• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for October 2015 [Up1: Xbox #1]

~1 million in the US is still a good number, 150K in the UK is still a good number, but they're the types of sales of a popular game instead of an industry dominating game that's primarily limited by being single platform.

Halo in 2015 is another good shooter instead of "The Shooter To Get".

Word.

I love me some Halo when I'm in the mood but it isn't the same, and never will be the same, as Halo 3 for me.

935k including bundles

Previous entries sold 3million +

If this is the confirmed numbers now, how the heck did MS get to $400 million in sales??? Has anyone tried to come up with a computation for this? If MS only sold 300,000 XB1s in October, most of which were likely not the $500 Halo bundle and you throw in some limited editions,etc.... there is no way to get to $400 million, even if you extrapolate to worldwide numbers... Anyone figured out this puzzle yet?

Confusing-Maths-Class-3096.jpg

Ricky_R

You do know those numbers align perfectly with historical October sales since 2006, right? Please tell me more about how they underperformed.

Not sure about other Octobers, but this one had a price drop for the PS4 and Halo for the Xbone. Many expected bigger numbers due to that. I mean, the PS4 saw a decline YoY at a lower price.

Alo0oy

Banned
I guess our definition of B tier is wildly different as both of those franchises you mentioned are easily A tier in my eyes.

Plus you completely glossed over my second point, besides the recently acquired minecraft and despite the drop in sales halo is still the most profitable franchise that MS owns and it's not going anywhere, not for a whole anyways.

A-tier or AAAA games are games that sell 8+ million (Call of Duty, Battlefield, previously-AC, Borderlands, Uncharted, The Last of Us, The Elder Scrolls, previously-Halo, previously-Gran Turismo, Diablo, Star Wars & most likely Fallout 4 this year, and I'm sure there are more that I forgot), less than 5 million is not what I'd call A-tier as that's not even close to the sales of the games I mentioned previously.

Kill3r7

You do know those numbers align perfectly with historical October sales since 2006, right? Please tell me more about how they underperformed.

You are neglecting the two biggest factors at play here. One, Prior to now Halo had never launched in October. Two, PS4 just had a price cut which if IIRC has not happened in any previous October. I think it is fair to say that both consoles under performed given the circumstances this year.

TehOh

If this is the confirmed numbers now, how the heck did MS get to $400 million in sales??? Has anyone tried to come up with a computation for this? If MS only sold 300,000 XB1s in October, most of which were likely not the $500 Halo bundle and you throw in some limited editions,etc.... there is no way to get to $400 million, even if you extrapolate to worldwide numbers... Anyone figured out this puzzle yet?

Digital sales? NPD doesn't track those, right?

Microsoft launched a new entry in their biggest franchise and Sony dropped the price by $50 and included a game in the bundle (Destiny bundle was $449 last year I think?)

I don't think that is particularly good for either of them, even if things are aligned with historical data.

Halo has always launched in September or November (and September releases had hardware bumps iirc), PS4 price drop may well do much more for them next month - in fact its very likely but I don't think many expected it to drop compared to last year with those conditions as they are.

foxbeldin

Sold in hardware.

Accessories, like the halo controllers and maybe Req packs?

nib95

Banned
That's a privilege what isn't available to the masses. I know it isn't with me. I'd rather pre-order it on my sofa and have the privilege knowing it's ready to play when midnight turns. If you pick it up from a store, you have to go through that laborious install and imminent day one patch.

All pre-loading will do is lower the numbers of pre ordering, and therefore, increase the split.

When I say retail, I include etail sales. As in retail copies purchased online. I order the majority of my (retail) games online, and 90% of the time I'll get them at least a day early, depending on the etailer I'm buying from. Granted that's not the case for most people, but if we're talking benefits to a niche consumer base, it's still certainly a more enticing prospect than a midnight preload. As is the cheaper price in the first place.

tomhan

Bruh we got hard number in this thread about 3 consoles and 2 major franchises...straight up NPD numbers...

My bigger point is that the numbers just don't matter all that much anymore. I find them novel to look at but I don't think Microsoft or Sony care about beating each other. They care about revenue. I think that Sony is happy that they are back to making money as a whole and couldn't care less if Microsoft won this month.

