• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

October 2015 NPD (U.S. Hardware) Predictions - Closes November 10th

- No concrete numbers about Halo 5 sales from MS or 343i like for previous Halos.
- MS is pretty silent about this one.
- Low launch week sales in UK
- Uncharted bundle is in front of Halo 5 bundle on Amazon monthly chart, Abdiel's post about sales in Best Buy in his district, Gamestop sales in NYC

My prediction is that PS4 will win October.

[3DS] 60k
[PS4] 440k
[WIU] 30k
[XB1] 400k

If Xbone wins, than obvious reason is PS4 users bought Halo 5 bundle. :D

Btw. [Halo 5] 900k

That would be a really low number for Halo. Yikes, I hope it doesn't fall that far.

cakely

- No concrete numbers about Halo 5 sales from MS or 343i like for previous Halos.
- MS is pretty silent about this one.

The day is still young, I'm hoping we'll get some sort of PR announcement from Microsoft tonight concerning first week sales.

It really doesn't seem likely.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
It was obviously a personal slight against you.

Oh you <3

That would be a really low number for Halo. Yikes, I hope it doesn't fall that far.

Honestly... i starting to believe those numbers are likely for Halo... We know the MCC has sold 650k in November NPD in 3 weeks, and Halo 5 has sold only 50% more in UK during the first week.

Let's say MCC has sold 450k first week, 50% more should mean less than 700k... i know is only UK... but still... i starting to believe Halo 5 will be lucky to sell 1 million this NPD.

Anyway, i really can't see 1.5 million.

Oh you <3

Honestly... i starting to believe those numbers are likely for Halo... We know the MCC has sold 650k in November NPD in 3 weeks, and Halo 5 has sold only 50% more in UK during the first week.

Let's say MCC has sold 450k first week, 50% more should mean less then 700k... i know is only UK... but still... i starting to believe Halo 5 will be lucky to sell 1 million this NPD.

Anyway, i really can't see 1.5 million.

Damn. As a fan of the franchise, that would be a hard drop to bear.

Nearly 4 pm eastern here and still no press for Halo :/

I guess 8 pm at the latest?

I've given up hope. I don't think we're getting PR.

Tubie

I'm surprised no Halo PR yet.

I was sure they were gonna come out with something yesterday or early today.

I think this is the last thing I'm waiting for before making my prediction.

Yeah the lack of Halo PR has to be because it failed to echo Halo 3/Reach numbers or even anything close to that and thus isn't a shout from the rooftops sales phenomenon that would boost the Xbox One if communciated. If it even got close to doing traditional Halo-like numbers MS would be hammering all channels with it. The realistic and quite sad scenario is that Halo 5 vastly underperformed relative to expectations and therefore MS can't morph the sales in to a positive metric that would give them a marketing edge on the PS4. Hence the radio silence. MS are the masters of spin so I'm thinking the sales are so low they just can't spin this one. Quite sad if this is correct.

Real PR however that might still be coming would dispel all of this guesswork and speculation though so personally I'm hoping we get something soon to see how the game performed.

Also, it's not nice to give out Destiny user numbers right now while good old Halo tries to find something to write home about.

jbluzb

My prediction is that it is hovering below 1 million sales. If they hit 1 million NPD sales they could have tweeted it 24 hours after release but looks like there will be no Microsoft North America PR for Halo 5.

It is an eye opener on the slogan "greatest xbox games line-up in history" slogan than can barely sell 1 million copies.

Boke1879

But if they want the media to pick up the story, a sooner release would come in handy I guess.
If all they care about is Gaf, well, they can release whenever they want.

and lets be real. They can give two shits about GAF. If they want to release PR they better do it within the next hour.

Yeah the lack of Halo PR has to be because it failed to echo Halo 3/Reach numbers or even anything close to that and thus isn't a shout from the rooftops sales phenomenon that would boost the Xbox One if communciated. If it even got close to doing traditional Halo-like numbers MS would be hammering all channels with it. The realistic and quite sad scenario is that Halo 5 vastly underperformed relative to expectations and therefore MS can't morph the sales in to a positive metric that would give them a marketing edge on the PS4. Hence the radio silence. MS are the masters of spin so I'm thinking the sales are so low they just can't spin this one. Quite sad if this is correct.

Real PR however that might still be coming would dispel all of this guesswork and speculation though so personally I'm hoping we get something soon to see how the game performed.

This is a very likely scenario. And the lack of PR makes me quite certain that PS4 will take the month. No way the XB1 will be getting a sizeable boost from the title if it's failing to meet expectations.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
Hey guys!
What if Gears of War will become bigger than Halo this gen?

It's looks like there is a chance at this point... i honestly hope so, i like both games, but Gears of War is my second
Guess who is the first :p
favourite TPS of all times. :D

Fat4all

Banned
and lets be real. They can give two shits about GAF. If they want to release PR they better do it within the next hour.

Nah, they love Gaf. Major Nelson is on the board and everything and he's always talking about how much he lo-

Major Nelson said:
(because you dislike me, Xbox, Microsoft or a combination of the three)

... oh yeah.

This is a very likely scenario. And the lack of PR makes me quite certain that PS4 will take the month. No way the XB1 will be getting a sizeable boost from the title if it's failing to meet expectations.
Phase 1: Halo will be a Monster and boost sales like mad.
Phase 2: Halo will not move many consoles because the audience is already there.
Phase 3: Halo does not even sell enough Software to make good PR statements

Ha low can you go?

Hey guys!
What if Gears of War will become bigger than Halo this gen?

It's looks like there is a chance at this point... i honestly hope so, i like both games, but Gears of War is my second
Guess who is the first :p
favourite TPS of all times. :D

Vanquish?

Excellent choice.

Phase 1: Halo will be a Monster and boost sales like mad.
Phase 2: Halo will not move many consoles because the audience is already there.
Phase 3: Halo does not even sell enough Software to make good PR statements

Ha low can you go?

Phase 4: Titanfall outsells Halo 5 and provides a bigger boost MoM.

Boke1879

I still don't want to jump the gun even with the lack of PR. While Halo may not have sold like previous entries in the series. I'm know it still sold a lot.

Still a lack of PR right now is strange.

Elandyll

Banned
Mmmh, I was expecting something from Greenberg or Nelson by now... The NYSE closed 30 mins ago (granted if the numbers had been Earth Shattering we'd have had something last week on Thursday or Friday).

Still about 4.5 hrs until close of regular office hours in California afaik, but it's getting weird.

Has anyone noticed Amazon Monthly Charts keep changing? This is the first time I've seen that:

New October update:

20) Uncharted PS4 Bundle
25) Halo 5 LE XB1 Bundle
26) Star Wars LE PS4 Bundle*
42) CoD LE PS4 Bundle*
45) TLOU PS4 Bundle
57) Destiny TTK PS4 Bundle
80) Gears XB1 Bundle
90) Star Wars Standard PS4 Bundle*

*Pre-order

P.S.
Star Wars and CoD preparing to dominate November

This has all switched again, or switched back to what it was. Here is what it is now, and I would assume the final update, for October:

19) Uncharted PS4 Bundle
25) Halo 5 LE XB1 Bundle
39) CoD LE PS4 Bundle*
49) TLOU PS4 Bundle
59) Destiny TTK PS4 Bundle
77) Gears XB1 Bundle
89) Star Wars Standard PS4 Bundle*

Most of the consoles moved around a little bit, all except Halo and Star Wars LE Bundles.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/2015-10/videogames#1

Ryng_tolu

Banned
Vanquish?

Excellent choice.

Hemm... not really. :p

730d31ac34bd396ee8e6397b1163da57-98.jpg

But Vanquish is awesome too, really loved this game. :)
The only bad thing is that it has not the multiplayer, but the single player was very funny to play. :D

blakep267

Fat4all

Banned
This has all switched again, or switched back to what it was. Here is what it is now, and I would assume the final update, for October

Amazon charts are gonna drive SalesGaf crazy from now on.

Sure. Let's not act like the hundreds of posts calling his face creepy or using that smiling gif haven't been posted on this site ever before

People hate a lot of people for no reason on the internet. It's the internet.

Boke1879

This has all switched again, or switched back to what it was. Here is what it is now, and I would assume the final update, for October:

19) Uncharted PS4 Bundle
25) Halo 5 LE XB1 Bundle
39) CoD LE PS4 Bundle*
49) TLOU PS4 Bundle
77) Gears XB1 Bundle

Most of the consoles moved around a little bit, all except Halo and Star Wars LE Bundles.

Hmm so back to what it was before.

Boke1879

Looking at amazon hourly it's amazing how the COD LE PS4 is selling well. I would have suspected the Star Wars bundle to outpace it. Maybe that's because the game is out soon.

Still at a premium price that's pretty impressive.

wachie

Looking at amazon hourly it's amazing how the COD LE PS4 is selling well. I would have suspected the Star Wars bundle to outpace it. Maybe that's because the game is out soon.

The SW bundle will pick up pace closer to release and will get a massive bump again closer to movie release.

I still don't want to jump the gun even with the lack of PR. While Halo may not have sold like previous entries in the series. I'm know it still sold a lot.
I think we all still believe it sold a lot. It's unthinkable it didn't.
Where would be your red line between a lot and okayish?
We have to take into account that a title like halo should have lots of copies pre-ordered. So, being out just for a few days is not this relevant. A million should be a given, no?

Ryng_tolu

Banned

It has bigger pre orders though.

Amazon September 2015:
#17 / PS4 Star Wars

Amazon October 2015:
#26 / PS4 Star Wars
#39 / PS4 Call of Duty

Actually PS4 LE of COD is doing better because, like you said, the game will release soon, but during Battlefront release and Black Friday the Star Wars bundle will be bigger.

Both will sell like a lot.

Boke1879

The SW bundle will pick up pace closer to release and will get a massive bump again closer to movie release.

Yea no doubt both bundles will sell well.

I think we all still believe it sold a lot. It's unthinkable it didn't.
Where would be your red line between a lot and okayish?
We have to take into account that a title like halo should have lots of copies pre-ordered. So, being out just for a few days is not this relevant. A million should be a given, no?

A million should be a given. If it's less than that.. then I don't know. I know it was only on the market for like 5 days of tracking but still. Lots of sales are front loaded.

I'd be shocked if it sold something like 900k. Didn't TLOU sell 900k in it's launch month in NA? So I'd hope it make it over a million.

Yea no doubt both bundles will sell well.

A million should be a given. If it's less than that.. then I don't know. I know it was only on the market for like 5 days of tracking but still. Lots of sales are front loaded.

I'd be shocked if it sold something like 900k. Didn't TLOU sell 900k in it's launch month in NA? So I'd hope it make it over a million.

Anything less or close to a million would actually make it be approaching Gears of War status (if not GoW ahead of Halo).

I mention this before I think MS knows it has lost the month of October and also Halo underperformed. They will wait until the NPD and try to put another week of sales combine with the launch to make it look like a good PR. I expect a lot of talk of xbl usage, shoots fire and get played.

The million was just thrown out like that. Maybe even that should be counted as too low for the biggest IP of MS.
How many Xbox ones are sold in NPD-land? More than 4 mio., or? I always thought Halo would be the main reason to buy the box, so what are those people waiting for? Cuphead?

19) Uncharted PS4 Bundle
25) Halo 5 LE XB1 Bundle
39) CoD LE PS4 Bundle*
49) TLOU PS4 Bundle
77) Gears XB1 Bundle

Oh my, it happened again? How many times will they update October Charts? xD

The million was just thrown out like that. Maybe even that should be counted as too low for the biggest IP of MS.
How many Xbox ones are sold in NPD-land? More than 4 mio., or? I always thought Halo would be the main reason to buy the box, so what are those people waiting for? Cuphead?

About 8.1 million. 1 million would be low for a launch given that Halo historically launches with about 3 million sales in the opening month.

That's quite a drastic drop off.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
GEARS OF WAS FIRST NPD SALES

Gears of War 1 - 1,000,000 ( 3 weeks )
Gears of War 2 - 1,560,000 ( 4 weeks )
Gears of War 3 - 2,000,000 ( 2 weeks )
Gears of War: Judgement - 620,000 ( 3 weeks )

About 8.1 million. 1 million would be low for a launch given that Halo historically launches with about 3 million sales in the opening month.

That's quite a drastic drop off.
Thanks for the 8,1 (I am in team comma). I never used my brain for remembering numbers.
Okay then, a million would be shameful I feel. Maybe we can add some optimistic 20% online sales, but even then.
On the other hand... Does opening month mean "full month from launch on" or just "month when it launched?
In the former case there would be quite a lot of time left.

Javin98

Banned
Damn. As a fan of the franchise, that would be a hard drop to bear.
That's okay. Out of ten people who bought Halo 5, 9 of them bought it digitally while only one bought it physically, so even if it sells 900K in the US, the total is 9 million, since NPD doesn't track digital sales. ;)

Top Bottom