• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD: Xbox One wins October NPD. Best Selling Console in US 4th Month In a Row

We did it Microsoft!!! Not one, not two, not three, but four!

I1QlwV0.gif

Do you work for Microsoft? Genuine question...

jaypah

Do we have some numbers?

MS had Battlefield and Gears bundles if they didn't win it would be a tragedy, they won last year with Halo 5 aswell.

I don't get the drama lool

November and December will be ultra fun, hopefully both will do over 1 million on both months.

What drama? All I see are congrats, people who expected this and downplaying. None of them are really wrong either.

Seloth

Banned
I wouldn't be surprised if XB1S outselling PS4 becomes the norm considering the underwhelming specs of the Pro, not many people I know are excited about it at all.

ViolentP

Hopefully these wins show them the things that they're doing like backwards compatibility are the way it should be.

They gave me Lost Odyssey and for that, I will always be grateful. But start releasing all your BC titles digitally. MS can have my money, not fucking Gamestop.

Elios83

I dont even think their focusing on November and December honestly as much as worldwide sales tbh. The lack of bundles, limited edition ps4s, marketing are a stark contrast to what they did last year, dont know if its the post layden effect, or if his replacement is asleep at the wheel but they dont seem to be as focused as last year in the us. No destiny limited bundle, no bo3 limited bundle, no vader limited bundle, most of the bundles this year seems to be euro centric

Layden is still CEO at SCEA, you probably mean Tretton but he left long ago at this point, basically after the PS4 launch.
Also in the US you're still getting the best deals.
Here in Europe we have tons of bundles but they're standard bundles and you pay for the games with very little discount if at all (with the exception of the UK where retailers can make crazy deals).
They're not giving Uncharted 4 for free here, they launched the Slim without games at 299€.
There was no Call of Duty given for free at launch outside US.
Also more bundles could be announced soon after the Pro launch is settled for December. FFXV for example will get an exclusive bundle and Final Fantasy usually sells a lot of Playstations.
We'll see how things will unfold, right now we're at a stage where we need to understand how many sales Sony has lost in September and October because of the Pro and how the market will react to a 249$ PS4. Also without knowing the gap there's little to comment about this month as well.

Tycho_b

I'm happy is selling well, I hope it continues to sell even more all the way till next year,
competition is always good, and will cause Sony to drop prices, get better exclusives, and invest more on getting their product to be more attractive.

But I don't think it deserves the current sales, like at all
do to personal preferences of course, all their exclusives suck, no real fighting games, horrible lack of JRPGS that I care about,
the worst looking console and over rated controller and UI design, under powered console, ect.

Edit: That 4K movie player tho, and backwards compat is alright ( Vanquish, Ninja gaiden 2 , Dragons Dogma comat yet btw?)

right now it is a cheap alternative to PC and UHD player. Seems to do the job

They've done an amazing job. Well deserved.

I want an XB 1S with all the amazing deals right now but it's hard to justify one since I own a decent PC and a PS4. All of their exclusives are coming to PC and multiplatform games that are not coming to PC I can play on the PS4. I guess I can buy one eventually for the 4K Bluray player once I have a 4K TV

Javin98

Banned
But I don't think it deserves the current sales, like at all
do to personal preferences of course, all their exclusives suck, no real fighting games, horrible lack of JRPGS that I care about,
the worst looking console and over rated controller and UI design, under powered console, ect.
I have very little interest in XBox exclusives, but come on, it's statements like the bolded that always begin the fucking list wars.

Anyway, XB1 winning is expected. Now we wait for the gap.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
oti xero said:
It's the only holiday season they can claim to have the most powerful console on the market.
You mean the same thing as last 10 holiday seasons(minus 2012). Pro is their added revenue driver just like elites and other nonsense were, not some mainstream volume driver.

Madness

Those games were not the main cause of increase. It was the ridiculously low fire sales they have been doing as of late. Its the only reason I bought one anyway.

It was the UHD blu-ray capability at a time when 4K televisions are taking off sales wise. I know 4 people in real life who bought one just for that. They don't care about Halo or Gears, but bought a new 4K 55" or something and wanted a cheap UHD player. Sony dropped the ball heavily with no UHD Bluray support. Even people buying 4K televisions for PS4 Pro are seriously debating whether to get an Xbox One S just for the UHD capabilities.

