• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NY Times report Switch sales in North America (from interview with Reggie)

guek

Banned
I live in a medium sized town and the midnight lineup at my Best Buy was over 50+ people. Only about a dozen had preordered lol.

balohna

Glad to hear it did well. That said, I had to wait in line for my Wii in like February 2007, months after launch. Stock was selling out instantly even up to that point. I doubt Switch will be like that. But maybe Nintendo is learning a bit about keeping something in stock when there's demand.

PSFan

Don't be ridiculous. Scalpers ruin everything.

Yeah, they do. I remember when I was playing FFXI, there were scalpers in there that would camp shops that sold some special crafting ingredients, only a certain amount each day. They would grab them up and put them in their personal bazaars at jacked up prices. And it wasn't even real money or items.

Ruined the game for me. There was enough of that shit in RL. Didn't need it in a game that was supposed to be fun.

hatchx

Banned
Really loving my Switch, Zelda, and Snipperclips.

I do wonder if they can keep this momentum up until the end of April when MK8 launches. They could have really used a few WiiU ports or a strong Virtual Console for these early dry months.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Launch consoles do well, kind of like what people say. How will the sales be once the stores start restocking this week and next week?

That is a better indicator of if it will have a strong sales tail until Splatoon 2 and other big releases. Also, Nintendo needs a direct ASAP, like in the next couple of days to build momentum.

meanspartan

After Mario Kart, they need to keep rereleasing the big Wii U titles onto Switch. Many people (me included) skipped Wii U but would love to buy its handful of good exclusives. That would also fill out the dearth of games through the fall.

TLZ

Banned
Add to the fact scalpers are a good % of these sales, plus there are ton of places around the world with plenty of stock.

Sorry for repeating myself, but I don't believe Reggie.

We shall see how it is a year from now.

Zia

This makes me unreasonably happy.

I don't think we'll see another game like Breath of the Wild for a long, long time.

linkboy

I had to camp for my Wii in summer 2007, months after its launch. Those were wild times.

I actually got mine on a deployment in Jan 07. The exchange where I was at got 6 in (for some reason) and a friend of mine got them to hold one for me.

Wii Sports made the last month I was there awesome.

Do you remember that we are in a Nintendo thread, right ?

Are you talking about Smash Bros.?

It's true that Smash is extremely popular, but a big factor into that is because it's a giant crossover between a ton of beloved and well known franchises like Mario and Pokemon. ARMS on the other hand is a new unproven IP featuring original characters.

Armorous

Very good to hear.

This is my first day one console purchase since... ever, and this was my first Nintendo console purchase since Gamecube.

Loving it so far, even if I am just playing Zelda :)

I live in a medium sized town and the midnight lineup at my Best Buy was over 50+ people. Only about a dozen had preordered lol.

Yep, same here at my Best Buy in a medium-sized area. I was surprised. Obviously, it's been a great launch for them and they needed. I'm still skeptical about the staying power the system will have sales-wise throughout the rest of the year. It seems they will have a solid software lineup, but I feel like they need more--something outside of the traditional Nintendo franchises we are all accustomed to. Something new and fresh.

Neoxon

That's good to hear, all Nintendo needs to do now is maintain the momentum. Give third parties fewer reasons to ignore the Switch.

As for me, I believe the Switch my second launch system (the first being the 3DS). Maybe I got the GameCube at launch, but my memory is a bit hazy about that.

MK8 MIGHT help out the Switch if Nintendo bundles them together. ARMS looks like a non-starter.

If the rumors of a Smash remaster are true, I could see the Smash Splat set make a comeback. I've never seen Wii Us sell as fast as that pack did.

Smash-Splat-Deluxe-Set-Console--pTRU1-22850519dt.jpg

It seems they will have a solid software lineup, but I feel like they need more--something outside of the traditional Nintendo franchises we are all accustomed to. Something new and fresh.

Well, that's basically what ARMS is. A "new and fresh" IP.

This makes me unreasonably happy.

I don't think we'll see another game like Breath of the Wild for a long, long time.

Super Mario Odyssey, baby.

taoofjord

I hope it's a big success. I really like the system a lot. Bring on the great games and iron out any kinks with a Switch Plus in a couple years.

I like the system well enough so that's good to hear. I feel like it could have way more quality of life updates, but that's for the future. I skipped the Wii u and the Switch is a solid piece of kit besides the very questionable design decisions.

kubev

Does this include pre-orders (especially pre-orders with sites like Amazon that don't charge you until your order ships), or is it just units shipped/sold to customers at this point? I imagine that U.S. stock would be mostly sold out because of scalpers, anyway, but I do hope that Switch sells well enough in general in order for third parties to keep the flow of games coming.

heringer

It's a solid start, but until we get numbers it doesn't mean much given the Wii didn't sell all that well in the first month since it was heavily supply constrained.

Congrats Nintendo, well deserved especially with Zelda. I am really loving my system so far. I was one of the few who skipped the Wii and then the Wii U but for the Switch I am going all in to support it, I love the concept.

entremet

Add to the fact scalpers are a good % of these sales, plus there are ton of places around the world with plenty of stock.

