• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYTIMES: Apple vs Google, Battle for the Future Is Getting Personal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tobor

Pimpwerx said:
Wrong on so many levels. Android multitasks and is more customizable than the iPhone. It's also open-source, so we have tons of ROMs out there. Google is ahead of Apple when talking about the user experience. PEACE.

This is exactly why some of you guys are so mystified by the mainstream. You're confusing the power user experience with the normal user experience.

A buddy of mine bought a Droid last weekend, and the girl at the Verizon store took the phone and said "I need to install an app for you. You're going to need it". Of course, it was Advanced Task Killer. I've heard similar stories here on GAF. That is not an example of being "ahead in the user experience."

LCfiner

wave dial said:
If it's like the browser, there won't be much of a difference between the two.

the difference is that on a chrome OS, just like the iPhone OS, you can’t install whatever you want and modify the OS how you like.

every app is sandboxes into a webpage. yes, it can use all the new web technologies out there to make pages more dynamic, but there is no writing to the hardware, at all.

it’s very much a closed, simplified experience.

The only thing more pathetic than CORPORATE WARZ are the chode fanboys that take up the fight as well.

More competition is good, especially if it is against Apple. Their rampant price gouging is an example of a lack of competition. Maybe Google won't be such a pushover like Microsoft was.

wave dial

Completely unable to understand satire
LCfiner said:
the difference is that on a chrome OS, just like the iPhone OS, you can’t install whatever you want and modify the OS how you like.

every app is sandboxes into a webpage. yes, it can use all the new web technologies out there to make pages more dynamic, but there is no writing to the hardware, at all.

then just use chromium os then... then you can modify Chrome OS to fit what you want

Matt_C

Mecha_Infantry said:
As consumers we really shouldn't feed into this corporate hype

I have a mac and promote macs, I use Google and have a Nexus One. Everything else doesn't concern me unless their directly and personally provide a service just to me. Since they don't they can duel it out and what not
Leo, is that you?
Leo Laporte is known to use Mac's and has a Nexus One.
;)

esquire

Has waited diligently to think of something to say before making this post
People are fickle and it's fashionable to play the role of the contrarian.

Everyone just roots for the perceived underdog.

This isn't as important as the New York Times is making it out to be.

Tobor

esquire said:
People are fickle and it's fashionable to play the role of the contrarian.

Everyone just roots for the perceived underdog.

This isn't as important as the New York Times is making it out to be.

esquire
Has waited diligently to think of something to say before making this post
(Today, 12:10 PM)
Reply | Quote

The wait paid off. Excellent post.

LCfiner

wave dial said:
then just use chromium os then... then you can modify Chrome OS to fit what you want

The core of Chrome OS, as it will be delivered to customers, is that every app is a webpage and is locked down.

programmers who take the base OS and then rewrite everything to make it a normal linux distribution aren’t going to be selling this system to people. it’s a non factor. sure, it’s great that they can do it, but it won’t be what Google pushes to the public and it won’t impact Google’s vision of the OS as a bunch of sandboxed webapps.

Chrome OS is being sold as a web based OS. that’s what it is.

if you prefer a more open user experience, Google has this lovely Android OS that will surely be installed on tons of netbooks and tablets for you to buy.

LCfiner said:
Also, the c64 was a lot more open than the nes. So that choice has been available to consumers in the past.
And the PC is a lot more open than any modern console - I don't see what you're getting at?

Blackhead

Redarse
MightyKAC said:
If I had to take a (uneducated ) guess I'd based on what I read from the article , I'd say that Job's is watching this whole scenario and seeing what happened to the mac in the late 80's happening all over again with the Iphone. And it looks like he's willing to do just about anything to keep it from happening.
But in the '80s Apple sued Microsoft and it didn't get them anywhere so why is Jobs so stupid to think that the courts are the right way to handle this again?

The sad scenario would be if Android overtakes iPhone OS and, after a couple more years of Job's personal politics clearly getting in the way, the old man gets forced out again.

Dilbert said:
Oh, I think this does sound personal. There are business reasons, sure, but I think Jobs is probably personally offended at the nonstop crop of imitators. Remember what he said about Microsoft?

That sounds like the same situation with Google. The various Android phones, however good, are basically a "me too" implementation of the iPhone, but without the attention to detail and end user experience which is so personally important to Jobs.
Do you have a link for that quote? Useful reference for the future...

Brera

Banned
The Android Vs iPhone debate troubles me.

On one hand, I cannot stand Apple fanboys or Steve Jobs, but on the other hand, I love the iPhone and love the way Jobs runs Apple. Everything is personal and everything must be an epic battle of egos. Love it!

On the other hand, I love how Google work as well. Google is the Apple of my generation.

Bluth

LCfiner said:

There is a huge difference between the how Chrome OS is "closed, and how the iPhone is "closed".

Tobor

SnakeXs said:
Yeah, like I said, this is more of a "hey don't use our patents without permission" thing. Has any information come out that leads one to believe that Apple isn't willing to license it and wants it all to themselves?

Quite the opposite, actually. They have licensees, we just don't know who, or what exactly they've licensed. It's all sealed in the court documents.

EDIT: I'm not referring to multitouch, but to the patents in the HTC lawsuit.

Blackhead

Redarse
SnakeXs said:
Yeah, like I said, this is more of a "hey don't use our patents without permission" thing. Has any information come out that leads one to believe that Apple isn't willing to license it and wants it all to themselves?
Er, that Apple told Google to not add multitouch to Android (no offer of licensing were forthcoming then) as that NYTimes article in the OP tells us? And that Google respected those wishes, even well past when it had become a huge competitive disadvantage?

If anything I should be asking where you got this impression that Apple is willing to share the technology. They've emphasised their patents since Day 1 and are being aggressive about defending it.

Chittagong

Gold Member
SnakeXs said:

Well if not exactly conclusive evidence, I'd say there is at least smoke

http://techcrunch.com/2010/02/02/apple-google-multi-touch-android/

Lee Lloyd said:
Also, no one currently using multitouch gestures is licensing them from Apple, because Apple refuses to do so. Nokia tried to play nice and work out a cross-licensing deal with Apple, and Apple refused, preferring instead to completely ignore the several Nokia GSM patents they are willfully infringing. Motorola tried to play nice and cross license, and Apple refused, preferring instead to ignore the several Motorola base phone patents they are infringing. Palm didn’t even try to play nice, and flat out told Apple that they would welcome any legal action by Apple, as the iPhone infringes on a staggering number of Palm UI patents

Parallax Scroll said:
Go Google!

The fact that Google is positioning Android as an open platform makes picking a side in this dispute easy.

Yeah but will Stephen Colbert use an Android based tablet at an awards show like he did the iPad?

Thought not.

pmj

SnakeXs said:
So it seems they're not, but even if they were, licenses like this defeats the purpose of Free software. The idea is that anyone can access, modify and run the source code with no legal worries, but it doesn't work if Apple has only authorized Google to use certain features, and not you.

Charred Greyface said:
If anything I should be asking where you got this impression that Apple is willing to share the technology. They've emphasised their patents since Day 1 and are being aggressive about defending it.
Patents are licensed for use by other companies. Having a patent on technology does not mean you control it and never let anyone else use it.

Google recently patented location-based advertising on mobile devices. http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/google_patents_location-based_advertising.php

Blackhead

Redarse
Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
Patents are licensed for use by other companies. Having a patent on technology does not mean you control it and never let anyone else use it.

Google recently patented location-based advertising on mobile devices. http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/google_patents_location-based_advertising.php
He asked if there was any evidence then I pointed out evidence, found in the article, that clearly Apple doesn't want competitors to use it. I'm not saying that applies to every company or all holders of patents, just Apple in this particular regard.

What's with the head in the sands approach; posters all coming in here and making assertions that flatly contradict the article linked in the OP. 'It's not personal', 'Apple would share the tech' etc. Jeez, I know NY Times is quoting a lot of unnamed sources, and they aren't automatically right, but still, it's a piece from the Sunsay New York Times versus some random posters on a gaming board...

Charred Greyface said:
He asked if there was any evidence then I pointed out evidence, found in the article, that clearly Apple doesn't want competitors to use it. I'm not saying that applies to every company or all holders of patents, just Apple in this particular regard.
Telling Google not to add multi-touch is not Apple controlling a patent for no one else to use. There are multi-touch devices out there that aren't being attacked by Apple.

Charred Greyface said:
What's with the head in the sands approach; posters all coming in here and making assertions that flatly contradict the article linked in the OP. 'It's not personal', 'Apple would share the tech' etc. Jeez, I know NY Times is quoting a lot of unnamed sources, and they aren't automatically right, but still, it's a piece from the Sunsay New York Times versus some random posters on a gaming board...
Don't start getting snarky. You're reading into things, not quoting a solid source. I'm not saying you are wrong because knowing Apple it's probably true, but you can't vilify on assumptions.

Teddman said:
I liked Apple better when they were all about OS X and weren't trying to shoehorn iPhone OS onto all of their new products.
Because you can't buy a MacBook, MacBook Pro, MacBook Air, iMac, Mac Pro, Mac Mini, or Mac Mini Server with OSX anymore.

atkbob

Banned
Fumetsu said:
The ONLY reason anyone uses Bing is for the cash back deals.
No, the only reason anyone uses it is because it's the default in Internet Explorer. I've used it many times at school by accident, just because I'm used to having Google in the search bar.

Bluth

The Experiment said:
Yeah but will Stephen Colbert use an Android based tablet at an awards show like he did the iPad?

Thought not.

You buy just because a celebrity markets it? Come on.

Photon

Terrell said:
The fact that anyone would consider Bing as a viable alternative to Google for search is all the proof I need. However, if you insist...

Bing gained over 3% of search engine users in 6 MONTHS

With their attentions distracted, Google didn't bother to lock down its domination well enough to keep such rapid growth occurring with its newest competitor.

I don't think you actually read your own link.. Bing only gained from Microsoft switching off MSN search and Live search and redirecting them to Bing. Microsoft gained nothing:

p1w5e.jpg

2s7gzug.jpg

211rl8i.jpg

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Warm Machine said:
Lots of what Google offers can be found elsewhere. Google is just lighter and more well known. I appreciate what they do and think they are pioneers but everyone else is catching up.

A Mac product...only my iPhone is Apple and they is one too many even though I love the thing to pieces.
i dont think theres anything else out ther like streetview

and as for their browser, search, email, and phone. theyre just the best at what they do

Ignatz Mouse said:
You totally schooled him! His opinion is 100% INVALIDED!
I thought it was funny that Apple puts the iPhone OS in one new product, the iPad, and Teddman says "I liked Apple better when they were all about OS X and weren't trying to shoehorn iPhone OS onto all of their new products." Teddman rules.

Burger

Dan said:
Steve Jobs is a creepy cult leader.

Are there any sources, besides anonymous ones quoted in relation to things said by Steve Jobs ?

All of the interesting quotes in the story are from anonymous sources. Usually this is a way of dodging any sort of accountability, but it also allows you to say whatever you like.

I thought it was funny that Apple puts the iPhone OS in one new product, the iPad, and Teddman says "I liked Apple better when they were all about OS X and weren't trying to shoehorn iPhone OS onto all of their new products." Teddman rules.

And the iPod.

Regardless, it's his opinion. They do seem more focused on iPhone OS stuff lately.

Tobor

Wait until they start putting the iPhone OS on Macbooks. OS XI, believe!

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Ignatz Mouse said:
And the iPod.

Regardless, it's his opinion. They do seem more focused on iPhone OS stuff lately.

Maybe because they're launching a new product that's, for Jobs at least, very important?

It's not like OS X died, or Macs haven't progressed any longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom