• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 reviews and benchmarks

mrklaw

MrArseFace
You guys think the 980Ti or 1070 will be better for VR.

Horribly phrased.

Let me try again. Which card would be better for VR?

1070. Should be roughly on par for raw power, but assuming unity/UE update to support the multiprojection stuff, the 1070 should get a nice boost from that.

Sounds like the 1070 is the fools choice. 1080 or 980ti, if you must buy a new card now.

in a world where people don't have budget limits, sure. In the real world it will likely be way more popular than either 1080 or 1080ti

spyshagg

Should not be allowed to breed
Probably because they are the only 8 core CPUs slow enough sequentially for parallelization to be at all beneficial in current gaming scenarios.

That is accurate, yes. It wasn't brought up in my post for that reason, but it doesn't make your observation incorrect either.

cheers

holygeesus

Banned
Depends on if it gets up to 2000mhz boost when ocd like the 1080.

The 1080 also looks worse than the 980 ti other than clock speed, but the performance is there.

Exactly. the 1070 vs 980ti is looking more like which of the cards you manage to get overclocking further will win out. Only thing I can see being interesting is 4K performance, with the extra RAM of the 1070 (though countered with slower bandwidth.

Hawk269

Are there any rumors regarding when the 1080ti is set to launch? My 770 is looking long in the tooth and might be ready to be put out of its misery.

Probably next year. The usual pattern is that the Titan class version comes out and 6 months after that the Ti version comes out. That is they stick to what they have done in the past. I am hoping the Titan class version comes out towards the end of this year.

ItsTheNew

I believe any game made before 1997 is "essentially cave man art."
So with all the talk of the 1070 operating at 980 ti levels, would it be a smart idea to buy a 290x for $150 or a 390 at $200?

Haroon

1080 is a 300sqmm chip. 980ti is a 600sqmm chip. I think 3840 cores is a conservative estimate. If 1080ti is a 600sqmm chip could it have over 5000 cuda cores??

The size does not matter. It's about the hints. They gave the 1070 card 1920 cudacores to hint that it is a 1920x1080p monitor card. While the 1080 is a 2560x1440p monitor card with 2560 cudacores. And the TI is going to be 3840x2160p card with 3840 cudacores. It's only natural progression.

Hawk269

One reviewer said that there's space on the board for it. Then again, maybe it was intentional?

You just have to look at the images of the board and you can see that Nvidia added a second placement for more power, they just felt that the reference versions did not need it. So it won't be that hard for board partners to add a second power slot, they would also have to upgrade the regulators on the board to handle the extra power, but this is common for board manufactures. I don't think it will be long until we see boards with better power delivery and more power.

holygeesus

Banned
I think the 1070 would be the perfect choice for 1440p but it gonna melt at 4k.

The 980ti can play 4K material @ 30fps so the 1070 should be able to do likewise. If you can't game at 60 with a 1080 even, you might just as well cap at 30 and be done with it, if wanting to play at high resolutions.

For reference I benchmark 44fps average with an overclocked 980ti at 4k in Rise of the Tomb Raider, So 30fps locked is doable.

Xyber

Witcher 3 performance seems particularly good on 1080. Basically a 100% jump from a 970 at higher resolutions.
Which is a good thing, as TW3 is one of the few "high-end" games I'd actually like to play when I get a new card.

I'm holding off on playing through the last DLC and the upcoming one until I have the card, gonna be so good.

Question...

Is SLI/Crossfire still a pain in the ass? Thinking about maybe two 1080's....don't think I can wait for a Ti variant assuming there is one. My 680 is getting tired.

Megabat

This is all really cool. I can't wait to see how this affects performance down the chain. A theoretical ~3.5TF GeForce 1060 for ~$250 would be pretty nice.

spyshagg

Should not be allowed to breed
So with all the talk of the 1070 operating at 980 ti levels, would it be a smart idea to buy a 290x for $150 or a 390 at $200?

Cant fault any of those pricings.

390 if you game 4K or plan to keep it for 2 years.
290x if you game @ 1440p

290x can be flashed to 390x. You are literally paying 150$ for 390X performance. With a bit of overclock (1150mhz), you are gaming between Fury and Fury X territory on that 150$ card. I dont think you will see anything new on the market for that price/performance for at least a year and a half.

sqwarlock

No way. Even if it is slightly weaker than a 980 Ti at launch, it will be faster in a few months because of driver optimisations and newer games using DX12. Remember the 780 Ti.

Not to mention the 1070 will still be cheaper than a 980 Ti, at least initially. I can't afford to through $600 at a 1080, but I can swing $380 for a 1070.

dr_rus

B4Qb.png

Courtesy of 3DCenter, click for more resolutions, added to the OP.

With you I can gladly say the point of my post was to be aware of how many years you intent to keep your purchase, because history is showing a severe lack of optimization on high end geforce cards once new models enter the market.

Which is complete bullshit in itself and does not relate to anything post Kepler either. But you're too blinded by your crusade to understand this. It's a pity that some people may actually think that what you're saying has anything to do with latest NV h/w.

Vuze

Did anyone come across a review that talked about HDR or DP1.4? Granted there probably are no displays at all supporting the latter yet but HDR is in TVs as far as I'm aware so I'd be interested in some pieces on HDMI2.0b etc.
I only skimmed through a few and didn't see any more in-depth mention. Perhaps sb else did though.

Vuze

GeForce GTX 1080 Founders Edition: Premium Construction & Advanced Features

http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/articles/geforce-gtx-1080-founders-edition
Couldn't stomach more than the first paragraph now that we have independent benchmarks and measurements. What a pile of bs.

E: k, seems like they blocked me from commenting on the article because I mentioned the definitely higher temps on lower clocks presented in all reviews. Granted, it was tongue in cheek, but I'm really interested in how they achieved these temps on the reference card in Texas when all evidence points in the opposite direction.

I want a 1080 so bad, but there's no way I can justify that cost. I might have to wait for like an 1170 or whatever that next line's 2nd-tier card will be.

Mrbob

So I read the main Nvidia PR person jumped ship to AMD? Might explain the change in tone for PR. The whole craftsmanship angle is awful. They are making AIB cards seem like they are shit 1080 versions when they typically have more interesting designs. Extra 100 bucks for Craftsmanship designed to function at stock speed with same 3 year warranty, so amazing.

The size does not matter. It's about the hints. They gave the 1070 card 1920 cudacores to hint that it is a 1920x1080p monitor card. While the 1080 is a 2560x1440p monitor card with 2560 cudacores. And the TI is going to be 3840x2160p card with 3840 cudacores. It's only natural progression.
I feel dumb, didn't make this connection until you pointed it out. Totally obvious.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Looks like the 1080 is going to be a killer card for a 144hz G-Sync setup running at 1080p. Looks like it will easily push well over 60 FPS in even some of the most stressful games with everything maxed out.

Gbraga

The 1070's official price in Brazil is $673.

I'm fucked :')

Still want it, though.

EDIT: Why are all the benchmarks for Witcher 3 done with SSAO?

Hmm, this doesn't seem impressive at all. seems like I might have to go for the 1080.

Not an expert, but this dosn't look too good?

In a lot of aspects looks even worse than a 980, less cuda cores, less SM's, etc..I know new architecture and all and that that data dosn't tell the full history, but isn't a bit dissapointing considering the price?.

1070 specs are disappointing. Definitely waiting for HBM2 now.

Sounds like the 1070 is the fools choice. 1080 or 980ti, if you must buy a new card now.

What the hell am I reading? Do you guys know anything I don't cause these comments don't make any sense. It's a 380$ card with around 980Ti performance, that's about it. Not impressive enough? How are you jumping to the conclusion that it's a bad card? (or even below a 980)

finalflame

Gold Member
What the hell am I reading? Do you guys know anything I don't cause these comments don't make any sense. It's a 380$ card with around 980Ti performance, that's about it. Not impressive enough? How are you jumping to the conclusion that it's a bad card? (or even below a 980)

Says who?

Top Bottom