• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official (I guess) Wii U Demo Station impressions thread

majik13

pretty sure all the demo stations are connected to the internet. And will update automatically. I think it at least was officially confirmed for the best buy ones somewhere. I would expect some updates around the next ND and/or around launch

pretty sure all the demo stations are connected to the internet. And will update automatically. I think it at least was officially confirmed for the best buy ones somewhere. I would expect some updates around the next ND and/or around launch

they really don't want these games played enough for some odd reason since all of these things showed up and Wii U Experience cities. What is so different about these demo stations?

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
Digital means the button is either pressed or it isn't. Analog means you have levels of gradation between fully pressed and fully depressed.

Digital triggers for a driving game is essentially saying you can either have full throttle or no throttle, i.e. it sucks.

Makes sense. It seems it would make more sense to have it there as an option to developers, though truthfully I haven't played many games (I think) that utilize them besides a few racing game demos.

On a side note I was wondering if Nintendo is ever going to start selling a battery pack for Wii Remotes. Considering the Wii U Pro Controller and GamePad are rechargeable with built-in batteries, I would hope that later on Wii U branded Wii Remotes would do the same. Making sure I have batteries is kind of annoying at this point.

big_erk

Screen was bad, it had nothing to do with iPad or other tablets. The quality resembled something closer to a low end LCD tv than anything, and I found that rather offputting. We have different standards, chill.

Wrong on both counts. The screen is very bright, the colors are very snappy, and the response time was very good. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the PPI of the screen the same as the iPad Mini, which is right at 162ppi. There is nothing wrong with the screen.

big_erk

Nintendo never uses cheap low quality screens. They always use Sharp IPS screens.

viva-la-bam4.jpg
BAM!!!

Zero148

Wrong on both counts. The screen is very bright, the colors are very snappy, and the response time was very good. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the PPI of the screen the same as the iPad Mini, which is right at 162ppi. There is nothing wrong with the screen.

yeah, but you must know in the iPad Mini the ppi is amazing and the screen awesome, in Nintendos case is it just cheap and bad to go with such a bad low res screen
not serious

I thought at Gamescom that Rayman looked good on the gamepad, no complaints about the screen quality. It is fine, no need for HD resolution on such a small screen imo (not that a HD resolution wouldn't look nicer, but it is not necessary)

big_erk

I can't help but disregard the post that said NSMBU on the game pad looks worse than the DS NSMB. That just reeks of trolling.

Trolling on GAF, Never!!!

yeah, but you must know in the iPad Mini the ppi is amazing and the screen awesome, in Nintendos case is it just cheap and bad to go with such a bad low res screen
not serious

I thought at Gamescom that Rayman looked good on the gamepad, no complaints about the screen quality. It is fine, no need for HD resolution on such a small screen imo (not that a HD resolution wouldn't look nicer, but it is not necessary)
Exactly, people keep ignoring this, but apparently even Apple feels that the PPI being used is good enough for a screen in this size range right now.

Hoo-doo

Banned

Do you know what opinions are? Tons of people have commented on the fact that the display looks washed out and is not as sharp as it should be. It's made to be cheap, what do you expect.

Also on the digital>analog trigger discussion, I can only shake my head. Analog pressure sensitivity is used in many more things than just racing games, and seeing as driving a vehicle is pretty damn common in tons of games, I don't see how missing out on such a feature is in any way a "plus".

big_erk

I doubt it's a matter of being cheap, but I agree about it being foolish

It wasn't explicitly stated, but it was inferred that it may have been a weight saving measure. Iwata was shooting down anything that added extra heft to the gamepad with limited potential for return. Racing sims are on of the few genres that would make use of analog triggers and they are in limited supply on all consoles, not just Nintendo. Most arcade racers play just fine with digital controls.

Hoo-doo

Banned
It wasn't explicitly stated, but it was inferred that it may have been a weight saving measure. Iwata was shooting down anything that added extra heft to the gamepad with limited potential for return. Racing sims are on of the few genres that would make use of analog triggers and they are in limited supply on all consoles, not just Nintendo. Most arcade racers play just fine with digital controls.

How many arcade racers have you played recently? What an asinine assertion.

Yes, Burnout games or Mario Kart would work fine with digital controls, but games like PGR, NFS Most Wanted, Forza Horizon all extensively use the analog triggers. In fact, almost any big game made in this generation uses it in some way that improves vehicle handling or character control.

How many arcade racers have you played recently? What an asinine assertion.

Yes, Burnout games or Mario Kart would work fine with digital controls, but games like PGR, NFS Most Wanted, Forza Horizon all extensively use the analog triggers. In fact, almost any big game made in this generation uses it in some way that improves vehicle handling or character control.

PGR and Forza ?, two MS exclusives lol...

People still defend the digital controls? COME ON!

I am basically a Nintendo only gamer beside GoG, and still think they should have had included analog.

King_Moc

Banned

Well, GTA would be terrible, for a start.

Dragon

Banned
not serious

Anyone crowing about the PPI in the iPad Mini needs to have their eyes checked. The hardware in the mini is almost all over two to three years old.

big_erk

Learn to read.
The assumption is that digital controls are fine for everything except racing simulators like Forza 4 and GT5. This is complete nonsense as analog controls benefit nearly all games, not even just racers.

I need some of that stuff you're smoking.
You couldn't handle it. It's called the truth.

Digital shoulders don't bother me. I use the analog sticks for racers, however I don't really play racers on Nintendo consoles.

eznark

Banned
I was blown away, very pleasantly surprised by the game pad. The power I low expectations maybe but I thought I was fine. I can't imagine ever giving a fuck about digital v. Analog shoulder buttons.

Hoo-doo

Banned

Games like GTAIV, Halo, Red Dead Redemption, Battlefield 3, Saint's Row and nearly every sports game extensively use analog triggers. Basically anything with vehicles or precise character control.

I don't want developers to have to ham-fist the controls on the Wii-U. Why you are praising the lack of analog triggers is completely beyond me.
I might understand the fact that you don't care about any of these types or genres of games and just care about the Mario titles, but to be downplaying the problem like this based on ridiculous comments ("It only matters for simulation racers guys!") is laughable.

big_erk

Learn to read.
The assumption is that digital controls are fine for everything except racing simulators like Forza 4 and GT5. This is complete nonsense as analog controls benefit nearly all games, not even just racers.
Yeah, I love analog triggers in FPS games, side scrollers, RPGs, puzzle games, adventure games etc. NO. Very few genres outside of racing sims have meaningful uses for analog triggers. Would they be nice to have, yes, but they are hardly a necessity .

I need some of that stuff you're smoking.

Himself

Controller felt surprisingly comfortable for how huge it is. Played the Rayman Legends demo and holy shit. Looks gorgeous, controls tight, and is just as imaginative and joyous as Origin. Contains all the inspiration that 2D Mario had before NSMB. Can't wait.

AzaK

You can't control how much you accelerate or brake with digital triggers. That's really the only type of game I'll miss analog triggers in. Digital triggers are superior in every other way.

And this is why Nintendo didn't bother with them. For almost every type of game they are superior. It's just wasted cents.

BrettHD

Banned
...and he proves my point. LOL!

He didnt prove your point at all. He was making the point that games like PGR and Forza
would be impossible or difficult on a system without analog triggers.
But hey keep twisting words and missing points.

Fabrik

Banned
I can't help but disregard the post that said NSMBU on the game pad looks worse than the DS NSMB. That just reeks of trolling. I mean if the screen is really as bad as you say it's a problem (to the point where Wii U games look worse than DS games) but it seems like what you're saying is extreme hyperbole. If it was really as bad as you say that would have been one of the first things mentioned in hands-on impressions.

Should be bannable IMO.

Rich!

Still no demo stations in the UK, and only four weeks until release.

Eh, I'll wait. I guess it'll be cool having my first impressions of the console at home.

Pineconn

I will be honest—I prefer digital triggers. Although the GCN triggers were innovative in that you had analog and then digital, I always thought it was awkward pressing down on them for a digital action (which was 99% of the time for me).

And this is why Nintendo didn't bother with them. For almost every type of game they are superior. It's just wasted cents.

How are they superior if you can have them work as digital triggers? Analogue triggers work both ways, Digital do not.

daakusedo

If they're gonna put demo stations for Europe choose something else than rayman or at least other games too, what a strange idea, if it's not due to some nebulous problem.
Anyway, so late now that I would probably wait to have the console at home.

big_erk

He didnt prove your point at all. He was making the point that games like PGR and Forza
would be impossible or difficult on a system without analog triggers.
But hey keep twisting words and missing points.

Actually he did. I said aside from the few simulation racers out there, very few games make meaningful use of analog triggers. Not only are those 2 games MS exclusives, but Forza is a sim.

Bonk

I really don't mind the lack of analog triggers for racers in general since I own all three consoles. It does not bode well for a new wave race though. (Although I think that is pretty much dead anyway) :-(

Hoo-doo

Banned
Actually he did. I said aside from the few simulation racers out there, very few games make meaningful use of analog triggers. Not only are those 2 games MS exclusives, but Forza is a sim.

How about all the other franchises I mentioned? Read a few posts up.

And no, Forza Horizon is not in any way a sim.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I think you meant to type cheaper. Which is the motivation.

I'm sure it is the motivation and I'm disappointed by the absence, but I've had 4 PS3/360 controllers total break on me and the problem every time has been the analog triggers.

BrettHD

Banned

No. Just no.
He pointed out that analog triggers can be useful for nearly all genres
and you dismissed the point.
Keep twisting those words.

1-D_FTW

I'm sure it is the motivation and I'm disappointed by the absence, but I've had 4 PS3/360 controllers total break on me and the problem every time has been the analog triggers.

This is probably true. I'm sure it is a weak point. And if Nintendo is going to be generous with their warranty service, that would most definitely drive costs up even further. So it's lose-lose.

For those doubting the main point, however, it's classic Nintendo. They've often done these type of cost cutting moves. And even if the analog parts/more difficult assembly only drove up material/labor cost by 50 cents a unit, multiply that. At 50 million sales, that's a loss of 25 million dollars. At 100 million sales, it's a loss of 50 million in profits. And it's not like it's a cost that gets any cheaper. So that's a fixed cost they just lopped off.

big_erk

No. Just no.
He pointed out that analog triggers can be useful for nearly all genres
and you dismissed the point.
Keep twisting those words.

Useful yes. Needed, no. I'm not twisting anything. I simply pointed out the limited usefulness outside of the racing sim genre. He doesn't have to agree with me. It doesn't make either of our points any less valid.

Top Bottom