• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NX Gamer - Top 5 Best Graphics in Games 2015

sujay

I love Until Dawn but it literally only has nice looking faces. the rest doesn't stand out from anything else on this gen.

after playing the game i was surprised more people weren't talking about the visuals, probably some of the best i've seen all year. some of my favorite shots i took during my playthrough:

http://imgur.com/a/KtUgF

WrBxeyZ.jpg
6NpWjgn.jpg
cDXjXaQ.jpg
LQIwCCH.jpg

I think he's judging them based on consoles and middling PC.

Obviously Witcher 3 on a $1100 PC would crush the list, but that doesn't really fit the spirit, at least in my opinion. And plus it's all an opinion anyway, maybe Witcher's world didn't appeal to him.

What exactly is the spirit of "the best graphics in games" beyond the best graphics in games?

Witcher 3 deserves to be on that list over Tomb Raider (A game I thought was fantastic and loved) and Arkham Knight.

Arkham's design really didn't do it for me and I thought the graphics were stellar but not above the Witcher's.

I was surprise UD look as good as it does .
Started as a PS3 move game , then change engine in development etc etc .
But they really nail the gfx where it counts and the atmosphere .

Some would argue that since there are fewer pixels being rendered, the results aren't as impressive as if a 1920x1080 backbuffer were used.

Further, plenty of people dislike the use of non-16:9 aspect ratios in current games, and given the lack of a directed camera during gameplay this isn't all that unreasonable.

Also, TO1886 actually does feature scaling artifacts. Although a 1920x800 buffer is mapped to a 1920x800 region on-screen, it goes through a distortion filter. So, for instance, stairstep aliases have different sizes (I thought I had a clearer copy of that image but I can't seem to find it, ugh).
This doesn't really matter in a game with such soft resolve, though. If it were Ridge Racer 7, then it might be a problem.
I wonder if this is because a lens barrel distortion pp.

Clockwork

Well I am glad that my thoughts expressed in this thread about The Order have been confirmed by the developer.

*high five*

RexNovis

Banned
No, when I made that comment it was not in the context of black bars or fill rate - I was talking about the cost of AA solutions in relation to each other.

Our guys refined the AA even further in the later phases of development (part of the reason why later builds look better than the old ones we showed, and run much more efficiently) - at the end, as I was attempting to explain, the black bars afford a minimal amount of performance boost, mostly related to fill rate intensive moments.

Without the black bars the game would have had basically the same IQ and performed equally well, I can assure you. :)

Thanks for chiming in and clarifying things. Just wanted to say that I think your engine is incredible. Hands down the most impressive real time rendering tech I have ever seen. There were often times throughout the game where I could not believe what I was seeing was being rendered in real time. Regardless of what others here have said, I'm glad you lot are getting props for your achievements in graphical rendering. Absolutely well deserved and IMO criminally underrated by most. Really looking forward to seeing more of the engine in the future.

No, when I made that comment it was not in the context of black bars or fill rate - I was talking about the cost of AA solutions in relation to each other.

Our guys refined the AA even further in the later phases of development (part of the reason why later builds look better than the old ones we showed, and run much more efficiently) - at the end, as I was attempting to explain, the black bars afford a minimal amount of performance boost, mostly related to fill rate intensive moments.

Without the black bars the game would have had basically the same IQ and performed equally well, I can assure you. :)
The amount of people bookmarking this post for future use...

OsirisBlack

Banned
The decision on the aspect ratio for The Order was made long before the PS4 specs were even defined - it was made most definitely for artistic reasons (it is clear some people have an issue with that decision, and I certainly respect that, all I am stating is that it was deliberate to achieve a specific visual style).

Are there performance benefits to it? Of course - fewer pixels need to be rendered! The benefit, however, is relatively small because the biggest offenders when it comes to taxing the GPU are not typically related to fill rate (not in our case, at least). In the PS3 days, which was very fill rate bound, the benefit of the black bars would have been much bigger, with the PS4 not as much.

I would say that a version of TO without the black bars would have been pretty much indistinguishable from the version shipped, as far as performance/image quality are concerned (different story artistically, of course :) ). A few tweaks here and there with certain dynamic effects would have been all the adjustment needed.

I believe it, seen a few things lately that are absolutely amazing cannot wait to see what you guys are working on. Just don't forget to give us a conclusion to Galahads story.

