somewhat consider the past. Halo, Assassin's Creed, Battlefield etc. Publishers would be wise to get things right the first time, and not cock things up to the extent where they damage franchises.

Definitely MCC.

noshten

Did George say anything about Yoshi, Destiny and Uncharted numbers?

What are the chance of Halo 5 sold better in second NPD? Black Friday and longer tracking etc.

It might do something similar in terms of second month sales maybe 500-700K second month, obviously it would rank much lower overall since there are other major releases.

Alo0oy

Banned
This is a terrible idea, a lot of people really like Halo 5 (myself included), I have no concerns that it will make them money, plenty of money just not on the same level as previous titles. If anything will help them build the franchise back its making a good/great game

Making a new IP for 343 would mean putting Halo down completely, you're looking at 6 years (2x 3 year dev cycles) at a minimum before they can get another Halo out... thats too long and they shouldn't do that.

I probably wouldn't make another game outside of Halo Wars 2 in between though.

I get your point, but would MS be satisfied with Halo being a B-tier AAA game (in terms of sales)? It is their biggest IP after all, if 343i can make a new IP that sells 6-7 million, it would be a much better long-term business decision.

They shouldn't give up this early yet though, one game doesn't make a trend, if Halo 6 performs similarly, then they definitely need another IP to carry the reigns.

Guymelef

On a side note, seems gamers these days do somewhat consider the past. Halo, Assassin's Creed, Battlefield etc. Publishers would be wise to get things right the first time, and not cock things up to the extent where they damage franchises.

Is the circle of life.
Halo is dying, Forza is irrelevant, Fable F2P, let's see how Gears does. But the MS cicle from X360 isn't working here.

That's why is important to invest in new IPs... I mean The Last of Us 2 is going to do better than Uncharted 4. for example.

Alo0oy

Banned
I mean, what's our baseline for doing "well" in October? There's only been one other October this gen to compare it to, so right now it is our ONLY comparison point and may be the baseline for this gen.

Doing better than one of the three last gen consoles.

nib95

Banned
Around mid 30's to low 40's? Only for the release week though due to preloading.

I don't know why a few on here keep promoting preloading like it's some super enticing thing. It's not. Getting a game early however, as in a whole day, two or three early, and at a cheaper price, now that's enticing.

The Halo OT/review threads made this even clearer. Where so many who ordered retail were playing the game early whilst digital buyers, most of whom had paid more for the game, were twiddling their thumbs waiting for that midnight launch.

cooperma

The hardware numbers are in line with other Octs .
Of course the PS4 price drop happen and it seem to have no effect .
But you can also say Sony put there cards in the Nov basket , next month NPD will tell .

Sony probably sold more PlayStations outside of US because of drop? I mean, they have a market outside of the US/UK. I'm not really familiar with overseas but how many countries have something like black Friday lined up like the US?

Sorry for possible tone / punctuation etc. Typing on my windows phone and I have issues rendering the page :-

RexNovis

Banned
Absolutely, and one other issue is that with missed deals, stock issues and all the rest during these next two months, consumers who originally intended to buy one of these consoles, could very well up up buying something else altogether. Retailers need to balance sales and deals better, and publishers spread out the releases better too. I think Sony sort of gets it, but Microsoft this year really put all their eggs in to the Fall basket. I really don't think it was a healthy strategy.

Agreed. It doesn't seem sustainable to me. Inevitably it just leads to a few titles getting starling results while the rest flounder in mediocrity. It simply cannot continue or games like Tomb Raider, Dragon Quest Heroes, and other non top their releases will continue to pay the price.

I get your point, but would MS be satisfied with Halo being a B-tier AAA game (in terms of sales)? It is their biggest IP after all, if 343i can make a new IP that sells 6-7 million, it would be a much better long-term business decision.

They shouldn't give up this early yet though, one game doesn't make a trend, if Halo 6 performs similarly, then they definitely need another IP to carry the reigns.

Well, your suggestion assumes that 343s new IP would make 6-7 million and also you're swapping "B-tier AAA game sales" to "no AAA game sales" [for Halo]

MS have plenty of new IPs coming, its not like they need one from 343 specifically, I think they do need Halo though even if its not what it was.

Alo0oy

Banned
That's why is important to invest in new IPs... I mean The Last of Us 2 is going to do better than Uncharted 4. for example.

I wouldn't be so sure, UC3 sold better & faster than TLOU (Worldwide of course), the Teen rating probably has a lot to do with it though.

Pretty bad numbers for Halo 5, PS4 and terrible numbers for Ass Creed. I have no sympathy for that annual game, but it is a bit sad seeing these numbers for Halo and PS4. No idea how MS made 400$ million if those numbers are legit, unless they're counting all consoles lol... Sony selling under 300K when they finally drop the price is also really disappointing, though I'm curious how it will do these next two months with the COD and especially Casualfront bundle.

Javin98

Banned
Interesting, so you guys think:

-The PS4 will maintain it's current gap ending the holiday?

OR

-Will make the gap wider with the bundles this holiday?
Personally, I'm still expecting a gap of 200K between the PS4 and XB1 this November and I expect the PS4 to take December by a significant margin as well, so I think the gap will be wider by the end of 2015.

Being serious for a second, these results show us two things: the PS4 is coming to an end in NA and Halo as a franchise is already over.

What in the world are you talking about? October is going to generally be lower due to anticipation for BF. There have been leaked BF ads showing PS4 bundles for $299.. why would anyone foolishly spend their money in October knowing that they will save a few weeks later. And as far as Halo, yes the luster has dulled on the franchise in general, especially with XB1's lower install base than PS4, but honestly, MS probably should have tried to squeeze in a release date for Halo in November -- maybe even a BF release -- with a $350 bundle price. Yes, it would have been mixed in with Fallout, Battlefront and COD, but I still believe more HW and SW would have moved. As it is, the Halo "hype" is already gone because a week after its release, COD came out, followed quickly by FO4 and then Battlefront next week. Halo being released on BF would at least have given it more of a perception as a new release on store shelves while everyone was doing their holiday shopping and there would have been much more "hype" during that intense shopping window. Next month will paint a far different picture of sales for both PS4 and XB1.

Purely, anecdotal and maybe not indicative of national trends, but I was in my local Gamestop (South Florida) last week and a 12 year old kid was already trading Halo in... when I asked him why, he said he didn't like it and his friends weren't playing it. After he left, the store manager said they were getting a lot of trade-ins on it, which is surprising for a brand new game that is focused so much on multiplayer. Now, that could be one isolated store, but I am not so sure about that.

Go_Ly_Dow

people going full force for their team on the last couple of pages. not even trying to hide it lmao

The collective tanking of Halo 5, Assassins Creed, Xbox 1 and decline of console gaming with subpar PS4 sales, provides myself as NeoGeo gamer great gratification and sense of inner warmth.

This is what you heathens get for disowning most beautiful handheld of all time with your AAA games and shooters. I've been waiting for this moment my whole life and now I'm basking in its glory.

Crazyorloco

translation above the graph :
Physical only
1 week for halo 5
2 weeks for halo 3
3 weeks for others

Should read 4 days for halo 5 to be more fair. The game has sold well, but not as well as the prior games.

Do we ever get digital sales numbers? I actually downloaded Halo 5, because I know it'll be a game I go back to over and over for the online multiplayer.

I'd also like to know Mario Makers total sales on digital.

Alo0oy

Banned
Well, your suggestion assumes that 343s new IP would make 6-7 million and also you're swapping "B-tier AAA game sales" to "no AAA game sales" [for Halo]

MS have plenty of new IPs coming, its not like they need one from 343 specifically, I think they do need Halo though even if its not what it was.

My reasoning is that they need to get their biggest studio on making that new IP, it's not a guarantee that it will sell 6-7 million, but it's more likely if their biggest studio is the one that's making the IP.

DryvBy

Basically this :
CTrF2dWWEAEpGVC.jpg

Halo 5 : 1 week of tracking (includes bundles but not digital)
Halo 3 : 2 weeks of tracking
others : 3 weeks of tracking

Keep in mind that the drop in UK for Halo 5 was around 80% for week 2.

That's the sales in 2 weeks for Halo 3? That's insane if I'm reading this correctly.

Pretty bad numbers for Halo 5, PS4 and terrible numbers for Ass Creed. I have no sympathy for that annual game, but it is a bit sad seeing these numbers for Halo and PS4. No idea how MS made 400$ million if those numbers are legit, unless they're counting all consoles lol... Sony selling under 300K when they finally drop the price is also really disappointing, though I'm curious how it will do these next two months with the COD and especially Casualfront bundle.

Consider a lot of people, including people I've talked to and my family, are waiting on the Black Fridays deals for the holiday It makes sense to cut back the month before. The next NPD is gonna be really good.

RexNovis

Banned

MCC definitely bred a lot of resentment in even the most avid fans of the franchise. No doubt that it was toxic for the IP. This was just compounded by the thin ice the series was already on with fans following Halo 4. But I honestly don't think anyone would be predicted these figures. This is far lower than even the most negative predictions made on GAF. The worst was Conduit's 900k retail sales. I mean it literally defied every expectation.

down 2 orth

I don't mean to gloat, but all those guys who say that word of mouth from hardcore gamers amounts to nothing... they're totally full of shit.

I don't know who to trust.

Those numbers seem very low, and I don't know of any of these "insiders" or their credentials. Then again, Microsoft haven't released any convincing PR to make me think otherwise.

All I can really say right now is congrats on getting number 1 Halo and Xbox.

Best wishes.

Should read 4 days for halo 5 to be more fair. The game has sold well, but not as well as the prior games.

Do we ever get digital sales numbers? I actually downloaded Halo 5, because I know it'll be a game I go back to over and over for the online multiplayer.

I'd also like to know Mario Makers total sales on digital.

Leeh would be your man for that. But seeing as though you downloaded it you're probably one of his friends anyways ;)

A safe range for estimating digital is giving it 15-35% share of early sales. That's a big range, but will likely get you in the area.

Yoshi won guys. Yoshi won.

Yoshi did great, actually. Given its stumbles, Nintendo is still one of the top publishers of the year in terms of software revenues and share. They're doing great at maximizing a small base.

Top Bottom