• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 reviews and benchmarks

woen

What about 3440x1440 (21:9) ? What does a 1080 change from a 980Ti (since it's probably the power of the 1070) ?

For the same reason I don't criticize AMD cards for doing poorly on Hairworks. Async is a feature, but it remains to be seen if it will be "heavily utilized" by game developers. Doom is an interesting scenario, because it scales really well with Nvidia cards, and really shitty with AMD cards. I think it just ties into the fact that AMD has really poor support for OpenGL, and always has. It's definitely something to consider, but I wouldn't consider it a great benchmark. I also am big on being an informed consumer so in my mind buy the card that fits games you're going to play--if you really want to play Doom you should factor that into your purchase--or the one that generally wins out within the price range you have.

I don't think AMD squeezing out a bit more in Hitman is that huge of a deal, but I also don't plan on playing that game so I have no problem disregarding it. You have to look at the entirety of benchmarks when making a PC Hardware purchase, and generally the 1080 edges out the 980 Ti by ~30%, and the Fury X by similar numbers. There will always be some variance.

Comparing Hairworks(Nvidia tech) for one(?) game and a feature of Direct X12 isn't exactly apples to apples, and your right we have no idea if it will be utilised by many games. If it helps the current consoles though it could be an issue for Nvidia. It's our best example of this feature yet and the results of it are interesting, not because Hitman is a game I want to play, but because it gives insight on how AMD and Nvidia perform a feature of the next Direct X12 release. Doom is interesting in the same way, because it shows a strength of one manufacturer and a weakness of another. Although one can should be easy to fix with drivers and or new API support(Vulkan) while another is a hardware deficiency. Consumers will have weigh the pros and cons of each. Will there be more games with OGL or async? Is the performance differential big enough to worry about?

I will say a single benchmark has influenced a purchase for me in the past though. I played alot of WoW and Intel was getting double the frame rate of AMD. So for the first time in 10 years I bought an Intel. It was the i5 2400 and it cost me $50 more than the AMD I was considering and totally worth it.

Hmm, this doesn't seem impressive at all. seems like I might have to go for the 1080.

Yeah, this doesn't look impressive at all. Like I was telling my buddy about this, there is like a $300 difference between the 1070 and 1080......I have a feeling that when AMD releases their cards NVIDIA will counter with a 1070 Ti to fit right between the 1070 and 1080 to close the gap in this weird pricing.

I have a 970 right now which I am not fond of, but will look for a 980 Ti when the fire sales start. I think the 980 Ti can last me till HBM2.

Ozorov

So have all Nvidias reference card (980ti, 980/970, 780 etc) have a 8-pin connector? And can AIB-manufactures add a extra 6- or 8-pin? And what would this mean for overclocking etc?

McHuj

Hmm, this doesn't seem impressive at all. seems like I might have to go for the 1080.

On paper at least its about 65% more in flops over the 970. Not as big of a gain as the 1080 over the 980, but still pretty good. Plus it's 8 GB.

woen

Check the techgage review from the OP

Thanks.

So the average fps difference is between 15 and 30fps, mostly around 20, and since the TITAN X gets around 50/60fps average in most recent big games, I believe it'll be great for future games that will need more ressources.

It's a lot of money, maybe not worth it for that 3440x1440 masterrace (at least for me since I need to build a whole PC and buy the monitor and they cost almost as much as the PC itself)

Caayn

How does this compare to the 980 Ti?
Courtesy of the dutch site tweakers.net

naamlooswwqyh.png

(I replaced the Dutch terms with English terms except for "miljard" which is billion.)

Ozorov

naamlooswwqyh.png

(I replaced the Dutch terms with English terms except for "miljard" which is billion.)

Do you think AIB-cards will add Pin-connectors? So we get like 8+6? Since 8-pin is limiting the overclocking.

Ocelott

Thanks.

So the average fps difference is between 15 and 30fps, mostly around 20, and since the TITAN X gets around 50/60fps average in most recent big games, I believe it'll be great for future games that will need more ressources.

It's a lot of money, maybe not worth it for that 3440x1440 masterrace (at least for me since I need to build a whole PC and buy the monitor and they cost almost as much as the PC itself)

I have a 970 with a 3440x1440p monitor...I need that 1080 to run the games like how I want.

