• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MTA increases price for subway (base $2.75/Monthly $116.50) and LIRR/MN/Tolls/Bridges

Status
Not open for further replies.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
What's soul crushing and just maddening about this is how poor the service has gotten and yet they have the gall to raise prices. In the summer no air conditioning on the 1 train. Constant delays. Always skipping stations. Packed like sardines.

Just look at this shit from the L train:

How do people not die everyday getting pushed off platforms? It's only a matter of time.

And the busses aren't any better.

Lol holy shit. And I thought the 4/5/6 trains were packed to the brim.

akileese

A 4 percent rise on the Metro North trains is huge considering it was 362.00 when I was there last summer. That 30 day pass was under $300 the last time I worked in Manhattan from CT and it really wasn't that long ago (probably 6 years). When you consider Westport (where I used to live) charges $325 annually for their parking pass, you're taking about nearly $5,000 in commuter expenses per year if you need a monthly metro card. I'm really happy I got out of there when I had the chance.

Gallbaro

Banned
The problem is the local/state/federal government in NYC/State/USA like all over refuses to deal with the fact that our infrastructure sucks ass and needs an overhaul.

To a certain degree the MTA is fucked no matter what they do. They need big money. Our nation as a whole needs this money to fix roads/bridges/subways ect... Vs doing dumb shit with taxpayer funds like all of that foreign aid that we ship out across the global. Yo can we get some of that shit here please.
NYC gives too much to labor, and still has massive inequality.

Something is fundamentally wrong with the interaction of the government and labor in NYC. For no explainable reason a mile of subway in NYC costs twice a much as a mile in London. Compare it to the rest of London and it is more embarrassing. Compare it to Asia and it is what the fuck.

Also I saw no thread about the Port Authority's engineers declaring a new bus terminal would cost 11 Billion to build.

LaGuardia took over the BMT looking for a new profit center for the city, it was operating at a $0.05 fare profitably for 20+ years. Now it is the third largest debtor in the nation.

And to give you an honest idea of deferred maintenance, the MTA capital plan should be around 20 billion a year now, not 6, all the tunnels are at the end of their useful life.

ShowDog

$116 a month is peanuts compared to what a car, insurance and gas costs every month in other parts of the country.

It sounds like they need to raise the prices further to keep the system going.

Edit:
Was already paying 350+ a month for MTA. Fucking fuck.

Fuck.

Obviously I don't understand your system. I guess $116 doesn't give you unlimited access?

$116 a month is peanuts compared to what a car, insurance and gas costs every month in other parts of the country.

Edit:

Obviously I don't understand your system. I guess $116 doesn't give you unlimited access?

He probably has to take the LIRR or Metro North. MTA isn't just the subway.

Nakho

Edit:

That's the individual price though. That goes way up for families.

Schattenjäger;156897859 said:
People crying about this are also the same people that spend $5 a day on coffee

I don't spend any money on coffee and I'm still pissed about it.

Seems like it just went up 25 cents, and the subway seems to get worse every day. Especially the 4/5/6. Maybe when the 2nd avenue line is finished in 2075, it'll help.

SinOfHeart

Neo Member
Still cheaper than what I pay to ride the BART to and from work daily in San Francisco, which is $4 each way. Also, BART doesn't have anything like an unlimited pass, the best you can do is pre-tax commuter funds (which is capped at which point you have to pay with taxed income) and then pay to put a large block of money onto a clipper commuter card which reduces the cost each way by 10% or something I think. BART also isn't a flat rate (which is something I also miss from NYC).

Gallbaro

Banned
Still cheaper than what I pay to ride the BART to and from work daily in San Francisco, which is $4 each way. Also, BART doesn't have anything like an unlimited pass, the best you can do is pre-tax commuter funds (which is capped at which point you have to pay with taxed income) and then pay to put a large block of money onto a clipper commuter card which reduces the cost each way by 10% or something I think. BART also isn't a flat rate (which is something I also miss from NYC).
And Bart has those nasty fabric seats, still?

njr

Sure, I may be able to afford the extra $4 a month or $.50 a ride, but there's a massive amount of people who live on substantially lower wages in which this does affect them. Either way this isn't a good thing if prices are rising and it still does nothing but sustain what we already have now.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
The problem is the local/state/federal government in NYC/State/USA like all over refuses to deal with the fact that our infrastructure sucks ass and needs an overhaul.

To a certain degree the MTA is fucked no matter what they do. They need big money. Our nation as a whole needs this money to fix roads/bridges/subways ect... Vs doing dumb shit with taxpayer funds like all of that foreign aid that we ship out across the global. Yo can we get some of that shit here please.

Yeah, but we can't figure out how to build this shit without it costing a fortune. It's fucking absurd how much any goddamned infrastructure project costs these days.. and to watch it be done is like watching paint dry.. slow.. slow slow.

I'm on the west coast, and Oregon and Washington just spent $175 million to NOT build a bridge.. because they couldn't decide on how to do it. That's $175 million spent, and nothing of value was made. Well, it was to replace a bridge.

The cost of the bridge was probably going to be $3 to 4 billion. Oh.. and the fact it'd probably do jack shit to eliminate traffic through Portland.. as it drops to 2 fucking lanes just a mere 3 or 4 miles down the way through the heart of Portland. 2 fucking lanes... Interstate 5. 2 lanes!!!!

Of course our city is so stupid that we allowed shit to build close to the freeway, so widening it would cause massive issues. So we're stuck.

It's insane to think what some of the dams, massive water projects, etc would cost in today's world. Just the underground system in NY would probably cost half our goddamned GDP these days. I'm kidding with that number either.

SinOfHeart

Neo Member
And Bart has those nasty fabric seats, still?

They are phasing those out with an easier to clean fabric, but there are still some with the fabric seats (which are indeed nasty). I mostly just stand when riding though.

There are plans for a new set of trains, which they've had physical demos of, but I think it is still a ways out till the fleet will actually be upgraded.

Bleepey

As a Londoner I have to ask you NYers what you're bitching about. A zone 1 (city centre) travel card is like £30 by itself

Terrell

Wow, and here I keep getting told that Vancouver's transit system is terrible because of fare hikes and gas taxes paying for jacked-up CEO salaries, but at least we have viable major system expansions, mostly regular service and a comparatively clean set of trains to show for it.

Makes all that bitching and moaning here in Vancouver about the proposed tax increase of 0.5% for a massive service expansion seem like petty bullshit in comparison.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
everytime i hear that nys mta has raised their prices, i fear la will do the same, and we just got a price hike this fall

DedValve

Banned

people who generalize are also people who have absolutely no idea what they are talking about.

Yay generalizations!

Pics_nao

Thank god I drive now. From my grandmother's in Brooklyn to school in Queens costed me $10 a day round trip. I don't even wanna know how much the extra $.25 would cost me for a week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom