• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NXGamer first look at XboxOne version of Just Cause 3 (hint: it's baaaaaad)

After hearing about the PS4 version, this sucks. No JC3 for me.

This thread though...

Its bad on PS4 and Xbone? never mind just buy the PC version...

A few months ago?
Arkham Knight runs shit on PC and is litterally glorious on consoles?just buy the console version fuck this dev! we want full refunds! Apologies! Blood sacrifices!

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Well its true the consoles have limitations, so the PC version should be the best by default provided it was a good optimization effort. But optimization effort on consoles is also paramount, and we hardly ever see that these days until months down to the line for a lot of games, after the game as been patched multiple times

We have. If you trust Giant Bomb, that is.

I didn't see that. Would wait for a DF report though...

Inuhanyou

Pretty sure no informed person was claiming that tw3 had a CPU issue after all the evidence was put out.

The DF thread says a different story. An absolute cesspool of assumption which was later debunked after patch 1.10, months and months after anybody even cared anymore.

Same with Borderlands Handsome collection even though we obviously could tell it was a poor optimization effort, you still had tons of the same suspects coming out of the woodwork to proclaim untue assumptions about the ability of the HW over developer coding, which also had to be debunked afterward

geomon

Hopefully this is patched by the time I'm done with GTAV, Mad Max, and Transformers Devastation. That's just unreal.

A fifteen minute load time is something I wouldn't endure once. Fps drops is OK, I can handle it if I must, but don't steal excess time from me with a rushed product.

Yes. All of GAF gets it, your respective gaming PC is much more powerful than all of the consoles. There is no need to bring it up whenever there is any problem that could possibly be twisted into being due to their weakness.

I was so hyped for this game. I'll probably pick it up on PS4 the day that the major problems are fixed since I can't do much gaming on my PC for now. I'm very tempted to not buy it at all though. I don't really have any investment on the series.

Folks waiting in the wings for an badly optimized release.

"Now's my chance!"

statham

A fifteen minute load time is something I wouldn't endure once. Fps drops is OK, I can handle it if I must, but don't steal excess time from me with a rushed product.

do you seriously think it has a 15 minute load time? seriously? like you would sit there for 15 minutes waiting for that load bar to load? *I've never played the game and I'm 100% confident this is wrong by NXgamer*

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I'm just going to hold out on buying most open world games at launch to avoid stuff like this. They suffer so much at launch compared to a few patches down the line.

ODDI

So you're not interested in getting a game with bad performance , bugs and long load times, and your reaction isb to buy a game with bad performance, bugs and long load times?

lOL

I can't win lol, seriously it's one or the other anyway it seems i'm the loser.

And this is why I have a PC. (hint: xbone is baaaaaaad)

Bad? No. Much less powerful, yes. It's a fine gaming platform when developers properly scale back the graphics to match the reduced power of consoles compared to PC which it seems Avalanche has colossally failed to do. Fingers crossed for a patch.

do you seriously think it has a 15 minute load time? seriously? like you would sit there for 15 minutes waiting for that load bar to load? *I've never played the game and I'm 100% confident this is wrong by NXgamer*

How would I know if it really does or not? Its what the man said it took sometimes. I wouldn't dare sit that long without thinking something was wrong and quitting the game.

Cleve

Wow, what the hell, that's rough. Should have taken longer or just dropped the res/effects if they had to. That's some n64 frame rate there.

If there isn't a day 1 patch for that to radically improve it I hope users take square to task for letting it release like that.

I'll get the game on PC soon, but with xenoblade coming out soon and fallout still on the table I think I'll just wait to see if the pc version has the memory leaks too.

Any game not properly done on any system can be bad. Arkham knight was a prime example of that (still salty as that was the code that came with my gtx 970).

I have a gaming PC and comments like these are just as shitty to see tbh. It's great that you own a system that you enjoy, but you don't have to shit on other systems for kicks.

Karak

Forgive my ignorance, but how can you tell that performance issues are being caused by memory leaks? What exactly are they?

He absolutely can't without an SDK and the source code. He can only guess but sadly that kind of stuff he is sort of known for. Usually the devs politely remind him but haven't seen that yet.
I really wish he would just cover what he actually knows because each time he does this it spreads fud and the better the knowledge the better armed consumers are. Luckily others have already pointed it out.

Again thats not saying its not that its just whenever analysis is used and your talking about this its best to actually be factual. Especially in this instance.

ironcreed

Banned
All of the footage I have watched looks great, but I guess that is not telling the whole story. The memory leak thing is what I find most troubling. Ah well, I am just going to go in and hope for the best at this point.

The game is not very well optimized on the PC and apparently runs like shit on the most recent AMD drivers.

That's what I heard from a close friend that's reviewing it.

All of the footage I have watched looks great, but I guess that is not telling the whole story. The memory leak thing is what I find most troubling. Ah well, I am just going to go in and hope for the best at this point.

You're more likely to get memory leaks if you leave your console on "Instant on" which is what I don't do for my X1 nor PS4 since some games turn weird. Like how Bloodborne bosses turn easy because of a memory leak when users leave the PS4 resting instead of turning it completely off so that the memory is refreshed.

Shin-Ra

Forgive my ignorance, but how can you tell that performance issues are being caused by memory leaks? What exactly are they?
Performance that degrades more over time (and improves when you restart the game), crashes and stuttering audio are usually pretty good signs.

Karak

You're more likely to get memory leaks if you leave your console on "Instant on" which is what I don't do for my X1 nor PS4 since some games turn weird. Like how Bloodborne bosses turn easy because of a memory leak when users leave the PS4 resting instead of turning it completely off so that the memory is refreshed.

Thats also an allocation issue where the allocation of resources don't get back fully to the title. Which is different than a memory leak. Though both occur.

ldcommando

Banned
Saw the pc version today on lirik´s stream and it looked fucking awesome. But it is expected because he has a beast of a pc. I wonder what my 970 can do.

ironcreed

Banned
You're more likely to get memory leaks if you leave your console on "Instant on" which is what I don't do for my X1 nor PS4 since some games turn weird. Like how Bloodborne bosses turn easy because of a memory leak when users leave the PS4 resting instead of turning it completely off.

I turn my systems off as well, so that would be great if it helps. At any rate, I have watched a ton of footage and have not seen any of these issues. I am expecting to get the game that I have seen for the most part and I'm sure I will have a good time with it.

Jigorath

Banned
Just Cause 2 was so nice on 360 last gen. What a shame. Some devs need to learn how to make competent games on consoles. It's a pretty large part of their market.

Ugh, take this PC warrior crap back to reddit please.

malaphorically

Neo Member
I keep hearing that the issues present are due to a CPU-bottleneck. However, wasn't a large promise of the PS4 GPU's significant increase in power and more sensible cores (vs. Cell) than last gen that developers could offload computation to the GPU (GPGPU)?

Has there just not been enough time for developers to master these techniques or was Sony/devs too bullish on the GPU's capability for such things?

One example

I know this is an XBO thread, but it still begs the question and both have similar underpowered CPU/powerfulish GPU architectures.

Inuhanyou

And hinder the PC version? HELL NO.

Don't be so quick to assume this is CPU without actual proof of that.

I keep hearing that the issues present are due to a CPU-bottleneck. However, wasn't a large promise of the PS4 GPU's significant increase in power and more sensible cores (vs. Cell) than last gen that developers could offload computation to the GPU (GPGPU)?

Has there just not been enough time for developers to master these techniques or was Sony/devs too bullish on the GPU's capability for such things?

One example

You can't substitute every CPU instruction set for GPU, only certain things can be offloaded to begin with. But even before that, devs are not going to use that sort of thing if it can't be shared equally across all development environments, something you can't promise on XB1 or PC.

This is before we get into whether or not the issue is CPU based or bad coding.

Karak

One example

Any changes require specialized coding. Some companies don't feel its worth it.

Saw the pc version today on lirik´s stream and it looked fucking awesome. But it is expected because he has a beast of a pc. I wonder what my 970 can do.
All the issues talked about in the OP come up because of CPU bottle neck issues so unless your CPU is ancient it should be just fine.

Top Bottom