• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NX Gamer - Top 5 Best Graphics in Games 2015

QGPilo5.png

giphy.gif

Endo Punk

This is literally a thread about rendering tech so yes obviously that would be what they are looking at and what we are discussing. Do us all a favor and take your childish crusade elsewhere.

I'm not the one name calling buddy. Don't take my criticism towards the game as an attack on you.

You're fooling yourself if you think any game won't. Especially considering games like Star Citizen are coming out, which let's be honest already look better in the unfinished state aside from the character models and animations which are going still in development.

Just don't see SC beating UC in animation .(or any of the other big dogs like AC for eg )
Everything else they should be doing better .

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I'm not the one name calling buddy. Don't take my criticism towards the game as an attack on you.

Your criticism of the game is completely irrelevant to the topic, it seems you just want to derail the thread on purpose.

viHuGi

Banned
You're fooling yourself if you think any game won't. Especially considering games like Star Citizen are coming out, which let's be honest already look better in the unfinished state aside from the character models and animations which are going still in development.

LOL that game is coming when? 2016? Ah

Endo Punk

Your criticism of the game is completely irrelevant to the topic, it seems you just want to derail the thread on purpose.

I enjoy nx gamers work and was just pitching in with my opinion on the matter like one would in a open thread. Topic is about the games, I mentioned the game.

I think Witcher 3 looks bloody great even on PS4. MGSV is none too shabby either.

That said, can't really argue with the inclusion of any of these games so I guess we can all agree this was a great year for graphics.

Hahahaha! Who am I kidding? Of course we can't agree!

nib95

Banned
So the least ambitious and most run of mill designed game has the "best" graphics? umm congrats.

Least ambitious in what respect? Gameplay? Because it's certainly not the least ambitious in terms of graphics tech, which is the entire point of this thread.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I enjoy nx gamers work and was just pitching in with my opinion on the matter like one would in a open thread. Topic is about the games, I mentioned the game.

The opinion that you pitched in with has nothing to do with what we are discussing.

Endo Punk

Least ambitious in what respect? Gameplay? Because it's certainly not the least ambitious in terms of graphics tech, which is the entire point of this thread.

Least ambitious as in when you play the game. Everything about it is meant to be in a service to the graphics and nothing else.

Until Dawn runs on the Killzone Shadowfall engine which is still one of the best looking games this generation.

So it's no surprise the next game using the engine and everything that's been evolved in it looks amazing.
is horizon running on that engine too? Or a new one?
Least ambitious as in when you play the game. Everything about it is meant to be in a service to the graphics and nothing else.
the graphics of that game are among the best of the best these days though, so what are you getting at?

They definitely should have a mention to halo 5 cutscenes, it's surreal how great they look. As much as I think moving the gameplay to 60fps was the right call, they are so good that part of me wishes they went for 30fps and eye candy on Halo 5.

Endo Punk

The opinion that you pitched in with has nothing to do with what we are discussing.

And I didn't quote anyone to further the ongoing discussion. Ignore the message if it bothers you. Kind of silly to expect everyone coming into a best graphics thread to take part on the discussion some members are having. And now you started another discussion about me not taking part in your discussion.

Conduit

Banned
They definitely should have a mention to halo 5 cutscenes, it's surreal how great they look. As much as I think moving the gameplay to 60fps was the right call, they are so good that part of me wishes they went for 30fps and eye candy on Halo 5.

He did ( at the beginning )

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Just don't see SC beating UC in animation .(or any of the other big dogs like AC for eg )
Everything else they should be doing better .
It depends. In terms of character animation Trico, based of what we've seen of it so far is phenomenal. FFXV should also give it a run for it's money because of the way the combat works.

LOL that game is coming when? 2016? Ah
Part of it yes. You know several builds are already playable right?

Markitron

Kind of silly to expect everyone coming into a best graphics thread to take part on the discussion some members are having

It's funny to expect that, in a thread about graphics, people actually talk about graphics?

And now you started another discussion about me not taking part in your discussion.

A mistake I won't make again.

I don't think they have said. A modified version would be my guess.
Probably. The game's still in the early stages of development, but would I be considered crazy if I said killzone4/until dawn look better than it?
And I didn't quote anyone to further the ongoing discussion. Ignore the message if it bothers you. Kind of silly to expect everyone coming into a best graphics thread to take part on the discussion some members are having. And now you started another discussion about me not taking part in your discussion.
you have a point that you can be ignored, but if you make a post, anyone and everyone can read it and quote it to their forum posting routine and if their response is that your post was instigative, it's on you to respond and explain otherwise.

I'm not trying to start a problem with you. I'm just saying this time last yea (or whenever sony announced their first 2015 Ps4 sales) is basically when I had a legacy on neogaf

Markitron

Probably. The game's still in the early stages of development, but would I be considered crazy if I said killzone4/until dawn look better than it?

Well it's an open world game, there has to be a trade-off somewhere. It also has a year to go, I'm sure there will be improvements as well.

I think it will end up looking better than both of them, openworld or not.

nib95

Banned

You're spouting nonsense assumptions that have no factual basis, in a thread that isn't even about the thing you're complaining about.

You finding the gameplay dull does not automatically mean the gameplay was there only to serve the graphics. Quite the contrary, I'd imagine they focused so much on the graphics to aid the overall level of realism, gameplay and narrative context.

Whilst I agree that most of the game is very linear and quite compact in design, there are still several much larger arenas in the game that look just as good, and do not drop a single frame, which indicates that the engine can handle greater scope without major graphical sacrifice. I think a bigger consideration or cost was likely the sheer amount of time it takes to produce the art, textures etc to the level of consistency displayed throughout the rest of the game, but instead for larger environments.

RexNovis

Banned

No you're just the one coming into a thread discussing video game graphics with completely irrelevant criticisms about gameplay. Why? Any time The Order comes up as a topic of discussion in any thread you pop in and inform everyone of how it is the worst game you've ever played.

You seem to have some incessant need to shit on this game at every conceivable opportunity in any thread where it happens to be a topic of discussion and since you can't possibly say anything negative about the game in regards to how it relates to the actual topic of this thread you instead resort to ranting about irrelevant crap that has nothing to do with the topic.

If you can't bring yourself to acknowledge anything positive about the game, fine. But don't expect everyone else to tolerate your off topic bullshit in a thread recognizing the game and the team behind it for their ambitions and accomplishments in the field of realtime graphics rendering. So, yes, your ceaseless compulsion to trash the game and the team behind it comes off as especially childish in a thread that is recognizing them for their hard work and has absolutely nothing to do with your perniciously specious criticisms.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
I totally forget about TLG but yeah animation wise it is very impressive.
It's not very surprising either because the Ueda entered the industry as an animator. His games have always had pretty next level character animation imho.

Markitron

It's not very surprising either because the Ueda entered the industry as an animator. His games have always had pretty next level character animation imho.

I watched NX gamers analysis of the E3 vid, and he pointed out so many detailed little touches that I missed. It makes me laugh when people say it looks like a PS3 game.

this is true, but so is infamous second son, witcher 3 & batman 4, one of which made it to this list and the other, lots of people claiming should've.

They aren't running on the same engine as KZ/UD though, comparisons are much more difficult.

Endo Punk

Apparently I need to say something positive in order to justify criticism. I like the moustaches, they were really cool. Now with that out the way, Ive always correlated graphics with how it serves the game when you are going through it. And yes this game is void of any ambition especially compared to all the games listed and mentioned. Each one of those titles like Metal Gear Solid V(another one I dislike) impresses me more visually than The Order. Can't handle the opinion? move on.

RexNovis

Banned
I totally forget about TLG but yeah animation wise it is very impressive.

The animations are fantastic from what we've sen but something is off about the feathers. I don't know if its just compression artifacts or what but all the footage I've seen seems like the feathers animate slower than they should given the movement in the skeletal frame. Almost like they lag a second behind or something. It really bothers me for whatever reason.

Raylan

Banned
Apparently I need to say something positive in order to justify criticism. I like the moustaches, they were really cool. Now with that out the way, Ive always correlated graphics with how it serves the game when you are going through it. And yes this game is void of any ambition especially compared to all the games listed and mentioned. Each one of those titles like Metal Gear Solid V(another one I dislike) impresses me more visually than The Order. Can't handle the opinion? move on.
I'm not sure if you're just trolling now, or if you just can't take the L here in this thread.

Anno

Maybe I'm just tired of these Best Graphics - Technical categories, but these all seem really bland to me outside of maybe Tomb Raider and a map or two in Battlefront. 1886 especially is just a total yawn.

I watched NX gamers analysis of the E3 vid, and he pointed out so many detailed little touches that I missed. It makes me laugh when people say it looks like a PS3 game.

A nice touch hear is that you can see Trico look around to make sure that the boy is on him before he finally runs to make a leap to another platform

9N276Xo.gif

pooptest

Apparently I need to say something positive in order to justify criticism. I like the moustaches, they were really cool. Now with that out the way, Ive always correlated graphics with how it serves the game when you are going through it. And yes this game is void of any ambition especially compared to all the games listed. Each one of those titles like Metal Gear Solid V(another one I dislike) impresses me more visually than The Order. Can't handle the opinion? move on.

I like my popcorn buttered, thanks.

Anyway, TO was one of the most technically impressive and ambitious games I've seen. The upside to the game is it worked out for them and it's a beautiful game. Who cares how the gameplay is in a thread praising its graphics. Yes, the gameplay wasn't for everyone. We've heard this for almost a year now, we can move on.

As earlier mentioned, the team did an amazing job with this game, technically. Props to them and for the CTO dropping by with further explanation about the game's graphics.

I think Battlefront looks better than The Order.
But NX hasn't even been formally announced yet 😕

(But seriously, the website is going to have a branding confusion problem soon of Nintendo sticks with NX as the name of its next console.)
Well thank god Nintendo isn't actually calling it the NX then.

They aren't running on the same engine as KZ/UD though, comparisons are much more difficult.
right, but you were telling me how horizon may not look as good because of it being open world - I gave examples of games that heralded as having really good graphics despite being open world. Horizon still looks great nonetheless, so perhaps what you meant was it's just showing perhaps the limitations/full potential of that specific engine?

Markitron

perhaps what you meant was it's just showing perhaps the limitations/full potential of that specific engine?

Yes that's what I was referring to.

Obviously games can look incredible whether they are open-world or not. IMO Batman is up there with the best looking 3rd person games, even if you were to just walk around at street level. AC Unity as well, if it didn't run at about 5 fps.

Yes that's what I was referring to.

Obviously games can look incredible whether they are open-world or not. IMO Batman is up there with the best looking 3rd person games, even if you were to just walk around at street level. AC Unity as well, if it didn't run at about 5 fps.
gotcha. Well. The way the damn game is titled, horizon: zero dawn, makes it kinda obvious that they wanna set this up to turn into a franchise.

RexNovis

Banned
Apparently I need to say something positive in order to justify criticism. I like the moustaches, they were really cool. Now with that out the way, Ive always correlated graphics with how it serves the game when you are going through it. And yes this game is void of any ambition especially compared to all the games listed. Each one of those titles like Metal Gear Solid V(another one I dislike) impresses me more visually than The Order.

You came into a thread discussing graphics and ranted about gameplay. Yep clearly the only reason people objected to your post was because it was negative and not because it was irrelevant. Regardless of your personal feelings on the matter graphics ≠ gameplay. This thread is about the former not the latter. If you have nothing to say about the actual topic being discussed in this thread then go post in one of the countless other threads about the topic you do want to rant about.

Can't handle the opinion? move on.

Says the person who came into a thread about graphics to explain that a game you don't like doesn't deserve recognition for its graphical achievements because you hate its gameplay. Yea ok. Maybe you should take your own advice.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
right, but you were telling me how horizon may not look as good because of it being open world - I gave examples of games that heralded as having really good graphics despite being open world. Horizon still looks great nonetheless, so perhaps what you meant was it's just showing perhaps the limitations/full potential of that specific engine?

I imagine Guerrilla is going to adapt as much as they can from the engine into an open world setting but not everything will make the transition since there is other simulation going on like weather and time of day on a large scale. I'm not worried though, GG always delivers on a technical level. I still think Shadow Fall is one of the best looking games on the platform. I do hope the consistent texture quality carries over into Horizon. Both SF and UD have very pleasing textures, for reasons I can't quite place.

diamount

Banned
Pointless list really, what would be better if they were divided into categories. But I guess a list isn't good if it's over 20 titles.

RexNovis

Banned
I imagine Guerrilla is going to adapt as much as they can from the engine into an open world setting but not everything will make the transition since there is other simulation going on like weather and time of day on a large scale. I'm not worried though, GG always delivers on a technical level. I still think Shadow Fall is one of the best looking games on the platform. I do hope the consistent texture quality carries over into Horizon. Both SF and UD have very pleasing textures, for reasons I can't quite place.

The faces in Shadowfall looked creepy to me.

Kind of waxy and lifeless. It also didnt help that their facial animations left a lot to be desired. The facial rendering and animations they showed for Alloy (sp?) were already a massive improvement though. I really think Zero Dawn might look even better given that Shadowfall was originally developed with the 4gb system ram limit in mind. I'd imagine they can do a lot more with a game built from the ground up to utilize the full 8gb available.

Endo Punk

You came into a thread discussing graphics and ranted about gameplay. Yep clearly the only reason people objected to your post was because it was negative and not because it was irrelevant. Regardless of your personal feelings on the matter graphics ≠ gameplay. This thread is about the former not the latter. If you have nothing to say about the actual topic being discussed in this thread then go post in one of the countless other threads about the topic you do want to rant about.

Says the person who came into a thread about graphics to explain that a game you don't like doesn't deserve recognition for its graphical achievements because you hate its gameplay. Yea ok. Maybe you should take your own advice.

I'll simplify before I move on. I am not impressed with the graphics of The Order. MGSV, ROTR, Arkham Knight, Battlefront look better to me. It has nothing to do with my dislike of the game or gameplay, the games I listed I also dislike.

Top Bottom