The amount of anger and vitriol spewed in this thread is getting absurd for how much these numbers actually matter.

leeh

Controllers, micro transactions, probably anything stamped with Halo on the box.

MisterR

Micro transactions.

Argh, someone is going to say "Digital sales?".

ITS A TRAP!

Edit: Here it was:

Digital sales? NPD doesn't track those, right?

Alo0oy

Banned
For Halo, I said this way back in the UK thread:

I feel this holds here as well. We've seen it move from a standout phenomenon to a game that's selling like other big-but-not-tremendous shooters like Battlefield: Hardline, Medal of Honor 2010, or really like just about any game that's moving 5 million units LTD these days.

~1 million in the US is still a good number, 150K in the UK is still a good number, but they're the types of sales of a popular game instead of an industry dominating game that's primarily limited by being single platform.

Other games do well outside the US & UK though. If Halo sells 1.1 million in those two markets FW, then there isn't that many more units sold WW.

The difference is that the PS4 had a price drop & XB1 had its biggest exclusive yet. 275k in a price drop month is atrocious.

crinale

I feel this holds here as well. We've seen it move from a standout phenomenon to a game that's selling like other big-but-not-tremendous shooters like Battlefield: Hardline, Medal of Honor 2010, or really like just about any game that's moving 5 million units LTD these days.

Yeah that's really nice and fitting explanation. I would be good if Microsoft can establish next Halo / Gears (not genre-wise but brand popularity wise).

shoreu

Dayumm then. That's upsetting especially since halo 5 is so solid but ¯_(ツ)_/¯. So many people avoid it now because of how it plays and how hard it can be to get into the series.

MisterR

My bigger point is that the numbers just don't matter all that much anymore. I find them novel to look at but I don't Microsoft or Sony care about beating each other. They care about revenue. I think that Sony is happy that they are back to making money as a whole and couldn't care less if Microsoft won this month.

The amount of anger and vitriol spewed in this thread is getting absurd for how much these numbers actually matter.

If you're offended by sales threads, it's best to just stay out of them.

I'm sorry, I must've missed where a mod came in an gave NPD_George the all-good.

Could you perhaps point me to that post?
No mod has confirmed or denied George. So far Cosmic has posted seemingly verifying that this was official and off site ZhugeEX has vouched for George. Take that how you will. The dude is still walking tall and Nirolak is back in the thread....

Bluenoser

It would have been a major scramble, that's for sure. But going back to the thread about them announcing "biggest Halo launch in history" etc. It seems all bullshit now. Unless they counted every sale with the Halo name on it for the entire world that is (clothing, bubblegum, toys, collectibles, comics, books, OST's, etc). That's really the only way to land at $400 million.

Micro transactions.

Like $200 million worth? Can't see it.

Raist

Banned

Keep in mind that number was the worldwide launch, not just the US. Not to mention we have no idea what they included exactly in that figure. For all we know they even counted money generated from the REQ thing.

MisterR

Even WW and with digital, $400 million? There is a HUGE gap there when we know that the US generally sells the most Halo. They would have needed to sell way more digital copies worldwide than is believable to me.

Who knows. PR is bullshit for a reason. There is nothing concrete in it. For all we know they added any new Xbox Live memberships for the month.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Other games do well outside the US & UK though. If Halo sells 1.1 million in those two markets FW, then there isn't that many more units sold WW.

Sure, for Halo 5 itself this isn't helpful, certainly.

It's essentially matching what a 5 million multiplatform title does, but obviously lacks the other markets that get said titles to 5 million. Such is the life of a platform exclusive.

That said, I suspect they'll keep bundling it and putting it on deep sales in hopes of growing the brand again, so its legs will be a bit better in the US/UK than someone going for a higher ASP like many publishers do these days.

My bigger point is that the numbers just don't matter all that much anymore. I find them novel to look at but I don't think Microsoft or Sony care about beating each other. They care about revenue. I think that Sony is happy that they are back to making money as a whole and couldn't care less if Microsoft won this month.

But this is literally a sales thread...about the numbers...what were you expecting???

