• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD: Xbox One wins October NPD. Best Selling Console in US 4th Month In a Row

labaronx

I wonder how big of a mistake that UHD exclusion was. Cause the slim and the XB1S are about the same price but the PS4 slim is missing a pretty major feature now that people seem to be buying 4K TVs

Sony would know better than most of us as they are in the 4k content business. Doing research online i found that youtube, sony, and netflix are the 3 largest 4k content producers currently. The top 2 are streaming sites, most of netflix shows and original movies are shot with 4k, YouTube has the most 4k content. I dont know if the decisions to not add a 4k player was the right thing to do... but they seem to have done their homework

Hawk269

Yea. Gonna make a bold bet and say XB1 wins November and December. Correct me if I'm wrong but all the BF deals I've seen of the PS4 are with UC4.

I think the BF1 XB1 bundles will make it do bonkers.

Yeah, there is just more added value to the Xbox One S versus the PS4. Even Targets leaked BF Early ad has both the PS4 and Xbox One S at $249.99 but the "S" gets you a $40.00 Gift Card as well. Then there is the current promotion that you get an "Extra" $59.99 or under game in addition to whats in the box.

I also think in a small way the marketing of the redesign and the media capabilities and UHD playback has a bit more added value. When you think of all that you get it is a compelling product, heck having the IR blaster is a godsend it it's self. lol

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
True that. I think they always will, because of the way they brilliantly handled things with the 360 in those countries. They have cemented their position as a strong contender forever.

As long as they don't Xbox One launch style fuck up again, they're basically set in their trinity of US/UK/AU. I suspect that Mexico and Brazil WANT to be Sony territories but Sony are pricing them out of doing it.

Don't call it a comeback. While sales are improving which is a great sign, the PS4 Pro will knock out the gap the XB1 has made back.
I don't think it needs to be in relation to the PS4. It should be about what the X1 has been able to do in the context of what has occurred with the X1 up to this point.

So, how did Sony mess up this lead?
They didn't. The PS4 still has a 1M+ lead in US. The X1 just hit all the right notes at the right time and it is benefiting from the momentum.

You are wrong. They're certainly not the primary factor, but they are a major one along with marketing deals and price.

Exclusives get your product noticed.
Nah, he is right. Exclusives support the third party. Marketing deals and price are far, far more important.

labaronx

Sony and some fanboys (as well as some people I respect, but disagree with) are just sticking their heads in the sands while chanting that "internal research says that gamers are watching streaming video" instead... Not like PS4 is losing tens of millions of sales over this, but they are losing sales over this.

But is it really, that far-fetched when most 4k content is on streaming sites.... fyi i dont get my info from sony but articles read on various tech sites, (i wont name them, because some maybe not allowed)... even before the xb1s that stance was consistent

But is it really, that far-fetched when most 4k content is on streaming sites.... fyi i dont get my info from sony but articles read on various tech sites, (i wont name them, because some maybe not allowed)... even before the xb1s that stance was consistent

They might be streaming 4K content but this 4K player is going to sell consoles that they wouldn't of sold otherwise. I'm proof of that. I sold my regular Xbox one to get this one and I don't regret it. I wouldn't have done that if it wasn't for the 4K player

Madness

Sony would know better than most of us as they are in the 4k content business. Doing research online i found that youtube, sony, and netflix are the 3 largest 4k content producers currently. The top 2 are streaming sites, most of netflix shows and original movies are shot with 4k, YouTube has the most 4k content. I dont know if the decisions to not add a 4k player was the right thing to do... but they seem to have done their homework

Well then your research was mistaken.

http://4k.com/news/amazons-selectio...ay-movies-already-surpasses-100-titles-17190/

You can buy over 100+ UHD bluray titles from Amazon right now. Netflix has ghostbusters 1 and 2 in 4k, like 3 original movies, 2 of which are Adam Sandler ones, a few comedy specials and their own programming at 4K and that is it. YouTube is nothing more than demos or user uploaded stuff. Sony 4k streaming also junk. I bought a Sony X800D HDR tv. Nothing comes close to the quality and selection of UHD bluray and HDR right now. This was a big screwup by Sony. And they know it. Which is why they emphasize UHD bluray for their televisions and their technologies but never mention it with regards to Playstation Pro or the brand because they didn't include it. You can buy a Sony console, a Sony television and buy a Sony develop movie on a Sony developed format, but need a Microsoft console to play that movie.

statham

sweet. I think its been a multi-combo of things, from Gears, FH3, to the sweet look of Slim, to Price, Bundles, BC with RDR, VF, LO, to UHD, Xbox is on a total roll.

Insane Metal

Gold Member
Good on Microsoft.

Can't wait to see how things will go this month, with PS4 Pro, Slim and PSVR all on the market. Honestly, I'm not a fan of what Sony is doing at the moment. PS4 Pro doesn't look like a good excuse for an upgrade, the Slim is ugly as sin and PSVR doesn't have a great line up to convince me yet.

The XBO S on the other hand looks great and has 4K BD playback which is something inexcusable that Sony doesn't offer in any of the PS4s.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
On top of this, the little we know about Scorpio looks better than the mild refresh offered by the PS4 Pro.

Would Sony announcing a 12 TFLOPS PS5 for Holidays 2019 make you call Scorpio a mild refresh ;)? C'mon now... PS4 Pro is well over 2x faster than PS4 (in pure specs and more considering other tweaks they have added) and out now... of course a console that is about one whole year out may be even more advanced, but that does not mean much.

Fuchsdh

I wonder how big of a mistake that UHD exclusion was. Cause the slim and the XB1S are about the same price but the PS4 slim is missing a pretty major feature now that people seem to be buying 4K TVs

On one hand, physical media is still withering away, and it seems likely the vast majority of people are just going to use 4K streaming in the future.

On the other hand, you want to move consoles, and given how they've historically used the PlayStation as a trojan for getting people to the new format, it seems like they might have hurt themselves significantly in the short term with the people who actually care about that stuff.

Long term I don't think it'll matter too much, but it's definitely a nice perk as a X1 owner.

statham

Would Sony announcing a 12 TFLOPS PS5 for Holidays 2019 make you call Scorpio a mild refresh ;)? C'mon now... PS4 Pro is well over 2x faster than PS4 (in pure specs and more considering other tweaks they have added) and out now... of course a console that is about one whole year out may be even more advanced, but that does not mean much.

No, PS4 Bro, is mild, its using tricks and upscale to hit 4k, Scorpio and 2019 PS5 won't be using these tricks.

ViolentP

I understand both sides of this argument. If fidelity is of high importance, the increase the Pro potentially offers is certainly a draw. If it isn't your primary concern, however, I can see how the upgrades the Pro offers are less than stellar.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

It is because I can and use both, but I would not go over a Blu-Ray if I wanted to watch a great movie with spectacular picture quality and I do not want to hog the house bandwidth with the still not comparably well compressed and lower bitrate 4K Netflix stream.

Not to talk about the very real reality of bandwidth caps and average sustained bandwidth for many people. Sometimes some tech journalists live in a dream world with 1 Gbps affordable unlimited fiber house and may feel like this future is available to everyone.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I understand both sides of this argument. If fidelity is of high importance, the increase the Pro potentially offers is certainly a draw. If it isn't your primary concern, however, I can see how the upgrades the Pro offers are less than stellar.

What does it need to offer more than their 4K and 1080p upgrades to games? Well, aside from the lack of an UHD player which is a really bad choice IMHO.

I think you will see a small bump but i think the trend will still continue...sony have not done a good enough job convincing the public on the benifits of the pro...meanwhile on the other side of the fence i see tv ads...internet ads and some really good deals at retailers on the xbone.

Might be time to break out the infamous sony blackboard

I really hope so. We need more intense competition!

bigace33

I love my XB1, and there are some amazing deals currently running for it. Congrats to MS for aggressively pricing the console and turning things around.

Guess the next 2 months will be interesting, we will see if having the most powerful console on the market will swing things back in Sony's direction, as some people would have been holding off buying a PS4 because of the Pro.

Electret

No, PS4 Bro, is mild, its using tricks and upscale to hit 4k, Scorpio and 2019 PS5 won't be using these tricks.

Some Scorpio games will absolutely use 'tricks' - i.e., upscale. You're setting yourself up for disappointment if you think every game will be rendered in native 4K.

ViolentP

Some Scorpio games will absolutely use 'tricks' - i.e., upscale. You're setting yourself up for disappointment if you think every game will be rendered in native 4K.

In fairness, it is possible the Scorpio will produce native 4K. Just not at a price console gamers are used to paying.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

It is also doing native 4K games in addition to checkerboard rendering based ones and for the kind of so called "uncompromised" 4K quality you can have troubles on today's PC 8 TFLOPS GPU's... It is not a bad mid generation upgrade from either the timing or performance price points of view. We keep putting it down by comparing it to a video talking about a console releasing in a year with 6 TFLOPS being the only concrete released info about it.

You can and should be excited by Xbox Scorpio if this is how you feel, but putting PS4 Pro down is not really the answer.

Electret

In fairness, it is possible the Scorpio will produce native 4K. Just not at a price console gamers are used to paying.

It will render some games in native 4K. I'm not saying it won't. What I'm saying is that 'tricks' - to borrow a Stathamism - will be a part of other Scorpio games, as some devs will inevitably choose to crank up eye candy at the expense of native 4K rendering.

ViolentP

It will render some games in native 4K. I'm not saying it won't. What I'm saying is that 'tricks' - to borrow a Stathamism - will be a part of other Scorpio games, as some devs will inevitably choose to crank up eye candy at the expense of native 4K rendering.

Considering it is only a year away, I would say that is very likely.

DBT85

Indeed.

Neither the Xbone or PS4 render every game in 1080 still. Scorpio will undoubtedly run more games in native 4k that Pro, but it sure as shit won't be all. I'm not even sure it will be "most"

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Performance. Framerate, load times, installation times, etc...

SATA3 support for reduced installation and load times (sure, you may have to add an SSD to it to get the full benefit), PS4 Pro patched games do have performance improvements in terms of framerate or higher IQ and better effects. For 1080p users having SSAA for many games essentially for free is really really great... improvements in image quality is so underrated when writing about it, but it makes a big difference when playing.

statham

I understand that, BF engine fore sure won't be 4k, but it will be far fewer games.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
So at this point do we drop Amaxon as an accurate guide for sales?

I mean it was used a lot after Xbox led September and it was obviously innacurate.

labaronx

Well then your research was mistaken.

http://4k.com/news/amazons-selectio...ay-movies-already-surpasses-100-titles-17190/

You can buy over 100+ UHD bluray titles from Amazon right now. Netflix has ghostbusters 1 and 2 in 4k, like 3 original movies, 2 of which are Adam Sandler ones, a few comedy specials and their own programming at 4K and that is it. YouTube is nothing more than demos or user uploaded stuff. Sony 4k streaming also junk. I bought a Sony X800D HDR tv. Nothing comes close to the quality and selection of UHD bluray and HDR right now. This was a big screwup by Sony. And they know it. Which is why they emphasize UHD bluray for their televisions and their technologies but never mention it with regards to Playstation Pro or the brand because they didn't include it. You can buy a Sony console, a Sony television and buy a Sony develop movie on a Sony developed format, but need a Microsoft console to play that movie.

How well are those 4k bluray disk selling compared to streaming though? Do we have direct access to those numbers? And with everything you said wouldn't sony, a 4k content maker, a 4k tv and bluray manufacturer, would have emphasized putting it in their device? We cant say they made a bad decision with 4k, with the number of variables are missing like: what is 4k tv adoption rate? How are 4k blurays selling compared to streaming among those who have gotten a 4k tv? Im not saying its a mistake but maybe their internal research says something completely different from what you and i see... the same could be said about any company honestly like apple thinking people didnt need a headphone jack

Haha. I was just thinking about how many GAF analysts announced that the One S was sent to die in the wake of the Scorpio announcement.

I guess the rumors of its demise were premature?

I was one of those people and I ended up getting one. Once u see it in 4K you just can't go back. It's a lot more impactful than I thought it would be

ViolentP

SATA3 support for reduced installation and load times (sure, you may have to add an SSD to it to get the full benefit), PS4 Pro patched games do have performance improvements in terms of framerate or higher IQ and better effects. For 1080p users having SSAA for many games essentially for free is really really great... improvements in image quality is so underrated when writing about it, but it makes a big difference when playing.

It's already been proven that other bottlenecks prevent full usage of SSD which only furthers my point that the fidelity/performance argument is currently favoring one side.

And the GPU offers a performance increase, yes. But it is primarily a visual increase. The CPU is still taking a back seat which frankly, were it updated properly, would benefit almost every other aspect of the platform.

I'm not disappointed as upgrading both ends would increase the price substantially enough to warrant the title of next-gen, but it is not difficult to see that the Pro is catering to the eyes before anything else.

Top Bottom