• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for October 2015 [Up1: Xbox #1]

sense

Worst do you mean? It is < 200k vs 270k.
It can be even ~150k vs 270k (close to 50%).

it all depends on how you look at it :) people may have bought the ps4 for uncharted collection. i personally feel last of us was still kinda new and people held out buying on ps3 knowing it would be on ps4 or it came out late in gen and that helped it a little and plus there was the left behind add on from earlier in the year that was included

leeh

Wait what?
If you google 'George NPD' you'll get a press statement about a George who's taken over as the chief of NPD. Whether it's that George or another, we'll never know. Although with the data he's releasing, it's safe to assume so.

@George: We worship the screen space you post on. Sorry if looking into you makes you sad.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Wait what?

https://www.npd.com/wps/portal/npd/...ident-and-chief-research-&-analytics-officer/

woah.gif

lol

You're referring to "soft bundles" by the way. And yes, software units from soft bundles are included in the reporting.

Based on anecdotal I'm hearing, TR is having a very slow start. Wouldn't count on it sneaking in.
Hmmmm, Soft Bundles.
I like that, thanks.

I still think it's possible.
Attention: super-pun...

I'm cheering for the underbitch.

Shenmue

Banned
You're referring to "soft bundles" by the way. And yes, software units from soft bundles are included in the reporting.

Based on anecdotal I'm hearing, TR is having a very slow start. Wouldn't count on it sneaking in.

Yeah seems that way. Hopefully the PC release comes and saves TR as it's done for so many poor performing console games.

Chobel

OK, so NPD Group president is called George. That doesn't mean this NPD_George is that George.

And I actually hope he is not the president of NPD group, I don't want him to lose his job.

Halo 5 tanked, Sony lost a month where they introduced a price cut, Yoshi surprised us all and there's only one guy called George that works at NPD. The things you learn on GAF ;)

leeh

OK, so NPD Group president is called George. That doesn't mean this NPD_George is that George.

And I actually hope he is not the president of NPD group, I don't want him to lose his job.
Your glass is so half empty.

If he's the president, I'm sure he knows what he can and can't share.

FX-GMC

That really puts it into perspective. I viewed Titanfall as a failure and wasn't sure what to make of Halo 5's numbers. Now I do.

With all those damn sports games taking up space, I can't see it.

Titanfall Release Date - March 11, 2014
Halo 5 Release Date - October 27, 2015

Yeah, really puts it into perspective huh? Titanfall probably didn't sell any copies after the first 4 days anyway....

Alo0oy

Banned
This years competition isn't nearly the same. You had last year, 2 Pokemon games, smash, first motley have halo, GTA COD far cry.

This year there's

COD
Battkefront
Fallout
Halo
Madden
2k16

After the top 6 you get into the not so great sales. AC is dead and isn't gonna get resurrected. Maybe you have yokai watch, infinity, minecraft , 2nd month of wwe, third month of Fifa. but it's fairly reasonable to think tomb raider could drop in somewhere there

Tomb Raider will sell 300k at best (the reboot sold ~350k on 360 with nowhere near the competition Rise has), I don't think there has ever been a year where the #10 in November sold ~300k since the PS2 era.

Deku Tree

Hello, NeoGAF forums.

I really do apologize for not being able to respond to every one of you. I am unfamiliar with the nuances and intricacies of the NeoGAF community and forums in general, so there is a lot I do not really understand.

I didn't expect such an overwhelming response! This NeoGAF topic has thousands of posts! Thank you very much for all of the positive support! I really do appreciate it!

I am rather pressed for time with my full-time job, so I deeply apologize for not being able to respond to the numerous people who have 'quoted' me. As I previously mentioned I am unfamiliar with the nuances and intricacies of Internet forums, and the NeoGAF is especially perplexing, so I humbly request your patience as I learn about this community.

Hi Deku Tree! That's a very interesting name you have there.

Activision Blizzard's marquee expansion 'Destiny, the Taken King,' successor to the wildly popular 2014 juggernaut 'Destiny,' is an expansion which enjoyed robust physical retail sales in its debut month.

Within the September 2015 U.S. Games Industry NPD Report, the expansion sold 713K unit sales in its debut month. Please note that this figure includes all PlayStation 4 Bundles. Although this is lower than the significant debut of the original 'Destiny,' it has undoubtedly enjoyed a high digital adoption rate that reaches far beyond the 700K sales threshold because the existing owners of the Destiny game are encouraged to upgrade digitally for a lower cost.

In the October 2015 U.S. Games Industry Report that came out on Thursday, Destiny: The Taken King remained Activision Blizzard's best-selling title at U.S. Retail, slightly above the 200K sales threshold. Again, these figures include unit sales for all Bundles.

On the other hand, the original 'Destiny' Software SKU didn't fare nearly as well, selling only a small fraction of 'The Taken King' equivalent.

Hi NPD_George! (I like your name BTW.) TY VVM for the info! That is very interesting. I and many people on these forums that I know who play Destiny bought Digital. It is great to have you here. We really truly appreciate what you are doing.

The King only speak when necessary.
Exactly, CBOAT has less than a 100 I believe. He's been around for years! But can we please stop trying to link official NPD links...not a good look. Let that boy breath. We don't know if this'll affect him in anyway or not. Lets just leave it at NPD_(KING)George.

the talent has been leaking from Microsofts first party/second party studios for some time now

Been Xbox fan last gen, loved the 360, but pretty concerned with their product moving forward--343 hasn't touched Bungies efforts imo, and I'm concerned from what little I've seen of Gears of War 4

the talent has been leaking from Microsofts first party/second party studios for some time now

Been Xbox fan last gen, loved the 360, but pretty concerned with their product moving forward--343 hasn't touched Bungies efforts imo, and I'm concerned from what little I've seen of Gears of War 4

Im not really sure what there is to be concerned about over that E3 gameplay in June... unless you've seen something the rest of us haven't

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Wooly World outsold the Uncharted Collection?

I did not see that one coming.

Anecdotal, but my group of friends all passed including myself on this. Would've bit and I'm still going to, but no multiplayer was a disappointment. I'm still going to get it, but will wait for a price drop.

Alo0oy

Banned
I would like to be wrong because I enjoyed Tomb Raider - Definitive Edition a lot.

Next Monday on Pal Charts threads we will get a better picture of what can be expected for Rise of the Tomb Raider.

Tomb Raider is an anomaly though, it's one of the few franchises where the US & UK market don't agree, it wouldn't surprise me if Rise does better in the UK than it does in the US.

blakep267

Tomb Raider will sell 300k at best (the reboot sold ~350k on 360 with nowhere near the competition Rise has), I don't think there has ever been a year where the #10 in November sold ~300k since the PS2 era.
My point is what's gonna fill the gap. Some game has to. Are we expecting GTA or mine craft to come out of no where and sell 400k a year later( not that it's not possible)?

That really puts it into perspective. I viewed Titanfall as a failure and wasn't sure what to make of Halo 5's numbers. Now I do.

With all those damn sports games taking up space, I can't see it.

You viewed Titanfall as a failure??? You have really warped expectations.

I would like to be wrong because I enjoyed Tomb Raider - Definitive Edition a lot.

Next Monday on Pal Charts threads we will get a better picture of what can be expected for Rise of the Tomb Raider.

It came out already? Damn Fallout really silenced any noise TR had. It's going to be brutal.

Alo0oy

Banned
My point is what's gonna fill the gap. Some game has to. Are we expecting GTA to come out of no where and sell 400k a year later?

Yes? A lot of games re-appear in the chart out of nowhere for the holidays, expect GTA, Minecraft, & one family title (Lego, Disney Infiniti, Skylanders) to show up again.

Ray Down

Banned
It came out already? Damn Fallout really silenced any noise TR had. It's going to be brutal.

I have no idea why Microsoft put Tomb Raider against the mega Behemoth like Fallout 4 or hell any of the big winter games like Blobs 3 or Battlefront.

I know they probably want that BF sales but I imagine it would have done better possibly/have more talk about it if it came out in the Farcry 3 slot or sometime in spring like April.

bigedole

Regardless if who this wonderful gentleman is, it appears that it is certainly in all of sales-GAF's bests interests to simply stop guessing and give him some space. If he's officially from NPD, we don't really want to annoy him into disappearing. If he's not, and this is insider info from the real report that he's sharing, we certainly don't want to be shining a brighter light on his efforts.

So far, his claims and numbers seem to match what we've been told and led to believe in the past, and have at least been passively confirmed on 2 separate occassions. Let's just count our blessings and hope he sticks around through the Holidays. Pre-season is over after all :D

Walpurgis

Banned
You viewed Titanfall as a failure??? You have really warped expectations.
I don't think that I am alone on viewing Titanfall as a failure. There was a bundle with a price drop and crazy good deal, and it didn't really affect hardware sales month-to-month and Xbone lost, iirc. You have to remember that Titanfall was supposed to be the next big thing back then.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Just caught up. Pages 55 through 80-whatever have now been read.

Great to see some data came through. Those Halo 5 numbers... good grief. What a fall. 12 million shipped on Fallout, though -- hot damn on a plate, that's fabulous.

I don't think that I am alone on viewing Titanfall as a failure. There was a bundle with a price drop and crazy good deal, and it didn't really affect hardware sales month-to-month and Xbone lost, iirc. You have to remember that Titanfall was supposed to be the next big thing back then.

Halo makes Titanfall look like a huge success now.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Anecdotal, but my group of friends all passed including myself on this. Would've bit and I'm still going to, but no multiplayer was a disappointment. I'm still going to get it, but will wait for a price drop.
Yoshi's Woolly World has multiplayer, so you should get that instead!

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Rise of the Tomb Raider is pretty much sent to die for a number of factors - namely releasing alongside Fallout 4 and Square Enix announcing the release timing of the PC/PS4 versions well in advance. Hopefully a lesson learned for the future.

So does this mean Xbox is going start beating PS4 and win? When I see Xbox beating PlayStation it literally makes me sick to my stomach. I heard that MS won October and I was so down that I didn't get out of my bed for hours. Sony please just win. Please!

Top Bottom