Rymuth

Why are we discussing sales in a thread about sales??

Somebody get the bingo sheet!

Microsoft launched a new entry in their biggest franchise and Sony dropped the price by $50 and included a game in the bundle (Destiny bundle was $449 last year I think?)

I don't think that is particularly good for either of them, even if things are aligned with historical data.

Halo has always launched in September or November (and September releases had hardware bumps iirc), PS4 price drop may well do much more for them next month - in fact its very likely but I don't think many expected it to drop compared to last year with those conditions as they are.

Halo has always launched in September or November, two months with sales traditionally higher than October. Also, October is one month before the biggest sales deluge in America. You think people are gonna pay 350 for a console when they can get one for 299 with a bunch of free games? Hell, Xbone was up 81% YoY. Look at it this way: last October Xbone sold 168k, then went on to sell 1.2 million the next month. PS4 sales are essentially flat YoY. Again, this is right before Blck Friday month. Were you expecting 400k+ sales over a 50 dollar price cut right before the November sales rush. Please. Insane deals and massive holiday sales are the new normal. The sky isn't falling.

This is always how it goes. Consoles are dead until they aren't, blah blah blah.

RexNovis

Banned

They were sold in (aka shipped) figures and included HW bundles and accessories as well as digital sales and Microtransaction profits. You basically can't read anything into them at all. They are effectively meaningless with the number of unpredictable variables that would have to be accounted for.

Elandyll

Banned

Some say it's the Black Friday effect, but BF has an effect on -all- October sales.

For PS4, the only negative effect I see on October sales is the possibility of the Limited edition bundles in November being very attractive as they also benefitted from the price cut.

Both the BF and COD bundles chart pretty high as pre orders in September and October, particularly Battlefront.

Noiw November will also see both consoles hitting the psychological $299 price point.

I already feel for Abdiel and our other Retail insiders ...

edit: Imho, the XB1 having no LE bundles in November has no such "excuse". It's just terrible with little chance of redemption in Nov I think.
And I was betting on a new $50 price drop for MS hehe.

Alo0oy

Banned
Sure, for Halo 5 itself this isn't helpful, certainly.

It's essentially matching what a 5 million multiplatform title does, but obviously lacks the other markets that get said titles to 5 million. Such is the life of a platform exclusive.

That said, I suspect they'll keep bundling it and putting it on deep sales in hopes of growing the brand again, so its legs will be a bit better in the US/UK than someone going for a higher ASP like many publishers do these days.

Another thing is that if they keep the smaller userbase interested long enough & sell them enough microtransactions, it might not be as bad as the sales look right now, releasing the MP portion next year as F2P would probably salvage the situation.

ethomaz

Banned
I will try to explain...

1. First they showed sold-in revenue.

300k $500 Halo 5 bundles sold WW can means 400k $500 Halo 5 bundles shipped WW
$200m

2m $60 games sold WW can means 3m games shipped WW
$180m

2. Add $99 and $250 LE editions

3. Add micro transactions

Ohhh wait with 400k bundles and 3m games shipped I already near to cross $400m revenue... I guess I need to down a bit theses numbers.

Fady K

These are very good points, crazy how much has changed in 3 years.

Things are still pretty close in the US (vs PS4) despite launching at $100 more with the DRM, Kinect, TV and other issues at the reveal... had they been more focused, produced a box that was cheaper with more power, you don't think the Xbox One would be selling more than it has? And if its selling more than there isn't that much room before its selling as much as if not more than the PS4 has.

The 360 was an absolute behemoth in the US compared to the PS3, people switched for a variety of reasons but I think their [MS] screw ups were the significant part of XB1 selling less, whether it was DRM, price or otherwise

Not necessarily at all honestly, Sony's strategy may have been influenced by Microsoft's, so if Microsoft started with a different strategy hypothetically then you will also have to consider that Sony would have reacted differently. Especially since it is a different Sony altogether to the Early Kutaragi PS3 era.

If MS screwing up was the significant part for people switching to PS4, then PS3 screw ups (which were even worse) are a significant reason for people switching to Xbox 360 in giving it "behemoth" status in the 1st place.

Top Bottom