• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for September 2015 [Up2: Nintendo Numbers]

jjonez18

Is 2K on a upward swing? I thought I heard 2k15 was bad or something.

2k15 sold over 1m+ last year as well.

Outside of 2k14 and that weird staggered New gen - Last gen launch it has been pretty consistent.

Surprised so many have been sleeping on the series.

If I have enough time I'll put together the first months sales for the last few NBA 2k games.

Aceofspades

Banned
Well, PS4 winning is no surprise, but PS4 and XB1 combined sales for September is ~550K was pretty shocking to me. I definitely expected more than that. Gotta wait for creamsugar to give us those numbers. Also, I hope MGSV still sold well despite being #3.

Its withen normal sep numbers, isnt it? Last year we had massive destiny release, of course we will have hardware decline this year. Doom posts are super funny tbh

I like how so many stay quiet when these consoles do better year over year for so many months but come out of the woodwork when they're down YoY for one month.

Mrbob

40% higher hardware and yet software continues to lag behind last gen.

Am I wrong, or is that a bad trend?

No.

I buy most of my games digitally now an all platforms. I'm not counted in the NPD.

We really need some sort of digital sales solution. So much of the market we aren't seeing. NPD is fairly useless now for software sales.

Javin98

Banned
Its withen normal sep numbers, isnt it? Last year we had massive destiny release, of course we will have hardware decline this year. Doom posts are super funny tbh
Just to clarify, this is not a doom post. I just expected more from both consoles, PS4 especially. I expected a sharp decline, but I guess we'll have to wait and see how much sales really dropped. Also, I participate in NPD predictions every month and I'm fully aware of how well these consoles sell. So keep that doom and gloom shit out of me. I just expected too much, I think.

Welfare

I like how everyone stays quiet when these consoles do better year over year for so many months but come out of the woodwork when they're down YoY for one month.

With the PS4, it's not surprising. It did over 530k last year. With the Xbox One, it's a bit more shocking as it's $50 cheaper than last year.

Well, PS4 winning is no surprise, but PS4 and XB1 combined sales for September is ~550K was pretty shocking to me. I definitely expected more than that. Gotta wait for creamsugar to give us those numbers. Also, I hope MGSV still sold well despite being #3.

Why was it shocking? It's a normal September.

Maniel

Banned
Suspect globally we'll see hardware significantly down. I don't thibk that's a hugely negative thing. Just a statement of the reality the industry is going in.
I agree that it's possible that hardware will be down because of the market shrinking, but I'm just trying to say it's too early to say. Xbox One will likely not be able to match last year's holiday even with Halo 5, but ps4 should be up hugely in the next few months between the price cut, Battlefront bundle, and CoD Bundle. Whether it is up enough to offset the Xbox One decline is still up in the air.

nib95

Banned
the review thread paints a picture that makes me want to play the game, and I don't play basketball games! LOL

I was watching my brother in law play it, even had a go myself and was tempted to buy it, and I rarely play sports games. Looks incredible, has a decent campaign, story, character creation and development etc. Gameplay is really fluid as well.

Mario Maker did better than I expected.

So far:

-3DS up YOY by near 25%
-Mario Maker ~455k

Not bad all considering. Now, come on Inklings!

Even if we get Splatoon numbers leaked.. it won't have it's digital sales, will it?
It will be a bit difficult to see if you were close.

Serenity

Wait, what? Horrific? How so? Last September saw a HUUUUGE release with Destiny. That bundle drove massive sales. Did anyone really expect this year would be anywhere CLOSE to that? It's a normal September. I mean, a combined 550k probably swings low 300s for PS4, mid 200s for X1, which is EXACTLY in line with the majority of GAF predictions.

For God's sake people, have some perspective. The doom and gloom crap has officially reached critical mass.

Yeah you are probably right. Seeing it written out like that makes the numbers seem better.

JayEH

Decent placing for MGSV. Had predicted it would be 2 or 3 but thought that Destiny would have and nba respectively would be 1 and 2. Nonetheless still good showing for what was a packed month.

