• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NX will launch in March 2017 globally, won't be at E3 (focusing on Zelda instead)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Exodust

Banned
I just realized that Zeruda being on Wii U and NX might mean the NX may not be much of a graphical upgrade. Which is honestly disheartening.

Malus

I just realized that Zeruda being on Wii U and NX might mean the NX may not be much of a graphical upgrade. Which is honestly disheartening.

I really never expected it to get much more than a resolution bump. Hopefully the art style can carry it.

That is alot to assume. The NX version has likely been in parallel development for over a year + at this point.

This isn't a Wii situation where the hardware is only 50% uplocked from the previous generation.

daTRUballin

So when are they going to reveal the console's real name then? NX is just a codename, right? I was hoping they'd announce the real name and show the console at E3, but since that's not happening, when can we expect them to show something?

So when are they going to reveal the console's real name then? NX is just a codename, right? I was hoping they'd announce the real name and show the console at E3, but since that's not happening, when can we expect them to show something?

At some later showcase event just like Sony did for the ps4. All they have said is that this event will be in 2016.

Likely in the fall before TGS so NX stuff can be shown

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
I am expecting more information on NX, primarily when and how it will be unveiled, to be made available prior to Nintendo's 76th Annual General Meeting of Shareholders scheduled to be held on June 29, 2016.

The unveil itself could perhaps happen in August or September. Or they will wait for gamescom and Tokyo Game Show to be over so they don't have to face competition from that.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
That is alot to assume. The NX version has likely been in parallel development for over a year + at this point.

This isn't a Wii situation where the hardware is only 50% uplocked from the previous generation.

I think he's thinking of cross-gen titles in general, not just TP. You'll probably be able to tell at the end of the day that it was a game developed for last gen hardware.

I think he's thinking of cross-gen titles, not just TP. You'll probably be able to tell at the end of the day that it was a game developed for last gen hardware.

I could see a few more sophisticated things going on in the NX version, like better collision detection for foliage, etc. Kind of like the differences between ACIV on last gen and current gen.

jmizzal

It doenst mean that, it got delayed for the NX version, if it wasnt big of an upgrade it prob wouldnt need a delay

Volotaire

At the very least I would expect a native 1080p output and integration of Zelda NX with NX's 'hook' (controller, network features, ecosystem, play it on the 'NX handheld', etc.)

ozfunghi

So even IF there was a chip/production mix-up... why would this be a good thing? Are people assuming the MS chips were more powerful and Nintendo would get to keep those for the same price as their inferior chips (disregarding all the R&D done and concept that may not be compatible with this "MS-chip"). Or are people assuming Nintendo needed to wait due to the wrong chips being made, meaning they would get a discount on their production... but would be stuck with 28nm chips due to the delay, at a time when 14nm would likely be the better choice, nearly 6 months later?

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
So even IF there was a chip/production mix-up... why would this be a good thing? Are people assuming the MS chips were more powerful and Nintendo would get to keep those for the same price as their inferior chips (disregarding all the R&D done and concept that may not be compatible with this "MS-chip"). Or are people assuming Nintendo needed to wait due to the wrong chips being made, meaning they would get a discount on their production... but would be stuck with 28nm chips due to the delay, at a time when 14nm would likely be the better choice, nearly 6 months later?

I was thinking this too.

What if all the NX leaks about power, cpu, performance was based on this rumored, supposed mix up....

Pokemaniac

It's less a good thing (though it does make it a bit more likely that the chip could be 14 nm) and more that it would explain Nintendo's seemingly insane strategy with NX. If they're having issues getting the parts made, then that would explain both delaying it past the holiday season and them not even bringing it to E3 in a way that's not nearly as worrying as a lot of the alternatives.

Vena

Because there's ramifications that, while initially negative for Nintendo (and also going a long way to explain why the sudden change in strategy/timing), would put them in a very good position (after a bad one) to demand reparations. If GloFo or AMD fucked up, it means that Nintendo can push for reduction in material costs or other benefits. It could, very much so, affect the ultimate price of the console if, in this fuck up, Nintendo lost its entire schedule, retail plannings, and holiday. You can be certain that their lawyers would be up-whomever's ass that was responsible and will wring them for everything they can.

Imagine the nonsensical scenario (to fit this nonsensical situation) of where the PS4K and X1.5 launch at 400$, and the NX launches at like 299$ with very close specs because their production cost got slashed hard to avoid getting sued into oblivion.

The more interesting thing is that the X1.5 and the NX are on the same fabrication line, which likely means they share a node size. If the X1.5 is 14nm, which is not unlikely as one could imagine that Microsoft is pushing hard to match the PS4K and power ratings, then the NX is also potentially a 14nm fab as well. (This also fits with why such a seemingly small fuck-up could fuck up an entire schedule, because yields are low and there's not much production available outside of a handful of factories. They simply do not have the time, given the yields to produce kits or retail hardware in time for holiday development/retail packaging and channel filling.)

They do not get "stuck" with 28nm or wait for 14nm. The chip was designed for 14 or 28nm, it doesn't magically change after the fact.

I was thinking this too.

What if all the NX leaks about power, cpu, performance was based on this rumored, supposed mix up....

Because Nintendo wasn't distributing Xbox dev kits. Come on, just use common sense. People were getting hardware from Nintendo, not a random GloFo factory.

MuchoMalo

Banned

Please tell me that you aren't seriously making this leap and that you're just trying to temper your expectations. That doesn't imply anything like that at all.

It would take more than a few months and a lot of money to move the design to 28nm. Unless what you're saying is that it's already on 28nm but got delayed because of the mixup, in which case that's not possible because this mixup could only happen if it's already 14nm. The plant in question is currently a 14nm one.

Edit: Never mind, that one also does 28nm. I still think that 14nm is more likely though, weighing the pros and cons. If PS4Neo is launching this year, then that would make it extremely likely that Nintendo went for 14nm. If they are launching in Q1 2017 however, then yes it would likely mean that NX's original date was just slightly too early for 14nm. I also don't think that a 28nm chip and a 14nm chip could get mixed up, since they'd use different sections of the facility.

I was thinking this too.

lmao what

Okay, everyone needs to calm down because now we're getting silly

Mory Dunz

I could see a few more sophisticated things going on in the NX version, like better collision detection for foliage, etc. Kind of like the differences between ACIV on last gen and current gen.

Personally my expectations are low. (well they're good enough for me, but people are maybe expecting more)

I expect Zelda U to be 720/30.

And Zelda NX to be 1080/30. Both with situational fps drops but Zelda U more affected.

I don't expect much AA if any for Zelda U, since I'm expecting it to be pretty taxing. I think NX version might have some, but I don't think it will have better models, shaders or really anything. It might have more trees or foilage in the overworld. But the major thing will be a resolution bump I think. Oh, and I think it'll have better draw distance.

Vena

Edit: Never mind, that one also does 28nm. I still think that 14nm is more likely though, weighing the pros and cons. If PS4Neo is launching this year, then that would make it extremely likely that Nintendo went for 14nm. If they are launching in Q1 2017 however, then yes it would likely mean that NX's original date was just slightly too early for 14nm. I also don't think that a 28nm chip and a 14nm chip could get mixed up, since they'd use different sections of the facility.

You're most certainly not going to put a 28nm slide on a 14nm fab line, and vise-versa.

But we don't know if the X1.5 is on 14 or 28.

MuchoMalo

Banned
You're most certainly not going to put a 28nm slide on a 14nm fab line, and vise-versa.

But we don't know if the X1.5 is on 14 or 28.

Nah, it would have to be 14nm if it's an upgrade or the chip would be huge and hot. MS would have no reason to stick with 28nm for an upgrade. On top of that, the Xbone Slim should have a die shrink to TSMC 20nm, and I also don't see why they would use GloFo for 28nm if they could just use TSMC as usual.

TheJoRu

Rösti;202244875 said:
I am expecting more information on NX, primarily when and how it will be unveiled, to be made available prior to Nintendo's 76th Annual General Meeting of Shareholders scheduled to be held on June 29, 2016.

The unveil itself could perhaps happen in August or September. Or they will wait for gamescom and Tokyo Game Show to be over so they don't have to face competition from that.

I could see a reveal being targeted to happen right before the end of the first half of the FY (sometime mid to end September), opening up for pre-orders and giving them 6 months before release to market the thing.

My cynical self has been saying that they'll do it really late, like December or something, just barely keeping the promise of revealing this year. But at the same time I have to imagine that in the last 4-6 months before release, crazy NDAs or not, it's gonna be difficult keeping mouths shut on this thing. It's also apparent that Nintendo gives no shit about a reveal mucking up Wii U-sales and would not take that into consideration. Rather I think revealing this thing a good while before the holidays because, if we imagine it replacing Wii U first and foremost, is very important to be able to clarify that quickly to keep people from thinking "I shouldn't buy a 3DS this holiday because NX is coming out soon", even though it might not even be a handheld device (yet).

ozfunghi

Because there's ramifications that, while initially negative for Nintendo (and also going a long way to explain why the sudden change in strategy/timing), would put them in a very good position (after a bad one) to demand reparations. If GloFo or AMD fucked up, it means that Nintendo can push for reduction in material costs or other benefits. It could, very much so, affect the ultimate price of the console if, in this fuck up, Nintendo lost its entire schedule, retail plannings, and holiday. You can be certain that their lawyers would be up-whomever's ass that was responsible and will wring them for everything they can.

Imagine the nonsensical scenario (to fit this nonsensical situation) of where the PS4K and X1.5 launch at 400$, and the NX launches at like 299$ with very close specs because their production cost got slashed hard to avoid getting sued into oblivion.

But it doesn't change the fact that they completely missed their launch and, in case of a 28nm chip, get none of the benefits from the delay, that would otherwise go along with production of a 14nm chip.

The more interesting thing is that the X1.5 and the NX are on the same fabrication line, which likely means they share a node size. If the X1.5 is 14nm, which is not unlikely as one could imagine that Microsoft is pushing hard to match the PS4K and power ratings, then the NX is also potentially a 14nm fab as well. (This also fits with why such a seemingly small fuck-up could fuck up an entire schedule, because yields are low and there's not much production available outside of a handful of factories. They simply do not have the time, given the yields to produce kits or retail hardware in time for holiday development/retail packaging and channel filling.)

Ok, thanks, this is what i wanted to know. If it's on the same node as the XBOII then it's more likely to be 14nm i guess.

They do not get "stuck" with 28nm or wait for 14nm. The chip was designed for 14 or 28nm, it doesn't magically change after the fact.

That's exactly what i mean by "being stuck". Getting all the negatives of 28nm, but none of the positives that go along with it (launching in time for 2016 holidays).

It would take more than a few months and a lot of money to move the design to 28nm.

Obviously, that's not what i'm saying. If Nintendo planned to launch november 2016, it's very likely the process would be 28nm. If that got pushed back, they'd be stuck with a 28nm chip in the middle of 2017, at a time they would have been better off going with 14nm. Meaning they could get a financial compensation for launching half a year late, with a 28nm chip (as i don't know how feasable it would be to switch nodes last minute) hence without the technological benefits a 14nm chip would bring (heat, noise, higher clockspeed, smaller form factor, power usage... possibly even a completely new architecture like polaris...). Getting financial compensation won't change that... if indeed their chip was 28nm to begin with.

Neoxon

I just realized that Zelda being on Wii U and NX might mean the NX may not be much of a graphical upgrade. Which is honestly disheartening.
Both were developed together, & the Wii U version was kept around since that was the platform that the game was originally promised for. I wouldn't read too much into it.

Knew it. E3 isn't Nintendo's stage anymore. In fact, E3 is not a platform releaaing stage anymore. Everyone needs their own events for major announcements like hardware reveal.

With that said, PS4K and Xbox1.5 may very well be announced at E3, and might get earlier release than NX? Now that will be very interesting turn of events.

eifer

It's gonna be sad when NX is barely as powerful as an xbox one and releases around the same time as ps4.5 and nextboxone

MuchoMalo

Banned
Obviously, that's not what i'm saying. If Nintendo planned to launch november 2016, it's very likely the process would be 28nm. If that got pushed back, they'd be stuck with a 28nm chip in the middle of 2017, at a time they would have been better off going with 14nm. Meaning they could get a financial compensation for launching half a year late, with a 28nm chip (as i don't know how feasable it would be to switch nodes last minute) hence without the technological benefits a 14nm chip would bring (heat, noise, higher clockspeed, smaller form factor, power usage... possibly even a completely new architecture like polaris...). Getting financial compensation won't change that... if indeed their chip was 28nm to begin with.

As has been noted, if this rumor is true, the chip would have to be the same process as XB1.5. There's no way that such a mix-up would happen otherwise. I also doubt that Nintendo would be using GloFo's 28nm process even if they were to use that node; I'd expect them to go with TSMC in that instance. Even if they did go with GloFo 28nm, I'd imagine that they'd go with Fab 1 due to its higher output instead of Fab 8. Basically, if it's 28nm, it means that this rumor is wrong. As I've noted, Nintendo usually isn't a node behind Sony at launch. Wii U was the exception, and there were a few reasons for that.

It's gonna be sad when NX is barely as powerful as an xbox one and releases around the same time as ps4.5 and nextboxone

Not if it's $250.

Shiggy

As has been noted, if this rumor is true, the chip would have to be the same process as XB1.5. There's no way that such a mix-up would happen otherwise. I also doubt that Nintendo would be using GloFo's 28nm process even if they were to use that node; I'd expect them to go with TSMC in that instance. Even if they did go with GloFo 28nm, I'd imagine that they'd go with Fab 1 due to its higher output instead of Fab 8. Basically, if it's 28nm, it means that this rumor is wrong. As I've noted, Nintendo usually isn't a node behind Sony at launch. Wii U was the exception, and there were a few reasons for that.

Not if it's $250.

Why? The Xbox One and PS4 are already cheaper than a Wii U in Europe and can be found for 200-250€.

MuchoMalo

Banned
Why? The Xbox One and PS4 are already cheaper than a Wii U in Europe and can be found for 200-250€.

Are those standard prices or sales prices? Either way, I don't think that it's going to be Xbone level. I think it'll be at least slightly faster than PS4. I don't think it'll match the 2016 laptop twins because I doubt that they saw something like this coming in 2014.

Has anyone seen this?

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...ng_to_do_says_nintendo_boss_tatsumi_kimishima

Apparently, the English translation of the Investor Q&A hasn't been posted, but Cheesemeister3k posted a summary of some key points. I did a search for a thread, but found nothing. Thread worthy? If so, can someone make the thread? I'm on mobile and having trouble copying and pasting text from the site.

our integrated hardware/software business doesn't end that year, but is something that can continue to be played for several years so we think that "releasing something proper" is the most important thing.

We are planning for it to be a platform that will be played for a long time.

These quotes were interesting to me. I wouldn't be surprised if NX is planned to be iterative from the get-go. Even before the PS4Neo stuff there was talk about Nintendo taking the system in such a direction.

Pinky

Banned
These quotes were interesting to me. I wouldn't be surprised if NX is planned to be iterative from the get-go. Even before the PS4Neo stuff there was talk about Nintendo taking the system in such a direction.

Those quotes stood out to me too. They intend for this platform to be a long term endeavor. And I like Kimishimi's commitment to standing firm on a 2017 launch and having a strong lineup to accompany it. I like his optimism for a steady flow of software beyond launch, but we'll see how that plays out. I wish them the best of luck.

MuchoMalo

Banned

It's definitely planned to be iterative or upgradable via SCDs. This is the future of consoles, and NX will be the first one with that in mind from the get-go.

As far as I can tell it all started with this post:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=202184927&postcount=4174

Now has there been anything since that post to give it any real creedence? Hell if I can tell. I just take it with a huge grain of salt, i.e. to me it's just another unsubstantiated rumor at this point.

No, but it's fun. I think it'll be 14nmFF either way.

ozfunghi

Ok, so either the rumor's true and it's most likely 14nm, or it's not true and it's still likely to be 14nm. Sounds good :)

BY2K

Membero Americo
I just realized the NX seems to go the way of the N64.

Set for the end of the year, it got delayed to the next year, first in April, then came out in June in Japan, September in the US, March the year after that in Europe.

Anarky

Banned
Man if the NX is a platform with a shared library between console and handheld plus upgradable via SCD I would be so down with that.

XenodudeX

I just want decent thrid party support for this thing man. I don't want this console to die like the Wii U did. Is it too much to motherfucking ask, Nintendo!?!?!?!?

EhoaVash

Man if the NX is a platform with a shared library between console and handheld plus upgradable via SCD I would be so down with that.

i would be down for that but wouldn't that make things so much ..redundant? it would make more people buy 1 piece of hardware with no point in owning the other one sort of like ps4/vita. One device will destroy the other unless Nintendo somehow makes it a hybrid/ bundled in console handheld device which i doubt lol

I was reading a new Emily rogers article on her site and found this image
redundancy.jpg
link to article btw https://arcadegirl64.wordpress.com/2016/04/30/how-do-you-solve-a-problem-like-maria/

it would be very much redundant to own two devices that play the same thing sure one version might be portable, but i'm not going to go out and buy another hardware to take the same game with me on the go and i'm sure most people will just settle with one hardware instead of buying both NX portable and console

Pokemaniac

As far as I can tell it all started with this post:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=202184927&postcount=4174

Now has there been anything since that post to give it any real creedence? Hell if I can tell. I just take it with a huge grain of salt, i.e. to me it's just another unsubstantiated rumor at this point.

We haven't been able to verify that it's true, but all the publicly available details check out. The plant exists and is one which could potentially be working on the NX chips. I'm pretty sure someone also mentioned that the poster lived in the same general area as the plant. The story may be unverified, but it is plausible.

i would be down for that but wouldn't that make things so much ..redundant? it would make more people buy 1 piece of hardware with no point in owning the other one sort of like ps4/vita. One device will destroy the other unless Nintendo somehow makes it a hybrid/ bundled in console handheld device which i doubt lol

link to article btw https://arcadegirl64.wordpress.com/2016/04/30/how-do-you-solve-a-problem-like-maria/

it would be very much redundant to own two devices that play the same thing sure one version might be portable, but i'm not going to go out and buy another hardware to take the same game with me on the go and i'm sure most people will just settle with one hardware instead of buying both NX portable and console

This is exactly what I've been thinking the whole time about the shared library talk. Which is why, in that form, it's a bad idea.

However, I still feel what they actually meant by those words was a development pipeline where scaling of assets and code was very easy (relatively speaking) between home console games and handheld software, so that teams wouldn't need to create completely new model assets and toolchains for each one separately, or doing significant grunt retooling from project to project.

In that sense, the idea holds a lot more weight and is more sensible.

Luigiv

Talk about stretching to make a point. You could literally compile a list like this between almost any two platforms, especially if you're going to include sequels like this list does.

Shadoron

This is exactly what I've been thinking the whole time about the shared library talk. Which is why, in that form, it's a bad idea.

However, I still feel what they actually meant by those words was a development pipeline where scaling of assets and code was very easy (relatively speaking) between home console games and handheld software, so that teams wouldn't need to create completely new model assets and toolchains for each one separately, or doing significant grunt retooling from project to project.

In that sense, the idea holds a lot more weight and is more sensible.

My thought process on this has been Nintendo can leverage the 50+ million 3DS users and 12+ million WiiU users into one unified platform, thus equaling ~60 million total console sales. This gives 3rd party devs a large number of platform holders, to entice them to bring 3rd party games back to Nintendo's NX.

Here's an example, using made up numbers to show my takeaway: Using Roger's picture of all the duplicate games Nintendo has had to make for two different platforms... let's say that over the life of the WiiU and 3DS they made 50 games for each. Of those 50, there were 40 games shared that were redundant (like smash and Mario Kart). By making a home console and handheld that can share a library, Nintendo has now increased their own output to 40 shared, plus 20 unique. Having those 40 shared now means they can devote devs to 40 *more* unique projects that wouldn't have happened if the platform wasn't shared. So, now Nintendo, by themselves can make 40+40+20=100 unique games for NX, instead of 40+10+10=60 unique games under the WiiU and 3DS. This added output would allow them to bring back neglected IP and create other new IP, like Splatoon. This in turn, makes their NX platform more appealing to gamers who maybe didn't pick up either a WiiU or 3DS before. It doesn't matter if people prefer a home or portable console, they all play the same software.

Looking at this from a 3rd party dev standpoint, having a home console platform that potentially reaches 60+ million gamers on NX means that they would be more willing to port over their games, versus just WiiU at 12 million units. 3rd party devs wouldn't care if you played COD on the NX home or portable, because those 60 million sales of NX hardware are *still* 60 million units out there. Plus, you will have some people (like myself) who enjoy being able to play one game both at home and on the go. I loved this ability while playing Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate. I could take my character on the road with me, and throughout the day get one or two fights in. Then go back home, sync over my save, and play on the big screen. Having more 3rd party software could very well entice more Sony or MS fans to actually buy an NX home console, which increases that platform's numbers. So now you may end up with something like 30 or 35 million home console sales, and 50 million portable. So, in theory, everything works together to actually *increase* hardware and software sales.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom