• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift will have the ability to "stream Xbox One games" in "virtual cinema"

Oh my god I haven't enjoyed posts this much on GAF Since Sony 2006. I think I will wait for Valves / Sonys solution and even let them delay it if they want.

Everyone's so quick to be cheeky and dismissive. I have a 40 inch tv. Maybe with tech like this I could have a 80 inch tv. And maybe my friends can get their avatars in the room and suddenly split screen co op is no longer needed thanks Oculus.

Seanspeed

Banned
I would rather the comfort of not wearing a set of goggles just to play games I can already play on my TV, nevermind that the games are being streamed through your PC just to get to your Oculus.

Ugh.
Your TV is comparable to a movie theatre? Ok.

I swear some people are downright *trying* not to understand the potential here. Not that it's totally game-changing, but VR cinema has been a pretty damn popular feature so far for owners of current VR headsets. Being able to play games in VR cinema is something a lot of these people have wanted to do. But I'm sure you know better....

Peterthumpa

Why would anyone use this feature? I don't get it.

Well, I see this kinda like Off-TV Play or Remote Play. Wanna play something but someone's using the TV? Oculus time.

And I bet you can play in the middle of a cemetery. Or inside a ship. Or in space.
Come on guys. It's a cool thing.

DavidDesu

While this does seem a bit silly if this is the ONLY connection Xbox has to VR right now, the concept itself is still cool. I sincerely hope that the PS4 does the same on Morpheus, with the whole PS4 UI and every game and app able to play on a virtual cinema set up which is customisable with different locations to sit in and play everything including movies, Netflix, YouTube etc on a huge VR screen.

Volcane

My reaction:-

IRg7zul.gif

Maybe I'm confused, but if the resolution of the Oculus Rift is 1080p, and the virtual screen only takes up half of that screen space, wouldn't the games look kind of shitty/low resolution? In real life you might be sitting 10 feet away from your 1080p TV. But in a virtual room you would be sitting 10 feet away from a TV that is like what 540p or something?

I know, what I mean is that the game is going to be displayed on a fraction of a VR's display screen, and therefore a fraction of the resolution/pixels.

This, basically.

I get exactly what you both are saying... The quality of the actual streaming game would be much less than 1080p if you have the game taking up a portion of the Oculus' 1080p screen... A lot of the pixels on the Oculus' screen are filled with carpet and walls... You can't really have a 1080p resolution within a window on a 1080p screen and still retain the original resolution... At least when the rest of the screen is being filled with something else, like a virtual living room...

I still think the idea is pretty cool on paper... I was hoping these VR headsets would be used outside of VR applications, such as just simple displays to watch a movie on our something.. This is moving these headsets in that direction so good...

RowdyReverb

I agree but the ability to stream Xbone through my PC to my Oculus is pointless when I have a perfectly good TV already.
You are operating under the assumption that everyone owns or even has room for a big TV. Maybe pointless for your use case scenario, or even for most people, but it's kind of a "why not?" feature since XB1 to PC streaming was coming anyway.

commedieu

Banned
What hardware is going to run the game though? Or streaming Xbox One games, over a cloud, or something?

VR for the Xbox One is going to be, difficult.

I agree but the ability to stream Xbone through my PC to my Oculus is pointless when I have a perfectly good TV already.

Not if you don't have a perfectly good TV though. I currently game on a 720p Plasma from 2008. Something like this would probably be moderately better.

RedAssedApe

Banned
IMG_4673.JPG

Don't get excited lol

this is confusing. why would they show you sitting that far back. wouldn't you move closer to the screen so it fills up your FOV or want it on like an IMAX sized screen? Or is that just a limitation of the tech/software?

"Hey guys we have VR on XB too!!!!" -MS

That was just the message they wanted to get across so that they don't give Sony the VR playfield to themselves alone on consoles. But a fake and deceiving message. Bravo MS.

So I can understand the negative reaction to this, but think about it a bit and it for have potential.

Ever wanted to play a game in an actual theater? Or maybe on one of those screens in times square?

Yes it is a novelty and doesn't add directly to the 2d game you're playing but I still think the possibilities are pretty cool.

Peterthumpa

I get exactly what you both are saying... The quality of the actual streaming game would be much less than 1080p if you have the game taking up a portion of the Oculus' 1080p screen... A lot of the pixels on the Oculus' screen are filled with carpet and walls... You can't really have a 1080p resolution within a window on a 1080p screen and still retain the original resolution... At least when the rest of the screen is being filled with something else, like a virtual living room...

I still think the idea is pretty cool on paper... I was hoping these VR headsets would be used outside of VR applications, such as just simple displays to watch a movie on our something.. This is moving these headsets in that direction so good...

Actually, I think that there's a chance that the games will look better, since it's kinda downsampling the image.

Yeah I really don't get the point of this. If you have the cash for a PC+Oculus+XBO why wouldn't you also have the cash for a TV large enough to make this virtual room absolutely pointless.

The virtual theater you play Xbox One games in on the Rift. This isn't like playing native Rift or Morpheus games. It's like watching a screen in a virtual living room.

The virtual theater is many times larger than normal tvs. We're talking about movie theater sized. However the image quality makes or breaks it. My Galaxy VR didn't look that great. It was like watching a DVD.

Leonsito

I'm pretty sure that some of the people trolling this haven't tried a Virtual Cinema, or something like Retro Arcade.

Using the Rift to see 2D content on virtual scenarios is a pretty good solution, you can virtually have any screen size you want, it's not a little window with the game or movie streamed, is just like having a HUGE display in front of you.

Of course this won't be a major selling point, but it's a nice feature to have.

Mahmutti

Neo Member
Everyone's so quick to be cheeky and dismissive. I have a 40 inch tv. Maybe with tech like this I could have a 80 inch tv. And maybe my friends can get their avatars in the room and suddenly split screen co op is no longer needed thanks Oculus.

I'd be surprised if you couldn't control the size of the virtual screen. The resolution, however, will be sub-par. Personally I'd still prefer playing on the TV or a screen.

Kacho

This was the weirdest thing. I don't see what the appeal is and why they thought showing this was a good idea.

hawk2025

I'm pretty sure that some of the people trolling this haven't tried a Virtual Cinema, or something like Retro Arcade.

Using the Rift to see 2D content on virtual scenarios is a pretty good solution, you can virtually have any screen size you want, it's not a little window with the game or movie streamed, is just like having a HUGE display in front of you.

Of course this won't be a major selling point, but it's a nice feature to have.

I've had a DK2 for a while.

Today's announcement is a fucking joke.

nib95

Banned
Your TV is comparable to a movie theatre? Ok.

I swear some people are downright *trying* not to understand the potential here. Not that it's totally game-changing, but VR cinema has been a pretty damn popular feature so far for owners of current VR headsets. Being able to play games in VR cinema is something a lot of these people have wanted to do. But I'm sure you know better....

It would give only a false illusion of playing in a theatre room, but the actual audiovisual experience would be completely different, not to mention more uncomfortable what with a headset on the entire time, so it's not much more than a facade. This is really only beneficial to those who have small or shitty screens and monitors, where the picture quality is likely to be worse than that which is simulated in Occulus.

Can it render the virtual screen in my virtual living room in red/blue stereoscopic 3d so I can wear 3d glasses with my rift in order to give me that real movie theater screen in my living room.

This seems so odd to me. I guess it's a way to get the games playable without a drop in clarity? I don't know. It's interesting that's for sure and I'd like to try it before knocking it.

Shin-Ra

This looked plain bad, like watching a movie in a PlayStation Home theatre.

Lossy, latent video, squeezed into a small window of an already low-pixel-per-degree display.

Bigbillybeef

Neo Member
I have a DK2 and I'm the biggest advocate for VR gaming you'll ever meet but this show was terrible!

They showed some frankly mediocre looking games, an absurd virtual cinema for playing your xbox one on and packaged xbone controllers with the rift?! And then they didn't demonstrate their own input solution live?

The xbone controllers will add a not insignificant cost to an already costly device. When you consider that a large part of their target audience will already have an xinput controller that they are perfectly happy with that has the same functionality that just seems crazy!

Also, very unsure of how you can gesture with the proprietary input solution when you have to be holding onto the damn thing.

Add to that the closed software ecosystem and the general corporate nature of the whole event and it just seems to spit in the face of the hacker/maker and kickstarter crowd that got them to where they are today.

Looks like Valve and HTC's Vive is doing everything better.

Really a lot of you don't understand this?

It's a virtual giant screen. And when I mean giant I mean theatre-sized.

It already works really well for movies on existing devices.

Silvard

Not 'pretend'. You will be able to do just that.

Could you please touch upon the game using only a fraction of the pixels to be displayed and the loss of detail and resolution involved with that? I think it's a bit disingenuous to liken it to a large screen, movie theater or not, without mentioning the effects of this drawback.

nib95

Banned
Anyone know what the black levels, contrast ratio and colour accuracy is like on the displays within the Occulus? Are they using LED tech? How about Vive and Morpheus?

Top Bottom