• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official (I guess) Wii U Demo Station impressions thread

Kevtones

Went to GameStop:

Played Rayman - looked/played/sounded lovely. Found myself a lot more compelled by the music stage than I expected. You could auto-switch between demo levels on the touchscreen which I found out halfway through one level lol. Load times were SUPER quick.

Controller is light but a little awkward to hold with the GameStop attachment. That's not a controller flaw but a station thing. Still, very impressed and the screen was fine and very responsive.

It was my first WiiU experience and I kept going back/forth between the screen and controller like an idiot at first. It was kind of a unique experience actually, and it feels like a weird, but undersold dynamic of having two screens.

System was long. Very smart tbh when you consider most tv centers.

Really stoked for this system and while I wish the screen was OLED, I'm alright with this at the moment.

Medalion

Banned
And sony will win too with ps4. 10x more powerful than Wii U plus 1080p retina screen on the controller. Price at 349$. Launching with uncharted snaps! "Photorealistic graphics makes it feel like your house is the jungle."

Yep, just like powerful console tech for its time won them this current gen as well

Got a chance to play one of these today with the girlfriend. Rayman is a blast with 2 people. We took turns with one of us using the touch screen controller and the team work aspect is really fun. Also the graphics are beautiful. I was pretty negative about this system before, but the teamwork in games is alot of fun if you have others to play with. As a single player experience I still probably wouldn't recommend it.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Went to GameStop:

Played Rayman - looked/played/sounded lovely. Found myself a lot more compelled by the music stage than I expected. You could auto-switch between demo levels on the touchscreen which I found out halfway through one level lol. Load times were SUPER quick.

Controller is light but a little awkward to hold with the GameStop attachment. That's not a controller flaw but a station thing. Still, very impressed and the screen was fine and very responsive.

It was my first WiiU experience and I kept going back/forth between the screen and controller like an idiot at first. It was kind of a unique experience actually, and it feels like a weird, but undersold dynamic of having two screens.

System was long. Very smart tbh when you consider most tv centers.

Really stoked for this system and while I wish the screen was OLED, I'm alright with this at the moment.

For the Gamestop displays, does the Home button do anything? Looks like the OS on the Wii U Tour vans were very old, maybe we were playing E3 demos? Just wondering if Gamestop was any different.

For the Gamestop displays, does the Home button do anything? Looks like the OS on the Wii U Tour vans were very old, maybe we were playing E3 demos? Just wondering if Gamestop was any different.

All it did was take you back out to the main demo station menu where you could choose between the demos and videos.

yeah I think tablet heads will harm the Wii U a bit when they approach this as a tablet and find the screen is not on the level of their personal tablet, but in the end it may still be a good selling point that opens up more sales - Rayman is still not enough for these demo units though

And sony will win too with ps4. 10x more powerful than Wii U plus 1080p retina screen on the controller. Price at 349$. Launching with uncharted snaps! "Photorealistic graphics makes it feel like your house is the jungle."

2014 year of the Playstation!

I haven't seen that kind of negative reaction to the GamePad's screen till this page, and I've read a lot of people's reactions to the thing

But I don't think all people are going to go in with an open unbiased mind... and that's just the reality of the tablet tech wars
Obviously not scientific, but when I first tried it with both NSMBU and Nintendo Land Zelda Battle Quest, I did that "hold real close and see if you can see the pixel" thing, and while it's no retina screen, it's definitely better than the 3DS screen. He might be talking about the Black Levels, which I didn't see Luigi's Mansion.

I just thought I'd chime in, but technical specifications have nothing to do with "winning." Don't make it about that.

If Sony or Microsoft delivers a technical monster, you can bet their fans won't be perpetually worrying about how well these companies will do financially. The fans will be in awe with what is possible with the high-end technology.

Some people just want powerful hardware. As a Nintendo fan, I'm extremely excited about Wii U and intend to pick one up at midnight, but even I would have liked Wii U to be more comparable to the other next generation consoles.

Medalion

Banned
I am going in blind, I can wait less than a month for this thing... no demo stations for me, but I love reading people's experiences

DR2K

Banned
I highly doubt it's cheap if they are going to sell it for easily over 100$ separately and especially since next to no other impressions have had anything but high praise for the screen.

You must be either the most picky person on the planet or expecting it to be HD or look like Apple product screens.

Screen was bad, it had nothing to do with iPad or other tablets. The quality resembled something closer to a low end LCD tv than anything, and I found that rather offputting. We have different standards, chill.

Tmdean

Banned
Screen was bad, it had nothing to do with iPad or other tablets. The quality resembled something closer to a low end LCD tv than anything, and I found that rather offputting. We have different standards, chill.

Can you be more specific? Was the low resolution the only issue you had with it?

Anth0ny

I was at the Toronto Wii U event on Friday from about 11-2. Unfortunately, I missed any GAFers that were there, but I still had a pretty fun time. I played the hell out of NSMB U and Nintendo Land, so here are my impressions so far.

Nintendo Land:

General impressions:
This does not seem to be the most common opinion, but I really think Nintendo Land doesn’t look all that hot. The art style is really cool, but it is being rendered in 720p and there were jaggies galore. Hopefully it wouldn’t look so offensive on my PC monitor, assuming I buy the game someday.

More importantly, lets get into the minigames themselves:

Zelda: Honestly, I had the most fun with this one. First of all, the music was fantastic (Dark World!), and is the only piece that really stood out from the entire Nintendoland demo. In case you don’t know, the game is on rails, and I believe this works quite well with the Wii Motion + sword controls. Three players were using the Wii Remote +, swinging swords and killing enemies, while one uses the Gamepad, shooting distant enemies with a bow. In order to progress, all enemies on the screen must be cleared.

You’re going to want a more experienced player to be in control of the gamepad, because if they can’t snipe those far away enemies, they’ll start picking the other players off.

Surprisingly, Nintendo managed to hold back on some weird Gamepad gyro gimmick, and you fire arrows by holding down on the right analog stick to pull back your arrow, and releasing to fire. Five hearts are shared by the four players, so after five hits on anyone, it’s game over.

Holding the Wiimote vertically charges your sword ala the skyward strike in Skyward Sword. Swinging it vertically will perform the skyward strike from SS, while swinging it horizontally will perform a spin attack. The controls felt really good (unlike Skyward Sword). My group made it to the boss at the end (?) of the demo, and he OHKO’d us. lol

Donkey Kong: This one was weird. The game is controlled totally with the gyro of the gamepad, and I didn’t have to look at the gamepad screen at all (it’s just a zoomed in view of what’s on screen). On my first try, I made it pretty far into the stage. I eventually died near some elevators (you control their movement with L and R, cool stuffs). On my second try, I died because I went too fast. On my third try… I died because I went too slow. Somehow, I couldn’t control my little yarn kart thing anymore. I simply couldn’t figure it out. I would have spent more time on it if I didn’t feel like playing another demo.

Luigi’s Mansion: Now that I’ve actually played this, that god awful over explanation at E3 just becomes more hilarious. It’s really easy to understand once you get your hand on the Wiimote or Gamepad. It was pretty fun, I guess.

Animal Crossing: Didn’t play this one much. It was okay, from what I remember.

Takamaru: Okay, this one is cool… in theory. In reality, sliding your finger across the Gamepad screen is fingerprints galore. And if your fingers are even a tad sweaty, the game is pretty much unplayable. You need to swipe your finger across the screen pretty damn fast and pretty damn rapidly to hit some of the more distant enemies, and that becomes very difficult when you start sweating. I was in a freezing cold truck in a Toronto parking lot, so maybe I’ll enjoy it more when playing in more favorable conditions.

Overall impressions: It is definitely hard to say. Is this game worth $60? Absolutely not, from what I’ve played. It’s fun, though. If I picked up a deluxe Wii U, I’d happily pop it in and play through some of these mini games. Then again… this was the first time playing these minigames. How will they hold up on the second try? Third? Tenth? Not to mention, I was actually playing with other people! That’s the ideal environment for this game, not one I expect to replicate at my house any time in the future. It shows off the Gamepad well. Kinda. I guess. It is no Wii Sports, that’s for sure.

New Super Mario Bros U

I’m pretty confident that I’ve played this game more than any other Canadian at this point. Given my lukewarm reception to Nintendo Land, and the fact that Rayman, Zombi U, Wonderful 101 and Pikmin 3 demos were nowhere in sight, I found myself rotating between the two NSMB U demo stations for the majority of my time at the event. By the end, I was speedrunning stages. Anyways, impressions!

Demo 1: Standard Mario Gameplay

Three stages to try: Big ass mushroom tree grassy stage (very very easy), drunk mini yoshi in the sky stage (very easy), and snow stage (easy). My first playthrough was 5 players! 4 on Wiimotes and one with the gamepad, placing blocks all over the screen. As you might expect, shit got crazy real fast. It’s as chaotic and
un
fun as NSMB Wii multiplayer! With the Gamepad element added in, it becomes nigh impossible to clear the stage normal, so you’re better off just going full troll and trying to ruin people’s game.
After a bit, it died down and I got some solid alone time with the demo.

As expected from a NSMB game, especially from a demo, I breezed through the stages. However, I enjoyed the hell out of all three stages. The level design is fantastic. Star coin placement is awesome, and requires you to take advantage of the new squirrel power up to collect them all. Speaking of the squirrel suit, the level design definitely takes this into consideration, and vertical space is taken advantage of. All three stages had hidden “plant” blocks that allowed you to climb up to “secret” ground, where either a star coin or a fuck ton of regular coins awaited you. The artwork is good (a huge upgrade from the previous three NSMB games), but I can’t help but wish the game was rendered in 1080p instead of 720p. At this point in the game, 720p sticks out like a sore thumb, there is really no excuse for this game to not run in 1080p, especially if something like Monster Hunter or Scribblenauts can. Unless… it’s the Gamepad.

I decided to play through a stage using the gamepad (by the way, waggle has been mapped to the ZL button, and the ZL button makes you spin jump ala Super Mario World. That is AWESOME). You can not use the analog sticks to move Mario when using the gamepad, it’s dpad only. Despite the seemingly odd placement of the dpad/buttons, it felt pretty good going through a stage of Mario. The squirrel suit controlled significantly better using the Wii U gamepad, as the waggle on the Wiimote kinda fucked with me a few times.

Then I decided to play a level exclusively on the gamepad screen.

Yikes.

I’ll be blunt: It looked like shit. It looked worse than NSMB on the DS, and far worse than NSMB 2 on 3DS. Mario is a blurry little turd on that screen. Of course, it’s still playable. In fact, there was no lag at all playing on that screen (this is coming from someone who can not play Smash Bros or UMVC3 on an HDTV. HDTV lag absolutely kills me, and I’m happy to say the Gamepad had no such problems). However… it looked bad. Surprisingly bad. I plan on doing most of my Wii U gaming on the TV screen anyways, but still, disappointing.

My best time for the first stage was 349. I probably could have cleared 350, but I wanted to play the next demo!

Demo 2: Boost rush mode

Three stage packs to choose from: Easy pack (very easy, 2 stages), flying squirrel pack (easy, 2 stages), acrobat back (medium, 3 stages).

Some of the stages were recycled from the first demo, but some were actually new, including a desert stage and castle stage. Even the recycled stages felt fresh though, since boost rush mode turns them into autoscrolling stages. The more coins you collect, the faster it scrolls, and the better time you can get. I played with a Gamepad partner, but he wasn’t intrusive at all, so it was a great experience. Seriously, some very good level design in this game. I’m not sure if it was because of the autoscrolling or what, but I had a great time playing through these stages, especially that last castle stage. Each pack ended with a pathetically easy koopa kid boss. Jump on them three times, dodge their shell attack, you know the drill. In case you thought it couldn’t get any easier, get your partner to help you out with platforms! Jeez.

Nonetheless, I think this boost mode may be the reason NSMB U stays in my Wii U for more than a month or two. I’m hoping it’ll keep me occupied at least until Pikmin 3 is released, because I can’t see myself picking up Nintendoland until it’s $10.

Other random thoughts: The Wii U is long. Like, seriously. A little too long. It looks weird! I like the Wii design a lot better.

I’m not sure if I’m qualified to say this, as it was only a demo session, but I didn’t think the Gamepad was heavy at all. It felt kinda cheap. But I’d much rather have a cheap feeling, light controller than a expensive feeling, heavy controller. We will only truly know on launch day, when we sit down and play Mario for 8 hours straight if it’s too heavy. Then again, I played for 2 hours straight on Friday and didn’t have any problems! Who knows.

No one was using the Just Dance station, so I attempted to sneak a look at any possible UI left with the demo. Hitting the home button did nothing, and attempting to power down the console was futile. Shucks. Hard to believe this thing is launching in less than a month, and we still know so little about it -_-

All in all, I’m definitely more excited about Wii U than I was before Friday. Despite my strongest beliefs, NSMB fatigue has not set in, and I’m really looking forward to blasting through the game in November.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Eh, people still judge the controller as a tablet than a controller.

With that said yeah the solo price is still steep.

Then I decided to play a level exclusively on the gamepad screen.

Yikes.

I’ll be blunt: It looked like shit. It looked worse than NSMB on the DS, and far worse than NSMB 2 on 3DS. Mario is a blurry little turd on that screen. Of course, it’s still playable. In fact, there was no lag at all playing on that screen (this is coming from someone who can not play Smash Bros or UMVC3 on an HDTV. HDTV lag absolutely kills me, and I’m happy to say the Gamepad had no such problems). However… it looked bad. Surprisingly bad. I plan on doing most of my Wii U gaming on the TV screen anyways, but still, disappointing.

This is really disappointing to hear. Is it the screen quality that makes it look bad?

madmackem

I just thought I'd chime in, but technical specifications have nothing to do with "winning." Don't make it about that.

If Sony or Microsoft delivers a technical monster, you can bet their fans won't be perpetually worrying about how well these companies will do financially. The fans will be in awe with what is possible with the high-end technology.

Some people just want powerful hardware. As a Nintendo fan, I'm extremely excited about Wii U and intend to pick one up at midnight, but even I would have liked Wii U to be more comparable to the other next generation consoles.

Nintendo cant afford to be cutting edge, if wii u tanked and the console was a loss leader from day one they would find it hard to bounce back from that, Ms and sony can absorb losses alot easier.

Stewox

Banned
Wii U demo stations are starting to show up at Best Buy and Gamestop across the country. Tonight I got to see and play with the Wii U a little for the first time.

Notes/general first impressions follow

Gamepad:
Light. Decent screen quality, dot pitch is fine, brightness and color accuracy are decent. Control sticks and buttons work well. Lag for button presses is imperceptible on the display. Extra width takes a little getting used to, but didn't hamper gameplay at all. Tilt sensor is quite accurate.

Being that this is the key feature of the system I spent a lot of time just feeling out and I wasn't disappointed. I expect this device to be my gamepad of choice going forward. It just offers scads of options others don't and sacrifices almost nothing to get there.

Console:
Bigger than expected but not bad. About 2X the internal volume of the Wii, maybe a little more. Still way smaller than my launch PS3. Think double length, external, fat DVD drive.

Demos:
There were videos or screenshot B-rolls for just about every other launch title. It's all stuff you can easily find on the internet so we'll just skip over that.

The only playable demo was Rayman Legends. This is what you'd expect out of a Rayman Origins sequel: Pretty graphics, good controls, nice art style. They had one of the dreaded "Murphy Levels" on display and it was much more entertaining than the stupid mosquito levels in Origins. Both the touch screen and tilt sensors worked well and provided a fun change of pace. I'll be fine with these as long as it isn't the majority of the game. No way to attempt this on a competitive console as the input lag would likely break the AI character.