AmyS

I can't believe Max Mad did better than MGS5: TPP.

edit: no sorry, that's wrong, I thought MGS5 didn't even chart at first, I glanced at the list too fast.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
Mario Maker did better than I expected.

Even if we get Splatoon numbers leaked.. it won't have it's digital sales, will it?
It will be a bit difficult to see if you were close.

No, but at least is something.
Though we know Splatoon digital sales are usually easy over 15% of total sales in the US.

Example:
May: 165,000 (136,000 retail; 29,000 digital) / 82.5% retail; 17.5% digital
July: 85,000 (71,000 retail; 14,000 digital) / 83.5% retail; 16.5% digital

I'm not going to have time to pick up Mario Maker but I have heard a lot of great things about it. I'm hoping it has legs and does great for Nintendo.

The PS4 can't be stopped. It's a great system with a strong line up, a vocal community, and the best version (pc excluded) of third party games. I can't wait to get my gold edition next month.

I really enjoy my Xbox One and first party Microsoft titles but I don't see them catching up anytime soon. They might take November and maybe a few months in the next few years but Sony has this gen won.

Edit: I'm surprised MGS:V didn't do better. It was the first MGS game I have ever played and found it extremely welcoming to a beginner of the series. Opinions and all of that, but I am still surprised.

Interesting that Madden sold more than Phantom Pain in its second month.

My thoughts as well. I didn't Madden still held that amount of popularity. I don't keep up with sports games though.

onQ123

Games. The One and PS4 have had one big new franchise after three years. Destiny. About it.

Maybe I'm tripping but from Nov 2013 to Oct 2015 look like 1 year & 11 months to me. How did you get 3 years?

PS4-Release-Date.png

Nba 2k16 deserves all the sales it can get. It really is an amazing sports game and probably my favorite basketball game of all time. The amount of modes and options to customize your play style is just jaw dropping.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Damn Forza 6 didn't make it.

Fucking glad that destiny is not even in top 3.

Pachinko

Not only was Destiny Launched last year behind a massive marketing campaign but PS4 was touted as the place to play for months prior to release so tons of people bought a PS4 last september.

On top of that though, Microsoft did that free game promotion during the launch week of destiny - buy the console (the kinect free or kinect bundled version) and get basically any game you want for nothing.

This year we have had nothing of that sort , the xbox one remained at 349.99 and roughly the same bundles as last year were available. Metal Gear came out on both consoles , taken king came out on both consoles. There just wasn't really anything truly exciting to make those who still haven't jumped in to current gen do so. It's also a bit too early for christmas sales to have any kind of impact, people always wait for black friday now because the bargains are always better.

I would actually be surprised if console sales this christmas track ahead of last year, I think they'll be down. Xbox One might do pretty well in October I guess , thanks to Halo 5 but how much pull does that really have after last years Master Chief Disaster ?

Sony has no exclusives that matter coming out until next year so they'll just be maintaining status quo for a few months.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
?

It's at number 8 i would not assume that it did well

In a month like September, with many new release, i think #8 is fine.

Mario Maker is #6 and sold 455,000 digital+retail, let's say is 400k withouth digital, Mad Max can be at 300k. Which is not bad.

But we will see.

GnawtyDog

Banned
We need them PAL Charts for Forza 6. Looking like a bomb.

Par for the course this month. Also surprised with #1 and #3. Should of being flipped I thought.

The steep drop in console sales is troubling. The hardware is too expensive? Lack of interesting titles? Lack of interesting features?

I would actually be surprised if console sales this christmas track ahead of last year, I think they'll be down. Xbox One might do pretty well in October I guess , thanks to Halo 5 but how much pull does that really have after last years Master Chief Disaster ?

Sony has no exclusives that matter coming out until next year so they'll just be maintaining status quo for a few months.

I think Halo 5 will do pretty well (even if it doesn't set the charts on fire like Halo 3) and the one two combo of COD + Battlefront will also help sales in both consoles.

If you add Tomb Raider and Fallout it seems there's "something for everyone" (adventure, action, RPG, etc). I think sales will be pretty solid. Besides, with both console's price now officially at 349 USD, holiday bundles/sales might push a lot of people that are still waiting for the 299 USD sweet spot.

Top Bottom