• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Obama ending policy granting residency to Cubans who enter USA without visas

Status
Not open for further replies.

NastyBook

He probably will, but doing this will make his standing with non-Hispanic Cubans even worse. Reinstating this policy would be a blatant middle finger to all non-Cubans.
Chess, not checkers. Obama leaving all these wonderful gifts* for Trump

*Fuck yous

If the goal is normalizing relations between the two countries then it's a great thing. Also, Florida's Cuban community can go fuck itself.

Why don't you respect their feelings on this emotional subject? It just sounds like you're pro Cuban and anti Cuban-American. Both sides have their own good reasons to have strong feelings on this

mr2xxx

Banned
Will Cuban Americans keep voting Republican out of anger over this and Obama opening up talks with Cuba or will they slowly start turning Democrat as they too become the unwanted brown people in this country?

clemenx

Banned
What the fuck? What a slap to the face to people who literally give their life for freedom. Yeah! Fuck them for fleeing communism amirite?

Why don't you drop your pants a little more for Raul Castro, Obama?

This is sickening.

Valhelm

contribute something
Good, no more special privilege for no reason.
Should have done that 8 years ago though.

That wouldn't have given Hillary Florida. You need to be a resident for at least five years to be naturalized, and naturalized immigrants are unlikely to vote.

Recent Cuban arrivals are a lot less likely to support Republicans anyway.

What the fuck? What a slap to the face to people who literally give their life for freedom.

This is sickening.

Unless we extend this policy to all people living in countries with repressive governments, there is no reason to give Cuban migrants such absurd preferential treatment. Absolutely none.

jett

D-Member
With all the discussion about immigration during the elections I'm surprised this was never brought up.

Good. Cuban immigrants do not deserve preferential treatment over all other people fleeing third world poverty. This legislation was written to undermine a country that had the gall to reject American corporate dominance, and maintained because Cuban Americans generally vote Republican.

Funny enough, a lot of Cuban Americans support the idea of ending Wet Foot/Dry Foot. Some members of the initial wave of Cuban exiles looks down upon recent migrants, who tend to be poorer, browner, and more sympathetic to the Cuban government.

Ah yes, the good ol' "fuck you, I got mine" attitude. Cuban Americans truly are Republicans. :p

smurfx

get some go again
What the fuck? What a slap to the face to people who literally give their life for freedom. Yeah! Fuck them for fleeing communism amirite?

This is sickening.
i assume you are also in favor of giving residency to all immigrants then as opposed to just cubans.

With all the discussion about immigration during the elections I'm surprised this was never brought up.

Ah yes, the good ol' "fuck you, I got mine" attitude. Cuban Americans truly are Republicans. :p

Well then they shouldn't mind getting in line like everyone else then right? I mean that's what they consistently vote for.

Karkador

Banned
Will Cuban Americans keep voting Republican out of anger over this and Obama opening up talks with Cuba or will they slowly start turning Democrat as they too become the unwanted brown people in this country?

2012 Cuban-American vote was 53% Obama, 47% Romney
2016 Cuban-American vote was 41% Clinton, 54% Trump.

The Cuban-Americans are not a monolith. NeoGAF is almost as embarrassing on the topic of Cuba as it is about Venezuela.

norinrad

This is sickening.

I can't tell. Are you being sarcastic?

geomon

Hmmmm not sure what I think about this.

I know what to think about this, it's awesome and long overdue. This is going to do two things:

1. Limit people risking their lives by rowing over here in a rickety boat.

2. Limit illegal smuggling of Cubans into the US.

Just off the top of my head.

clemenx

Banned
i assume you are also in favor of giving residency to all immigrants then as opposed to just cubans.

Are immigrants from other countries fleeing a communist state where they will be imprisoned and God knows what else if sent back?

If so, yes.

I'm not american btw. I'm also from Latin America. I would never resent a Cuban for getting an "easy way" into America. If anyone resents Cubans because of that they're just ignorant.

I can't tell. Are you being sarcastic?

I'm not and Obama's legacy regarding Cuba is embarrassing.

Are immigrants from other countries fleeing a communist state where they will be imprisoned and God knows what else if sent back?

If so, yes.

I'm not american btw. I'm also from Latin America. I would never resent a Cuban for getting an "easy way" into America. If anyone resents Cubans because of that they're just ignorant.

Ah I see.

Well the US does not allow everyone to come in so only allowing Cubans make zero sense. It's saying "These people are good, but not these people."

I have a good amount of Cuban-American friends that family may not like this but it makes sense. I'm sure this was a net positive but it wasn't a fair policy. Now with the table cleared hopefully we can get good and fair policies regarding fleeing immigrants.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
It needed to end at some point.

Sorry to the hypocrite Cuban Americans that loathe unlawful Mexican immigrants escaping drug lords and corrupt governments but are more than okay granting anyone that comes here on a boat from Cuba visas and citizenship.

Cheebo

Banned

This is sickening.

Because it isn't fucking 1960 anymore. Cuba is a safe stable country now that is a growing ally of the United States.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker

image.php

Cheebo

Banned
Hahahaha oh wow. Ok,buddy.

Yes. Cuba. The beacon of progress.

I can't believe Fidel fucking won. lmao.

A lot has changed since the 1960's. We can trade with them again. We can travel there for vacations again. We have an embassy there.

We wouldn't have restored ties to this degree if Cuba was the communist dystopia some people imagine. Cuba is a growing ally of the USA.

Restablishing a friendship with Cuba will go down in history as one Obama's greatest achievements. You realize most in America APPROVED of the Obama Cuba policies right? It was a popular move that had majority support in polls. People here are smart enough to know the idea of people fleeing Cuba as if it some kind of danger in 2017 is pure fantasy.

Immagrating from Cuba is no different than immigrating from Europe, Brazil, etc and this policy change reflects that.

Karkador

Banned
A lot has changed since the 1960's. We can trade with them again. We can travel there for vacations again. We have an embassy there.

We wouldn't have restored ties to this degree if Cuba was the communist dystopia some people imagine. Cuba is a growing ally of the USA.

Restablishing a friendship with Cuba will go down in history as one Obama's greatest achievements.

This sounds like a selfish view, to assume that Cuba is doing okay because you can finally get something out of it.

Cheebo

Banned
This sounds like a selfish view, to assume that Cuba is doing okay because you can finally get something out of it.

They aren't okay because we can trade with them, we trade with them because Cuba is okay. We established trade and travel with them because Cuba is no longer the country it was during the Cuban Missile Crisis.

IrishNinja

honestly, it was long overdue - miami owes a lot to its cuban community, but it's always been shitty watching haitian & other 3rd world spots (often during points of political turmoil) denied, while this rule stood

From the viewpoint of many recent immigrants, Cubans in Florida dip their toes into hypocrisy quite often in their politics. They're the fuck you got mine of the Hispanic community, or at least that's how a lot of Latinos, especially recent immigrants, tend to view them. It's a generalization, I know, and unfair to those who defy this trend. But you can find plenty of Cuban Americans that despair at the viewpoints of their close relations.

if we're painting with a broad brush here....
i've absolutely seen this for most of my life, from both young & old (well, mostly old) cubans who don't seem to have much love for their immigrating countrymen. there's a lotta history here but while most of said community i've known has politically leaned right, the more they do so, the more that disdain seems to grow

temp

posting on contract only
Here's an overview by Salim Lamrani of what the policy was all about in the first place:

Indeed, Cubans who enter the United States illegally are welcomed with open arms, while illegal immigrants from other nations are immediately arrested and deported to the country of origin. This specificity is due to the historical commitment of the United States to use the migration issue as a weapon to undermine the Cuban Revolution [2].

In its war against Cuba, Washington had decided to use the migration issue to destabilize the country. In 1966, Congress-passed Cuban Adjustment Act is unique in the world : it states that any Cuban who immigrated legally or illegally, peacefully or by force, on 1 st January 1959 or later automatically obtains permanent resident status after a year and a day, as well as various social benefits (housing, work, medical care, etc.) as well as the possibility of obtaining the U.S. citizenship after five years [4].

Now, that was a great tool for inciting illegal emigration. Since nearly 50 years, the richest country in the world has opened its doors to the population of a small poor country of the Third World, with limited resources and victim, in addition, to extremely severe economic sanctions. In this logic, the U.S. Embassy in Havana had to concede a visa for all applicants for emigration under this law. But that was not the case. Instead, Washington severely limited the number of visas granted to Cubans each year to stimulate the illegal and dangerous emigration and exploit crises for political purposes. Thus, visaless Cubans wishing to emigrate to the United States were compelled to put their lives on makeshift boats, hoping not to be intercepted by the Coast Guard, or make long journeys across the continent, at the mercy of the people smugglers and criminal gangs of all kinds.

[Full Article]

Karkador

Banned
They aren't okay because we can trade with them, we trade with them because Cuba is okay. We established trade and travel with them because Cuba is no longer the country it was during the Cuban Missile Crisis.

A lot of it is actually the same exact things that were there at the time; buildings, infrastructure, cars, even the current president.

Any community that gets special privileges due to their disproportionate influence on the game theory surrounding the electoral college can go fuck itself.
What are you talking about? Please help me understand...

Many Cubans who fled their country's communist government and gained asylum in the US did it because they were fleeing a country that oppressed them, or they were hoping to give themselves or their children a better hope for the future in the US. I mean, I came here in an Airplane in '92 with my family... because my family won a Visa Lottery, the rest of my family came over during the 80's thru Mariel, and after that in those human trafficking speed boats. Does it seem like a special privilege? I can see how it can seem that way...

But I see how unfair it has been for other immigrants to want the same freedoms as us, Haitians, Mexicans, Jamaicans, any caribbean island folks, etc. But also their countries aren't classified as a "communist regime" that had trade and tourist travel restrictions with the US, which played a huge part in why those who fled were classified as Cuban "refugees" and not "illegal immigrants".

Just know although I see the immigration difference I also recognize it doesn't mean others who arent Cubans don't have a good reason to escape their respective countries and seek residency here in the US to make a living for themselves and their children just like Cubans.

But people in this thread who are shitting on Cubans that escaped because others don't get to, or because some Cubans who are in FL vote a certain way? That IMO is crossing the line by generalizing country's inhabitants who've become a part of this country.

Madness

This will be spun into something bad for Obama.

Yup. But crazy that Republicans were for Cubans escaping Castro for a better life in the US and being granted residency just for crossing the border but then being vehemently against Mexicans or Guatemalans eacaping the cartel or poverty and crossing the border for a better life themselves.

Going forward, it seems America is finally restoring normal relations with Cuba.

Kusagari

It's hilarious that the same people who go "Gays don't deserve special rights" are the ones who say Cubans fleeing from Cuba need special rights over every other immigrant.

Cybrwzrd

Banned
Call me crazy, but this could be interpreted as racist.

Anecdote time. I have business dealings with a Cuban owned company in Miami. All of the management there are Cuban immigrants. Naturally during the meeting they had to bring up Trump, and how they wanted a wall built to keep Mexicans out.

I just had to smile and nod as I was negotiating with them for better prices.

That water wall just got ten feet higher. It's going to make a tidal wave and block those cubans. It'll be a powerful water wall and go to California and send much needed water to their crops. It will be beautiful. Believe me. So much water will happen in California because of this water wall that everyone will get tired of water. Believe me.

Rommel

If the goal is normalizing relations between the two countries then it's a great thing. Also, Florida's Cuban community can go fuck itself.

II. Expected Behavior

NeoGAF is a forum for holding civil, evidence-based discussion. Do not post disingenuously, or in an inflammatory manner for the sole purpose of upsetting others. Negative commentary and minority opinions are not frowned upon, but members are expected to be able to substantiate their positions. At the same time, do not derail threads around yourself or attempt to respond to every single reaction among dozens after posting a comment that is reacted to severely en masse.

A. Language

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use NeoGAF to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise in violation of any law. Sexual, racial, or ethnic slurs will not be tolerated in any form and are bannable on the first offense. It is recommended that profanity be held to a minimum in order to keep the level of discourse high, and profanity should not be used when addressing others. Though NeoGAF is an international forum, discussion is to be held in English unless otherwise designated.

Seems cut and dry to me

Pastulio

Banned

As a Cuban American whose family came to this country, worked our asses off, and made something of ourselves for the past 50+ years. You can go right along and burn in hell you racist piece of dog shit. People like you are completely ignorant of other culture's struggles.

I look forward to the day the Trump administration votes your rights away, your privileges, and your freedoms. So when you look around in desperation for any kind of hope I can look you in the eye and tell you to Go fuck yourself.

Ted Cruz and Marco Rubio are going to fire some shots.

Those shots are going to be limper than bushes hand shake. Trump destroyed them with his first grade education and his tiny fists of doubt. They gonna say words? Trumps gonna lay the smack down on their candy asses with his mark ass tricks. Trick ass marks skip skaps and scallywags.

Wow that depressed the fuck out of me. They lost to someone who would fail first grade. Dear god. Wow this depressed me. Even Dwayne Elizondo mountain dew herbert had more of a vocabulary than trump. I need something to cheer me up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom