• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD: Xbox One wins October NPD. Best Selling Console in US 4th Month In a Row

I think PS4 pro will mainly split new buyers between versions rather than increase them relative to the time of year.
They should get a hefty chunk of upgraders from the day1 crowd three years ago, but I wouldn't want to guess how many.

gtj1092

I didn't notice but do they mention somewhere if sales were actually up YoY. Pretty sure last October was halo month. Just want to know if the one s is really changing things or have ps4 sales just gone in the tank.

I want to see Novembers NPD. That's going to be the real show. Both systems have great discounts for black friday and the pro is out as well, so no more "they're waiting for pro" reasoning (i waited for pro... lol).

labaronx

Funny isn't it the PS4Pro did to the PS4 Slim what everybody screamed Scorpio was going to do to the Xbox One S.

But what will be the result post e3... i agree the doom and gloom was exaggerated but its 2 completely different situation

MaulerX

There's a full year between S and Scorpio though, not just a few months like Slim and Pro.

That wasn't the narrative though. I clearly remember people saying stuff to the tune of "Microsoft killed the Xbox One S two hours after they announced it!"

oti

Banned
Correct. We want to really humor the idea of Microsoft taking the lead? Scorpio is their chance.

They did beat the PS4 for four months straight. Even if the margins weren't substantial and even if it only outperforms the PS4 in Microsoft's key markets, the momentum pretty much has shifted.

But now the Pro will shake things up again.

Chris1

Gitaroo

Have a feeling that xbox will lead again in nov. Ps4pro launch today and there are more people asking about mini snes and there is now line up and when I ask ebgames they said tge preorder number isnt very high at all for the pro.

Tmecha

Neo Member
Great job, I know in Australia lots of people bought Xbox for forza horizon 3.

With ps4pro does it start at 0 or adds to regular ps4 numbers?

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
It's not, I just checked?

Well not sold by Amazon directly anyway I mean.
CxlsFpbh.jpg

ViolentP

They did beat the PS4 for four months straight. Even if the margins weren't substantial and even if it only outperforms the PS4 in Microsoft's key markets, the momentum pretty much has shifted.

But now the Pro will shake things up again.

I'm not an analyst so this is all opinion but, I legitimately feel that the drop in number of sales of the PS4 is in direct correlation with the impending release of the Pro. I feel confident that four months ago when Sony was still outselling Microsoft, if you asked those buyers if they would take that same console with increased graphical horsepower for the same price they were about to pay, 99% would have said yes. At some point, I would imagine many (potential) buyers will wait for the right time to purchase. Hence, the lull in sales.

This is of course just theory.

oti

Banned
That wasn't the narrative though. I clearly remember people saying stuff to the tune of "Microsoft killed the Xbox One S two hours after they announced it!"

That's correct.

For me, the way MS talks about Scorpio, it sounds like a bigger change then what Sony offers with the Pro. So much so that I lost interest in Scorpio and now want an Xbox S. I will upgrade my PC eventually so I could play those games on PC instead of Scorpio. But a cheap 4K machine with a nice design? Sign me up.

And also, a full year is a lot. Especially with Microsoft throwing better bundles every week at people.

firelogic

Congrats to MS!

But...they've practically been giving away the XB1 since the launch window debacle. When has the XB1 not been on sale or part of bundles with 1-6 free games thrown in? Just saying.

labaronx

You're not wrong, a lot of sites and analysis said the same.

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/dfc-...e-xbox-one-slim-right-out-of-the-gate/0168781

I thought the same to be honest LOL, genuinely surprised they went into so much detail about Scorpio and how well the S is doing

But there were still xbox and big 3rd party games and bundles released this thing was never going to slow down early or dry up completely

The biggest question i have now is that as Microsoft continues to lower and lower the price of an xb1s how much will it be worth on trade in for scorpio? stuff like this is a double edged sword? The xb1s could be $150 this time next year and be worthless as a trade in to move on to scorpio

oti

Banned
I'm not an analyst so this is all opinion but, I legitimately feel that the drop in number of sales of the PS4 is in direct correlation with the impending release of the Pro. I feel confident that four months ago when Sony was still outselling Microsoft, if you asked those buyers if they would take that same console with increased graphical horsepower for the same price they were about to pay, 99% would have said yes. At some point, I would imagine many (potential) buyers will wait for the right time to purchase. Hence, the lull in sales.

This is of course just theory.

Oh I agree. I'm just saying that the numbers are clear. You don't get the lead four months in the row just like that if you're the distant second place. Microsoft worked hard to get those four months. Sony... didn't really. I expect them to go full out with the Pro now that holidays are approaching too.

Oh I agree. I'm just saying that the numbers are clear. You don't get the lead four months in the row just like that if you're the distant second place. Microsoft worked hard to get those four months. Sony... didn't really. I expect them to go full out with the Pro now that holidays are approaching too.

Ehhh... I'm not so sure. Microsoft's working really, really hard at the moment, but I think Sony's looking at the global picture and feeling pretty comfortable with its own roadmap.

I'm sure they want to be ahead in the US as well, but I think Sony looks at the bigger picture a little more than perhaps Microsoft does. I can't ever see Sony going ham just to claw back some NPD wins.

Detective

A healthy gaming industry is good for all of us.
Congrats MS, to think where Xbox one was at the beginning and what have they done until this day they deserve all the applause.

I love my XB1S <3

I thought GAF and the internet said that Scorpio killed the S right of the gate!?! :/

I've never believed it so...Voila...

ViolentP

I like a hungry Microsoft. Sony is definitely a little swollen in the head right now and I'm curious to see if that confidence is enough to direct them in uncharted waters.

Elios83

I'm interested in the gap.
A victory with no context doesn't tell us anything. Gap could be 10k like 100k.
Of course it's clear that this year Sony is really focusing on November and December given the timings of their hardware launches and deals.
With Pro and all the deals at 250$ for the Slim, Sony is well positioned to win November but we'll see.

I like a hungry Microsoft. Sony is definitely a little swollen in the head right now and I'm curious to see if that confidence is enough to direct them in uncharted waters.

So swollen in the head they've just dropped PlayStation VR and PS4 Pro in the span of a month. Look at them arrogantly sauntering around doing nothing...

labaronx

I'm interested in the gap.
A victory with no context doesn't tell us anything. Gap could be 10k like 100k.
Of course it's clear that this year Sony is really focusing on November and December given the timings of their hardware launches and deals.
With Pro and all the deals at 250$ for the Slim, Sony is well positioned to win November but we'll see.

I dont even think their focusing on November and December honestly as much as worldwide sales tbh. The lack of bundles, limited edition ps4s, marketing are a stark contrast to what they did last year, dont know if its the post layden effect, or if his replacement is asleep at the wheel but they dont seem to be as focused as last year in the us. No destiny limited bundle, no bo3 limited bundle, no vader limited bundle, most of the bundles this year seems to be euro centric

viHuGi

Banned
Do we have some numbers?

MS had Battlefield and Gears bundles if they didn't win it would be a tragedy, they won last year with Halo 5 aswell.

I don't get the drama lool

November and December will be ultra fun, hopefully both will do over 1 million on both months.

oti

Banned
Ehhh... I'm not so sure. Microsoft's working really, really hard at the moment, but I think Sony's looking at the global picture and feeling pretty comfortable with its own roadmap.

I'm sure they want to be ahead in the US as well, but I think Sony looks at the bigger picture a little more than perhaps Microsoft does. I can't ever see Sony going ham just to claw back some NPD wins.

You don't think Sony will advertise the living hell out of the Pro this holiday season? It's the only holiday season they can claim to have the most powerful console on the market.

I wouldn't call Sony that. Sony is winning comfortably, they don't need to invest as much money as Microsoft. Microsoft might win some NPD months but at what cost? Throwing ever cheaper bundles at the market is a nice way to win some months and goodwill from people burnt out by the Xbox One.

Sony has beaten MS comfortably and now they get to generate steady revenue without investing too much money. That's what happens if you beat the competition. That's what you want.

ViolentP

A complacent company doesn't feel the need to be the first one offering mass market VR and the first console supporting native resolutions up to 4K in the span of a month ;)

Agreed. I wasn't the one to assume complacency though. The other poster did. I'm of the confident Sony camp.

I wouldn't call Sony that. Sony is winning comfortably, they don't need to invest as much money as Microsoft. Microsoft might win some NPD months but at what cost? Throwing ever cheaper bundles at the market is a nice way to win some months and goodwill from people burnt out by the Xbox One.

Sony has beaten MS comfortably and now they get to generate steady revenue without investing too much money. That's what happens if you beat the competition. That's what you want.

The reason I sense confidence in Sony's actions is directly tied to the frequency of their offerings. Slim. VR. Pro. On a consumer level, options are great. But as a business, you shouldn't shake up your consistent success so forcefully. You're winning with the PS4. When those sales starts dropping to a predetermined margin, throw out the next fastball. And again.

Success can be easy but short-lived. Maintaining that success is the challenge.

yyr

My prediction is that X1 will take both Nov & Dec easily.

It's not hard to see why: there are a lot of great X1 exclusives from 2013 onward, and now, Forza Horizon 3 and Gears 4 are out, and they're awesome.

For the number of folks in the USA who already bought the PS4, who might not be interested in the PSVR, and are looking for something new to play, X1S is a reasonably-priced option that satisfies that hunger.

What well-known, mass-market, must-have exclusives does PS4 have coming out this holiday season? The answer to that question is why the folks I referenced above will choose the XB1S over a PS4P, and why Xbox One will win NPD through the rest of the year. After that, who knows?

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Yep. It was kind of expected.

While I'm sure Xbox is now on a much better path to a more competitive sales trajectory, next months sales will be the final word on whether the worm has actually turned or not.

You don't think Sony will advertise the living hell out of the Pro this holiday season? It's the only holiday season they can claim to have the most powerful console on the market.

They may well do, it just doesn't feel like it's going to go that way right now. I'm a bit surprised most of the bundles they're doing are Slims to be honest.

It's not hard to see why: there are a lot of great X1 exclusives from 2013 onward, and now, Forza Horizon 3 and Gears 4 are out, and they're awesome.

For the number of folks in the USA who already bought the PS4, who might not be interested in the PSVR, and are looking for something new to play, X1S is a reasonably-priced option that satisfies that hunger.

What well-known, mass-market, must-have exclusives does PS4 have coming out this holiday season? The answer to that question is why the folks I referenced above will choose the XB1S over a PS4P, and why Xbox One will win NPD through the rest of the year. After that, who knows?

You may very well be right, but exclusives won't be the factor that decide the race. Like, at all.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
If they take November or at least get close, then they'll officially be on the comeback trail in their 3 main markets.

The rest of the world is lost forever(except Brazil and Mexico).

labaronx

Yes that doesn't explain sony dominating november and December of last year in same situation, they made up for that with limited ps4s and 3rd party bundles... they dont have any of that this year... no battlefront or star wars movie hype to ride, no black ops 3, hell no assassins creed for europe, and sales still aren't terribly down... if this is the worst sony can do, then they must bath in champagne lol

ViolentP

I'm not saying it makes sense, but announce a Bloodborne Pro patch and sales of that console are going through the fucking roof. Which may lend credence to your exclusives theory, but that is still ultimately subjective. Objectively, people will more often than not pick more power for the same investment.

I'm happy is selling well, I hope it continues to sell even more all the way till next year,
competition is always good, and will cause Sony to drop prices, get better exclusives, and invest more on getting their product to be more attractive.

But I don't think it deserves the current sales, like at all
do to personal preferences of course, all their exclusives suck, no real fighting games, horrible lack of JRPGS that I care about,
the worst looking console and over rated controller and UI design, under powered console, ect.

Edit: That 4K movie player tho, and backwards compat is alright ( Vanquish, Ninja gaiden 2 , Dragons Dogma comat yet btw?)

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
I'm happy is selling well, I hope it continues to sell even more all the way till next year,
competition is always good, and will cause Sony to drop prices, get better exclusives, and invest more on getting their product to be more attractive.

But I don't think it deserves the current sales, like at all
do to personal preferences of course, all their exclusives suck, no real fighting games, horrible lack of JRPGS that I care about,
the worst looking console and over rated controller and UI design, under powered console, ect.

Killer Instinct is the best fighter released this gen. try it. It's free.

Qwyjibo

I bought an Xbox One S a week ago primarily for the UHD blu-ray drive. I never thought I'd buy an Xbox but here I am. I play most of my games on PC and PS4 but there was a bundle for the One S that was too good to pass up.

Ever since the Neo/Pro was announced I was planning on buying it assuming that it would have a UHD player. When it was announced that it wouldn't, I completely lost interest in that and shifted to getting the Xbox.

Top Bottom