On topic really cannot argue with the list at all. The orders attention to detail and textures are a cut above all of the rest.

TheOrder_1886_20151031124105.png

TheOrder_1886_20151031122852.png

TheOrder_1886_20151031125419.png

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I believe it, seen a few things lately that are absolutely amazing cannot wait to see what you guys are working on. Just don't forget to give us a conclusion to Galahads story.

On topic really cannot argue with the list at all. The orders attention to detail and textures are a cut above all of the rest.

TheOrder_1886_20151031122852.png

A lot has been said about the excellent materials rendering in the game but I still think that the muzzle flash effects are the best I've ever seen. Really love the billowing smoke and sparks.

OsirisBlack

Banned
A lot has been said about the excellent materials rendering in the game but I still think that the muzzle flash effects are the best I've ever seen. Really love the billowing smoke and sparks.

Agreed, amazed at the subtle things the explosion by the hammer on pistols which is different depending on the gun and the concussive wave from explosions are visually stunning.

Andrea Pessino

Ready At Dawn Game Director
Thanks for chiming in and clarifying things. Just wanted to say that I think your engine is incredible. Hands down the most impressive real time rendering tech I have ever seen. There were often times throughout the game where I could not believe what I was seeing was being rendered in real time. Regardless of what others here have said, I'm glad you lot are getting props for your achievements in graphical rendering. Absolutely well deserved and IMO criminally underrated by most. Really looking forward to seeing more of the engine in the future.

Thank you! Much appreciated. :)

It's not even a contest in 2016, nothing will top Naughty Dog, you are settling yourself for disappointment if you think Uncharted 4 is not gonna blow everything out of water graphically

Nothing will come close its Naughty Dog we are talking here.

gtg5o75.png

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
The Order is the only game that has flawed me visually this year so I'm definitely in agreement.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
It's not even a contest in 2016, nothing will top Naughty Dog, you are settling yourself for disappointment if you think Uncharted 4 is not gonna blow everything out of water graphically

Nothing will come close its Naughty Dog we are talking here.
You're fooling yourself if you think any game won't. Especially considering games like Star Citizen are coming out, which let's be honest already look better in the unfinished state aside from the character models and animations which are going still in development.

My award for most unnecessarily high-res texture goes to Hermes' coin in God of War III.

Left is the original cutscene camera. Right, max zoom using photomode.

Haha! Thats too funny.

Next year is going to be very competitive, definitely a blood bath of awesomeness. U4 for its animation and physics, GT for its lighting (probably), Horizon for sheer open world density, Quantum Break for its cohesive style, and Mirrors Edge 2 PC simply going by ME 1 on PC.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Tomb Raider wins against Batman? I mean, the snow is pretty, but I guess that's it
Tomb Raider has industry leading facial animation from what i've seen. Truth be told I'd say it has the best facial animation out of any game on that list.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
I must be the only person that really doesn't find Battlefront all that impressive, on consoles at least. The environments look good, but character models arent anything to write home about. It also uses a lot of low res effects that look jarring as hell.

Endo Punk

So the least ambitious and most run of mill designed game has the "best" graphics? umm congrats.

Regarding the black borders for the sake of argument say the game would have kept the performance and visuals if it didn't use letterbox, but then, why use it the first place? Is it because RAD desperately wanted the admiration of Hollywood? That phase of the industry died last gen when it realised you can tell stories that take advantage of the gaming medium without going overboard with the cinematic, please put more thought in your videogame next time.

I look forward to what RAD does after their fling with VR.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
So the least ambitious and most run of mill designed game has the "best" graphics? umm congrats.

Yes, that's the entire point of the thread and the first point in the video we are discussing.

Endo Punk

Yes, that's the entire point of the thread and the first point in the video we are discussing.

Well good then. Ambition should go a long way when viewing graphics, otherwise you might as well give the award to a pinball game or pool every year for showing photo realistic balls.

Ive never played a game so confined and hand hold-y in my life. The graphics are a given.

RexNovis

Banned

This is literally a thread about rendering tech so yes obviously that would be what they are looking at and what we are discussing. Do us all a favor and take your childish crusade elsewhere.

Until Dawn runs on the Killzone Shadowfall engine which is still one of the best looking games this generation.

So it's no surprise the next game using the engine and everything that's been evolved in it looks amazing.

Top Bottom