• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia's Maxwell perfect candidate for Bitcoin miners, bad times ahead for PC gamers?

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
This bubble is going to explode so hard.

I just hope it does before the high-end Maxwell cards arrive later this year. Nvidia managed an insane increase in performance/watt and they're still on 28nm. Can't wait to see what a 20nm 870 GTX can do :)

Naminator

Banned
Both amd and nvidia am cry when the litecoin bubble bursts and the market gets absolutely flooded with tens and tens of thousands of cheap second hand midrange gpus all at once

http://www.power4pc.be/webshop/graf...n_4gb_grafische_kaart_gv-r929d5-4gd-b-ga.html
my local pc store
I'm glad Belgium seems to be free of litecoin farming virmin

Will be a glorious day!

Everyone will be able to grab themselves a midrange PC for a low end price.

I'm wringing my hands and having a nice evil, diabolical laugh right now.

Sentenza

The more I read about it, the more I'm struggling to see this bitcoin-mining thing as anything but some sort of mass insanity.

Ty4on

It's because all of your entrepreneur gene pools left for the New World by now. :p

On a serious note, I really do wonder why that is the case.

Me too. Prices are normal in Norway and we have quite cheap electricity and need heating regardless in the winter. Maybe cultural differences to taking chances. Hardly anyone are self employed here.
Nobody ever mined Bitcoin with GPUs, they have dedicated chips for that which Litecoin and (I assume) Dogecoin will be getting soon enough.

Also Bitcoin as been having trouble since it's inception, every set-back it recovered from makes me think it's here to stay.
Lot's of people mined with GPUs. People even mined with CPUs before that! My 3570k does less than 30kH while my 7870 does 300 and better ones easily do 400.

Will be a glorious day!

Everyone will be able to grab themselves a midrange PC for a low end price.

I'm wringing my hands and having a nice evil, diabolical laugh right now.
Good_Good.gif

Idk if I'd even want a gpu tainted by a miner's greed :p

That's the thing about regular gpu buyers, they don't shit their gpus back out on the second hand market within 6 months, something people forget when they suggest amd and nvidia must be pleased with this coin craze (when in reality it's retailers and distributors making off like thieves, not amd or nvidia, just like with the hdd plant floodings)

Xclash

can't grow facial hair
What can you actually buy with cryptocurrencies besides drugs and other black market items

You can buy stuff from overstock.com and buy tickets for the Sacramento Kings

As for the thread itself, this is very promising for the high end nvidia cards if they are efficient just like the gtx 750 is here for bitcoin mining and for gaming.

Madao

i don't understand this topic. what is this about mining coins with graphics cards? how does this work?

so lost. wow.

Demigod Mac

i don't understand this topic. what is this about mining coins with graphics cards? how does this work?

so lost. wow.

GPU + CPU crunches numbers to solve highly complex math problems.
Everyone agrees the answers to math problems are worth X amount of real money.
Every participant holds a public ledger of all the math problem answers that were traded on the market.

kick51

Banned
People are literally buying money-making machines. There's just no way this can last.

it's just euphoria! It'll never ever go back up and they'll be left with their dicks in one hand and GPUs in the other! have you seen the price on gox lately? omg sell sell sell!

PPC is the true coin, all else is scam coin

arize chikkun

Orayn

so lost. wow.

Cryptocurrency is a type of digital money where new "coins" are generated not by a central authority choosing deciding to print more or control interest rates, but by people using computer hardware to solve complex mathematical problems, with video cards being particularly good at the type of number crunching involved. The power required to mine the same amount of coins increases as more are generated, so there's an ongoing need to get either faster video cards or computer hardware that's specifically designed to mine.

2San

Every participant holds a public ledger of all the math problem answers that were traded on the market.
While I think Bitcoin is nonesense, it is interesting the that the complex math problems are actually the encryption of the transactions.

prag16

Banned
Seriously though, the bubble has to burst eventually. I think getting promoted by Newegg is a sign that that time will be sooner rather than later.

Yep. That old Joe Kennedy Sr. story from the 1920s... when the shoeshine boy is giving out stock tips, it's time to get out of the market.

III-V

PCPer ran through some mining numbers for the new Maxwell (GTX 750Ti & GTX 750) GPUs and their performance is as good as the 770;

perflskjx.png

And the main criteria that makes the best candidate for mining;

perfpowerxdj4o.png

http://www.pcper.com/news/General-T...-Performance-Increases-Maxwell-and-GTX-750-Ti

As a PC gamer, I just had big gulp :( I hope and pray that the mining market crashes and crashes badly or the miners move onto some other ASICs.

"Our second build is based on the GTX 750 Ti. This time we instead opted for 6 x 750 Ti cards for a total of $900, which is still significantly lower than the $1200 for 4 270Xs. With 6 x 750 Ti cards, the estimated GPU power draw would only be 360W, just above half of the power draw of the 270X machine. Adding in the same 75W for additional system components the total estimated power draw works out to 435W, which allows us to purchase a cheaper power supply.

At a total cost of around $1300, this machine would have a payoff period of about 97 days at the current Dogecoin rates, at 1.8MH/s"

Ok, free compy after 97 days? how is that a bad thing?

Matriox

so lost. wow.

I feel like an old person when people talk about bitcoins.. Even after explaining them, why do these hold any value? Is it just a general consensus that each coin is worth so much or are some worth more than others? So the math equations that are done to resemble a bit coin, are they duplicatable?

Shambles

Good. Now all the miners can drive up the price of a GPU that was irrelevant for gaming in the first place and we can get decent prices on good price/performance cards.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I don't get how you can create money out of thin air though, is it like seti at home, where you're helping the computational power of something larger?

Mandoric

Banned
This is good. Best hashes/watt on a low-end part means enthusiast parts won't have an absurd premium anymore. OTOH AMD's low-end parts aren't affected and mean there's still a supply of cheap GPUs for entry-level gaming.

TheD

The Detective
Good_Good.gif

Idk if I'd even want a gpu tainted by a miner's greed :p

That's the thing about regular gpu buyers, they don't shit their gpus back out on the second hand market within 6 months, something people forget when they suggest amd and nvidia must be pleased with this coin craze (when in reality it's retailers and distributors making off like thieves, not amd or nvidia, just like with the hdd plant floodings)

You are missing the fact that the prices are going up because there is high demand for these GPUs, they are not getting the cards for free.
So even when these cards get sold second hand the GPU makers are not missing out on anything (other than doing their own price jacking) because these cards are being sold to people that would not have bought then (or at least that amount of them) otherwise.

BPoole

Ugh, I don't mean to offend anyone that is mine's bitcoins, but I seriously hope the whole things crumbles. I've been trying to buy a new GPU for months and given that I wanted to stick with AMD, I have no choice buy to get price gouged thanks to miners. I ordered an R9 290 a month and a half ago for $50 over the MSRP (best price I could find) and am stuck waiting for it to come back in stock.

Cday

Banned
Video cards are already inflated a ton. Was looking to upgrade recently, but in order to get a good enough bump over the card I got 3 years ago for $250 I'd have to spend $400. Fuck that. Probably will just stick with multiplats on PS4 for now.

Quasar

Increased demand for bit coin mining purposes causing the price to inflate.

I'm more annoyed by the retailers profiteering over all this. Its a shame card makers are not more hard nosed when it comes to doing something about retailers charging above the MSRP.

Haunted

The more I read about it, the more I'm struggling to see this bitcoin-mining thing as anything but some sort of mass insanity.
Seeing comparison numbers from Folding @ Home to this recent coin mining boom has been pretty depressing.

No one wants to cure cancer, but put the promise of a gold carrot in front of them and people climb over themselves to make this happen.

bah

emag

I don't get how you can create money out of thin air though, is it like seti at home, where you're helping the computational power of something larger?

Not really. Bitcoin et al. can be generated/mined/discovered by solving computationally difficult math problems. The internet connectivity is used to track ownership of "unlocked" Bitcoins. There's no greater goal of doing the math -- it's just to gain Bitcoins. It's kind of like grinding for achievements on your Xbox, except that the achievements are salable (and people are willing to pay "real money" for Bitcoin).

BTW, most money is "created out of thin air". That's the way modern economies and central banks work. Your bank account has value because we as a society have agreed that some bits on a computer can be converted into food, cars, and houses.

tipoo

Banned
Wowzers. Looks like although Nvidia still doesn't give a damn about integer performance even going into Maxwell, the design is just so damn power efficient that it doesn't even matter because the performance per watt has risen so high.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
One thing that this mining crap has guaranteed.

I'm not buying a second hand GPU until at least one GPU generation after the death of this ridiculous bubble/fad. Those things are likely to be been half (or fully) worked to death in a way no gamers card would be. (Except maybe in a Korean internet cafe) :p

Top Bottom