• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD: Xbox One wins October NPD. Best Selling Console in US 4th Month In a Row

Welfare

I don't think so meng. I think the Pro will do just fine, but $299 plus all the crazy bundles MS has put together is what's driving sales. 4 months in a row is not due to luck.
I'm just waiting to see how either of these companies shoots themselves in the foot. As the past has shown us, one of them most definitely will.

While I expect XB1 to sell better than the regular PS4, Pro will be enough to keep Sony in front imo.

Both consoles will sell a ton though. Should be a very good holiday season for both.

Fuchsdh

Proof?

Both Sku's are sold out on Amazon.

As has been brought up time and time again, Amazon really isn't a good metric for this stuff.

Admittedly I suppose it's better than just people's gut feelings.

I would imagine with the PS4Pro coming out Sony has to have November locked down even with the crazy deals around the holidays, but if it's a (comparatively) niche product for a subset of console fans I wonder if it will make much of a difference long-term, and if so what that means when Scorpio hits the scene.

Petrae

I think Sony really messed up not pricing the PS4 Slim at $250. We'll see what effect the Pro has, but I get the feeling the Xbox One has a real chance to take November and December as well.

I agree with this. Significantly lower price point plus bevy of popular multiplats (CoD, BF1, sports) makes for an attractive buy versus a $400 box that comes with nothing.

The real holiday battle will be between XBOS and the elderly PS4/PS4 Slim. Both are comparably priced, both have bundles. That will be fun to watch.

Tall Paul

Fantastic Xbox motivation for the last few months and going into Christmas, system updates and good bundles have certainly kept it going, love the 's', be interesting to see how it pulls through into next year and into Scorpio release window.

Don't call it a comeback. While sales are improving which is a great sign, the PS4 Pro will knock out the gap the XB1 has made back.

Doesn't it feel like PS4 Pro shipments are pretty small to begin with, though? I guess it could factor in much more seriously during November than later months simply due to the timing where the standard PS4 should climb higher, but the hype and enthusiasm for it seems pretty low.

Fantastic job being done by the Xbox Team over the last year. Nice to see them being rewarded. The S really is just a great product for a nice price tag.

I'll be picking one up Black Friday for sure.

Elandyll

Banned
I think Sony really messed up by not pricing the PS4 Slim at $250. We'll see what effect the Pro has, but I get the feeling the Xbox One has a real chance to take November and December as well.
Very much doubt it frankly.
Both (slim) consoles will be $249 around BF, and the Pro is looking like it's going to have a big effect in November, and it'll probably have one in Decmber too.

4 months is going to be it, and when all is said and done, the gap will probably still increase in 2016.

DBT85

Going to continue in the UK probably with the firesales they are having right now to clear OG stock. £200 with GOW4 and Division.

ViolentP

I think Sony really messed up by not pricing the PS4 Slim at $250. We'll see what effect the Pro has, but I get the feeling the Xbox One has a real chance to take November and December as well.

I think Sony's sales may have lulled due to the impending release of the Pro giving Microsoft an open field for a few months. It was however the right time to release the S.

I think Pro will put Sony up for November, but December will be very close- could go either way.

Regardless, this kind of competition is great for all consumers.

cackhyena

Just got the Pro today. Good lord does the XB1 S beat the pants off of it in the looks department. I guess Sony ain't topping the OG PS4 design this gen.

Ashtar

Cool, I hope gears sold well, good game
It's always good to see the under dog attempting to make a comeback, hopefully this pushes Sony to make more exclusives, I'd hate for it to be the impetus for more money hats and the like

I don't think its impossible for Scorpio to be very very successful in the US if marketed correctly. We've seen that the brand name and awareness for Xbox is still incredibly strong considering how decently they are performing even with all the issues the Xbox One launched with.

They need to make sure they nail the message and delivery.

DBT85

I don't think its impossible for Scorpio to be very very successful in the US if marketed correctly. We've seen that the brand name and awareness for Xbox is still incredibly strong considering how decently they are performing even with all the issues the Xbox One launched with.

And the price.

They MUST nail the price.

ViolentP

Staggering the release of the Scorpio is one of those moves that makes me respect Microsoft as a business. They are letting Sony dive into the mid-gen waters for the first time and essentially mark where the sharks are. A year from now, they can plug every gap discovered by Sony.

Montresor

We did it Microsoft!!! Not one, not two, not three, but four!

I1QlwV0.gif

Mrbob

I think it'll be successful too but we need to put a qualifier on what initial success will be since I believe Scorpio is going to launch at $499. Should sell well out of the gate, slow down, and pick up once more as the price goes to $399 and below.

Jumeira

Banned
Well done Spencer and co, well deserved. Expecting PS4 win next month and Xbox for December.

In hindsight, announcing S and then Scorpio a year apart was a stroke of genius.

AmyS

As a PS4 / PS4 Pro owner, all I can say is, yay awesome. Congrats Microsoft. Well deserved. I'll be picking up an Xbox One S before Christmas so I can watch UHD Blu-rays and play some Xbox One/360 BC games. I will also buy Scorpio when it arrives late next year.

I honestly hope the console hardware war continues. -- By the time President Trump (ughhh) is up for re-election, I fully expect PS5 and Xbox Next to be on the market, or within a week or so of that general election.

labaronx

I think it'll be successful too but we need to put a qualifier on what initial success will be since I believe Scorpio is going to launch at $499. Should sell well out of the gate, slow down, and pick up once more as the price goes to $399 and below.

True with a lot of competition price is key:

Its competing against the ps4 pro,ps4 slim xb1s and the nintendo switch,

Price and release date will be key

DBT85

Yep this will be hugely importanat as well.

$450 is the ceiling imo. They can't go for $499, that's just not a price the market seems to be comfortable with

For their sake I hope they are getting it in at $399. If it is simply a larger GPU and the same CPU we've seen on Xbone and PS4/Pro then I can't believe they can't hit $399 if they want to. If they've gone more advanced with the CPU then they might not have a choice.

So, how did Sony mess up this lead?

The lead has simply shrunk in these markets. It still exists and grows when counting wW numbers. But this is an NPD thread.

ViolentP

So, how did Sony mess up this lead?

I don't think they did. I just think enough people knew of the near release of the Pro and decided to wait on buying a PS4. I mean the Slim is great and all, but people want the most power they can get for their money.

Expecting PS4 win next month and Xbox for December.

This is kind of exactly how I'm expecting things to go. I think Sony takes November by a pretty solid chunk due to Pro, but Idk I don't see the Pro being a huge mover in December. I could be totally off on that but we'll see. PS4 Slim sales haven't been impressive at all so far either.

I'm leaning Xbox taking a close December

Top Bottom