• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 reviews and benchmarks

The size does not matter. It's about the hints. They gave the 1070 card 1920 cudacores to hint that it is a 1920x1080p monitor card. While the 1080 is a 2560x1440p monitor card with 2560 cudacores. And the TI is going to be 3840x2160p card with 3840 cudacores. It's only natural progression.
That's... that's pretty clever

As someone currently rocking a i7-3770k and a GTX 680 what do people recommend I do?

I'm currently saving for a new PC build and looking at a GTX 1080 and I7-6700k. Looking to build around August, good idea to dip for the 1080 and that processor? Hoping for third party releases of the 1080 by that time.

So, basically, guessing + we still don't actually know anything. Got it!

We know a lot instead and guessing based on facts isn't at all wrong as you think it is. Of course we need real benchmarks but it's a cut down, 6.5 TFlops, -25% Cores and less bandwidth than a 1080. You really can't imagine anything performance wise from these info? Also please stop trying to be sarcastic or just don't reply to me at all if you want to have a normal discussion.

finalflame

Nvidia quoted the 1070 at 6.5tflops when a 980ti is 6.1tflops as well.

TFLOP numbers by themselves are not enough to predict gaming performance.

We know a lot instead and guessing based on facts isn't at all wrong as you think it is. Of course we need real benchmarks but it's a cut down, 6.5 TFlops, -25% Cores and less bandwidth than a 1080. You really can't imagine anything performance wise from these info? Also please stop trying to be sarcastic or just don't reply to me at all if you want to have a normal discussion.

Guessing, even based on theoretical numbers, is still guessing. Until there are real benchmarks, nobody knows whether a 1070 will outperform the 980 Ti or not. I'll also reply to you whenever I please, sarcastically or not. Feel free to ignore it if you're bothered by it.

tuxfool

Banned
Man l now wonder if Nvidia will go 10nm for the lower end chips given the TSMC news regarding ARM on 10nm?

Unlikely. They could go for it in their mobile parts but not desktop GPUs (nor laptop for that matter). Typically LPE processes come online before the HP processes. It happened at 28nm, at 20nm HP was a complete bust and it happened again at 16nm/14nm.

TFLOP numbers by themselves are not enough to predict gaming performance.

But are enough to predict approximate gaming performance given that you already know how a 1080 (same architecture) is performing along with the all the other specs which we already know and those are facts. Feel free to think that the 1070's performance is completely unguessable though.

Celcius

°Temp. member
As someone currently rocking a i7-3770k and a GTX 680 what do people recommend I do?

I'm currently saving for a new PC build and looking at a GTX 1080 and I7-6700k. Looking to build around August, good idea to dip for the 1080 and that processor? Hoping for third party releases of the 1080 by that time.

Buy the GTX 1080, overclock your current processor, and keep on rockin'.

Sonson21

Banned
Decided I'm going to hold off for a while on the 1080, took that 600 and ordered a Rift. I'll make due with my 970 until November or so.

BladeSinner

Neo Member
As a rule of thumb sure, but you're now being obtuse given what we know of the architecture as well. Even if it isn't exactly 980Ti performance, it's more than a safe bet it'll be close.

In all honesty, my opinion is that it will depend how well it can overclock. Agreed that stock v stock it will be close (probably +/- 5%), but the overclockability will be the real determinant here, I think at least.

Best to wait for Benchmarks.

Decado

Were the reports re: the size of the cards accurate (far smaller than Ti)?

I have a small case and thought I may have to build a new system, but if they are comparable in size to a 670 I may be able to just upgrade the card (and maybe RAM).

Do we have any feedback what motherboard features are required for installation and good performance?

Hari Seldon

Is there an official word on when this founder edition pricing is going to end and the "official" price starts? These cards look good but no way am I paying that price.

BladeSinner

Neo Member
Were the reports re: the size of the cards accurate (far smaller than Ti)?

I have a small case and thought I may have to build a new system, but if they are comparable in size to a 670 I may be able to just upgrade the card (and maybe RAM).

Do we have any feedback what motherboard features are required for installation and good performance?

Pretty sure they will also be 10.5" in length with regards to size. Since it is GDDR5, and 8GB of it, I find it hard to believe it could be any smaller than that.

That being said, most SFF cases can fit a 10.5" card. What case do you have?

Edit: full specs including size: http://www.geforce.com/hardware/10series/geforce-gtx-1070

kinggroin

Banned
In all honesty, my opinion is that it will depend how well it can overclock. Agreed that stock v stock it will be close (probably +/- 5%), but the overclockability will be the real determinant here, I think at least.

Best to wait for Benchmarks.

I mean, benchmarks will land first. We can't buy a 1070 regardless. But we DO have a price , so it isn't really crazy for someone to at the very least look forward to the possibility of picking one up.

It's certainly no "fool's card"

BladeSinner

Neo Member
I mean, benchmarks will land first. We can't buy a 1070 regardless. But we DO have a price , so it isn't really crazy for someone to at the very least look forward to the possibility of picking one up.

It's certainly no "fool's card"

Absolutely! I need to look at pricing, and see if that includes Founders Edition "tax" or whatever you want to call it. My advice though would be to look at a 980ti NOW if you can get one for around the MRSP of the 1070.

Man there is nothing wrong with my pair of Dell U2412 24" 1080p monitors. But I feel buying a 1080 is kind of a waste if i'm just planning 1920x1080 60 fps

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Man there is nothing wrong with my pair of Dell U2412 24" 1080p monitors. But I feel buying a 1080 is kind of a waste if i'm just planning 1920x1080 60 fps

This card would be a waste if all you have is a 1080p, 60 hz display. You can already easily achieve that in almost all games at max settings with a 980 Ti, 980 or even a 970 in a lot of cases. I suppose you could mess around with down sampling.

BladeSinner

Neo Member

It really depends what settings you want to run with and what games you want to play, and what GPU you currently have, and how long you want to reach max settings @ 1080p60fps. But yeah, in general I would say the 1080 might be a bit overkill for that.

It really depends what settings you want to run with and what games you want to play, and what GPU you currently have, and how long you want to reach max settings @ 1080p60fps. But yeah, in general I would say the 1080 might be a bit overkill for that.

I guess it justifies in my head that I am currently running a 560ti and I want to get into VR in next year or so. 560Ti just cant make it anymore...

As expected good card but not an upgrade for myself from a 980Ti. Will wait on the Ti or until a card not SLI can average 60fps or above on its own then I will upgrade.

It's the successor to the 980, of course it's not as big of an upgrade for those of you with 980Tis.

Reminder: I called it.

I just didn't call the long, ridiculous price gouging that is forcing us to wait.

So did I five or six months ago, if not more but you don't see me making repeated posts about it.

Nvidia quoted the 1070 at 6.5tflops when a 980ti is 6.1tflops as well.

The 980Ti FLOP count at reference is 5.63, the Titan X is 6.14TF.

Is there any reason to hold off on a 2.5k or 4k monitor at this point? I've heard of freesync or something, but I also heard there is going to be some sort of revision soon? If this is the wrong thread to ask this question, I can go post in PC community thread.

McHuj

Is there any reason to hold off on a 2.5k or 4k monitor at this point? I've heard of freesync or something, but I also heard there is going to be some sort of revision soon? If this is the wrong thread to ask this question, I can go post in PC community thread.

Personally I waiting for quality to improve. I want a 1440p IPS, but the quality of the current crop is poor.

TheRed

I wanted to skip this gen and hold out for the next one with my 970. But here I am with a Vive sitting here really needing that extra performance. Hopefully the 1070 performs pretty great because I don't wanna pay the $700 for 1080. Maybe I can still hold out with my 970 but everytime I get bad performance in VR it's gonna make it really hard. For mostly every other game I'm still happy with my 970.

BladeSinner

Neo Member
I think only of I open up the expansion slot or whatever it is called. I did not build it, so I'll have to see.

Yes, I believe you are correct. Should not be TOO difficult. I am sure there are more than enough people in the PC thread that can help you with that if you need guidance :)

Mrbob

Looking to upgrade my gtx 970.

Do you experts think I should go with a used gtx 980 ti or wait for the gtx 1070?

Hard to decide.
Is your 970 struggling right now? If you are into vr the 1070. Probably the 1070 in any case but we need some more benchmarks first.

If you're going after 4K, you would do better to get a small 4K TV instead of a 4K monitor. They use the good panels in TVs.

Or you could make the move to the comfy couch and get a big screen 4K TV for your PC gaming. This would benefit your consoles as well so it's a win-win!

Helznicht

Need 1080 VR Benchmarks!!!

Project Cars VR wrecks a 1080. Prob CPU limited, either way I'm sad

http://www.roadtovr.com/nvidia-gtx-...performance-head-to-head-against-the-980ti/3/

PCars-NoAA-FPS.jpg

Pingoreous

If your current card runs these games good i would invest on a G-SYNC monitor now and upgrade your graphic card when High Bandwidth Memory hits. G-sync will make any game look smooth and by disabling V-sync your frame rates will improve.

Top Bottom