• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD: Xbox One wins October NPD. Best Selling Console in US 4th Month In a Row

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Not surprising given how aggressive they've been with cheap sales and free games. I'd be concerned if it wasn't the top selling console.

I was one of those people and I ended up getting one. Once u see it in 4K you just can't go back. It's a lot more impactful than I thought it would be

I think the Gaffers who made thar prediction exhibited a weakness that is very common in these parts - a failure of perspective taking. They didn't realize that there are many varieties of people who play games, and for a lot of them the One S is a very appealing console, regardless of the existence of the Scorpio.

They don't count as sales on NPD until they actually launch the console. Don't worry, Nov results will be much more in line with Amazon's chart

They likely won't unless Amazon magically starts stocking the Halo bundle(the best selling Xbox bundle that hasn't been stocked there since late August). Even then, November is mostly decided within the last two weeks around black Friday, so whoever has the better deals (price/bundles) wins. Amazon will again mean little as people flock to Best Buy, Walmart and Target for their Black Friday deals.

Mind you, that won't stop people from posting charts blindly again from Amazon like the past two months

Stock will be the deciding factor here as these consoles will both fly off the shelves as usual.

Target deals:
$249.99 Xbox One S Battlefield 1 or Minecraft bundle (save $50 and get a $40 Target Gift Card)
$249.99 PlayStation 4 Uncharted 4 bundle (save $50)

Best Buy:
$50 off any Xbox One console or bundle
PlayStation 4 Slim Uncharted 4 bundle with The Last of Us Remastered and Rachet and Clank for $249.99 (usually $299.99)

Walmart:
PlayStation 4 Slim Uncharted 4 500GB bundle for $249 ($50 off) plus a $30 gift card
Xbox One S White 500GB Battlefield bundle for $249 ($50 off

Fisty

How well are those 4k bluray disk selling compared to streaming though? Do we have direct access to those numbers? And with everything you said wouldn't sony, a 4k content maker, a 4k tv and bluray manufacturer, would have emphasized putting it in their device? We cant say they made a bad decision with 4k, with the number of variables are missing like: what is 4k tv adoption rate? How are 4k blurays selling compared to streaming among those who have gotten a 4k tv? Im not saying its a mistake but maybe their internal research says something completely different from what you and i see... the same could be said about any company honestly like apple thinking people didnt need a headphone jack

Here's a bit from Engadget about sales to add context

In 2015, Blu-ray and DVD sales fell 12 percent while digital-media sales jumped 16 percent, following years of similar trajectories for both categories, according to figures from the Digital Media Group. In fact, digital sales also surpassed physical-media purchases last year, clocking in at $8.9 billion compared with $8 billion. And let's not forget about streaming subscriptions, which jumped 20 percent to reach $5.7 billion. In other words, 4K Blu-ray is launching at the worst time for disc-based media since the advent of DVDs.

So yeah you're right, physical is on decline. It's easier to lease the content out to streaming services than it is to print and ship discs, the profit margins are certainly better, and it's easier to control said content.

Another point to consider, 4K and HDR standards don't seem that solid yet

etta

my hard graphic balls
The S is for Sexy and also for Sells Well apparently
Successful.
Unlike your attempt :p.

They likely won't unless Amazon magically starts stocking the Halo bundle(the best selling Xbox bundle that hasn't been stocked there since late August). Even then, November is mostly decided within the last two weeks around black Friday, so whoever has the better deals (price/bundles) wins. Amazon will again mean little as people flock to Best Buy, Walmart and Target for their Black Friday deals.

Mind you, that won't stop people from posting charts blindly again from Amazon like the past two months
Phil should drop it to $199 on Black Friday and watch the salt flow on GAF when Xbox wins November as well.

Successful.

Phil should drop it to $199 on Black Friday and watch the salt flow on GAF when Xbox wins November as well.

If they are smart they will flood the stores with Minecraft bundles. $250 with a $40 giftcard at Target is pretty nice...

I have a strong suspicion that parents will lap it up...stock is key though

Fisty

Successful.

You don't think Sony is going to be dumping Slims at the same price point this holiday? This will do plenty on its own, and that's without even bringing the Pro into the equation

Yoday

If they are smart they will flood the stores with Minecraft bundles. $250 with a $40 giftcard at Target is pretty nice...

Agreed, at least they have a Minecraft bundle now. I'm still shocked that they didn't have one last year.

Arklite

Remember when Xbox was all about moving away from physical discs? The drive has been the biggest reason for peoples pick up, and the first time that Sony has surprisingly not pushed a media format.

etta

my hard graphic balls

Yea Minecraft bundle at $249 and $40-50 GC will be yuuuuuge.

Those saying physical media is on the decline, I think it's more about perception that the XB1S is a better value because it has that feature. It adds value to the console

Trago

A new media format is selling a home console? Shocking!

That could bite Sony in the butt in the coming months of sales.

Agreed, at least they have a Minecraft bundle now. I'm still shocked that they didn't have one last year.

Same, I thought this was the biggest no brainer. IMO they should have also included Minecraft Story Mode, or at least episode 1...could have made some money from people buying the rest of thos episodes too :p

sense

Not surprising since MS is doing a ton of fire sales while Sony just trying to make money on hardware and not being as aggressive just to sell a few more units

Ushay

I hope Scorpio's design gets handled similarly

I believe both One S and Scorpio were design in parallel, so this is a given. I expect a larger form factor in a nice black shade. Should be pretty nice box.

OT - The real news here is the fact they have managed to turn around Xbox from 2013 (in deep trouble) to it's, mostly, well perceived image now in the space of 3 years. Really surprising and impressive at the same time. Bodes well for Scorpio and any games they have in the pipeline for it.

labaronx

Here's a bit from Engadget about sales to add context

So yeah you're right, physical is on decline. It's easier to lease the content out to streaming services than it is to print and ship discs, the profit margins are certainly better, and it's easier to control said content.

Another point to consider, 4K and HDR standards don't seem that solid yet

Again im not saying he's wrong but his situation is different from the masses, the ps5 should definitely include a 4k bluray drive but you have other options now, most 4k tvs offer playstation 4k video service... 4k tvs allow network hookups and external hard drives, 4k blurays are more expensive than regular blurays on average and digital 4k content seems to be much cheaper, sony as a content provider has that info and many more, their conclusion was/is physical media demand is still evaporating, even people on gaf tend to underestimate digital game sales... that engadget article lines up with other stuff ive read on different sites

There is no act and more importantly no warrior BS , specially from me. It was a genuine question, very much like yours. Now, did you or did you not?

Drop the attitude, buddy. I have already explained myself to the person who made the comment, so take a deep breath and relax...

Sony's marketing has been a lot less aggressive than MS's these pass few months. Lackluster bundles and higher price in US and UK makes people choose the X1S instead. Maybe the gap between PS4 and XB1 sales is so large in global scale that Sony no longer feels the need to push hard in these territories anymore.

Garlador

Sony's marketing has been a lot less aggressive than MS's these pass few months. Lackluster bundles and higher price in US and UK makes people choose the X1S instead. Maybe the gap between PS4 and XB1 sales is so large in global scale that Sony no longer feels the need to push hard in these territories anymore.

I'm sure that's it, but Microsoft HAS been killing it lately.

They've addressed practically every single complaint levied at them during the early launch days, and are finally seeing the benefits.

Sony just had such a huge lead upfront that they've grown complacent and can afford to do so for some time.

Though they should probably not get comfortable.

viHuGi

Banned
I'm sure that's it, but Microsoft HAS been killing it lately.

They've addressed practically every single complaint levied at them during the early launch days, and are finally seeing the benefits.

Sony just had such a huge lead upfront that they've grown complacent and can afford to do so for some time.

Though they should probably not get comfortable.

Sony is still outselling them 2:1 WW and holidays will be insane for PS Brand but i agree no company should get comfortable.

Fisty

Again im not saying he's wrong but his situation is different from the masses, the ps5 should definitely include a 4k bluray drive but you have other options now, most 4k tvs offer playstation 4k video service... 4k tvs allow network hookups and external hard drives, 4k blurays are more expensive than regular blurays on average and digital 4k content seems to be much cheaper, sony as a content provider has that info and many more, their conclusion was/is physical media demand is still evaporating, even people on gaf tend to underestimate digital game sales... that engadget article lines up with other stuff ive read on different sites

Definitely yeah, I was agreeing with you fully. UHD Blu ray will come to PS5, but only because the games will be on UHD Blu rays. Sony isn't going to stick an extra disc reader in a PS4 just so people can watch the ~100 movies on the market, they have been clear that Playstation hardware is about games first. People are crying about no UHD Blu but some of those same people were ripping MS apart about TV TV TV.

Sony of all companies should know that digital is going way up and physical is steadily declining, MS tried to slit the goats throat in 2013 but Sony is just sharpening their knives and waiting for the goat to fall over dead

N.Domixis

Banned
Yea Minecraft bundle at $249 and $40-50 GC will be yuuuuuge.
Pro Alone insures they won't win. Price parity of the slims also ensures this. I still think pro is one of the reasons ps4 has been losing. After these last two months we will finally know if Xbox is outselling ps4 in US.

So whenever Xbox wins, Sony are supposed to crush it the next month it seems.

4 months in a row is a massive achievement. Considering what the past 3 years have been like for MS.

AmFreak

So whenever Xbox wins, Sony are supposed to crush it the next month it seems.

4 months in a row is a massive achievement. Considering what the past 3 years have been like for MS.

They had advantages they never had before in these 4 months and won't have in the future.
I would have been greatly surprised if they hadn't won Oct. and i would be greatly surprised if they won Nov.
People are just waiting for the Pro.

labaronx

Stock will be the deciding factor here as these consoles will both fly off the shelves as usual.

Target deals:
$249.99 Xbox One S Battlefield 1 or Minecraft bundle (save $50 and get a $40 Target Gift Card)
$249.99 PlayStation 4 Uncharted 4 bundle (save $50)

Best Buy:
$50 off any Xbox One console or bundle
PlayStation 4 Slim Uncharted 4 bundle with The Last of Us Remastered and Rachet and Clank for $249.99 (usually $299.99)

Walmart:
PlayStation 4 Slim Uncharted 4 500GB bundle for $249 ($50 off) plus a $30 gift card
Xbox One S White 500GB Battlefield bundle for $249 ($50 off

Wait that bestbuy ps4 black friday bundle comes with 3 of the highest rated ps4 games, 2 of which released this year,..... not bad

labaronx

Definitely yeah, I was agreeing with you fully. UHD Blu ray will come to PS5, but only because the games will be on UHD Blu rays. Sony isn't going to stick an extra disc reader in a PS4 just so people can watch the ~100 movies on the market, they have been clear that Playstation hardware is about games first. People are crying about no UHD Blu but some of those same people were ripping MS apart about TV TV TV.

Sony of all companies should know that digital is going way up and physical is steadily declining, MS tried to slit the goats throat in 2013 but Sony is just sharpening their knives and waiting for the goat to fall over dead

Honestly im more interested in the 4k marvel netflix series and stranger things 2, when i get a 4k tv next year, thats where the bulk of my 4k focus will be, and dr strange if it releases in 4k

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Pro Alone insures they won't win. Price parity of the slims also ensures this. I still think pro is one of the reasons ps4 has been losing. After these last two months we will finally know if Xbox is outselling ps4 in US.

The Slim has been at price parity since launch. The S still outsold it.

Also, technically the Xbox HAS been outselling the PS4 in the US. For the last 4 months.

Fisty

Honestly im more interested in the 4k marvel netflix series and stranger things 2, when i get a 4k tv next year, thats where the bulk of my 4k focus will be, and dr strange if it releases in 4k

True, another good point. The biggest shows out right now aren't being watched on UHD or even regular Blu Ray. Probably only collectors still buy seasons of stuff like GoT on disc when you can just use your HBO sub to watch all the episodes on demand at any time through your 4k TV's built in HBO app

N.Domixis

Banned
The Slim has been at price parity since launch. The S still outsold it.

Also, technically the Xbox HAS been outselling the PS4 in the US. For the last 4 months.

Yes, ps4 will still come on top. Slim will sell slighlty under the xbox slim and then add in the monthly pro sales that will come along. It should push it above it. You can't ignore the effect pro is having. The same will occur as we get closer to scorpio.

Bgamer90

Banned

Yeah, definitely plays a role.

Hugstable

Banned
Surely the uhd player has nothing to do with this, right?

I think it's a mix of alot of things, mainly cheaper price with good bundles, One S having a much better design than the base system, the Backwards Comp is really blowing up now, as well as the UHD player.

Top Bottom