• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYC subway tunnel used by 225,000 people a day will shut down for 18 months in 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Link.

Starting in 2019, the L train between Manhattan and Brooklyn in New York City will be completely shut down for 18 months in order to repair the extensive damage wrought by Hurricane Sandy. It is the longest and most painful service disruption in the history of America’s largest subway system.

An estimated 225,000 people ride the L train between Manhattan and Brooklyn every day, which is more people than the daily ridership of Baltimore, LA, and Miami’s systems combined. The decision comes after months of public hearings and anxiety by the MTA, which had also considered shutting down just one of the tunnel’s tracks at a time for a much longer, three-year repair process. By opting for the quicker option, the agency is siding with riders who said in surveys they preferred the 18-month shutdown.

The L train tunnel, which is also known as the Canarsie Tunnel, suffered extensive damage during the 2012 storm that sent millions of gallons of corrosive saltwater from the East River into the tube. The damage includes tracks, signals, switches, power cables, signal cables, communication cables, lighting, cable ducts, and bench walls throughout a seven-mile long flooded section of both tubes.

The MTA says it will use the opportunity presented by the shutdown to give the L train’s stations a much-needed facelift, including installing three new electric substations to allow for the MTA to run more trains during rush hour.

The shutdown “cannot be avoided or delayed,” said MTA chair and CEO Thomas Prendergast. The MTA stressed the lengths it went to engage with riders who would be effected by the shutdown, including “four large-scale, interactive community meetings” attended by “hundreds” of straphangers. But there’s no doubt the L Trainpocalypse (as it has come to be known) is going to be incredibly painful for residents and businesses alike.

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
Fuck...

Negotiate some good rent for the next 18 months people!

CHC

Hoooooly shiiiiiiiiiiiiit. What a nightmare. I can't believe this is their best solution, but I guess what the fuck else can they do?

I use this all the time, so not a great situation at all.

Also lol @ 18 months.... MTA is fooling no one here, this will be closed for 4+ years.

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
It doesn't start for 3 years

Then in 3 years, negotiate a good 18 months!

You know that place is going to shed renters in the upcoming years as people want to avoid the hassle.

Harpuia

Maaaaaann. I had to endure the R train repairs for good long while. That shutdown was suffering for me, but the L train is a whole other level.

Gandie

An estimated 225,000 people ride the L train between Manhattan and Brooklyn every day, which is more people than the daily ridership of Baltimore, LA, and Miami’s systems combined.

That number seems insane for the number of people living in these three cities.

Crazy that it takes 18 months to repair damage from a hurricane, and nature could easily destroy it all again in one day.

Damn nature, you scary.

Crazy that it takes 18 months to repair damage from a hurricane, and nature could easily destroy it all again in one day.

Damn nature, you scary.

MTA didn't anticipate the huge increase in ridership over the past 15 years either. Lots of wear and tear from heavier trains.

pj

Banned
Hoooooly shiiiiiiiiiiiiit. What a nightmare. I can't believe this is their best solution, but I guess what the fuck else can they do?

I use this all the time, so not a great situation at all.

Also lol @ 18 months.... MTA is fooling no one here, this will be closed for 4+ years.

The R train tunnel repairs were finished ahead of schedule.

My guess is the repairs should take 1 year, but they know there will be delays and it will actually take 14-16 months. That still gives them a buffer to say "look how fast we finished! you're welcome!"

Xanathus

Sounds like a huge investment opportunity for the future, I imagine businessmen are already planning transportation/ride-sharing businesses for that shutdown.

Kill3r7

Imagine how shitty the traffic will be too, with all the added cars/taxis/ubers suddenly added to the streets.

Not really doable in the morning if you are trying to get to work on time. This is going to be an absolute nightmare. I feel really bad for friends of mine who have to rely on the L train to get to Manhattan for work. Then again, I am worried about my own commute into the city from NJ in a few years as the Penn Station tunnel is in desperate need of repair.

Busty

Banned
Finally, hipsters will get the chance to prove the viability of vintage unicycles made out of recycled metals in East Berlin as a mode of transportation .

I'll be working on this job; it was supposed to start next year, but got pushed back. Good money in my pocket, but it sucks big time for riders.

How feasible is it to bike to Queens and take the other routes there?

lol, at least I hope your rents go down significantly

br3wnor

Be super interesting to see how this affects the Brooklyn real estate along that line.

For people familiar w/ the line, if you normally take that to Manhattan are the only options the bus or a much longer subway ride?

numble

How feasible is it to bike to Queens and take the other routes there?

lol, at least I hope your rents go down significantly

It is just the tunnel portion of the train. They can still ride the L to connect with the other Manhattan-bound lines.

Marcy is gonna be fucking packed. I heard the L shit the bed this morning too. I guess Ridgewood will become the new hotness now?

Glad I live in Queens
Please dont fuck up NQR7EF

pj

Banned
Be super interesting to see how this affects the Brooklyn real estate along that line.

For people familiar w/ the line, if you normally take that to Manhattan are the only options the bus or a much longer subway ride?

It's only 18 months. One and a half lease terms. Rents may dip a little for that year, but I doubt there will be any lasting impact. If rents go down at all, it will attract a ton of people who either work in brooklyn or don't care about a longer commute.

My out-of-my-ass estimate would be 30 mins extra commuting on average. Each way

Then in 3 years, negotiate a good 18 months!

You know that place is going to shed renters in the upcoming years as people want to avoid the hassle.
I'm thinking about doing just that. Getting a good place for a year or two. Then bailing when the shutdown happens

But I doubt rent changes much

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom