• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for September 2015 [Up2: Nintendo Numbers]

curb

Banned
It's a kids game, and moms ain't buying the most expensive next gen console on the market for their kids. There's a reason why the 360 version is still the most popular.

The Saga Bundle might be counted as a different sku.

Edit: last time I'm mentioning that. I don't want to sound like the Disney Infinity PlayStation Defence Force.

Lucreto

Forza didn't chart last year either. I think if bundles were included it would have charted 11. If I remember correctly.

Loudninja

Surprised The Taken King did better on Xbox One.

“As we kick off the holiday season, we would like to take a moment to thank fans for making PlayStation 4 the best-selling console and #1 in software sales in September. PlayStation 4 was the number one console for NBA 2K16, Madden NFL 16, Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain and FIFA 16. Including the highly successful limited edition console bundle, PS4 also led retail sales for Destiny: The Taken King.”

When does EA give up with trying to compete with the juggernaut 2K franchise?

NBA2K has become a seriously impressive franchise keeping up with the booming global popularity of the real life NBA.

I haven't picked up 2K16 yet but I will to check out the Spike Lee joint lol

Surprised The Taken King did better on Xbox One.
Probably due to the lasting effects of their guerrilla marketing campaign from last year:

2a7ee8ed770e478010076e1af41a05b8.gif

RedAssedApe

Banned
RE: TTK

Didn't they also have some weird pricing where digital could be obtained cheaper?

$60 for disk with vanilla with the emotes (i.e. people new to destiny)
$40 digital without emotes

Wonder how that affected digital versus retail.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
When does EA give up with trying to compete with the juggernaut 2K franchise?

NBA2K has become a seriously impressive franchise keeping up with the booming global popularity of the real life NBA.

I haven't picked up 2K16 yet but I will to check out the Spike Lee joint lol

Well their CEO and COO are super sports dudes, so they'll hang on to NBA longer than necessary.

However, at some point they'll likely have to bite the bullet.

"NBA 2K is the same as last year."

"It's a great thing that I dodged it this year as it seems things are the same"

"2k16 is just like 2k15" *says person watching video streams on youtube*

etc etc etc.

Please eat crow. Congrats to the 2K team for making argumentatively, the BEST 2k since 12 and 08. That's all that matters to. Good job to the rest.

The PlayStation Community is the best as well.

Destiny TTK must have sold like bannanas as no-one these days buys physical expansion packs yet enough people did to put it fourth for the month in physical sales. Over 50% sales were digital for this expansion perhaps, putting it way up there.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Those Happy Home Designer numbers are surprising.

Serenity

That 550K for x1 and ps4 total is pretty horrific. Those price cuts couldn't come soon enough. There definitely needs to be sub $300 sku out there though.

edit:Thinking about x1 sales though they could be abnormally down due to Halo bundle preorders. Hopefully October and the holidays make up for the losses in console sales this month. Hoping the market ends up higher overall this holiday.

That 550K for x1 and ps4 total is pretty horrific. Those price cuts couldn't come soon enough. There definitely needs to be sub $300 sku out there though.

Seems to me both console sales have slowed recently. I'm even thinking both will again be down YOY in October/November.

Does anyone else think this?

Ryng_tolu

Banned
Second best NPD launch ever for a Wii U game.

1) Smash Bros = 710,000
2) Mario Maker = 455,000
3) Mario Kart 8 = 415,000

( all those numbers are retail+digital )

I see absolutely no way you can make this claim.

I agree that digital sals are a big chunk of the loss, but what evidence do you have for your statement?

NPD is tracking the Taken King that comes with Destiny included, there were already 10million people sitting with the game already, you think they all ran out and bought the game again just for Taken King?

I figured as much & that's why I said 10% digital. It gives a general idea of what sales above/below could be.

Yeah I was guestimating everything above being higher than 400k using a 10% Digital rate. Could be slightly higher bit I would be surprised if MM did more than 15% digital.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Will be interesting to see how long the current system will be able to stick around. Further price drops in 2016 and AAA releases will help... But it will take something big, like VR gaming entertainment to keep the market from shrinking further.

I thought it was going to change around last year tbh. I expected the wii U sku of these games to be on top of next gen in 2013, but not past that. Especially as the other consoles raced ahead.

If grandmas bought the wii u, who the eff owns a wii U? lol, is it the casuals or ninty hardcore? There's almost not even enough room in that 10m for both...

idk but whatever demographic is on the WiiU is a lot more interested in TTL games than *us* on PS4/XB1

TheJoRu

Second best NPD launch for Mario Maker on Wii U, over Mario Kart 8.

1) Smash Bros = 710,000
2) Mario Maker = 455,000
3) Mario Kart 8 = 415,000

(all including digital)

Pretty impressive (though Mario Kart would obviously be a lot higher had it been tracked as long as Mario Maker was this month).

Top Bottom