• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for October 2015 [Up1: Xbox #1]

Damn I missed this thread. I know GAF is against summary posts now, but could anyone PM me a summary of the information leaked? I see NPD George got some information out, but anything else?

So does this mean Xbox is going start beating PS4 and win? When I see Xbox beating PlayStation it literally makes me sick to my stomach. I heard that MS won October and I was so down that I didn't get out of my bed for hours. Sony please just win. Please!

dont worry, Kaz-san will price drop soon and destroy the tyranny of the Xbox. Now we can safely sleep at night.

RedAssedApe

Banned
I don't think that I am alone on viewing Titanfall as a failure. There was a bundle with a price drop and crazy good deal, and it didn't really affect hardware sales month-to-month and Xbone lost, iirc. You have to remember that Titanfall was supposed to be the next big thing back then.

yup. barely moved the needle on console sales and no one was playing it anymore by the time destiny launched. 6 month shelf life for a game that was hyped like crazy as the next big thing. really depends on your definition of success though. i think some people think of it in terms of sales and others mindshare.

I don't think that I am alone on viewing Titanfall as a failure. There was a bundle with a price drop and crazy good deal, and it didn't really affect hardware sales month-to-month and Xbone lost, iirc. You have to remember that Titanfall was supposed to be the next big thing back then.

Those other people also have warped expectations, too.

Titanfall was a success. It was big.

So does this mean Xbox is going start beating PS4 and win? When I see Xbox beating PlayStation it literally makes me sick to my stomach. I heard that MS won October and I was so down that I didn't get out of my bed for hours. Sony please just win. Please!

These type of posts are so strange to read. Sarcasm, right?

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Sony had to earn that though. PS3 was rough early on. Some PS2 good will for sure but it was a long road with the PS3 and if Xbox One wasn't a complete balls up, I don't think so many 360 users would have jumped to PS4. Yeah, MS coasted with 360 in the end which probably helped push some users away as well while Sony built up momentum. Xbox One would have been a good challenger without the missteps even with the power of the PlayStation brand, Microsoft just kneecapped themselves.

No it's bigger than that. MS just hasn't done a good job selling their brand to most overseas markets.

Sony with the Playstation brand has been almost perfect at that.

Welfare

We found super6646's Sony loving brother.

Rise of the Tomb Raider is pretty much sent to die for a number of factors - namely releasing alongside Fallout 4 and Square Enix announcing the release timing of the PC/PS4 versions well in advance. Hopefully a lesson learned for the future.

But yet a FF exclusive could actually create a more sales on one rather than two effect somehow... baffles me why they don't try it.

Kysen

The only thing that would have changed if MS didn't screw up the X1 launch is that they'd be ahead of the PS4 in the US/UK. Everywhere else wouldn't have changed. Still its crazy that the gap is so large when the biggest territory the race is so close.

Ray Down

Banned
Rise of the Tomb Raider is pretty much sent to die for a number of factors - namely releasing alongside Fallout 4 and Square Enix announcing the release timing of the PC/PS4 versions well in advance. Hopefully a lesson learned for the future.

Hey Kagari, do you have any idea what SE expectations/sales goal for RotTR are?

Krakn3Dfx

I don't always come into the NPD threads, but when I do, I do it hoping for posts like this one.

37381-Damn-good-stuff-sir-gif-smOr.gif

Madness

My God, this is just too much.

N.Domixis

Banned
The only thing that would have changed if MS didn't screw up the X1 launch is that they'd be ahead of the PS4 in the US/UK. Everywhere else wouldn't have changed. Still its crazy that the gap is so large when the biggest territory the race is so close.

There's more to this world that just UK(S).

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Hey Kagari, do you have any idea what SE expectations/sales goal for RotTR are?

Not specifically. I know part of the deal with MS was for them to buy so many copies for bundles - which we've seen. The other part I know is the marketing relationship soured a bit after the reveal debacle and is the main reason SE announced the release of the PC/PS4 versions so early.