Post impressions as you get a chance to play. If you have questions I'll try and answer them.

Fairly non-technical and inaccurate ofcourse called impressions, so no problem.

Dot pitch or Pixel density (which is why it looks great in this case , resolution it self doesn't mean everything as casuals think, we knew this months ago that the screen will look great, almost a year ago)

I prefer heavier controllers btw, lightness is not necessairly a good thing as it's been propagated by public and nintendo as well. If it's too light I'll have to tape a counterweigth on the bottom.

Stewox

Banned
Nintendo never uses cheap low quality screens. They always use Sharp IPS screens.

That more for the gamepad, i would speculate for the DS or 3DS , but for the main console no way they're using cheap stuff especially all the focus on the latency.

You should let the guys in the hardware speculation thread know about this. They've been trying to figure out what the Wii U is for months.

Also the console being long is nothing new as well, specifications have been given, images also shown that to be the case however specific images from E3 2011 were dummies (plastic casing with nothing inside) that were not the correct longness as the real console would be.

And this is just one of the things it was known much earlier, can't remember all at once.

Stewox

Banned
Also It's very wise to note that everyone who complaints about non HD LCD screen on the GamePad is also failing to see why that would be inferior, it's because they have limited space to begin with, it would have to stay 6.2 inch anyways, by having more pixels it would be much smaller, technically they could fit more but more is not good in this case, more game image means more GPU activity needed and developers would fit more menu stuff in, the problem is that everything would be smaller, it would be hard to read text for long periods, and clearly see tons of menus while waiving the controller with extended hands , you would have to hold the controller up close like a cell phone, and nobody wants that for a non-portable gaming system. It would be too much like a tablet.

My eyes hurt just of 30 minutes of looking at the Galaxy S2 screen, not to mention the retina display in iphone, which i never tried and probably won't unless someone shows me one.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Also It's very wise to note that everyone who complaints about non HD LCD screen on the GamePad is also failing to see why that would be inferior, it's because they have limited space to begin with, it would have to stay 6.2 inch anyways, by having more pixels it would be smaller and smaller, technically they could fit in more game image (more GPU activity needed) and developers would fit more stuff in, the problem is that everything will be smaller, it would be hard to read text for long periods, and clearly see tons of menus while waiving the controller with extended hands , you would have to hold the controller up close like a cell phone, and nobody wants that for a non-portable gaming system.

My eyes hurt just of 30 minutes of looking at the Galaxy S2 screen, not to mention the retina display in iphone.

Your eyes hurt when using high quality displays? What?
If anything, the smoother text and sharper image would lessen the strain on your eyes. Do your eyes also hurt when reading a book?

Stewox

Banned
Your eyes hurt when using high quality displays? What?
If anything, the smoother text and sharper image would lessen the strain on your eyes. Do your eyes also hurt when reading a book?

Yes they will after 2 hours or so. This is not unsusual for anyone btw.

There was a very sharp LCD made many many years back that one of my PC guru friends said it's too sharp as it hurts eyes, i haven't seen it then and the only second-hand info I have on this before experienceing it my self, and we were PC power users all those years back in the elementary school (compared to now in college) so i don't know what to make of your case.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Yes they will after 2 hours or so. This is not unsusual for anyone btw.

There was a very sharp LCD made many many years back that one of my PC guru friends said it's too sharp as it hurts eyes, i haven't seen it then and the only second-hand info I have on this before experienceing it my self, and we were PC power users all those years back in the elementary school (compared to now in college) so i don't know what to make of your case.

With me being a heavy reader of both Mac Hardware forums and threads and smartphone forums and threads, this is actually the first time I have ever read someone responding negatively to a higher resolution display. Millions of people all over the world love retina-displays and the like.

I honestly suggest you get your eyes looked at if a higher PPI causes you physical pain or eye strain, because it's not going away.

AndTAR

To those of you who looked closely at the Game Pad screen: Would you say, specifically, the contrast loss vs. viewing angle seemed roughly equal to the 3DS, or was it clearly better, in your opinion?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
What?.. How the fuck did that happen????? Why??.. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

if the screen is 858x480, isn't that an odd multiplier, so scaled down images from 720p might look bad unless additional AA is added, or the screen is re-rendered at native gamepad screen when switching?

pswii60

Nintendo never uses cheap low quality screens. They always use Sharp IPS screens.

I personally can't stand IPS screens. They may have a slightly faster response and improved viewing angle, but the contrast ratio is abysmal in comparison to S-PVA.

Stewox

Banned
With me being a heavy reader of both Mac Hardware forums and threads and smartphone forums and threads, this is actually the first time I have ever read someone responding negatively to a higher resolution display. Millions of people all over the world love retina-displays and the like.

I honestly suggest you get your eyes looked at if a higher PPI causes you physical pain or eye strain, because it's not going away.

My eyes are shortsighted, I can see abnormally clearly in short distances, but I cannot do it all the time because it puts strain on the eyes, I have long-range correction glasses which I only use for long-range because eyes get hurt when using it for short distance. I am not a mobile user, i hardly use mobile devices.

Maybe after a half-day PC use + checking out Galaxy S2 for the evening just made it too much.

Not just the eyes but generally, looking that close makes me bored/tired. And i don't know what on earth you have there that makes you tolerant to 24h mobile-device use, or you just don't notice it or what.

But there's a catch I guess, i think mobile users check stuff a lot in the day but have very high pause ratio, looking at the device for 10-15 minutes max, but in my case it think it was from the typing of long neogaf posts that made my arms also hurt from the stupid touch screen typing, i hate cheap unresponsive touch screens.

I personally can't stand IPS screens. They may have a slightly faster response and improved viewing angle, but the contrast ratio is abysmal in comparison to S-PVA.

Nintendo will not sacrifice latency for graphics. We have yet to see how much developed this sceeen will be, it may have better quality than cheap ones found in entry HDTV market

Hoo-doo

Banned
My eyes are shortsighted, I can see abnormally clearly in short distances, but I cannot do it all the time because it puts strain on the eyes, I have long-range correction glasses which I only use for long-range because eyes get hurt when using it for short distance. I am not a mobile user, i hardly use mobile devices.

Maybe after a half-day PC use + checking out Galaxy S2 for the evening just

Not just the eyes but generally, looking that close makes me bored/tired. And i don't know what on earth you have there that makes you tolerant to 24h mobile-device use, or you just don't notice it or what.

But there's a catch I guess, i think mobile users check stuff a lot in the day but have very high pause ratio, looking at the device for 10-15 minutes max, but in my case it think it was from the typing of long neogaf posts that made my arms also hurt from the stupid touch screen typing, i hate cheap unresponsive touch screens.

Your personal eye condition explains it then, but i'd say higher PPI displays are a big plus for everyone else.
And what about Retina-display macbook Pros or Retina iPads? Those are certainly not only used for ten minutes at a time, so I don't think your theory holds up.

if the screen is 858x480, isn't that an odd multiplier, so scaled down images from 720p might look bad unless additional AA is added, or the screen is re-rendered at native gamepad screen when switching?

I don't know but why the fuck doesn't Nintendo care if things look like shit?
Don't they test it and see what aspect ratio gives the best image quality?

Not sure what to think of it... but goddamn it's aggravating if true.
It's jist streaming for god sake. It should look the same as on a HDTV but smaller.
No extra AA needed. In fact, it should look completely without jaggies at that size.

pswii60

Nintendo will not sacrifice latency for graphics. We have yet to see how much developed this sceeen will be, it may have better quality than cheap ones found in entry HDTV market
When I said "faster response" I wasn't talking about input lag.

Stewox

Banned
When I said "faster response" I wasn't talking about input lag.

Everything counts into input lag. You meant pixel response, which is one of many factors.

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/panel_technologies.htm

We don't know which sub-tech they use. Guess it's the fastest one, we'll have to wait for the console to release to open it up and check.

For an overview:

Major factors for input lag:
  • LCD Pixel Response
  • Touch-screen Response
  • Wireless Transmission Response
  • CODEC LSI Compression Response
  • Various Interconnect Response

Developing GamePad was extremely hard, these responses need to be very low because 1 ping of data has to pass through these 2 times.

I've even made the full path below for a detailed look of the data flow, so this should be even more clear. I don't know what is your perception of input lag in the GamePad, we are not talking about HDTVs here.

Path when you press something on GamePad Touchscreen:
  1. Touchscreen pressed (resistive tech has better accuracy and response time than capacitive)
  2. Registered by TOUCH-SCREEN CONTROLLER (fast interconnect)
  3. Sent to CONTROLLER UI (fast interconnect)
  4. Sent to CODEC LSI (fast interconnect)
  5. Data gets Compressed (proprietary super efficient method)
  6. Sent to GamePad WIRELESS MODULE (fast interconnect)
  7. Wireless transmission to Console via custom 5GHz protocol based on IEEE802.11n
  8. Data gets Decompressed by Console CODEC LSI
  9. Sent to I/O Processor
  10. Processed by CPU
  11. Sent back to I/O PROCESSOR
  12. Sent back to Console CODEC LSI for Compression
  13. Sent back to TERMINAL COMMUNICATION MODULE for Wireless Transmission back to GamePad
  14. Picked up by GamePad WIRELESS MODULE
  15. Sent to CODEC LSI (fast interconnect)
  16. Data gets Decompressed
  17. Sent to LCD
  18. LCD displays results (+ LCD pixel lag)

http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/interviews/#/wiiu/gamepad/0/0

Worth reading every bit.

EDIT: I've have noticed the perception and description about input lag to be very inconsistent it the communities, for example looking at the wikipedia article of display lag seems to be one hell of a lot of misunderstanding.

Lag is everywere, mostly it's just too small to be noticed, one of the major lag producers in HDTVs are poor firmwares, this is lag created by purely bad software development and has nothing to do with pixel response or anything else, but your input is delayed, that's why it counts as inputlag imo.

I don't quite get the Mosquito-Levels-Hate for Rayman:Origins.

For me, these were the best looking SHMUP released over the last few years.

And control is done quite well.

disap.ed

It doesn't work like this though, at least if I understood it correctly. The Gamepad screen is never a downscaled TV frame screen, but always rendered on it's own (with the correct resolution), even if it shows the same.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I don't know but why the fuck doesn't Nintendo care if things look like shit?
Don't they test it and see what aspect ratio gives the best image quality?

Not sure what to think of it... but goddamn it's aggravating if true.
It's jist streaming for god sake. It should look the same as on a HDTV but smaller.
No extra AA needed. In fact, it should look completely without jaggies at that size.

If matters: when I tried the Gamepad, I was happy about its resolution and image quality.
Of course it's not as good as on a HD TV screen, but it was shine and colorful and and so on.
Btw, image quality was also software-based.

If matters: when I tried the Gamepad, I was happy about its resolution and image quality.
Of course it's not as good as on a HD TV screen, but it was shine and colorful and and so on.
Btw, image quality was also software-based.

Okay, thanx. Well, i'll have to judge for myself. But i see no real reason why it should look shitty..
So i hope it doesn't.

MarkusRJR

I can't help but disregard the post that said NSMBU on the game pad looks worse than the DS NSMB. That just reeks of trolling. I mean if the screen is really as bad as you say it's a problem (to the point where Wii U games look worse than DS games) but it seems like what you're saying is extreme hyperbole. If it was really as bad as you say that would have been one of the first things mentioned in hands-on impressions.

I also don't understand the comparisons between tablet screens and the game pad screen. Higher res screens would just add more strain on the hardware which is already doing HD on the TV and add input lag (unless you want sub-native gameplay streamed to the game pad; and in that case why would you want the higher res screen).

Calm down. It looks fine.

Also, why are people not complaining about the PPI of the iPad 2? It's worse than the Gamepad ffs!
i-have-to-calm-down-o.gif

Top Bottom