• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYC subway tunnel used by 225,000 people a day will shut down for 18 months in 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Infinite

Man, that sounds even worse than the disaster with the DC Metro. I grew up in Brooklyn along that line and it was pretty crucial to get me to school and back. If you live any farther along the line than Livonia ave. you're kind of fucked too because there's no other train lines that run to that area in Brooklyn.
The 3?

Fuck and I thought we had it bad in Glasgow with our Underground being closed for 'essential maintenance' for 6 weeks. 18 months?!

Although they did announce today that the reopening has been delayed by 2 more weeks.

Busses are shite!

Geez I'm looking at grad school in NY by 2018. I plan to be in Manhattan for most of the time and then I might stick around and find work in the area.

Would it be smart to own a car in NYC?

Geez I'm looking at grad school in NY by 2018. I plan to be in Manhattan for most of the time and then I might stick around and find work in the area.

Owning a car in Mahattan is quite possibly the stupidest thing you can do unless you absolutely need it.

It's not smart but it's definitely convenient.

Just be ready for Scratches and dents... I purchased my brand new Altima, and within a short periods of time. My bumper was scratched up by people who can't fucking parallel park.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
As I said before, I have to give the mta credit on this with. The R shutdown came in under schedule for similar work and the same funding scheme.

Do not assume this work goes over.

The people in the booths aren't the people laying track.

I dunno why everyone in this thread keeps ignoring the fact that the MTA already successfully completed a project identical to this one ahead of schedule

One project doesn't wipe away their previous history of slow rollouts and delays.

Since I'm planning my move to NYC I am looking at bikes. Isn't there also a city wide shared bike service? Is that good or do people just have their own?

Citibike is alright but those bikes are built like tanks. Depending on how serious you are about biking around town you may want to look into getting your own.

BkMogul

One project doesn't wipe away their previous history of slow rollouts and delays.

This is something that has been widely debated front to back for awhile now, so it'd be in their best interest to get it up and running ASAP once repairs begin.

At least there are options like the M and A trains but I do understand the frustration this will cause. At the least, they better add additional trains on those lines to prepare for the impending chaos.

pj

Banned

No, but not all projects are the same.

Was there a large scale tunnel repair that they fucked up?

The fact that it's taken 70 years to get the first phase of the 2nd ave train almost done or that new stations take too long to complete doesn't mean that a well understood tunnel repair with adequate funding and few potential roadblocks is also going to be delayed.

This is going to be one of the most scrutinized projects they've had in a while. Unless they discover something crazy like the tunnel itself is compromised, I really don't see this taking longer than they time they've allotted.

CHC

Well, I think that situation was more an issue of funding than competence in execution.

Daddy warbucks is footing the bill for this L train business. They already plan on basically gutting and redoing the entire tunnel, and they have experience in repairing sandy damage, so it's unlikely that there will be any big surprises.

Hope so - I'm just jaded and bitter.

datruth29

MdONJJz.png

If you live around Livonia or Sutter, sure, but beyond that no other trains really service you at a decent distance. There's nothing past New Lots, where the hell are those people suppose to go???

pj

Banned
MdONJJz.png

If you live around Livonia or Sutter, sure, but beyond that no other trains really service you at a decent distance. There's nothing past New Lots, where the hell are those people suppose to go???

The L still runs in brooklyn, it just terminates at bedford.

L train taking Ls.

But at least it's being closed for a good reason, unlike here in DC, where we have to close simply because we don't take care of shit and apparently half the people working for Metro just don't do anything.

nabil2199

Ile de france's (paris region) RER line A is undergoing some planned works for a month starting yesterday (and will do so every year until 2019) it's the busiest line in france and europe with over 1.2 million passengers a day. So I can tell you, it's going to be painful.

Fallback lines are so crowded I'm thinking of doing some remote work this summer.

From what I understand, that was a different proposal. They would have the trains running on limited service, but the repairs would take over 2-3 years. The 18 month proposal requires shutting down the L train in it's entirety.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/05/nyregion/shutdown-or-less-service-mta-weighs-2-options-for-l-train-project.html

Nope - the 3 year plan involved limited service in Manhattan and normal service in Brooklyn, the 18 month proposal has no service in Manhattan and normal service in Brooklyn.

dramatis

Ile de france's (paris region) RER line A is undergoing some planned works for a month starting yesterday (and will do so every year until 2019) it's the busiest line in france and europe with over 1.2 million passengers a day. So I can tell you, it's going to be painful.

Fallback lines are so crowded I'm thinking of doing some remote work this summer.
That's kind of inevitable considering the flooding you guys got a month or two back.

I think everywhere public transportation systems near sea will have to consider what climate change is going to do to their systems, it's certainly not isolated to NYC or Paris alone.

nabil2199

That's kind of inevitable considering the flooding you guys got a month or two back.

I think everywhere public transportation systems near sea will have to consider what climate change is going to do to their systems, it's certainly not isolated to NYC or Paris alone.

Well actually for once they are doing it to enhance the metro system as it's part of a much bigger programme.
But it's gonna get bad before it gets better.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Man, the L is like literally the only line I use, other than taking the 4/5/6 down from Grand Central to Union Square so that I can get on the L.

pj

Banned
From what I understand, that was a different proposal. They would have the trains running on limited service, but the repairs would take over 2-3 years. The 18 month proposal requires shutting down the L train in it's entirety.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/05/nyregion/shutdown-or-less-service-mta-weighs-2-options-for-l-train-project.html

I don't think any proposal ever considered shutting the line down entirely, that makes no sense. The 2-3 year proposal involved limited brooklyn<->manhattan service. They've never talked about taking the whole line down.

Under this proposal, L train service will run normally in Brooklyn from Canarsie to Bedford Avenue, where the line will terminate. There will be no L train service to and from Manhattan, and those stations will also be blocked off (the First Avenue stop will be refurbished as part of the Canarsie closure).

There's nothing wrong with the tracks between canarsie and bedford, and the train yard is accessible so theres no reason to not keep that segment going.

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2016/07/l-train-is-officially-going-to-shut-down.html

Kamek

Finally, hipsters will get the chance to prove the viability of vintage unicycles made out of recycled metals in East Berlin as a mode of transportation .

Yo lol. I live off the A, and I'm scared my train will be fucked because those going i to the city from junction on the L will now take the A.

pj

Banned
Yo lol. I live off the A, and I'm scared my train will be fucked because those going i to the city from junction on the L will now take the A.

Yeah, plus people will take the G and transfer to the A at hoyt schermerhorn (my station).

There's already a ton of people who transfer there. Every time a G rolls in, it empties and ruins my chances of getting a seat on the A. It's only going to get worse with all those williamsburg folk.

datruth29

I don't think any proposal ever considered shutting the line down entirely, that makes no sense. The 2-3 year proposal involved limited brooklyn<->manhattan service. They've never talked about taking the whole line down.

There's nothing wrong with the tracks between canarsie and bedford, and the train yard is accessible so theres no reason to not keep that segment going.

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2016/07/l-train-is-officially-going-to-shut-down.html

OHHHHHHHH! That's not nearly as insane. Still inconvenient as hell.

Also, A, J, and M trains are already packed during the morning and afternoon. I can only imagine how bad it's going to be when this shut down kicks in....

This outage was long expected, so it's not a surprise. You can almost guarantee it will take well over 2 years because the MTA employs some of the slowest workers in the history of humankind. Sucks for those people on the L. I could never live in a place that was totally dependent on one train. Scary.
It will be done under schedule, and how would you know how fast MTA workers should rebuild underwater tunnels?

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
If the #7 Train ever shutdown like this, the City would become Apocalypse central

Thank fuck, we get regular maintenance

Goddamn. Moving back to NY next year. Thankfully won't be in the Bronx this time. Beacon bound, baby.

Still, this is crazy. Most people I know don't even have cars.

hbkdx12

As someone who lives in East New York and rides this train as my main way of getting into the city, this hurts.

My only option for train service at this point would be to either take the 3 or go all the way to broadway Junction and take the A. *shutters*

This would hurt less if i could honestly believe they'd get this done in 18 months.

Plus, who the hell knows what'll happen between now and 2019 that may impact their plans and it's viability.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom