• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NXGamer first look at XboxOne version of Just Cause 3 (hint: it's baaaaaad)

Just Cause has always been a PC-only series as far as I'm concerned. Just doesn't feel right on Console.
Feels right to me.

But yeah, the Xbox One version looks super rough, even on a low quality stream the aliasing is horrible, and the performance isn't much better.

PS4 will likely run the same but at least it will look better. I'll get it for $32 at Best Buy on Tuesday, so at least if I don't like it I can trade it in for a profit.

Hoje0308

Banned
Are these platforms already getting long in the tooth? This is not the first time in just the last month where a console version of a game is just..poor.

The other is from a developer that's known for producing games with performance issues, and JC3 was made by a new branch of Avalanche, no? The technical issues JC3 has indicate that it needed more development time on consoles.

I'll get it for $32 at Best Buy on Tuesday, so at least if I don't like it I can trade it in for a profit.

Are you using credits on top of GCU, or is there a sale I'm not aware of?

This comment is recurrent every generation.
If the visuals standards are higher each gen, the average frame rate will always (or almost all the time) be the same.

Which is why at some point I hope the devs on console games embrace the limitations and seek smooth performance. Be it 30fps with extra pretty, or 60fps with less pretty, but performance wise, have the frame rate always be solid. Not mostly solid, but as close to perfect as possible with very rare fps drops as nothing is perfect.

One can dream, but what we've seen thus far (in general for the most part) is a model that doesn't equate to solid fps performance, which is a shame for a closed platform. (Console). All I really hope for on console is smooth frames, In which that hope is rarely realized. Of course this is my own opinion as always.

There's no need to keep pushing the limited consoles, embrace what they have to offer, and deliver a smooth experience. Whatever your 30 or 60 fps vision entails. ( but please for my own selfish desires shoot for 60fps)

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Are these platforms already getting long in the tooth? This is not the first time in just the last month where a console version of a game is just..poor.

Bad optimization has nothing to do with console performance. Acting like Bethesda is going to offer that is funny.As for Just cause 3, memory leaks by definition are bad programming and have nothing to do with the consoles power. They definitely did not make good decisions somewhere just to launch earlier.

As the poster above me says, certain game developers have to learn discipline by and large about these things for good performance.

But first and foremost, they should learn how to actually optimize a game without having to patch for 6 months to get decent framerates. Eventually on console Just cause 3 may be great. But we should not have to accept them pushing out a game like this right now. I said the same about CDPROJECTRED, and Rockstar, both of which have had games that had significant post launch support and are now in a far superior state.

LAM09

Didn't think things were that bad. I guess I'll be holding off till next month now (providing patches are released).

I've never even heard of memory leak before. Is that something thats likely to be patched fairly quickly or is it something that could take months?

Holy shit, random crashes and up to 15 minutes to reload a save? How does something like this make it past QA and certification? If I were MS I'd send that shit back.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
I've never even heard of memory leak before. Is that something thats likely to be patched fairly quickly or is it something that could take months?

It means the memory use of the game grows with time. I find it hard to believe , leeks are easy to catch and fix with modern dev tools.

statham

Just Cause 2 ran great (and was one of the best-looking games I've ever seen as well) on 360.

This is disappointing.
did you read the eurogamer article before, after, or never on JC2? because it has issues, FR and Screen-tear, , but IMO most wouldn't see a big deal unless they read it before hand. Then it kinda sticks in your head and your looking for it.

Inuhanyou

Memory leaks are more common on PC just due to horrible coding(i think watch dogs and batman had that problem), but on console its more problematic just due to how they have coded the game

SparkTR

Just Cause has always been a PC-only series as far as I'm concerned. Just doesn't feel right on Console.

The first JC was way better on 360 than PC, better lighting, animations, textures, everything. But yeah JC2 changed things there, it was a generational difference compared to the console versions.

Madness

How does this compare to the PS4 version?

Again, it's a CPU processor bottleneck issue, and as the consoles share identical processors (Xbox One even clocked slightly higher), you'll probably have the same issues, better GPU/RAM notwithstanding.

If you have to get one, it's pretty guaranteed the PS4 due to superior hardware will be the better version, maybe better visual fidelity, otherwise, the safe bet seems to be the PC version here as long as your specs are better than what Xbox One and PS4 do.

Why the fuck would this game not be delayed to fix these issues? Launching like this kills any credibility this franchise had, which financially hurts the dev and publisher in the long run. This must be a case of idiotic short termism.

Head.spawn

I could probably deal with the framerate issues and the screen tearing didn't look completely terrible; but 15 minutes...?

tumblr_m012zwKbMs1r0wjy3o1_500.gif

statham

Feels right to me.

But yeah, the Xbox One version looks super rough, even on a low quality stream the aliasing is horrible, and the performance isn't much better.

PS4 will likely run the same but at least it will look better. I'll get it for $32 at Best Buy on Tuesday, so at least if I don't like it I can trade it in for a profit.

if you don't like the Xbox version can you trade it in for profit too>?

https://youtu.be/fU9fK5LxoTc?t=128
NXgamer says on the video at the 2mins10sec mark something like this
Far Cry 4 has a very similar look at it at times, which means a lack of any real PBR ( Physically Based Rendering) solution in the game's engine and pipeline

Have I understood this correctly, is he saying FC4 and JC4 both have no PBR?

If so, he's wrong as they both use PBR.

Well, there goes Ironcreed's theory.
Not sure where the idea of the PS4 version being technically inferior comes from--it's almost never the case.

They're both dogshit.

Are these kinda games pretty hard, anyway?
It's been a while since I played JC2 so I don't remember, but I'm pretty sure that I barely died in GTA V.

No the game is pretty easy, I was just mocking people who excused long load times as lessons. I know you were just joking though :)

Madness

You do not know this.

Okay, it's 'rumored' that the weak processor, especially in the Xbox One version, is causing a lot of the problems based on what I've read here and elsewhere. Additionally, anecdotally I'm hearing PS4 version having some issues as well, if it is processor issue, it could possibly be due to that. So you're right, I technically do not 'know' if it is indeed the reason. I do know that so far from what I've seen, it's a rough release for sure.

No, it didn't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pjez1tF1gz8

I had more videos on my old ps3 before it broke. Constant audio issues, freezing, save file corruptions, slowdowns to 10 fps, crashes. I could go on, they focused 100% on the pc version back then and it's no different now.

Perhaps these issues existed on PS3, but I assure you that through my 40 hours with the 360 version I never experienced any particular issues. It ran quite well and looked great.

So, no, not "100% on the PC version" for JC2.

did you read the eurogamer article before, after, or never on JC2? because it has issues, FR and Screen-tear, , but IMO most wouldn't see a big deal unless they read it before hand. Then it kinda sticks in your head and your looking for it.

I never read it, no.

However, I am sensitive to games running poorly. It really pisses me off. If it had noticeable, serious, pathological issues like those being described about JC3, I would have noticed and remembered.

For example, Far Cry 3 was far too shit on consoles IMO. It's what prompted me to go build a PC again (FC3).

Madness

Is this a sign that maybe Avalanche was spread too thin? Or is there a different explanation.

Maybe a mix of Avalanche not exactly devoting full time and resources needed for a game like this into the release, coupled with really low end consoles. So many games require day one patches, are rough releases the past year or two. My cousin who bought Mad Max, said it was such a glitchy game.

Stuff like this makes me wish I had just used the money I used to buy these consoles to build a new PC instead. Plan to have one built by next year.

Not much I can say without coming across as one of those PC Master Race solicitors, but man, between this and Fallout 4, I'm so fucking glad I'm all-in on the PC side of things.

Here's hoping they can patch most of this, but games should not launch like this, it's crazy that publishers think this is acceptable in the first place.

RK128

So the game is launching on both PS4 and X1 with bad performance issues while the PC version is great?

That is sad, as like you guys stated, JC2 ran great on PS3/360, but considering the JC2 guys made Mad Max, it makes sense they could help out the new team with optimization and thus the game releasing in a bad state on consoles is not a surprise :(.

Hope that by January/February, all the issues are fixed up and patched, that way the games issues will be fixed up.

Honestly, it bites that more and more games are releasing in shoddy states and we have to hope for patches to fix everything. For all the crap many of us gave Battlefront, at least that runs and plays great out of the box. Nintendo's software doesn't have this issue either; games release in a playable state out of the box and the patches only add to the game (Splatoon and Mario Maker come to mind).

Oh well, Avalanche is a great studio and I hope they get the game fixed up soon; for all we know, the day-one patch fixes these performance issues or something.

Inuhanyou

People were saying Witcher 3 and GTA5 had a CPU issue on PS4 as well that could not be fixed because of the launch performance. And it goes without saying things like Batman on PC are shit.

Its bad optimization folks. Somewhere down the line, we're going to have to lay these issues at what a cesspool the industry has become in regards to coding discipline.

So the game is launching on both PS4 and X1 with bad performance issues while the PC version is great?

We don't know anything about PC just yet, but hopefully it turns out good

That's the biggest problem right there. Not the consoles, but the 'launch first patch later' mentality. Witcher 3 is working fine after like 6 months. That shit is unacceptable.

Pretty much, no point at shitting on the consoles when future patches typically provide acceptable performance. Yeah, consoles are limiting, but it's obvious that there are issues dev side with many of these games.

DarkOneX

Digital preorder cancelled, sux yo :( I was surprised how easy it was to call Microsoft and cancel it though, whole call took a bit over 5 minutes including the menus I was floored how easy that was.

oSoLucky

Yes. All of GAF gets it, your respective gaming PC is much more powerful than all of the consoles. There is no need to bring it up whenever there is any problem that could possibly be twisted into being due to their weakness.

I was so hyped for this game. I'll probably pick it up on PS4 the day that the major problems are fixed since I can't do much gaming on my PC for now. I'm very tempted to not buy it at all though. I don't really have any investment on the series.

Top Bottom