• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia's Maxwell perfect candidate for Bitcoin miners, bad times ahead for PC gamers?

hoserx

These posts about people being "greedy" are outrageous. You're upset that you'll have to pay more for your graphics card? Isn't that greedy too? You want to hold onto your money? More power to anyone to do whatever they want with their graphics cards, and if you don't like the price, don't buy one.

Cerity

And none of those cards will be worth buying.

Only an idiot is going to buy an ex-mining card for gaming use, unless he's paying less than $20 for it.

Really depends on the miner. Most will actually undervolt/underclock their cards to minimise costs and heat. Unless they're running crazy overclocks and don't mention how they were using them begin with, these ex mining cards are fine for gaming.

li bur

I don't really understand what bitcoin is and how does this work. Reading the wiki didn't really give me clear understanding about it. Any sites that can explain what bitcoin is for dummies?

kharma45

Of course you're not gonna feel bad. You're greedy and don't care that you're contributing to the shortage of GPU's and raised prices for people who just want to game. Cuz you got some money out of it.

Congrats.

Seeing as he's UK based he hasn't, prices are normal here.

I can't see why you're getting at him for this. GPUs aren't just for gaming, it's fair game if he's buying it to do something else.

Given that desktop PC hardware appears to be shrinking into a more niche market, any increased demand should be welcomed and met with increased production imo.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
Really depends on the miner. Most will actually undervolt/underclock their cards to minimise costs and heat. Unless they're running crazy overclocks and don't mention how they were using them begin with, these ex mining cards are fine for gaming.

As a buyer, I don't generally trust the seller and any statements they might make about undervolting etc.

There is zero chance of me buying any card that has been popular for crypto-currency mining second hand, full stop.

Most miners are running on cheap electricity, or shared bills, or inclusive bills w/rent etc., underclocking fo heat/power is not the norm for mining, maximising return is, which means most overclock.

Only a fool would buy one of these cards second hand now.

Evo_Nine

Banned
Don't worry all,

once the governments outlaw the use of bitcoins, the whole market will be dead and there will be a lot of oversupply of new cards out there on the market.

Cronox

Banned
Seeing comparison numbers from Folding @ Home to this recent coin mining boom has been pretty depressing.

No one wants to cure cancer, but put the promise of a gold carrot in front of them and people climb over themselves to make this happen.

bah

Actually, what's sad is that no cryptocurrency has linked it's process to folding @ home. They could be mining for coins while actually contributing instead of just doing nonsense math. Guess someone needs to start a foldingcoin currency or something.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Seeing comparison numbers from Folding @ Home to this recent coin mining boom has been pretty depressing.

No one wants to cure cancer, but put the promise of a gold carrot in front of them and people climb over themselves to make this happen.

bah

Solution: Foldecoin.

Cure Cancer. Much money. WOW.

Finalizer

I'm imagining some sort of abused animal shelter equivalent for miner cards.

Help find this poor, abused GPU a loving home to spend the last of its days ;_;

Cerity

As a buyer, I don't generally trust the seller and any statements they might make about undervolting etc.

There is zero chance of me buying any card that has been popular for crypto-currency mining second hand, full stop.

Most miners are running on cheap electricity, or shared bills, or inclusive bills w/rent etc., underclocking fo heat/power is not the norm for mining, maximising return is, which means most overclock.

Only a fool would buy one of these cards second hand now.

Most overclock? Squeezing the most out of your cards is insane to begin with considering you'll be running them 24/7. Any miner who does this does not intend to sell when they're done. If they do and don't mention it, they're scum, pure and simple.

Don't worry all,

once the governments outlaw the use of bitcoins, the whole market will be dead and there will be a lot of oversupply of new cards out there on the market.

Bitcoins were supposedly meant to be outlawed when the initial surge in popularity happened. And the one after that. And the one after that.

Given that desktop PC hardware appears to be shrinking into a more niche market, any increased demand should be welcomed and met with increased production imo.

The problem is that cryptocurrency is a joke pursued by deluded morons libertarians. The bubble is going to burst, probably within twelve months.

The problem is that cryptocurrency is a joke pursued by deluded morons libertarians. The bubble is going to burst, probably within twelve months.

wipetearswithmoney.gif

I'm sure people who have made thousands of dollars will care.

Funny how all the insults are coming from people who don't mine, u jelly that you missed the train?

Hari Seldon

I think this would be a good thing for PC gaming. The more people buying advanced graphics cards for any purpose means more development dollars into creating new advanced graphics cards. Sure one particular model might have prices skyrocket, but all the other models will benefit as well, plus drivers.

Morzak

Actually, what's sad is that no cryptocurrency has linked it's process to folding @ home. They could be mining for coins while actually contributing instead of just doing nonsense math. Guess someone needs to start a foldingcoin currency or something.

Uhm but the computation power is used to verify the transactions, not to find Coins. The coins are an incentive so users give their resources for maintaining the ledger. It also acts as an incentive to keep nodes honest and make it more profitable to contribute as an honest node to the system (although the setup makes it quite unlikely that attackers could manipulate the transaction history). So coins are just a reward, not the reason those computations are made.

How am *I* hurting the GPU market for using GPUs I bought for gaming to mine when I am at work and asleep?

So I should stop mining and tell everyone else to because some gamers want to buy a graphics card?

Supply and demand, things are only worth what people will pay for them. If you don't want to pay $900 for a graphics card, don't. Don't begrudge people because they can afford to. Blame retailers for hiking up the price.

You're like one of those people who would take pride in making money off a pyramid scheme or running an alternative medicine practise

you accuse the other poster of being selfish yet your attitude is entirely 'as long as I get mine'
Fact is you're burning electricity/wasting gpu resources that could be used for folding and for what? to take an extra share of the money in circulation for yourself (money someone else is losing down the line due to their own greed and bad coin investment/speculation)

I guess that's the only redeeming factor of this craze, for every greedy person making an easy counter productive buck, there will be a greedy person losing a bunch of money, as long as you only victimize eachother it's like a form of karma I suppose

I feel like an old person when people talk about bitcoins.. Even after explaining them, why do these hold any value? Is it just a general consensus that each coin is worth so much or are some worth more than others? So the math equations that are done to resemble a bit coin, are they duplicatable?

I've already posted this in another buttcoin thread, but let me say it again. Bitcoins are only valuable because some other people think it is. They are primarily used by three groups of people:

1. Criminals. Bitcoins are pseudo anonymous. The only way to get caught doing illegal activities with them is if an exchange rats you out because they are the only people that can connect a real name to a Bitcoin address. All transactions are public and tracable, but addresses are anonymous. Criminals, such as drug dealers, use Bitcoins to transfer money and sometimes sell their illegal items for Bitcoins so they can't be tracked.

2. Libertarians. Bitcoins represent a political ideology for them. Bitcoins are not regulated by a bank and not controlled by any government. Because libertarians hate everything that has to do with regulation, they love the idea of Bitcoins taking over the world. It's their way of saying FUCK THE GOVERNMENT. Of course, when something gets hacked, they'll be crying to the police (you know, that public tax-paid service) for help, which would be hilarious if the police didn't take this seriously.

3. Investors/speculators. Investors are speculating about Bitcoin's value to make more real money (as in USD) by buying low, selling high. You can't get into the party anymore, you are late. Do not start using bitcoins now because you're at very heavy risk of losing your money.

jonno394

I know about mining and have thought about dabbling, but I really can't be arsed. Making profits would be nice but i'm a lazy, lazy man.

As long as in 12 months i'll be able to upgrade my graphics card for a decent price.

Bitcoins are intrinsically valuable because they are a scarce resource that can be easily and instantly teleported from anyone to anyone else, without a middleman, and without having to trust anyone. The system cannot be cheated (or rather, cheating the system is so prohibitively expensive that it would be much less profitable to cheat than to play by the rules).

Mining has value in that it processes the transactions of the network and writes those transactions to the permanent transaction ledger. It isn't a waste of resources per se, but I agree that a different algorithm (like folding@home) could be more efficient in terms of using the computational power for multiple things at once.

Ty4on

I can't seriously believe that there is a Dogecoin,...

WHAT THE FUCK HAS HAPPENED TO THE WORLD HAHAHAH

Dogecoin is the forth most valuable cryptocurrency out there with a market cap of 60 million dollars. Not long ago it was just behind Bitcoin and Litecoin :p

You can buy stuff for Dogecoin and trade it directly for USD or EUR. There's the foundation where you can find out how you can donate your Dogecoins and I suppose this video explaining how it will get to the moon.
Edit: Forgot Oprah-Shibe...

Dogecoin is awesome because it shows that the value in a currency is solely what people put into it and the two people behind it are awesome.
I've already posted this in another buttcoin thread, but let me say it again. Bitcoins are only valuable because some other people think it is.
But gold and Dollars are valuable because God said so? :p
What I love most about cryptocurrencies is how much they teach us about "regular" currencies.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not saying you're some super villain or some ultra greedy corporate head, just that your display of non-chalance towards gamers being shafted by this whole ordeal just because you made some money off of it *is* greed, pretty much by definition. You're benefitting at the expense of others.

Mine if you want to. Just be aware of what you're contributing to, at least.

Welcome to life.

Ty4on

Just a point of possible interest:

I don't think the 750 Ti can be SLI linked.

You can mine with way over four cards in one computer and with both Nvidia and AMD at the same time. They're not playing games on them ;)
2f8e7e0323a947a8dcfda6e6274f6920.jpg

Note the plug in the VGA connector to fool the card into thinking it is connected to a monitor. Miners (usually ASIC for Bitcoins) can also come in USB form.

People glossing over the fact that this is actually GREAT for gamers.

Why? Because AMD and Nvidia are making more money off of additional sales. Additional sales means additional revenue that can be put into R&D, additional R&D means better graphics/performance/etc for everyone.

Why? Because AMD and Nvidia are making more money off of additional sales. Additional sales means additional revenue that can be put into R&D, additional R&D means better graphics/performance/etc for everyone.

This, especially considering how dire things have been for AMD lately.

Durante

Yeah, I really don't see much of an issue here for PC gamers.

It's funny to see GPU prices on some models higher in the US than EU for once though!

But gold and Dollars are valuable because God said so? :p
What I love most about cryptocurrencies is how much they teach us about "regular" currencies.

Gold is valuable for the same reason as buttcoins: because people think it is. But gold also has value of its own because it can be used to make jewelry that people think looks good. It is also used in electronics.

Dollars are valuable because the government says they are the legal method of payment, which in turn makes everyone accept it as a method of payment. And you probably know why we need a form of money that everyone can accept having value.

Bitcoins are valuable for a certain group of people because it represents a political stance for libertarians and it's helpful for criminals to do illegal activities with. Your average joe has no reason to use bitcoins, and it is too difficult for them to use anyway.

You're benefitting at the expense of others.
Welcome to libertarianism. "Fuck you, got mine" is the official motto.

Ty4on

But is the graphics processor who did the mining job? It is not a core processor raw power thing?
GPU has a processing core, but it is specialized for graphics. I'm no expert on HW, but AFAIK the CPU some general processing cores while the GPU has tons of small cores for parallel processing. The R9 290X for example has 2816 cores and this is why we see super GPUs (just add more stuff) while on the CPU side more cores doesn't do much at the moment for gaming.
Okay I need to lay off the Bitcoin threads. This shit is just mangling my brain.
I just mine with my sole card so I don't really understand how they do it, but they are hilarious machines. Hopefully once this calms down scrypt mining will be a secondary thing you do with your GPU to make a bit of money and secure the network when it otherwise wouldn't be doing anything.
Gold is valuable for the same reason as buttcoins: because people think it is. But gold also has value of its own because it can be used to make jewelry that people think looks good. It is also used in electronics.

Dollars are valuable because the government says they are the legal method of payment, which in turn makes everyone accept it as a method of payment. And you probably know why we need a form of money that everyone can accept having value.

Bitcoins are valuable for a certain group of people because it represents a political stance for libertarians and it's helpful for criminals to do illegal activities with. Your average joe has no reason to use bitcoins, and it is too difficult for them to use anyway.
Bitcoins are valuable because the foundation is really strong. It is a recipy to make a digital currency without a central authority. That could be huge in countries without a stable currency or government.
Gold's value on its own is far lower than the value it has today though and its use to store money means we're making big, dirty gold mines in third world countries and preventing the metal from being more widespread in applications that benefit from it.

Bitcoin also doesn't have to be "fuck you, got mine". There is a lot of info on how to secure your wallet and make backups like paper wallets and there's nothing stopping trusted banks from storing them.

padlock

The more I read about it, the more I'm struggling to see this bitcoin-mining thing as anything but some sort of mass insanity.

Absolutely. Also, it's nothing new. History is full of examples like this. If you aren't familiar with it, you should read up on tulip mania

Tulipomania.gif

The people who were in (and out) early will have made some money. Those hoping on the bandwagon now will lose instead.

Ty4on

Edit: ^^^^^^ Bitcoin has had quite a lot of bubbles that have bursted. This isn't the 17th century where things move at a snails pace :p

If there was an OT you might never have to see posts like these!

You'd at the very least have somewhere to link people to :p

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward

And AMD and nVidia should really, eventually, come around to increasing supply to meet demand.

And if more graphics cards are sold overall, that should if anything help bring prices down a bit as r&d costs etc. get spread over more units.

AMD and nVidia should be working to meet demand better though.

GoodlifeX

I wish I could go back in time and tell myself that there is a thing called Dogecoin and it's driving up graphics card prices.

Ty4on

And AMD and nVidia should really, eventually, come around to increasing supply to meet demand.

And if more graphics cards are sold overall, that should if anything help bring prices down a bit as r&d costs etc. get spread over more units.

AMD and nVidia should be working to meet demand better though.

They're not making the cards. I don't fully know supply chain, but TSMC make the cores, various RAM producers like Hynix make the RAM and the board partners like Asus/MSI/Sapphire make the cards. AMD/Nvidia design the cores and reference designs and validate cards from board partners.

Top Bottom