• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for September 2015 [Up2: Nintendo Numbers]

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Will be interesting to see how long the current system will be able to stick around. Further price drops in 2016 and AAA releases will help... But it will take something big, like VR gaming entertainment to keep the market from shrinking further.

I'm expecting they'll just cycle the generation by 2019. This gen seems to have moved sales significantly earlier in the generation as the people buying consoles have a lot more disposable income and the consoles are relatively more affordable.

Cross-gen helps a lot with earlier launches and adoption as well.

Eggbok

FcpxesM.gif

I laughed hysterically at the GIF for some reason.

I did as well lmao!

Xbox One sold 168k last October. It'll sell more than that.

Definitely for October but November will be harder to tell.

I still think $50 after almost two years is too little. They have so many games next year that could benefit from a larger install base.

It will help no doubt especially with the bundles Sony have this year. There was a peculiar lack of anything last year outside of a couple of bundles. Sony are ready this year.

because here at GAF patience is a virtue, let's *vaguely* talk about October.
Sony has UC bundle coupled with the fact that they just cut the price to $350 versus a $500 Halo 5 bundle. Considering it's Oct 9 vs Oct 27, do we just move the Halo impact to November?

That 550K for x1 and ps4 total is pretty horrific. Those price cuts couldn't come soon enough. There definitely needs to be sub $300 sku out there though.

edit:Thinking about x1 sales though they could be abnormally down due to Halo bundle preorders. Hopefully October and the holidays make up for the losses in console sales this month. Hoping the market ends up higher overall this holiday.

Wait, what? Horrific? How so? Last September saw a HUUUUGE release with Destiny. That bundle drove massive sales. Did anyone really expect this year would be anywhere CLOSE to that? It's a normal September. I mean, a combined 550k probably swings low 300s for PS4, mid 200s for X1, which is EXACTLY in line with the majority of GAF predictions.

For God's sake people, have some perspective. The doom and gloom crap has officially reached critical mass.

Mario Maker sold 455,000 in 3 weeks.
Mario Kart sold 415,000 in 2 days.

Smash also sold 490,000 in NA first 2 days.

The sales are still rather good. Its finally viable for nintendo to launch decently big IPs on WiiU it seems. Too bad its getting replaced next year haha.

Funny that Wii U was the only one out of the three to see an increase YoY.

It's happening.gif.

Definitely for October but November will be harder to tell.

It will help no doubt especially with the bundles Sony have this year. There was a peculiar lack of anything last year outside of a couple of bundles. Sony are ready this year.
Yeah, it's not selling 1.2 million this November. I'd say between 700k-800k for both November and December. The PS4's a whole different beast this holiday season.

Plus it only did 1.2 or so then b/c it did terribly the rest of the year. It's been quite better MoM this year compared to last.

Kathian

Banned
You might almost think (as most did) that the consoles launching so quickly and highly just meant theyd fall earlier.

SwolBro

Banned
For God's sake people, have some perspective. The doom and gloom crap has officially reached critical mass.

I dunno man the hardware for both consoles are so weak compared to PC. Consumers just have so many other options now to game. These consoles had to impress big time and they're not.

I know a lot of people underwhelmed by the consoles this gen even though i enjoy the hell out of my xbone.

test_account

XP-39C²
because here at GAF patience is a virtue, let's *vaguely* talk about October.
Sony has UC bundle coupled with the fact that they just cut the price to $350 versus a $500 Halo 5 bundle. Considering it's Oct 9 vs Oct 27, do we just move the Halo impact to November?
The tracking period for October will probably be to 30th October. Halo 5 will open strong, so a big part of the sales will be done that. It might sell good in November too of course, but we will see good numbers in October too.

Sterok

Better than I thought for Mario Maker. No matter how saturated the system is Mario still sells. Now if only it could launch on something healthier.

2thepoint

Wait, what? Horrific? How so? Last September saw a HUUUUGE release with Destiny. That bundle drove massive sales. Did anyone really expect this year would be anywhere CLOSE to that? It's a normal September. I mean, a combined 550k probably swings low 300s for PS4, mid 200s for X1, which is EXACTLY in line with the majority of GAF predictions.

Good post, and may the force be with you.

Siege.exe

I still think $50 after almost two years is too little. They have so many games next year that could benefit from a larger install base.

You seem to be forgetting that the X1 dropped $150 last year alone. The PS4 launched at $400 and held its lead against a console that was the same price for five months and cheaper for almost 11 months, so there was no imperative for Sony to drop the price right away. Both consoles have been outselling their predecessors by a considerable margin since they launched, so there's really no cause for concern.

Quite surprised that, among all of the doom and gloom, only a couple of people have stopped to ponder whether last year was just abnormally big. Downward trends are rarely a positive thing, of course, but Destiny was absolutely massive for the PS4 last year.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Keep calm, this holiday will be much bigger than last year with those price cuts and bundles.

Wha? I'm surprised they're so high.

NPD is tracking the Taken King that comes with Destiny included, there were already 10million people sitting with the game already, you think they all ran out and bought the game again just for Taken King?

We've already covered this.

Mory Dunz

this is what happens when you put out a quality product that's in demand. The main reason COD and Madden continue to decline is that WOM is either mixed or negative, so it's left to true die-hards. Also why MLB: The Show continues to grow in popularity.

Is 2K on a upward swing? I thought I heard 2k15 was bad or something.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
Well, since the only interesting™ thing is the gap between XB1 and PS4, and the only comment here are about this, i wanna at least talk about Nintendo.

Nintendo prediction for September NPD 2015

-3DS up YOY by over 25%
- Mario Maker ~400k (retail+digital)
- Splatoon ~60k (retail+digital)

https://twitter.com/Ryng_tolu/status/656218665273151488

So far:

-3DS up YOY by near 25%
-Mario Maker ~455k

Not bad all considering. Now, come on Inklings.

Durock

I'm really curious to know how much Rare Replay has sold by now. It has been about 2 1/2 months, so I wonder if it has pushed close to or surpassed a million units yet. Probably not as I'm thinking that it will be a "long-tail" selling title for Microsoft, as long as they continue to ship it.

Maniel

Banned
People need to stop with the gloom and doom talk. This is a single month of pretty standard sales that might even look good if it wasn't compared to the destiny launch last year. Next month will have a great increase in sales year over year with Halo 5 and ps4 price cut. I'm not saying that we should ignore this month and only look at next month though. To have a clear picture we have to wait until December NPD to compare the entire year.

Javin98

Banned
Well, PS4 winning is no surprise, but PS4 and XB1 combined sales for September is ~550K was pretty shocking to me. I definitely expected more than that. Gotta wait for creamsugar to give us those numbers. Also, I hope MGSV still sold well despite being #3.

Kathian

Banned
People need to stop with the gloom and doom talk. This is a single month of pretty standard sales that might even look good if it wasn't compared to the destiny launch last year. Next month will have a great increase in sales year over year with Halo 5 and ps4 price cut. I'm not saying that we should ignore this month and only look at next month though. To have a clear picture we have to wait until December NPD to compare the entire year.

Suspect globally we'll see hardware significantly down. I don't thibk that's a hugely negative thing. Just a statement of the reality the industry is going in.

Top Bottom