• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for October 2015 [Up1: Xbox #1]

So? They're on their platform as exclusives and helps differentiate PS4.

What was the point of bringing these to the U.S. if you aren't going to let anybody know about them?

Because that's not how it works. If Sony funded the marketing for every PS game this gen or past gens they'd not have a budget for anything else.

That's the publishers job to get the name out there. Blame those for not giving them more marketing or chasing a deal from Sony. This ain't Sonys fault those games failed or are niche sellers.

For Halo, I said this way back in the UK thread:

I feel this holds here as well. We've seen it move from a standout phenomenon to a game that's selling like other big-but-not-tremendous shooters like Battlefield: Hardline, Medal of Honor 2010, or really like just about any game that's moving 5 million units LTD these days.

~1 million in the US is still a good number, 150K in the UK is still a good number, but they're the types of sales of a popular game instead of an industry dominating game that's primarily limited by being single platform.

Halo in 2015 is another good shooter instead of "The Shooter To Get".

VinFTW would take so much issue with this post its not even funny. Its all true though.

Welfare

What a legendary thread. We got this month's numbers, confirmation on last month's numbers, some very interesting software sales, and a cool new member.

I might have missed someone pointing this out, but Halo 5 month was in fact worse than Titanfall month. Less consoles sold and Titanfall sold 1.1m with bundles.

Now I would just like to know what the 3DS sold.

hiphopcr

giphy.gif

Bolivar687

Banned
What a legendary thread. We got this month's numbers, confirmation on last month's numbers, some very interesting software sales, and a cool new member.

I might have missed someone pointing this out, but Halo 5 month was in fact worse than Titanfall month. Less consoles sold and Titanfall sold 1.1m with bundles.

Good catch!

Chobel

This just hit me. Fallout 4 did better than Blops 3? I mean 750M > 550M.

EDIT: Shipped vs sold probably, so not really a fair comparison.

Tubie

This is very true, Ethomaz.

It's important to note that a significant amount of Sony's 'Uncharted: The Nathan Drake Collection' hardware bundles were sold in the October 2015 U.S. Games Industry Sales NPD Report, such that the collection rose above the 300K benchmark when you include them and thus sales are fundamentally higher than Activision Blizzard's 'Destiny: The Taken King' when comparing both SKUs with included Hardware bundles.

The elevated Bundle performance would also put 'Uncharted: The Nathan Drake Collection', when one is comparing performance of software w/ Bundles for all titles, above SKUs such as Electronic Arts's evergreen titles 'FIFA 2016' and 'Madden NFL 16,' which currently hold the #4 and #6 spots in the 'Top 10 Games' chart (excluding HW bundles) widely distributed by The NPD Group PR team.

Thanks for all the information, George.

I was wondering if you could tell me how much has Battlefield Hardline sold in the US so far this year according to NPD, or at least in it's opening month of March.

I ask because with Halo 5 opening so low, I wonder if Hardline actually ends up selling more units over all this year.

Thanks again for everything!

Bruno MB

Next month will be interesting.

Could be, sure.

PS4/X1 maybe, but not Halo. Call of Duty, Battlefront and Fallout will suck the air out of November, and along with 3 sports titles and maybe a couple other multiplats, Halo might not even make the top 10 next month.

Halo 4 released on November and with 2 extra weeks of tracking compare to Halo 5 managed to only have a 50% drop in December.

With October Halo 5 sales only accounting for 5 days plus Thanksgiving and Black Friday deals I don't think a better hold is something not feasible. It is true that I don't know how many units will be needed to make it into the all formats top 10.

Walpurgis

Banned
Thanks for all these new numbers, NPD_George. I really appreciate them but are you safe? The last few times people have leaked NPD data here has ended in disaster. I would hate to see the NPD take you out.

While you're here, I am curious about EA's numbers since they don't provide them anymore. Could you tell us how much Dragon Age: Inquisition sold in November 2014 and December 2014? It was called Bioware's best launch but the lack of numbers makes me a little concerned because I really like that game.

With October Halo 5 sales only accounting for 5 days plus Thanksgiving and Black Friday deals I don't think a better hold is something not feasible. It is true that I don't know how many units will be needed to make it into the all formats top 10.
It just HAS to chart. Anything else is unthinkable.
Would be interesting if it charts higher than Laura, though.

Walpurgis

Banned

That really puts it into perspective. I viewed Titanfall as a failure and wasn't sure what to make of Halo 5's numbers. Now I do.
You think TR might actually chart next month?
With all those damn sports games taking up space, I can't see it.

Welfare

Some stats.

XB1 303k

MoM rise was 3%

YoY rise is 80%

Weekly average

September: 293k / 5 weeks = 58,600

October: 303k / 4 weeks = 75,750

PS4 275k

MoM drop was 22%

YoY drop is 7%

Weekly average

September: 354k / 5 weeks = 70,800

October: 275k / 4 weeks = 68,750

WIU 65k

MoM drop was 26%

YoY drop is 6%

Weekly average

September: 88k / 5 weeks = 17,600

October: 65k / 4 weeks = 16,250

Market share as of this month:

XB1 - 38%
PS4 - 42%
WIU - 20%

You think TR might actually chart next month?
Pew. Maybe sneaking in at the bottom. It's not really bundled, so maybe it will be heavily added for free to bundles on BF (to get rid of this storage blocker).
And as far as I understood NPD logic those games count as much as sold ones...

blakep267

Last year the #10 position sold 660k, Lara has no chance of charting, & unless Halo has a crazy good drop (<50%), it won't chart either.
This years competition isn't nearly the same. You had last year, 2 Pokemon games, smash, first motley have halo, GTA COD far cry.

This year there's

COD
Battkefront
Fallout
Halo
Madden
2k16

After the top 6 you get into the not so great sales. AC is dead and isn't gonna get resurrected. Maybe you have yokai watch, infinity, minecraft , 2nd month of wwe, third month of Fifa. but it's fairly reasonable to think tomb raider could drop in somewhere there

Pew. Maybe sneaking in at the bottom. It's not really bundled, so maybe it will be heavily added for free to bundles on BF (to get rid of this storage blocker).
And as far as I understood NPD logic those games count as much as sold ones...

You're referring to "soft bundles" by the way. And yes, software units from soft bundles are included in the reporting.

Based on anecdotal I'm hearing, TR is having a very slow start. Wouldn't count on it sneaking in.

Bruno MB

Honestly, I don't think I would even bet on Rise of the Tomb Raider matching the Xbox 360 SKU of Tomb Raider (348,000 units).

Top Bottom