• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NY Times report Switch sales in North America (from interview with Reggie)

jrDev

In the bathroom right now, with Zelda playing in tabletop mode! I love this system! Deserves every sale they can get! :p
Playing Zelda this evening when this major storm rolls through KC. Tornado sirens go off and so does my power. Switch switches to tablet mode and I keep on going. I love this thing.
Very cool! Do you have a power bank too lol?

Vinc

Zelda is incredible, and the Switch makes a surprisingly great first impression in my case. Sure, it's missing too many features, but I find the dock system and portability more compelling than I originally thought I would.

ZeoVGM

Banned
13+ Million Wii U owners does not = "no one owned it".

It's quite obvious I didn't mean that literally.

The Wii U was a disaster. We all know this.

8 million is not a number to scoff at. People have bought it played it, it will sell for sure, but it's not doing 8 million.

Mario Kart Wii sold 36 million copies. If Switch is a hit, let's say 50 million units instead of the Wii's 100 million or whatever, is it really weird to think that Mario Kart 8 could be more successful on it?

If Switch is a mainstream success, MK8 could sell to non-Nintendo fans as well.

phanphare

Banned
sounds good. seems like the Switch did well world wide when considering it's March and not Novemeber. let's seem if they can carry the momentum. I'm really curious to see if Mario Kart 8D will do anything. it's Mario Kart so you feel like it should but it's an enhanced port of a 3 year old game but then again tons of people missed that game because Wii U. feel like that game has the chance to really light a fire under the Switch but because it's not a brand new entry I don't know how the market will receive it.

either way solid start, now bring the steady stream of games and let's see how the first holiday season goes

Hopefully successful games and console launches like this get rid of any myth that they have to release during the holidays to be successful. That always really annoys me.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
If a real Switch Pokemon game exists, it's a port. There's no way Game Freak jumps to HD on a reasonable time frame with a wholly fresh game.

Sorry but even if Stars is just a 3rd version Pokemon game without any enhancements it still isn't a port.

In the bathroom right now, with Zelda playing in tabletop mode! I love this system! Deserves every sale they can get! :p

WLWYeWh.jpg

Wash your goddamn hands and clean the Joy-Cons.

Good to hear.

It's a shame about some of the problems that plague it, but this system feels really fucking good. Hope it's successful because I really want this kind of consoles to continue to be a thing, I don't want it to end with the Switch.

I want to be one of 10's of million who keep Nintendo on a single platform path by buying the "New Nintendo Switch 2018" or whatever the next version of this thing is when the library has grown and the hardware has improved (pascal soc, improved ergonomics).

Futureman

Dream scenario... Nintendo expanded the team at Retro and we're getting Donkey Kong side-scroller this winter and Prime next summer.

Either way it really feels like a new Retro game will be out within a year and I'm almost more excited for it than anything potentially in the works by other teams at Nintendo.

random25

It's a good start, but we should wait a few more months, or maybe a whole year to fully gauge how successful the Switch will be in the long run.

Pretty optimistic for the system with big titles coming in until the holidays.

Josh5890

Dream scenario... Nintendo expanded the team at Retro and we're getting Donkey Kong side-scroller this winter and Prime next summer.

Either way it really feels like a new Retro game will be out within a year and I'm almost more excited for it than anything potentially in the works by other teams at Nintendo.

We have heard nothing from Retro since Tropical Freeze was released in Feb of 2014. Not to mention that that it was rumored to be done and ready for the previous holiday. I feel like Retro has to have either one game ready for this year, or two games ready for 2018 and 2019.

Fredrik

Do we have any clue at all what they've been working on? No tiny hint in a tweet etc?
I hope they show something at E3 this year. With Mario out this year Nintendo needs more big must-have titles on the horizon.

jackal27

Banned
Good for them.

Hasn't been smooth sailing, but I don't really remember the last console launch that was... Loving my Switch and Indont really get the launch lineup complaints. Already have 5 games I haven't played before that I'm loving.

daxgame

Wow I didn't think it would have done better than Wii but I seem to recall that the Wii had serious stock problems, so it's early to judge without numbers.

So far the Switch looks like the best console I ever owned but much will depend on future releases, of course.

legend166

I know it's sarcasm, but c'mon now. MK8 sold 8+ million copies. That's more than what most Sony or MS 1st party exclusives sell.

I think the point isn't that MK8 sold poorly, but that we're talking about a franchise that has had entries sell 30+ million. There's a lot of scope for growth on Switch.

Top Bottom