• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia just announced a handheld - releasing Q2 2013

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
TheHomer.jpg

hym

Banned
Assuming this device can enjoy some popularity thanks to the PC streaming feature what would stop Sony from patching the same into Vita?

In my struggling to fix my Internet, I missed this announcement. :( I want to see a video of it eventually.

From the sound of it, it doesn't seem like anything I want to buy from a console/handheld perspective, but I really want it from an Android perspective. I really want an Android device with touchscreen and buttons like Xperia Play.

antonz

Its worthless for PC gaming unless all you do is play console port PC games.

If Nvidia hadn't been a world class douchebag to the console manufacturers maybe they would be still getting a cut of the industry pie and not have to try something stupid like this.

All you had to do was not be a douche nvidia

So as I understand the "console" itself is nothing more than a peripheral that allows you to stream stuff off of your PC and onto the handheld that they've developed or use the handheld as a controller for putting your games on your TV. Do I have the gist of it? They're not selling the PC itself I'm assuming unless you want to drop down something like $500

The box itself is an Android gaming/media device. Like most handhelds, you wouldn't be caught dead carrying one around in public.

I guess MS is making something similar (using WinRT/8/WinPho8 devices), streaming content (games, movies, etc) from PC/Next Xbox.

Afrodium

Banned
This thing is ugly as shit and is not going to fit in anyone's pocket. This device is only portable in the sense that you can play games in your bedroom. No one is going to watch movies or listen to music on this thing, and while it's cool to have a device made specifically for Android gaming, I can't see anyone wanting to shell out the cash to lug around this monstrosity to play games that they could also play on something else in their pocket, albeit with worse controls.

The streaming of PC games is nice, but I would much prefer them to just release a small box I can hook up to my TV and control with a 360 controller.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals

If Nvidia hadn't been a world class douchebag to the console manufacturers maybe they would be still getting a cut of the industry pie and not have to try something stupid like this.

Pretty much. I don't think the novelty of playing my PC library on a portable at home (this isn't a remote internet device) is kind of taking the wind form under the sails.

Add the hitches we saw in the demo and I see red flags everywhere.

If it's cheap then I may care but right now I care very little.

Erethian

Wait, this is the first I've heard of this. Did they do something to piss off all the console manufacturers?

d_escudero

Neo Member
I was expecting the price for keep laughing... (thinking in $599 thing)
They have to redesign all the thing for do it at least portable

IrishNinja

honestly though should i be excited? we havent had 3DO/phantom etc side hustles in a while

you can finally play new super mario bros at 1080p on your toilet.

ghsts please don't judge my culture, this has long been a dream of my people

Morph-0

This thing is ugly as shit and is not going to fit in anyone's pocket. This device is only portable in the sense that you can play games in your bedroom. No one is going to watch movies or listen to music on this thing, and while it's cool to have a device made specifically for Android gaming, I can't see anyone wanting to shell out the cash to lug around this monstrosity to play games that they could also play on something else in their pocket, albeit with worse controls.

The streaming of PC games is nice, but I would much prefer them to just release a small box I can hook up to my TV and control with a 360 controller.

Then think of it like the Wii U. Use it at home and when someone wants to watch the television use the built in screen.

EVOL 100%

The thing is, even if it sells like shit, you know software support won't drop because Android itself will remain popular. It's really a risk-free investment for Android enthusiasts.

Edit: And it streams from PC. Gamechanger.

Okay, shit, I'm sold.

I'll buy it for $50.

Nilaul

God. Everything in that video seems dated, like they dug up a video from ten years ago. It's like with a nicer sleeker design they really could have had something cool. At the moment it looks horrible!

Its not a video its realtime rendered on the console apparently.

This is what happens when you let PC hardware manufacturers actually design consumer electronics.

You get a monstrosity like this.

This is one of the ugliest pieces of consumer electronics I've ever seen.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Its not a video its realtime rendered on the console apparently.
Oh, sorry I just meant the styling of the video - how it bolted together like a glossy plastic robot. Tech-wise, I'm sure it's incredible.

Shoulda hired some designers.

Top Bottom