• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

October 2015 NPD (U.S. Hardware) Predictions - Closes November 10th

After those Halo sales I think is safe to say that MS lost the month. A Halo drop vs the price drop, I think Sony made all the right moves. If Tomb Raider fails there is always the posible cross over game of Uncharted and Tomb Raider. Would be cool to see Laura and Drake together in a game.

DieH@rd

Banned
The system still did solid numbers. Didn't set the world on fire, but I didn't feel like it was trying to. It gave it a unique option, and they didn't overship us a ton of them like I felt with the Halo bundles.

Since the start of this generation, it looks MS really likes to overship. But at least the holiday season is starting, there is time to sell that stock [before MS overships again :)]

BTW Abdiel, can you provide any anecdotal info about CoD split between PS4 and Xbone?

QaaQer

Say it's ain't so. So low for Halo?

Of course it is, by a fair margin. However, IMO, it is a result of h4 and the need to attract a new audience which which required modifications to the formula. I don't think it was possible to make the bungie halo generation and the cod generation both happy; and by not choosing one or the other the result was meh. With 5, the old fans have either left or come to terms with the march of time and so 343 can continue to modernize things without significant backlash.

I think ms is aware that Halo is no longer a cultural phenomenon. It is still a top tier fps franchise though and one of the crown jewels of their gaming IP. Sony has nothing in that vital space, absolutely nothing; so it is very important and will play a big role in getting next gen off to a good start. As such, I believe Spence when he says they are 'happy'.

I think ms is aware that Halo is no longer a cultural phenomenon. It is still a top tier fps franchise though and one of the crown jewels of their gaming IP. Sony has nothing in that vital space, absolutely nothing; so it is very important and will play a big role in getting next gen off to a good start. As such, I believe Spence when he says they are 'happy'.

Truth is Sony does not need a big FPS they have other IPs that just as big and they can let 3rd parties pick up the slack there .
Destiny is the perfect eg of this , the FPS genre change so much over past few years .

Hoo-doo

Banned
Yep, still think X1 has to take this month.

Halo might not be the juggernaut it was before, but it'll still move more units on day one than a 50$ pricecut will.

DieH@rd

Banned
If PS4 takes October in Halo month the NPD thread will be at Titanfall month level or more (100+ pages)

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=803922

spfxxc.gif

I could point you to posts by Nirolak and Nightengale talking about this. It was a desperation move to artificially pad out their anemic line-up in terms of diversity.

I don't think they cared if it will sell well, they just wanted a feather on their cap to escape the 'Xbox is the shooterbox' moniker (which they now seem to be proudly wearing, given Greenberg's recent interview) - in which case, Crystal Dynamics were the biggest losers here.
Do you mind gathering those posts?

It really is. This insistence on releasing games in the holiday window is really going to blow up in publishers faces (i.e. Tomb Raider) I just don't understand the reasoning behind it. There are 9 other months in the year with much less competition sales wise.

On a side note what are the software spots for CoD looking like so far for you Abdiel? Is the Xbox brand maintaining its strong grip on the CoD faithful or has it seemingly shifted with the advent of the new DLC/Marketing partnership?

Yep, people's insistence that Sony needed something for the holidays now seems foolish.

If halo is not the flagship game it once was, what will be the new one?

Perhaps Gears? It's hard to tell really without being able to pinpoint the exact factors for why Halo suffered this potentially large decline. (I'm assuming you're talking about for MS, if not, ignore me).

Edit: Also, I didn't really expect to see $299 deals for the PS4 this BF. Kind of makes me think that maybe they didn't win October (a stretch in logic, I know). God, I'm gonna be flip-flopping between who won so often this last week.

Don't they have two in that space? One of which sold two million in its first outing this gen. I don't think they need anything bigger when third parties cover it.

Yep, still think X1 has to take this month.

Halo might not be the juggernaut it was before, but it'll still move more units on day one than a 50$ pricecut will.

Maybe more PS4's will be purchased becouse its the more "popular" system? If that's the case, a $50 price drop will do wonders.

The difference always seemed to be that MS had a few very huge franchise and not much else, while Sony always had a wide portfolio of titles and genres. Maybe no title was as big as halo, but there were many (as in Bug's Life).
Imagining a roster for PS Allstars Battle or Kart is easily done. With Xbox that's getting difficult after character 8 or 9.

Now when one tentpole crumbles it's more difficult for MS to handle than for Sony.

with MS saying they will no longer talk console sales going forward, i think they were preempting for losing this holiday. The PS4 being the same price levels the only selling point the XB had left. I think they comfortably take Oct, Nov and Dec.

The difference always seemed to be that MS had a few very huge franchise and not much else, while Sony always had a wide portfolio of titles and genres. Maybe no title was as big as halo, but there were many (as in Bug's Life).
Imagining a roster for PS Allstars Battle or Kart is easily done. With Xbox that's getting difficult after character 8 or 9.

Now when one tentpole crumbles it's more difficult for MS to handle than for Sony.

Sony always had some big IP .
Before Halo used to get comapre to GT since they use to sell around the same ( look like both under perform ).
Gears sell around the same as GOW both of which last titles under perform .
But now Sony have TLOU and UC which are both 8 million sellers and many more 1 to 3 million sellers .

Does MS have any other IP that sells as much as TLOU or UC ?
Other than Minecraft .

Shin-chan

Well from a pure publishing standpoint it's Minecraft which will probably generate more revenue this year globally than Halo will (just a gues, maybe a very stupid one).

From a hardware pushing standpoint I don't really know. I suppose they could tie Minecraft to the system but that 1. Reduces the value of Minecraft in a ridiculous way and 2. Doesn't create a consumer base of hardcore Activision/Ubi/EA game buying gamers.

It's difficult for them to experiment because all of their studios are practically branded after the franchise they're tied to. Obviously this can be changed but it's clearly not their focus and would take time. Plus they can't just Magic a new Halo out of thin air - it was very special circumstances that made that franchise what it is.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
with MS saying they will no longer talk console sales going forward, i think they were preempting for losing this holiday. The PS4 being the same price levels the only selling point the XB had left. I think they comfortably take Oct, Nov and Dec.

Totally agree. MS know they can't win this time... not withouth another pricedrop, but seem that is not gonna happen.

QaaQer

Don't they have two in that space? One of which sold two million in its first outing this gen. I don't think they need anything bigger when third parties cover it.

I should have specified: multiplayer focused fps. And yes they have 3rd parties, but it is preferable to have your own exclusive IP.

Yes, I fear that the sales gap between the WW sales of the PS4 and Xbox One will begin to widen at a faster rate come next year...just an observation.

Edit: In my opinion, MS's best play at this point is to differenciate itself enough from the PS4 that PS4 owners would adopt it as a second console. I would love a good reason to own one myself but, with the exception of D4, Ori, and Crackdown, there just aren't enough exclusives I would like to justify the purchase at this point.

jjonez18

Yep, people's insistence that Sony needed something for the holidays now seems foolish.

Well it certainly doesn't hurt to have something besides a couple Japanese games and a remaster collection. XB1 could be doing god awful numbers had it not been for their "Greatest Lineup In Xbox History". On the opposite end PS4 could be doing historic numbers had Uncharted and maybe R&C hit between October and November. I'm talking like 500k October(R&C+pricedrop opens up a new, younger demographic) and 1.5m November(Blockbuster franchise in Uncharted along with bundles and holiday pricing).

Tomb Raider is in a weird position of being an exclusive multiplatform game. It's being ignored because it's not close to Xbox or its NA demographic. A 1st party exclusive like Uncharted would not have been drowned out in November, even if it was launching on Nov 10 same as TR/Fallout.

Edit:
Kinect Sport. :p

Lol.

I should have specified: multiplayer focused fps. And yes they have 3rd parties, but it is preferable to have your own exclusive IP.
Eh, the shooter space is difficult to breach. Sony practically has every other genre covered. It is fine for them to ride on the juggernauts in the shooter space.

Boke1879

Perhaps Gears? It's hard to tell really without being able to pinpoint the exact factors for why Halo suffered this potentially large decline. (I'm assuming you're talking about for MS, if not, ignore me).

Edit: Also, I didn't really expect to see $299 deals for the PS4 this BF. Kind of makes me think that maybe they didn't win October (a stretch in logic, I know). God, I'm gonna be flip-flopping between who won so often this last week.

I think those $299 deals are just that and should be read into who sold more for the month of October. That's not how companies make their decisions. Xbox also has $299 console on BF and they have killer deals going in right now

Before Halo used to get comapre to GT since they use to sell around the same ( look like both under perform ).
But now Sony have TLOU and UC which are both 8 million sellers and many more 1 to 3 million sellers .

Other than Minecraft .
I don't think GT6 and GoW Ascension should be used to represent those brands on the PS4.

blakep267

Other than Minecraft .
uncharted And GOW lifetime sales as of probably last year were 21 mill each and Gears was at 22 mill. Now granted UC4 is probably gonna sell more than gears 4 but the franchises are relatively in the same ball park.

I think those $299 deals are just that and should be read into who sold more for the month of October. That's not how companies make their decisions. Xbox also has $299 console on BF and they have killer deals going in right now

Yea, I figured as much (well aside from forgetting about the 299 X1 deal, lol). It needs to be Thursday already.

super6646

Banned
I've heard concrete information that Halo 5 launch numbers will be some of the lowest yet. Like 1.4-1.5M low. I'm willing to polygraph with an admin if need be, I've seen how inside information is dealt with here :p

First day or first week? Cause I doubt with 400 million in sales FW, Halo 5 barely did 100 million by itself. Either way, I have a gut feeling this is a cboat 2.0, when he said the XB1 won by 13k...

Edit: This was US retail sales...

Plus digital (25% attach rate) that's 2 million, then another 1 million for the rest of the world through all sources, yep its around 3 million FW. Carry on, this isn't big news.

blakep267

First day or first week? Cause I doubt with 400 million in sales FW, Halo 5 barely did 100 million by itself. Either way, I have a gut feeling this is a cboat 2.0, when he said the XB1 won by 13k...
It'd be hard to figure out without knowing how much the bundle did. If for example it sold 300k units( which I think is a lot), that's 150 mill. So there's 250 left over for controllers, req packs and copies sold

uncharted And GOW lifetime sales as of probably last year were 21 mill each and Gears was at 22 mill. Now granted UC4 is probably gonna sell more than gears 4 but the franchises are relatively in the same ball park.

The difference between gears and UC is UC grow with each number .
The total sales don't tell you the full story plus UC is 3 games at 21 million .
Is gears 22 million with the fourth game counting in ?

I don't think GT6 and GoW Ascension should be used to represent those brands on the PS4.

Just trying to be fair but i know the events not the same .

Bgamer90

Banned
After those Halo sales I think is safe to say that MS lost the month. A Halo drop vs the price drop, I think Sony made all the right moves. If Tomb Raider fails there is always the posible cross over game of Uncharted and Tomb Raider. Would be cool to see Laura and Drake together in a game.

The thing that's tough about this is due to us not knowing the breakdown of money from Microsoft's statement, it's hard to tell how many $500 Halo consoles were sold. We know Halo 5 didn't have as big of a launch as what Halo got back 7-10 years ago. Would that also mean then that the Halo consoles sold are higher than many expect or does sales from DLC balance things out? A lot of questions though I do believe October will at least be a 400K month (pretty easily). Just wondering if things may possibly get close to 500K (or even higher) if Halo bundles made up a really significant chunk of the figure MS stated for Halo 5 software and hardware.

I doubt the majority of those people care about sales and simply want more than just mostly yearly third party games (that I'm guessing they don't care much about) to play.

The Xbox 360 got criticism for doing the same during previous Holiday seasons last gen so PS fans (as well as people who moved over to PS4 after owning a 360) probably want to have more than just a lineup of multiplats this time of year.

The thing that's tough about this is due to us not knowing the breakdown of money from Microsoft's statement, it's hard to tell how many $500 Halo consoles were sold. We know Halo 5 didn't have as big of a launch as what Halo got back 7-10 years ago. Would that also mean then that the Halo consoles sold are higher than many expect or does sales from DLC balance things out? A lot of questions though I do believe October will at least be a 400K month (pretty easily). Just wondering if things may possibly get close to 500K (or even higher) if Halo bundles made up a really significant chunk of the figure MS stated for Halo 5 software and hardware.

I doubt the majority of those people care about sales and simply want more than just mostly yearly third party games (that I'm guessing they don't care much about) to play.

The Xbox 360 got criticism for doing the same during previous Holiday seasons so PS fans (as well as people who moved over to PS4 after owning a 360) probably want to have more than just a lineup of multiplats this time of year.
Well good thing they had more options than multiplats am i right?

LetTheWookieWin

Neo Member
In 5 days keyboards will melt and touch screens will crack. Logically one would think with Halo 5 it would be a clear win for MS but I'm not sure this time. I actually think it's going to be by the nose for October, and if it is really close I don't see how MS is going to run away with the holidays this year.

Kyoufu

The Xbox 360 got criticism for doing the same during previous Holiday seasons last gen so PS fans (as well as people who moved over to PS4 after owning a 360) probably want to have more than just a lineup of multiplats this time of year.

I thought Xbox 360 received criticism for a weak 1st party lineup all year long rather than just the holiday seasons. Once Mattrick's Kinect vision took over, the exclusives on 360 dried up.

Or am I not remembering last gen correctly?

Top Bottom