I have very little interest in XBox exclusives, but come on, it's statements like the bolded that always begin the fucking list wars.

Anyway, XB1 winning is expected. Now we wait for the gap.

It's the honest truth, you didn't take a hint when I mentioned JRPGS?
lol- search for my Infamous ps4 review -you'll get an idea.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Stop.
SMH...just no dude, cant even come close to KOF14 or STreet fighter V.

Play it. With an open mind.

I've been a Street Fighter guy since I was 12 in 1992. I still adore the franchise but Killer Instinct 2013 is a better fighting game. Quite comfortably.

SFV is still great. But it's fairly pedestrian in comparison. But we're getting way off topic now

I bought an Xbox One S a week ago primarily for the UHD blu-ray drive. I never thought I'd buy an Xbox but here I am. I play most of my games on PC and PS4 but there was a bundle for the One S that was too good to pass up.

Ever since the Neo/Pro was announced I was planning on buying it assuming that it would have a UHD player. When it was announced that it wouldn't, I completely lost interest in that and shifted to getting the Xbox.

I wonder how big of a mistake that UHD exclusion was. Cause the slim and the XB1S are about the same price but the PS4 slim is missing a pretty major feature now that people seem to be buying 4K TVs

If they take November or at least get close, then they'll officially be on the comeback trail in their 3 main markets.

The rest of the world is lost forever(except Brazil and Mexico).

I am afraid so. They had the possibility of becoming an international brand, ala Playstation, after the succes of the 360 and they blew it. Oh well...

labaronx

This is just wrong. KI is an amazing fighter.

Opinions mate lol

I think most of the fighters this gen have been pretty good, and we get injustice 2 and possibly tekken next year so look forward to more varying opinions

And just think rpg gaf gets to have these kind of opinions next year.... cant wait

Javin98

Banned
It's the honest truth, you didn't take a hint when I mentioned JRPGS?
lol- search for my Infamous ps4 review -you'll get an idea.
Whether exclusives are good or suck are totally subjective to you, of course. The lack of JRPG's on XB1 is, indeed, concrete fact. However, the statement "the exclusives suck" will more often than not rile up fans and start a list war for no good reason where both sides find conditions to downplay the other. Let's not pretend like GAF isn't a ground for such drama.

Madness

I wonder how big of a mistake that UHD exclusion was. Cause the slim and the XB1S are about the same price but the PS4 slim is missing a pretty major feature now that people seem to be buying 4K TVs

It is a big one. The price coupled with utility. You could never buy a single Xbox One game and yet you have a UHD blu-ray player that will be more future proof througd upgrades than any other brand, getting Atmos bitstream support etc. If you have recently bought a new 4k with HDR television, you know you have grappled with thinking about Xbox One S for the UHD playback.

Makes sense. Most potential PS4 buyers were waiting for PS4Pro.

I personally bought an Xbox One S in October! Yay!

I think you will see a small bump but i think the trend will still continue...sony have not done a good enough job convincing the public on the benifits of the pro...meanwhile on the other side of the fence i see tv ads...internet ads and some really good deals at retailers on the xbone.

Might be time to break out the infamous sony blackboard

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
It was the UHD blu-ray capability at a time when 4K televisions are taking off sales wise. I know 4 people in real life who bought one just for that. They don't care about Halo or Gears, but bought a new 4K 55" or something and wanted a cheap UHD player. Sony dropped the ball heavily with no UHD Bluray support. Even people buying 4K televisions for PS4 Pro are seriously debating whether to get an Xbox One S just for the UHD capabilities.

Sony and some fanboys (as well as some people I respect, but disagree with) are just sticking their heads in the sands while chanting that "internal research says that gamers are watching streaming video" instead... Not like PS4 is losing tens of millions of sales over this, but they are losing sales over this.

It is a big one. The price coupled with utility. You could never buy a single Xbox One game and yet you have a UHD blu-ray player that will be more future proof througd upgrades than any other brand, getting Atmos bitstream support etc. If you have recently bought a new 4k with HDR television, you know you have grappled with thinking about Xbox One S for the UHD playback.

The deals are so good right now it's very difficult to pass up. I posted earlier about how I can't justify one right now because I have a gaming PC and can play all their exclusives and I don't have a 4K TV but when I do have a 4K TV I would get one for sure

Still astonishing and baffling to me that all it took was a change of design and a 4K Blu Ray drive, that most of the people buying it won't ever even use, for the narrative and fortunes of these consoles to flip in such high profile markets.

I mean yeah, backwards compatibility and the other features PS4 lacks are nice pluses too, but non of that moved the needle in the OG model, yet somehow we've gone a third of a year with nothing but wins for the green team. I honestly wonder if people think this is an actual proper upgrade akin to PS4Pro, more than simply a slim model with a slightly more efficient and improved, but basically the same design, inside.

Will be interesting to see how this continues against the PS4Pro, and wether the surprising success of the XO S will actually end up hurting Scorpio's sales next year, instead of the new system on the horizon killing the Slim revision as seemed so logic when both systems were announced.

Garlador

Stop.
SMH...just no dude, cant even come close to KOF14 or STreet fighter V.

Incorrect. It's an incredibly impressive fighter.

I own the other two as well, and I'll give Killer Instinct its dues any day of the week. It's legit good and can hold its own against the competition with ease.

Whether exclusives are good or suck are totally subjective to you, of course. The lack of JRPG's on XB1 is, indeed, concrete fact. However, the statement "the exclusives suck" will more often than not rile up fans and start a list war for no good reason where both sides find conditions to downplay the other. Let's not pretend like GAF isn't a ground for such drama.

200_s.gif

I'm really curious if we're going to get Pro numbers. I've been watching Target's stock all day in the South Bay Area and it seems to be moving slower than I would expect. Most stores got about 2 to 3 units. Only a couple got 5 or more with the most being 10 at one store. A lot of that stock has been sitting still most of the day. With each store getting only a couple units each, I would have thought most stores would have sold out.

Well, that's really weird, it doesn't show up like that on mine.

Well the one thing that's interesting is the price says $339 which is far off from $399. Amazon will show a third party vendor if the price is a lot cheaper than theirs. You have to click on the list of sellers to find Amazon's listing at $399. That doesn't mean they don't have it.

geordiemp

I think you will see a small bump but i think the trend will still continue...sony have not done a good enough job convincing the public on the benifits of the pro...meanwhile on the other side of the fence i see tv ads...internet ads and some really good deals at retailers on the xbone.

Might be time to break out the infamous sony blackboard

See you in 1 month, have your crow ready to be eaten

Good job Microsoft!

The One S really nailed it in terms of a revision. It's interesting the new PS4s are so... understated. Even the Pro is fairly lacking in razzle dazzle with the packaging, design etc. Kind of feels like Sony have squandered a big marketing opportunity by just sort of sneaking these machines into the market. The marketing from MS has been way more effective.

Kaji AF16

Very deserved. Spencer-led Xbox is the most interesting gaming platform I´ve ever used.

Sony still has a significant advantage in global sales and goodwill, but the once "unstoppable", record-setting PS4 has kissed the canvas at least a few times. No shame in being second if the business is lucrative and the users are satisfied. Great exclusives, PC integration, backwards compatibility...

On top of this, the little we know about Scorpio looks better than the mild refresh offered by the PS4 Pro.

Autobiographical data: several of my RL gaming friends, who chose Playstation at the beginning of this generation, are currently switching back to Xbox.

Qwyjibo

Maybe not a big one for now but going forward, assuming more and more movies are released in UHD, it will definitely be another thing that helps maintain Xbox sales. The blu-ray player was a huge reason why I chose the PS3 way back in the day over the alternatives.

I'm a collector. I have a fairly extensive blu-ray library and I was looking to start with 4K physical media. Having a console/UHD player in one at a good price was very attractive. I honestly don't plan on playing too many games on the Xbox but it was still a great value for the UHD player. Plus I don't see much value in "upgrading" my current PS4 to a Pro.

They can still have a more than healthy business off the back of US/UK/AU/BRZ/MX though.

True that. I think they always will, because of the way they brilliantly handled things with the 360 in those countries. They have cemented their position as a strong contender forever.

Top Bottom