• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official (I guess) Wii U Demo Station impressions thread

zoukka

I'm not sure what you're saying here.

The shape has no relevance on whether they are analogue out not. All buttons are analogue PS2 and PS3.

tbh it's a bit different because PS2 controllers had so little space for the analogue pressure that most people didn't even realise they were indeed analogue. But technically they were the same. I enjoyed analogue accelerating in the GTA games and the gimmicks in MGS2/3.

VariantX

Had a hands on today with the Wii U at best buy. The controller felt pretty comfortable to hold despite its bulky looks. Did not have any issues using the motion controls rotating things as murfy. Disappointed only Rayman was playable and everything else was screenshots and movies we've already seen.

okay someone show me a picture of the visual difference of analog/digital triggers...im not understanding is it the feeling of it? I have a razer tournament controller for xbox 360 is that what a analog trigger is?

ASIS

okay someone show me a picture of the visual difference of analog/digital triggers...im not understanding is it the feeling of it? I have a razer tournament controller for xbox 360 is that what a analog trigger is?

Its not so much the visual aspect as it is the functionality. Digital buttons is when you press a button it either does the action or it doesn't. Analog is when the tensity of the action depends on the amount of pressure placed on the button. Think of racers, the harder you press the faster it gets, this will not be possible with digital buttons as one press will either mean go full speed or no speed at all.

Hope this helps.

hachi

Banned
I know others have essentially said this already, but these demo stations are downright atrocious at present.

I "played" one today at a Gamestop, where the only interactive game was Rayman, and the tablet's interaction was basically nil. If I were to construct a demo station with the express intent of making the new screen look superfluous, I couldn't have done a better job than they did. Until there is a demo for something like NintendoLand, having these units out there is only doing harm to the brand, not a bit of good.

sphagnum

Banned
Played Rayman at Best Buy today, it was the only non-video demo. Game was really fun, definitely a must have. The lightness of the controller's weight really surprised me, and I had some trouble at first pressing the buttons correct since I guess my fingers are so used to having them above the stick, but the stick placement actually works really well.

The back of the controller didn't conform that well to my hands though. I still think Gamecube had the most comfortable controller.

Darryl

Banned
They had a demo station at my Target with no games playable. Zombi U didn't even have a video demo. Some lady in her late 30s / 40s approached us while we were checking it out and asked if it was a new Wii controller which was pretty funny. When we explained that it was something new, she sounded excited and interested. I definitely think this console will be a hit with the family crowd.

It actually looks like a really nice console/controller combo though. Controller was comfortable and well-built. I didn't notice any problems with a cheap and low-quality screen, it was very adequate. I'm definitely glad that I pre-ordered this thing. Hype is through the roof for when I actually get it.

Dropped by Gamestop today to pick up a new PS3 controller, tried out the Wii-U kiosk.

That controller.. and I know it's not the popular consensus, but it is not comfortable to use at all, especially if you're going to be using the shoulder buttons a lot.

The stick placement feels really awkward too.

I'll probably still pick one up when there's more than one game I'm interested in, though, and just hope I can adjust to the controller. =P

tenchir

Stop by the Gamestop in Glendale Galleria today. Tried out the demo station and like the others said, the gamepad controller is pretty light for it's size, but it still have enough heft to it for it to be comfortable when holding it. The LCD screen on it is pretty good for what it wants to do. It's pretty responsive when I was scrolling through the list of titles and selecting them.

I think I spent most the of time just staring down on the gamepad instead of looking at the TV as I was messing around with the demo. The only one that was available to play was the Rayman game, everything else was just video. I'm not going to comment on the gameplay because I spent most of the time just messing around, but I thought the game looks really good on the TV. Too bad ZombiU or BO2 wasn't playable as I thought those 2 games could appeal to more people and show off the gamepad more.

I took a look at the back of the Wii U and notice there was a coaxial connection to the back of the unit. Anyone know what is it for?

Plasmid

Controller seems bulky but light, screen is really clear and nice. The whole idea is very interesting when actually getting to play. I've no interest in buying a wii but it was cool.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Well, the Wii U passes the wife test.

We went and played Rayman Legends (bizarre Mario demo isn't on here) --- she played with the touch pad. As soon as she realized she could just play by touching she was totally less intimidated by all the buttons.