Walpurgis

Banned
I know that you're probably joking but I don't know why any PS fan would want this. Ever since they've started winning, Sony has been getting very lazy, imo.

jayu26

Fake meltdowns can be funny, but real once are always ten times better. They are fantastic case study in all the various stages a person will go through.

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
Not specifically. I know part of the deal with MS was for them to buy so many copies for bundles - which we've seen. The other part I know is the marketing relationship soured a bit after the reveal debacle and is the main reason SE announced the release of the PC/PS4 versions so early.

So basically it got RE4ed, but that game turned out to be quite successfull saleswise. So not all is lost, I guess.

Ray Down

Banned

That must be a low amount considering that the Tomb Raider bundle is limited to Best Buy and Ab said they got the short end with the bundle.

I had a feeling that was that was why SE revealed the other skus early (dat or low pre-orders)

So basically it got RE4ed, but that game turned out to be quite successfull saleswise. So not all is lost, I guess.

It should do well on PC but on PS4 I doubt it considering what could be out at the time.

StoopKid

should have delayed it to march 18th.

troll.png

eot

Banned

GAF is really delivering this month

Catdaddy

My fear would be that SE abandon the TR franchise, in the past they set unreal expectations for their titles. Just hope that MS money eased the pain somewhat. If it’s not forgotten, could sell well once it hits PC/PS4 (and at different times to boot).

The ironic part is sounded like neither SE or MS wanted to release up against UC4, which subsequently got bumped until next year. If they had moved the release out of the shadow of Fallout 4 and Battlefront and released on all platforms this year they would have a few months grace period before the inevitable TR vs UC4 debate. Now releasing on the PS4 post UC4, (and assuming UC4 delivers) TR could be left out in the cold.

Markoman

Post of the page! Well done...

Anno

I'd be curious to see what Divinity managed to sell on consoles. No matter the number it's not enough, but with the solid reviews I hope it eaked out a good-for-a-niche-title level of sales.

mejin

My fear would be that SE abandon the TR franchise, in the past they set unreal expectations for their titles. Just hope that MS money eased the pain somewhat. If it’s not forgotten, could sell well once it hits PC/PS4 (and at different times to boot).

The ironic part is sounded like neither SE or MS wanted to release up against UC4, which subsequently got bumped until next year. If they had moved the release out of the shadow of Fallout 4 and Battlefront and released on all platforms this year they would have a few months grace period before the inevitable TR vs UC4 debate. Now releasing on the PS4 post UC4, (and assuming UC4 delivers) TR could be left out in the cold.

The damage to the ip is already done and that's the problem in my opinion. Microsoft didn't pay enough to cover all the shitstorm.

FranXico

I know that you're probably joking but I don't know why any PS fan would want this. Ever since they've started winning, Sony has been getting very lazy, imo.

PS fans probably just want Sony to stay in the business.

Pressure from MS keeps them on their toes, which is good for consumers, but the last thing any gamer should want is Sony exiting the business.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I don't think Tomb Raider actually has any future iteration issues.

Square Enix is among the most generous companies in the industry in keeping franchises alive.

Walpurgis

Banned
PS fans probably just want Sony to stay in the business.

Pressure from MS keeps them on their toes, which is good for consumers, but the last thing any gamer should want is Sony exiting the business.

Of course. I don't think Sony exiting the business is even a concern. I prefer having them at #2 though. PS+ last gen and free online was nuts. PSN worked better too.

It's Tomb Raider. There will be more games.

I can only imagine that Crystal Dynamics/Microsoft underestimated the popularity of Fallout 4. That initial shipment is close to Call of Duty level.

It had nowhere else to go. If it went earlier it would compete against Halo. Later it would go against CoD and Star Wars. Going much earlier might not have been possible from a development standpoint. Going after Christmas means XB1 loses some of its 'exclusives for the holidays' marketing push and would start competing with Uncharted 4.

Top Bottom