• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia just announced a handheld - releasing Q2 2013

Grayman

This is not the way its meant to be played.

Maybe they won't go all in on it and it will be a small project like razors thing they did that everyone including me forgot about. If it was really cheap it would be cool but I don't think Nvidia has a chance at getting into the peripheral for the interconnected living room market slice.

zroid

Banned
This is what happens when you let PC hardware manufacturers actually design consumer electronics.

You get a monstrosity like this.

This is one of the ugliest pieces of consumer electronics I've ever seen.

The Xbox comparisons are apt

xbox.jpg

SmithnCo

Yeah, I dunno about this. I'd rather have a small device and a PC doing what they're best at instead of a compromise. The streaming seems cool but lag would kill it.

This is what happens when you let PC hardware manufacturers actually design consumer electronics.

You get a monstrosity like this.

This is one of the ugliest pieces of consumer electronics I've ever seen.

Kind of reminds me of the original Xbox in that regard.

Nilaul

Dead Trigger 2.

Is probably is probably a multiplatform game, probably also gonna come out for IOS and older Andriods. Nothing yet to judge graphic quality. Much like Dead Trigger 1, a multiplatform game.

This is like just before the fall of Rome when senators got into massive competitions about lavish and useless buildings.

This videogame crash is going to be like our financial crash - harder to see at first but broader, deeper, more fundamental.

They could likely make more money by going into game development itself. But everybody is panicking about Apple's dominance I guess.

Prophane33

Could be cool. Too bad it looks like something released in 2002. It's just begging to have a Mountain Dew sticker slapped on the back of it.

You know, that guy namedropped Ouya as a reciever, but why would you want one if you had this device? It appears to literally do everything Ouya does except better and with even more options.

Takao

Banned
The hardware design on this thing is about as beautiful as the Panasonic Jungle, which is to say it's ugly as sin lol.

Bagu

Its worthless for PC gaming unless all you do is play console port PC games.

If Nvidia hadn't been a world class douchebag to the console manufacturers maybe they would be still getting a cut of the industry pie and not have to try something stupid like this.

All you had to do was not be a douche nvidia
Well this sounds like a fun story. Mind telling us?

Price ? Storage ?

It will probably be $300+ and it uses micro SD.

This is like just before the fall of Rome when senators got into massive competitions about lavish and useless buildings.

This videogame crash is going to be like our financial crash - harder to see at first but broader, deeper, more fundamental.

They could likely make more money by going into game development itself. But everybody is panicking about Apple's dominance I guess.

Mobile and PC gaming (or their convergence) aren't going to crash the industry.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
So, if I get GFE, a GTX 680, a Shield, and an Ouya, I can do what I can already do with the $30 $5 HDMI cable already connected from my TV to my PC.

Handheld steam games? Yay...I guess?

FTFY

Monoprice or amazon!

Miss your cigar =/

antonz

Well this sounds like a fun story. Mind telling us?

Nvidia with the original Xbox would not budge one bit on the price of the gpu over the consoles life keeping it the same price as the day it launched which in turn meant Microsoft had fewer cost saving options.

Nvidia had a slice of the pie and got greedy and lost in the end as now all 3 use ATI

RedSwirl

It'd be nice to see a definitive Android handheld with buttons, but I don't think it's gonna mean much until there's some kind of universal button-standard that every developer knows they can target.

I was thinking about this announcement a little bit more and I think I have it all figured out. Nvidia is super pissed that all next gen consoles will be going to AMD for the GPU needs and they felt left out so they wanted to make their own console to still be in the game. The problem is that they don't have to slightest idea on how to make a traditional console entirely on their own so they decided to go mobile. The Tegra 4 chip is of course theirs but everything else is most likely off the self, the OS is free, and games are supplied by the Android Market.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I predict lots of game journalist hullabaloo about how this is the future and it's going to kill traditional consoles and such.

Just like with Onlive.

And with a similar outcome.

Top Bottom