Durante

You guys think the 980Ti or 1070 will be better for VR.

Horribly phrased.

Let me try again. Which card would be better for VR?
For VR, probably the 1070. Even if multi-perspective rendering doesn't catch on, fine-grained preemption is a boon.

Not an expert, but this dosn't look too good?

In a lot of aspects looks even worse than a 980, less cuda cores, less SM's, etc..I know new architecture and all and that that data dosn't tell the full history, but isn't a bit dissapointing considering the price?.
Even for the most basic comparison (ignoring architecture differences) you need to multiply all the specs by the clock rate.

a couple of benchmarks from gamestar.de (with 980 sli performance)
more at their website
1080_bench_gamestar_19eqw0.png
Witcher 3 performance seems particularly good on 1080. Basically a 100% jump from a 970 at higher resolutions.
Which is a good thing, as TW3 is one of the few "high-end" games I'd actually like to play when I get a new card.

So, how much are we expecting a 1070 to cost? I didn't really want to go above 400€ but looks like there's some confusion/speculation with the prices thanks to the funders editions.

ghibli99

I know it's been said, but the 980 Ti to 1080 jump just doesn't look like it's worth it at the moment, but man, I do feel the excitement for those who have been holding onto their 6xx, 7xx, and 960/70 cards . Gonna be an amazing day when you upgrade. :)

Durante

So, how much are we expecting a 1070 to cost? I didn't really want to go above 400€ but looks like there's some confusion/speculation with the prices thanks to the funders editions.
I'd expect >500€ for the FE and ~450€ for the non-FE.
$380 US list price + relatively weak € + average 20% tax.

Kamina

Golden Boy
How does it fair with Dark Souls 3's more performance heavy areas? Or were thoese CPU limited?

I am surprised of how cheap and yet so much more powerful this is. But i will sill wait for a 1080Ti.

riflen

I would buy the 1080 Day One at $599, even with a shitty cooler, as I'm going to water cool it. But waiting for EK + waiting for a reasonable price is really killing my hype :(

Skellington, I'd wait until the 3rd party vendors release theirs. The reviews show that the power delivered from a single 8 pin is limiting how far you can push the clock.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Well, I think I'll wait for 1080ti to see if my 4k Dreamscape Time Hacking PC Adventure can begin in earnest. Plenty happy with the 980ti @1440p for now.

Gbraga

How does it fair with Dark Souls 3's more performance heavy areas? Or were thoese CPU limited?

I am surprised of how cheap and yet so much more powerful this is. But i will sill wait for a 1080Ti.

I really want a DS3 benchmark as well :C

Wow the framerate jump from 1440p to 1080p in Tomb Raider is nuts

6xQJr4u.png
70 percent more pixels:p

Most people don't realise just how big a jump 1080p to 1440p really is

I don't get why people are comparing a 1080 to a 980ti and brushing it off as nothing. Shouldn't they be comparing it to a 980? 70 to 90 percent increase in performance?

I feel like the 1080ti should be directly compared to the 980ti.

If anything, seeing the 1080 outperforming flagship maxewell cards has me more than excited for its bigger sibling. It would be awesome if we could get 70 percent increase in performance. Hell, even 40-50 would be impressive to me.

I think those of you who have waited 4 years for this shrink in die can wait a little longer for the definitive version of the GP100 line.
I did sort of had a moment of weakness a tear ago and bought a laptop with a 980m.

Then another 4 years down the Line GV200 will. All according to plan.

Because of the price

I agree that for a 300mm² chip the 1080s performance is INSANELY impressive

but it's also insanely expensive for a 300mm² chip, especially the FE, and it'll be even more expensive here in europe.

In the end performance/price is all that matters, and when you sell a card at the same price or higher than a 980ti then that's what people will rightfully compare it to

Hopefully the 1080 will go way down in price once the 1080ti is out and once amd's vega gpus are out.

EK usually hits right on launch with their stuff. My guess is you'll be waiting longer for a reasonably priced AIB model than you will for a waterblock. One thing to think about since you're going to be putting your card underwater: you might want a card with an additional 6/8 pin connector to deliver more power.

There are two walls the FE cards are hitting when overclocking. The first is temps, which are limited by the reference blower. You'll be addressing that when you add the card to your loop. The second is voltage. Even with a modded bios to increase the voltage limit, you can only deliver so much over a PCIe slot and one 6-pin connector. I don't know how much further the 1080 can go beyond 2.1-2.2 Ghz, but it seems clear that you won't be able to go any further than that without being able to feed the card more power, regardless of temps.
EK will have a block at launch. And several pc enthusiast sites have tested the FE with an aftermarket cooling solution and in all cases the limiting factor is not temperature but voltage/power delivery. If you want to push past 2.1 Ghz you will need a AIB partner card.

naamlooswwqyh.png

256GB/sec memory bandwidth huh

Maybe if the memory can be further overclocked it won't be that bad (assuming nvidia's claim of 20 percent increase in effective memory bandwidth because of the color compression is accurate)

Still pretty bad, but not as hopeless as I thought.

edit: counting the cuda core difference and the clockspeed difference the 1070 is only about 25 percent faster than the 980, that's not as fast as a stock 980ti. (and ofc there's the bandwidth issue)

seems like it's not another gtx 970

Knurek

Why would you ever get the idea that 1070 will perform below 980, OC or not? It will massacre 980 (probably performing around 980ti level or slightly below it).

The charts on NVIDIA website?
Actually, refreshed my memory with regards to 980 OC benchmarks, and you're right, even with the 66% increase from NVIDIA data, it should blow out 980.
Nevertheless slightly) disappointing.

Kieli

If they price it $50 more, you bet I'm going to be comparing it to a 980Ti and not a 980 just because of the "name".

Irobot82

We shouldn't look at 2Ghz like it's some super OC - what matters is percentage over stock.

And stock boost is around 1770

so 2050Mhz boost is modest 13% oc (i'm getting bit more oc on my reference 980ti)
even 2400Mhz would be 35% oc which is similar gain as high end AIB 980 ti had

This is interesting. I'd prefer to see these cards burned in for like 10 minutes before the bench recording starts. I'm pretty sure most sites start benches cold.

Renesis

1070 seems decent to me.
According to that graph

VR
+178% performance

Rise of the Tomb Raider
+79% performance

The Witcher 3
+69% performance

that would put it ahead of 980ti

spyshagg

Should not be allowed to breed
Yeah, silly him for asking a question relevant to the very thread we are in.

Geez, what is up with this thread?

I'm saving myself from 20 back and forth replies in which the point of my post would be neglected deflected and what not.

With you I can gladly say the point of my post was to be aware of how many years you intent to keep your purchase, because history is showing a severe lack of optimization on high end geforce cards once new models enter the market.

This is how the top dog 699$ Geforce Ti from 2013 is behaving today. The smoking gun something unethical is happening are the 3dmark scores (and cant be changed without bringing attention), which accurately reflect the positioning of each of those cards, but somehow with the 780ti that potential is not being translated into performance in the newer games, as opposed to the 970 and 290x.

AdanVC

Any news on how to get one of this here in Mexico and how much it will cost? (Probably like 2 times more expensive. Sigh)

spyshagg

Should not be allowed to breed
Buyers should also be aware that these sites all use overclocked $1000 cpus. Because AMD sucks at dx11 driver overhead this will massively benefit them. Hell, better cpus might even be part of the reason why AMD cards get better over time versus Nvidia.

Obviously most people don't have $1000 cpu's so the results on these sites aren't actually representative of the performance they will get. Whereas with Nvidia cpus matter way less. I bet if they were to do these benchmarks on a 2500k you will get very different results.

Its a very good and valid point. The one flaw I can think of is that the 2600k from 2011 is within 80% of the 6700K performance (I know because its my cpu), and the addition of 2/4 plus cores to the existing 4 seems to only benefit 2 or 3 titles in a nonlinear way.

The only 8 core cpu's that show improvement with dx12 seem to be the AMD FX series. Maybe thats what your referring to.

Durante

The only 8 core cpu's that show improvement with dx12 seem to be the AMD FX series. Maybe thats what your referring to.
Probably because they are the only 8 core CPUs slow enough sequentially for parallelization to be at all beneficial in current gaming scenarios.

Top Bottom