Sorry for repeating myself, but I don't believe Reggie.

We shall see how it is a year from now.
If you're going to critical, you need to be fair.

First, even if a percentage, which we don't even know, of sales are scalpers, are those listings findings homes? You're basically throwing out an arbitrary percentage with no evidence.

Second, Reggie is in charge of NOA. Europe is not his terrority so he's not going to address those regions directly.

I get your skepticism, but skepticism has to be based on reasonable concerns.

brinstar

At the moment, I don't think we should totally judge how well ARMS will do after this infamous thread right here regarding Splatoon.

It's definitely an interesting wild card, for sure. It might not be quite as successful as Splatoon (fighting games don't have as much appeal as shooters for the most part) but it could still do well in its own right.

Wow @ that thread. I don't know why so many people here's default response is immediately negative lol

And yeah who knows with ARMS. They've barely shown it off so far so I think it could go either way. I hope it turns out well because more online games on Switch would be nice.

CrisKre

Wow @ that thread. I don't know why so many people here's default response is immediately negative lol

And yeah who knows with ARMS. They've barely shown it off so far so I think it could go either way. I hope it turns out well because more online games on Switch would be nice.
Welcome to Nintendo threads. Hope you enjoy your stay.

If they were really happy with the numbers wouldn't they reveal them? Glad they seem happy with the way it's selling but I would like to see some numbers before I can speculate.

Platy

Are you talking about Smash Bros.?

It's true that Smash is extremely popular, but a big factor into that is because it's a giant crossover between a ton of beloved and well known franchises like Mario and Pokemon. ARMS on the other hand is a new unproven IP featuring original characters.

Also Pokken ... but I understand

It is just that fighting games have a more base than shooters on nintendo consoles so it has a slightly bigger advantage, even if it does not feature the "Nicktoon that never was" advantage

noshten

So a hybrid device from Nintendo that launches with Zelda BotW, why am I not surprised its going to do well. Now they have probably the best launch game on a Nintendo device since the Wii and the game in question is set to receive additional content in the near future.

I'm still imagining a lot of ideas for content on Zelda and there is like countless possibilities.

With the rest of the lineup I'm still puzzled to hear about how the 3DS and Wii U had stronger lineups in terms of titles in their first six months. A bunch of overpriced, low effort 3rd party ports aren't exactly going to get someone to upgrade from their console. While what Nintendo provided to the Wii U and 3DS was pretty pathetic compared to the Switch. We are talking half an year which will see the release of Zelda, MK, Splatoon and something tons of people asked a few years ago another new IP from Nintendo about which we know very little. The first six months of 3DS and Wii U killed any hype Nintendo wanted to create with the launch.

To me Zelda was enough to make me actually get a Switch launch month instead of waiting for Splatoon 2.

PSFan

If you're going to critical, you need to be fair.

First, even if a percentage, which we don't even know, of sales are scalpers, are those listings findings homes? You're basically throwing out an arbitrary percentage with no evidence.

Second, Reggie is in charge of NOA. Europe is not his terrority so he's not going to address those regions directly.

I get your skepticism, but skepticism has to be based on reasonable concerns.

My skepticism is because Reggie has been known to outright lie in the past.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
What if Zelda was packed in with the Switch lol

Not packing in 1-2 switch was a huge missed opportunity for Nitnendo.

While as a standalone game, it might not sell, but as a pack in party game you show your friends, it would have gotten a lot of extra buzz instead of being a sales disaster. I bet a pack with it being included will happen before Black Friday.

FTF

I mean if you pay attention to the hype behind it this is really no big surprise. Anyone who thought this would do Wii U numbers was fooling themselves.

People really thought it would do WiiU #s at launch? I thought it was just lifetime sales?

Maxinas

At the moment, I don't think we should totally judge how well ARMS will do after this infamous thread right here regarding Splatoon.

It's definitely an interesting wild card, for sure. It might not be quite as successful as Splatoon (fighting games don't have as much appeal as shooters for the most part) but it could still do well in its own right.

Hoping for at least 10+ characters, and plenty of customization "arms", stages, game modes.

unrealist

I love my Switch as much as my other consoles. I know everybody is somehow pinpointing out all the flaws (I wonder if some of them even own one). I am lucky to get a great set and it's excellent for what it does - gaming. The current library is small but which launch have an extensive one? I remember I sold my PS4 (now getting a Pro) because I was only playing Knack and Resogun (I played the rest on my PC).

I am kinda tired of all the ranting and negativity which is understandable to a certain extent, but it gets old. Sure, it is not the most powerful among the current ones, have some design woes etc. But it is still an excellent console and handheld. Competition is always good you know.

Numbers will drop quickly due to early lack of games but we should definitely see a resurgence during the holidays.

Hope all this means confidence for developers and more games.

Numbers will drop quickly due to early lack of games but we should definitely see a resurgence during the holidays.

Hope all this means confidence for developers and more games.
I also really hope we get numbers for the indie titles since it seems like Smipperclips did very well.

TAS

Totally deserved. Switch is amazing hardware and Zelda is the greatest launch title of all time.

Top Bottom