• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Hill: Trump to reverse Obama’s Cuba policy

Madness

Makes my blood boil. I swear these morons are the dumbest fucks in the world. As are all of his voters. Watch as no wall is built, no jobs return. So much for calling China a curre cy manipulator insteas it is the respected Xi Jinping. Rather than call Putin a killer he would call fellow Americans killers. Saudi Arabia which funds more fundamental Islamic terrorism than any other nation, and may have been partly responsible for 9/11, gets $110 billion in arms to kill Yemeni Houthi rebels and civilians.

Reverse the Cuba policy all because some dumb fuck senators and republican voters have egos that are bruised. Whatever.

Xe4

Banned
What a fucking idiot. And you know the only reason he's changing it is because Obama did it. We're going to need as many allies as we can get post-Trump, and this isn't helping.

Makes my blood boil. I swear these morons are the dumbest fucks in the world. As are all of his voters. Watch as no wall is built, no jobs return. So much for calling China a curre cy manipulator insteas it is the respected Xi Jinping. Rather than call Putin a killer he would call fellow Americans killers. Saudi Arabia which funds more fundamental Islamic terrorism than any other nation, and was directly responsible for 9/11, gets $110 billion in arms to kill Yemeni Houthi rebels and civilians.

Reverse the Cuba policy all because some dumb fuck senators and republican voters have egos that are bruised. Whatever.

WTF, Saudi Arabia was not directly responsible for 9/11.

sangreal

Future president's got to get in his two cents i.e. his remarks about Kushner.

For the record. I hope Warren or Harris runs so you folks down south don't have this blithering buffoon in office (Trump, not Booker).

But those remarks have nothing to do with this issue and neither does Booker. His only relation is being from the same state as Bob Menendez, who is an indicted criminal who actually supports Trump on this issue but is for some reason being spared in favor of dragging Booker

Madness

Okay, I was chanelling Trump who accused Saudi Arabia for being behind 9/11. But since you seem particularly offended I have changed it. Instead, a bunch of Saudi and Yemeni hijackers who lived in Saudi Arabia for a time, received funding and support from Saudi Arabia, and may have even had diplomatic support to enter the US because of SA, were not officially part of SA.

What a fucking idiot. And you know the only reason he's changing it is because Obama did it. We're going to need as many allies as we can get post-Trump, and this isn't helping.

of fuck yeah, they had a big hand in it

Boogie9IGN

Fuck me, I was hoping (along with my parents) to finally visit Cuba next year. My parents were getting pretty psyched to be able to show us where they grew up, see old friends etc ):

Derwind

What a giant baby, this literally does nothing positive and helps no one.

It would be petty and childish af, but I am more and more persuaded that for Trump it's really about revenge after the roast they gave him at a correspondent dinner a few years back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8TwRmX6zs4

He won't be happy until he tries to literally erase Obama's Presidency (which of course is impossible).

Ironically, the roast are just going to get worse for his Post-Presidency. The joke here is the legacy he leaves is morbidly hilarious enough as is.

Fuck me, I was hoping (along with my parents) to finally visit Cuba next year. My parents were getting pretty psyched to be able to show us where they grew up, see old friends etc ):
Yeah better do it soon. My ass wanna go to Havana after we opened the relations back up, better get me a ticket asap.

fuck. I'm planning to go around august and here goes this orange fuck rolling back more shit because a black man did it.

I hate this administration and anyone who supports it.

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2016/11/15/unlike-other-latinos-about-half-of-cuban-voters-in-florida-backed-trump/

Trump got 54% of the Cuban vote in 2016.

Probably is one of the main reasons he won Florida.

That's not entirely true. Look at what it says;

Two-thirds (67%) of the nation’s 1.2 million Cuban eligible voters live in Florida, with many living in the Miami-Fort Lauderdale-West Palm Beach area. But as Florida’s Latino eligible voter population has grown (reaching 2.6 million in 2014), the Cuban share of that population has declined to 31%. (The Puerto Rican share of the state’s Latino eligible population stands at 28%.)

Florida was once again a battleground state this year, which focused attention from the campaigns and nonpartisan groups on the Latino vote statewide. As a result, Latino turnout was up among early voters, according to news reports. And the Florida exit poll shows the share of the state’s voters who were Latino grew from 17% in 2012 to 18% in 2016.

While there is no exit poll data that shows how Cubans in Florida voted in 2008 or 2012, our National Survey of Latinos has found that Cuban registered voters have been shifting toward the Democratic Party for more than a decade.

The Latino vote was barely up, and the Cuban Registered Voters have been trending Democrat anyway. What is a notable shift is that Men were 47% of the vote in 2016 against 45% of the vote in 2012. Also, the White vote is interesting because if you compared the Exit Polls from 2016 and 2012, you would think more minorities voted, but look closely and you'll see in 2012 they only registered 3 categories; White, African American, and Latino at 67%, 13%, and 17% respectively (3% left over). In 2016 it's broken down a lot more with 5 categories; White, Black, Latino, Asian, Other at 62%, 14%, 18%, 2%, and 4% respectively. So while it looks like the White vote is down, it's actually not, considering in 2016 they actually bothered to break things down properly, leading to the percentage who identified as White being a bit lower, and Black/Latino coming up a point each.

Trump did way better than Romney with people who identified as White and people who said they had Some or No College Education. Trump thrived in the Panhandle, and flipped some counties that Romney lost.

lupinko

Yes, I hope he reverses that and only that. That was a huge mistake from Obama that he only did out of pettiness

The Castro regime is bad and all, but why should Cubans get special treatment over other refugees?

That was the whole point in reversing it. And Cuba compared to a lot of other autocratic or war torn states is nowhere near as bad.

JCG

You know, I'd actually welcome a reversal of policy if it actually meant effectively toppling the Castro regime as soon as possible by military force. Yet even this long after the Cold War the U.S. leadership still doesn't have the balls to simply invade the place instead of resorting to useless sanctions.

It wouldn't be a pretty sight, to say the least, but probably far less of a clusterfuck than what has happened after modern U.S. interventions in the Middle East.

Yes, I hope he reverses that and only that. That was a huge mistake from Obama that he only did out of pettiness

Yes, I'm sure the guy who is trying to build a fucking wall between us and our Southern Ally and publishing the names of illegal immigrants who allegedly commit crimes is going to make it a point to give Cuban ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS, preferential treatment. You realize how stupid that sounds right?

GrapeApes

If we're normalizing relations with Cuba we have to treat their people the same we would any other nation. Calling it petty makes it seem like you are not looking at this objectively. Are you Cuban? If that's the case I could see how you would want special treatment for your countrymen.

26243101.jpg

This graph says volumes for how Cuba has continued a strong and independent path in the absence of the biggest trading power in the world. We have a lot to learn from how they conduct themselves, and Trump wants to shut them out again...

Not that they need them, but they've been made a pariah for almost no reason.

Dierce

It is one of the most unfair policies the US had and I'm glad Obama got rid of it. Mexicans have more of a right of claiming protected refugee status in the USA than Cubans ever could because of the violence and chaos they live through. And not to mention that Cubans got citizenship outright. Double standards to appease the republican base. But that is to be expected, republicans consider Cubans whiter than Mexicans so their justification for citizenship is met.

JohnsonUT

You know, I'd actually welcome a reversal of policy if it actually meant effectively toppling the Castro regime as soon as possible by military force. Yet even this long after the Cold War the U.S. leadership still doesn't have the balls to simply invade the place instead of resorting to useless sanctions.

It wouldn't be a pretty sight, to say the least, but probably far less of a clusterfuck than what has happened after modern U.S. interventions in the Middle East.

Please don't run for government.

It is one of the most unfair policies the US had and I'm glad Obama got rid of it. Mexicans have more of a right of claiming protected refugee status in the USA than Cubans ever could because of the violence and chaos they live through. And not to mention that Cubans got citizenship outright. Double standards to appease the republican base. But that is to be expected, republicans consider Cubans whiter than Mexicans so their justification for citizenship is met.
Pretty much, Cubans got a leg up on so many different latinos in the us just cause. Whereas Puerto Rican's and Mexicans were constantly treated like shit.

JCG

Please don't run for government.

Don't worry. I am not good enough at lying and/or making unrealistic promises to become a successful politician.

I'd prefer a peaceful approach, mind you, but failing that...force would be the second best option. Stagnation only leads to suffering.

Karkador

Banned
Trump won Florida with the Cubano vote.

That's the point of this.

The data doesn't really support that, though.

Some argue that Cuban-American voters cost Hillary Clinton the state of Florida. Two conditions are required for this to be true: (1) Clinton's performance among Cubans would have to be unusually low and (2) Clinton would have won the state had she mirrored past performances among Cuban-Americans. The election results clearly show that Clinton surpassed Obama's totals, and as FiveThirtyEight pointed out, ”Cuban-Americans would have needed to vote for Hillary Clinton by an impossibly wide margin to swing the election her way, and Trump would have won the state if they hadn't voted at all."

Indeed, Cuban-American voters accounted for six percent (564,938) of the 9,415,638 Florida voters[10] who cast a ballot for President. Even if Clinton had improved her performance among them by 10 points, it's a gain of 57,000 votes—well short of her statewide deficit of 114,000. It's clear that while Cuban-Americans remain an important political constituency, they were not the deciding factor in Present-elect Trump's Florida win.

https://giancarlosopoblog.com/2016/12/20/final-analysis-of-the-2016-cuban-american-vote/

The Cuban American population isn't big enough at 6% (and residing mostly in large, blue cities anyway) to have really made the difference. As the article points out, Clinton actually made gains on the Cuban vote compared to Obama. What made a bigger difference, as in much of the country, was white non-Hispanics.

JohnsonUT

Don't worry. I am not good enough at lying and/or making unrealistic promises to become a successful politician.

I'd prefer a peaceful approach, mind you, but failing that...force would be the second best option. Stagnation only leads to suffering.

Well, there will be a new leader in 2018. Born after the revolution. Not sure how much US government even knows about him. Hopefully things change for the better.

Um, is no one going to question that the source of this is the Daily Caller?

I mean, I can see it happening (even though it would totally go against Trump's hardline immigration stance, but he's full of contradictions anyways), but shouldn't a more credible source be presented here?

Well, there will be a new leader in 2018. Born after the revolution. Not sure how much US government even knows about him. Hopefully things change for the better.

This is the man most think will be the new leader of Cuba:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miguel_Díaz-Canel

Some reading on his policies:

http://www.businessinsider.com/r-after-castros-death-attention-turns-to-cubas-heir-apparent-2016-11

The reality is that Raul will still lead the communist party and will still be in charge of the military so how much power will Canel actually wield to bring change?

There are many that think that Raul's son, Alejandro Castro Espin is being groomed for the presidency. Though given Fidel's insistence that Cuba not be governed by the equivalent of a Monarchy - many doubt it will happen.

The question still remains - come 2018 a Castro may not officially rule Cuba but unofficially? Let's say that I have my doubts that Canel will be little more than a figurehead.

Dai101

Banned

FUCK

THAT

It's like Step 1 is Undo everything Obama did (*Everything*), And then Step 2 is Implement a Totalitarian Theocratic Christian state. Jegus.

Tevious

So much for visiting Cuba the next time I visit family in Florida. Was hoping to do it next January when I have a long vacation.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
I'm still expecting Trump to reverse Obama killing Osama bin Laden.

He's gonna bring him back to life.
I lol'd

this is on the same level as my theory that it will be revealed Trump was born in Kenya and is secretly Muslim.

This is the exact stuff Hannity and others who have his ear have repeatedly called for. They have openly called for the reversal of everything Obama ever did to completely erase his legacy as a President.

They want Obama to be nothing more than a footnote in history oh yeah there was a black president who accomplished nothing.

On the bright side, at least Trump will lose Michigan after he shuts down GM and Chrysler.

Top Bottom