Pretty quick she was laughing and having a blast. She kept saying how awesome it was, and how she liked how she could play with a touchpad.

If every game can integrate the touchpad this well, could be a huge winner.

kinggroin

Banned
Some pics of my Best Buy trip

G77Je.jpeg

ZtVUi.jpeg

E9ORk.jpeg

I got to try this/Rayman Legends out today.

First impressions are good. I didn't like the system when it was first announced and I'm still not a huge fan, but once more than a few exclusives I want are out for it, I'll definitely buy it. The pad was much, much lighter than I actually anticipated and although a bit uncomfortable, it wasn't as bad as expected.

Overall a good experience! I want to see more out of this thing.

zroid

Banned
Well, the Wii U passes the wife test.

We went and played Rayman Legends (bizarre Mario demo isn't on here) --- she played with the touch pad. As soon as she realized she could just play by touching she was totally less intimidated by all the buttons.

Pretty quick she was laughing and having a blast. She kept saying how awesome it was, and how she liked how she could play with a touchpad.

If every game can integrate the touchpad this well, could be a huge winner.

Very nice to hear, hopefully the parents will take to it.

mj1108

I was at Best Buy last night and saw the demo unit. Tried it. Loved Rayman. Played co-op with another kid. Very fun and innovative! Really like the controller as well.

I was just at Target and they also had a Wii U demo system setup -- but with NO PLAYABLE DEMOS. What the hell? Everything was just on video.

Nintendo SHOULD have at least a couple of the games playable as demos and what is with putting a demo unit in Target without a single PLAYABLE demo?

Bad, Nintendo.....

Love the system, though.

I wish more consumers were able to play the Wii U the way some of us were able to play it at the Wii U Experience. When you're able to try out the GamePad not strapped to the demo case and actually play several titles, you can understand the potential of the system somewhat better. I do feel that Nintendo is slipping with how some of these demo units are being set up but I can't deny how much I fell in love with the system at the Wii U Experience. I can't wait to get my Wii U in a few weeks. I already bought a few Wii titles that I missed out on because I sold my Wii years ago.

I fully expected to not like that controller but I should have known better; prior to the Wii I have loved N controllers. It felt comfortable and was very light. the only issue I had was that it seemed that the screen blurs with fast moving things. This could be partly because the screen was so smudged with prints and I was tired when I tried it though.

I really want to like this system, and most of the ingredients are there, but I really need it to have more than 1st party games and also-rans. If publishers/developers are not lazy with ports I will def get one

Lucent

That is a fuckin huge hand

You know what they say about guys with huge hands...
they have no problem holding a Wii U gamepad...
=P

Anyway, I played with one of these at Gamestop and Best Buy. The controller definitely feels lighter than expected even if it's tied to a cord. And I thought the controllers was comfy. I had no problem using it at all. I have a Deluxe pre-ordered at Best Buy. Hopefully I have no issues with picking it up.

Shancake

Played Mario U in Australia today! The pad was much bigger than I expected like most others. The screen was a lot better than I was expecting too! Felt great in the hands but playing mario felt a bit different than usual!

Formless

Played Rayman Legends last night. Very good looking game. It's clever how they tied in Murphy parts into single player, having Rayman just move forward automatically and stop unless you do something. The controller feels great too.

Boogdud

Dropped by Gamestop today to pick up a new PS3 controller, tried out the Wii-U kiosk.

That controller.. and I know it's not the popular consensus, but it is not comfortable to use at all, especially if you're going to be using the shoulder buttons a lot.

My thoughts exactly, I don't know who designed those shoulder buttons but they're so far away from the triggers it's really a pain to go back and forth between them. I pity people with smaller hands, it's going to be really rough.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
I was super disappointed that the bundles basically force you to buy black (unless you like throwing money away), but after hands-on time with the white and black, I'm so glad I went black.

jmizzal

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...2446978519.431587.500373518&type=1&permPage=1

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...2446978519.431587.500373518&type=1&permPage=1

Played the WiiU today
The controller is big but very lite for a tablet, it feels really good, the weight felt like an Xbox 360 controller.

Rayman looked gorgeous on the gamepad and TV, the touch screen feels nice, the buttons feel good and are very responsive.

I wish they had more demos then Rayman tho.

My thoughts exactly, I don't know who designed those shoulder buttons but they're so far away from the triggers it's really a pain to go back and forth between them. I pity people with smaller hands, it's going to be really rough.

I don't know. I met several people at the Wii U Experience with small hands who felt that the controller was comfortable. My wife also has small hands and she thought it was very comfortable when she played Rayman and NintendoLand.

VideoMan

30% Failure Rate
Went to Target today and saw a real live Wii U for the first time. Only messed with it for a few minutes but liked what I saw.

- GamePad seems wider than it looks in pictures. Not a big deal just an observation.
- Analogs feel pretty much like Wii CC/CCPro sticks. Yes they do click when you press them in!
- Touch screen is very responsive to fingertips. I know they're not capacitive but they seem much more responsive to fingers than DS/3DS touchscreens.

As I was walking away two women (looked to be maybe mid to late twenties in age) saw the kiosk and stopped. One of them said "What is this?" *reads the sign* "Wii...U? What is this?" I lingered just to see what their reaction would be. They played with the touchscreen and watched the trailer for Sing Party and as I walked away one said to the other "One of us has to get one of these."

I have no idea if they knew it was a new console or just a tablet or what but it gives me hope for the Wii U. I mean I just witnessed the so-called "casuals" in the wild go from not even knowing the Wii U exists to deciding they had to have one in about 60 seconds.

I got to try this/Rayman Legends out today.

First impressions are good. I didn't like the system when it was first announced and I'm still not a huge fan, but once more than a few exclusives I want are out for it, I'll definitely buy it. The pad was much, much lighter than I actually anticipated and although a bit uncomfortable, it wasn't as bad as expected.

Overall a good experience! I want to see more out of this thing.

I'm glad to see you got a good impression from it!

Effect

Finally got to hold the Wii U controller. Stopped by GameStop after work to fully pay off my system and they had a demo unit. Like others was surprised how lite it was. Was a bit weird with the sticks on the top but after the first Rayman Legends demo I was getting used to it. Rayman Legends. Video does not do that game justice. If Rayman Origins was anything close to that then my opinion of the 3DS demo for Origins just dropped even more when I compare how that game runs on the 3DS. The Murfy section of the demo looked great on the gamepad as well. Sure not HD but it still looked great. Playing games on the gamepad itself isn't going to be a problem for me going forward I think.

The demo also sold me on Rayman Legends when it finally comes out as well.

Banned
Omfg I got to play the Wii U at yorkdale mall eb games in toronto! So sexy.

Only demo available was Rayman but it was beautiful, ran at 60fps and controlled amazingly.

Gamepad:

Light as hell. Not cheap light, but lighter than it looks. It weighs about as much as a dual shock 3 IMO.
The touchscreen is responsive and more accurate then the 3DS at least
Image quality of the touch screen is better than the 3DS's and the colours are more vibrant.
Buttons feel different then expected. They are very soft and mushy compared to clicks like the Wii remote buttons.
The triggers are digital but they hav some give to them, about as much give as the B button on a Wii remote.

The only thing that felt awkward was the ZR and ZL buttons are not parallel with the face buttons /left analog. I found that when trying to run (ZR) and slash in Rayman (Y) my index finger was closer to the edge of the gamepad to hit tue trigger while my thumb was stretched to push Y at the same time. It's different compared to a dual shock 3 or 360 controller where the triggers are right above the face buttons but I only played the thing for 5 minutes and its easy to get used too.

I'm impressed about the lightweight of the gamepad and it's touchscreen IQ. Can't wait for November 18th!

Lucent

FAP FAP FAP

Yep. So glad that I at least reserved the Deluxe at Best Buy in store. Now when I go in the store I go to the pre-order kiosk and see they're sold out, so nobody else can pre-order them. Feels awesome. Not gonna wait out in the cold.

rpmurphy

Tried it out earlier today at the Best Buy in Duluth. Rayman wasn't working; nothing would show up on the TV after selecting a stage.

The controller was bigger than I expected really, but holding it is not too bad. However, in the natural holding position, I found it to be too easy to end up pressing one of the trigger buttons. I was only there for a few minutes though so maybe it's just a matter of getting used to the new controller. The touchscreen was very responsive.

Top Bottom