• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia's Maxwell perfect candidate for Bitcoin miners, bad times ahead for PC gamers?

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Not really. Bitcoin et al. can be generated/mined/discovered by solving computationally difficult math problems. The internet connectivity is used to track ownership of "unlocked" Bitcoins. There's no greater goal of doing the math -- it's just to gain Bitcoins. It's kind of like grinding for achievements on your Xbox, except that the achievements are salable (and people are willing to pay "real money" for Bitcoin).

BTW, most money is "created out of thin air". That's the way modern economies and central banks work. Your bank account has value because we as a society have agreed that some bits on a computer can be converted into food, cars, and houses.
Okay. I just figured that the computation crunching had to be benefitting someone, since the concept of currency is usually tied to it being worth your time or expertise given to someone else.

I refuse to believe dogecoin has achieved any actual value.

I think Dogecoin works great as a "joke" currency: "you made a cool gif - here's 500 doge!". The problem comes when everyone starts to think like that and then soon you realise there is no difference between a joke currency and a real one. You trade it to people for goods and services. They can then trade that in for other goods and services. It is a currency. Based on a meme.

Sentenza

Seeing comparison numbers from Folding @ Home to this recent coin mining boom has been pretty depressing.

No one wants to cure cancer, but put the promise of a gold carrot in front of them and people climb over themselves to make this happen.
Yeah, they essentially invented a system that turned all the unused computational power that could collectively be used for the greater good (i.e. Folding@home) in an additional massive waste of resources.

2San

Okay. I just figured that the computation crunching had to be benefitting someone, since the concept of currency is usually tied to it being worth your time or expertise given to someone else.
The actual number crunching that is done is on the encryption of the transactions. So the computation is necessary for transactions to be valid.

rPltYqf.gif

These guys need some crazy South Park critter voices. Heck, just have South Park do a parody.

"Our second build is based on the GTX 750 Ti. This time we instead opted for 6 x 750 Ti cards for a total of $900, which is still significantly lower than the $1200 for 4 270Xs. With 6 x 750 Ti cards, the estimated GPU power draw would only be 360W, just above half of the power draw of the 270X machine. Adding in the same 75W for additional system components the total estimated power draw works out to 435W, which allows us to purchase a cheaper power supply.

At a total cost of around $1300, this machine would have a payoff period of about 97 days at the current Dogecoin rates, at 1.8MH/s"

Ok, free compy after 97 days? how is that a bad thing?

The biggest thing that hurts is that by the miners buying up multiple of these cards, they are eating up a lot of the supply, thus driving prices up for those who want to use graphics cards for gaming. If you want an AMD card right now, be prepared to pay ~$200 premium over MSRP. The sad part is, is that at that price point they are no longer competitive with Nvidia. So yes, AMD is getting great amount of sales from the miners, but as a gamer AMD is just not cost effective.

Also, keep in mind that the 97 days are where your computer is on 100% of the time only doing mining. Be prepared for fairly high electric costs, and at the end, your parts are going to be very worn out than they would be normally. So yes, you can pay off your machine (assuming the market doesn't crash and you can sell your mined coins for good value), but at the end you're left with a machine that has been overworked by most of our standards. I would never buy a second hand mining card with the intention of using it for gaming. It will have a much shorter lifespan than a second hand card used only for gaming.

But I thought Amd > Nvidia when it comes to mining..

In terms of raw performance, yes. However, the big deal with Maxwell is it's performance per watt. This means that miners can get a lot more of these, use a lower wattage power supply and have much more leniency in terms of the cooling they need for them. It saves the miners a lot in other areas.

Also, one thing to keep in mind is that these aren't Crossfire / SLI setups they're running or anything like that. Miners can have many more GPU's than what they typically allow, and hell, they can have GPU's from both AMD and Nvidia in their machines. That was something I didn't realize at first. So if somebody wants to run 1 AMD 290x and 5 GTX 750 TI's, they can do that.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Looking forward to SLIing 3 Maxwell Titans for a grand total of $1200 when this market bursts.

SMOK3Y

Generous Member
GPU + CPU crunches numbers to solve highly complex math problems.
Everyone agrees the answers to math problems are worth X amount of real money.
Every participant holds a public ledger of all the math problem answers that were traded on the market.

this makes me lol.. pretty sad really..

Toski

I really wonder what AMD is going to do with Pirate Islands. Hopefully they focus on making GCN 2.0 superior to GCN 1.0 in everything but compute.

all I know is when the new 800 series is announced im buying a 4+ gig 870 card asap, seems the price will only just go UP over time. *grumbles @ R290s*

Ty4on

Prepare to get sadder. There's this wonderful metal which has tons of amazing applications and requires tons of resources and lives even to mine, but is primarily being hoarded or used as decoration to show off wealth.

We really need an official cryptocurrency thread so that I can stop making posts like these :p

Oxn

all I know is when the new 800 series is announced im buying a 4+ gig 870 card asap, seems the price will only just go UP over time. *grumbles @ R290s*

Are you saying that a better GPU does not automatically mean better for bitcoin mining?

If so, I better do the same.

M_A_C

I just build a new PC and I got everything but a videocard. I want an 290x, but no way I'm paying $200 over retail, and I don't want to get a 780 TI because I think the 800's should be here soon. Do we have any dates on the 800's yet?

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
I just build a new PC and I got everything but a videocard. I want an 290x, but no way I'm paying $200 over retail, and I don't want to get a 780 TI because I think the 800's should be here soon. Do we have any dates on the 800's yet?

It's expected late this year but we don't have any concrete dates yet.

artist

Banned
Not anytime soon.

cebri.one

Maxwell 20nm isn't coming 'till 2015 according to eurogamer. So, there are two options, either we wait until then to get the new 800s or NVIDIA just renames the current cards like the have done in the past and we will only get maxwell in the 900 series.

espher

I wanted to get into cryptocurrency mining but even with the 'relatively' fast payoff I just can't justify the initial investment right now.

Not to mention my gaming PC is getting old. :(

I haven't been off on another planet but I feel like I have. Anyway, my question is this:

Who is the dog that is used in the GIF? I keep seeing that picture everywhere.

Week beginning: 10/02/2014

Did not have a clue as to what a bitcoin was
And now wishes I didn't know

Did not have a clue who this dog was and why I was seeing it every where. Now I know.

It is so good to learn things...

Seanspeed

Banned
No self-respecting PC gamer would buy a GTX 750 anyway.
The 750Ti is a decent budget option that'll run games decently.

And really, the big story here is that Maxwell looks to be a very efficient architecture. Meaning that once we start seeing the higher end cards, they'll be even better for mining, as they'll have efficiency + more power.

And if the demand is really high for them, it drives prices up and leaves gamers with a short supply of cards. Its a pretty awful situation for PC gamers.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
yo what so this was the wrong thread and imma high-tail out of here at this point.

So dogecoins, huh?

Cerity

All the people waiting on the bubble to burst; you should be seeing an influx of amd cards when these cards drop. All this extra hardware is going to go somewhere. The lower end 7xxx's were being flushed when the r2xx's arrived, now that something with massive perf/watt is coming i'd be expecting high end 7xxx and some of the mid end r2xx being sold off.

I don't think it'd be an entire selloff but it'd still be a sizeable amount. There'll be a point in numbers where these 750's don't do as well overall due to their low hashrate. More hardware combined with ineffciency will add up.

Disgusting attitude by some people hoping that crypto mining crashes just because they can't get the GPU they want, wah wah me me me...

Yeah I'm pretty sad, I utilised my gaming PC hardware when I'm not using it and made nearly £1000 from £50 worth of electricity.

TK9zjDF.gif

AndreasWs

Neo Member

<tinfoil>What if all the computations actually are working on a problem that is unknown to us. Like brute forcing some governments systems</tinfoil>

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
All the people waiting on the bubble to burst; you should be seeing an influx of amd cards when these cards drop. All this extra hardware is going to go somewhere. The lower end 7xxx's were being flushed when the r2xx's arrived, now that something with massive perf/watt is coming i'd be expecting high end 7xxx and some of the mid end r2xx being sold off.

I don't think it'd be an entire selloff but it'd still be a sizeable amount. There'll be a point in numbers where these 750's don't do as well overall due to their low hashrate. More hardware combined with ineffciency will add up.

And none of those cards will be worth buying.

Only an idiot is going to buy an ex-mining card for gaming use, unless he's paying less than $20 for it.

Seanspeed

Banned
Disgusting attitude by some people hoping that crypto mining crashes just because they can't get the GPU they want, wah wah me me me...

Yeah I'm pretty sad, I utilised my gaming PC hardware when I'm not using it and made nearly £1000 from £50 worth of electricity.

TK9zjDF.gif
Of course you're not gonna feel bad. You're greedy and don't care that you're contributing to the shortage of GPU's and raised prices for people who just want to game. Cuz you got some money out of it.

Congrats.

Of course you're not gonna feel bad. You're greedy and don't care that you're contributing to the shortage of GPU's and raised prices for people who just want to game. Cuz you got some money out of it.

Congrats.

I'm greedy for using my crossfire 7850s I bought nearly 2 years ago?

Difference is I don't hope something will fail just so I can benefit from it.

Greedy that you don't care that you're hurting the GPU market for gamers just so you can make a buck off of it.

How am *I* hurting the GPU market for using GPUs I bought for gaming to mine when I am at work and asleep?

So I should stop mining and tell everyone else to because some gamers want to buy a graphics card?

Supply and demand, things are only worth what people will pay for them. If you don't want to pay $900 for a graphics card, don't. Don't begrudge people because they can afford to. Blame retailers for hiking up the price.

TK9zjDF.gif

I am gobsmacked that money can be made when you are using electric in the UK.

Hayabusi

It's really interesting that this doesn't effect prices in Europe at all. Why is that?! It can't be that no one over here is into mining..

Seanspeed

Banned
How am *I* hurting the GPU market for using GPUs I bought for gaming to mine when I am at work and asleep?

So I should stop mining and tell everyone else to because some gamers want to buy a graphics card?

Supply and demand, things are only worth what people will pay for them. If you don't want to pay $900 for a graphics card, don't. Don't begrudge people because they can afford to. Blame retailers for hiking up the price.
I'm not saying you're some super villain or some ultra greedy corporate head, just that your display of non-chalance towards gamers being shafted by this whole ordeal just because you made some money off of it *is* greed, pretty much by definition. You're benefitting at the expense of others.

Mine if you want to. Just be aware of what you're contributing to, at least.

Top Bottom