• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official (I guess) Wii U Demo Station impressions thread

I don't know but why the fuck doesn't Nintendo care if things look like shit?
Don't they test it and see what aspect ratio gives the best image quality?

Not sure what to think of it... but goddamn it's aggravating if true.
It's jist streaming for god sake. It should look the same as on a HDTV but smaller.
No extra AA needed. In fact, it should look completely without jaggies at that size.

You've had a year of journalists and gaffers who have played and used the thing in person saying the screen looks amazing. Then 2 gaffers come in and go, yeah the screen was ugly and sucked, and your freaking out.

Learn to temper both the good and the bad responses and find a middle ground.

It doesn't work like this though, at least if I understood it correctly. The Gamepad screen is never a downscaled TV frame screen, but always rendered on it's own (with the correct resolution), even if it shows the same.

That would be an absolute waste of processing power. Specially if the TV screen and gamepad are displaying the same image. By taking the 720p image and downscalling it to a res that works with the gamepad you get free AA, and end up with a sharper looking image then if you rendered it natively at the gamepad's resolution. Nintendo would be fucking retarded to force you to always render a second image at a different resolution to the gamepad.

You've had a year of journalists and gaffers who have played and used the thing in person saying the screen looks amazing. Then 2 gaffers come in and go, yeah the screen was ugly and sucked, and your freaking out.

In all honesty, i'll see for myself. I never trust anyone on the internet.
There is no freaking out here :p, don't worry. Will freak out if true though.

It's you're by the way.

That would be an absolute waste of processing power. Specially if the TV screen and gamepad are displaying the same image. By taking the 720p image and downscalling it to a res that works with the gamepad you get free AA, and end up with a sharper looking image then if you rendered it natively at the gamepad's resolution. Nintendo would be fucking retarded to force you to always render a second image at a different resolution to the gamepad.

That's what i thought.

Hanmik

But has any journalist ever talked about playing NSMB only on the gamepad..?

THere are a lot more factors for screen quality then PPI. That said, it's foolish to compare to ipad products that cost a lot more.

If it actually looks worse then the DS screen(which I hope was just hyperbole) then it's a pretty huge problem though.

Any good screenshots of the gamepad running detailed stuff?

Yeah I said that as a joke really, but come on, I've played with the thing - and the screen looks fine. Saying that it makes NSMBU look worse than NSMBDS is just trolling.

Yikes.

I’ll be blunt: It looked like shit. It looked worse than NSMB on the DS, and far worse than NSMB 2 on 3DS.

BAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHahahaha

classic

super_mario.jpg

honestly, are you blind?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCy_we9GEjs

Lighting, texture work, framerate: all preserved. The screen looks quite nice, lets move on

THere are a lot more factors for screen quality then PPI. That said, it's foolish to compare to ipad products that cost a lot more.

If it actually looks worse then the DS screen(which I hope was just hyperbole) then it's a pretty huge problem though.

Any good screenshots of the gamepad running detailed stuff?

It doesn't. It looks miles better than the DS and 3DS screen.

zroid

Banned

Lighting, texture work, framerate: all preserved. The screen looks quite nice, lets move on

The GamePad display does seem a tad less sharp than the TV in this video, but I think I can safely say it's still quite nice. Certainly miles better than the other NSMB games.

I'm wishing I spent more time playing on the GamePad, now. From what little I did spend with it though, as relayed in my impressions earlier, it looked perfectly fine.

It doesn't. It looks miles better than the DS and 3DS screen.

Seriously, its like people are taking the opinions of two random people, who probably saw a smudged up scratched up greesy demo unit. Its like your not even taking into account the opinions of about 100 journalists who have had more extensive hands on time with it themselves.

Or the countless youtube videos that actually show the screen up close.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxIhZYjyBxc

I don't quite get the Mosquito-Levels-Hate for Rayman:Origins.

For me, these were the best looking SHMUP released over the last few years.

And control is done quite well.
I found them to be boring.

Calm down. It looks fine.

Also, why are people not complaining about the PPI of the iPad 2? It's worse than the Gamepad ffs!
Because they all upgraded to an ipad 3. Ipad 2, sheesh that is so last year.

Anth0ny

if the screen is 858x480, isn't that an odd multiplier, so scaled down images from 720p might look bad unless additional AA is added, or the screen is re-rendered at native gamepad screen when switching?

I'm no tech expert, but yeah, it looked like it needed some additional AA. Mario's head looked totally pixelated.

Again, it's passable (I can't imagine streaming a 60 fps image while keeping controls lagless is an easy task, but they manage to get it done), but the DS NSMBs look more "clear".

I found it surprisingly easy and natural to use the controller and dual screen set up. To add to the controller screen quality debate, I noticed that the local demo unit's screen was dimmer than what I expected and was fairly smudged up already. However, the game looked fine for being scaled down and better than anything on the 3DS. The system itself seems perfectly capable in of itself to deliver a great experience. Now it's just up to consumers and third party developers to drive the system's potential forward.

Anyone else notice very long loading screens for ZombiU?

Considering the loading screens on the demo units have been to transition from one cut of the game to another, it isn't surprising how long they are. If the retail game follows suit however, that could be a significant annoyance.

Just got back from the local shop that had a set up. Everything has already been covered, but damn this controller is light and amazingly crafted to your hands. If it weren't for tekken, I would definitely never even think about getting a pro controller. The screen was responsive and slick, but it didn't seem to move at the same frame rate as the tv(there was a thick screen protector that looked battle scarred already, so that could be it). Also, the display tv had a little motion blur going on as well. Other than that, it was nice! Can't wait for it to drop, though the manager said there would be no midnight launch since it was on a Sunday, and that the store would open at 9am instead. Not sure I believe him.

I'm no tech expert, but yeah, it looked like it needed some additional AA. Mario's head looked totally pixelated.

Again, it's passable (I can't imagine streaming a 60 fps image while keeping controls lagless is an easy task, but they manage to get it done), but the DS NSMBs look more "clear".
One thing I'm curious about the entire Wii U Tour setup is what kind of interference tolerance they have built in. That trailer had 7 Wii U tablets running within range, which is definitely not normal usage behaviour.

braves01

Banned
Ok I finally got to check one of these out for a few minutes at Gamestop.

My initial reaction to the Gamepad is mostly positive. It feels very light and comfortable in terms of spacing, and I had no problem reaching back and forth between sticks and buttons or holding my hands at a wider distance than with a normal controller. The d-pad is much better than Wiimote pad, but not quite as nice as the 3DS XL pad imo. It's a little bit mushier and not as clicky. I liked it better than the current 360 or dual shock dpads though. The buttons are also very similar to 3DS XL buttons but larger. The sticks felt fine (better than dualshock), but the triggers took a little getting used to, since I've always preferred the dualshock setup instead of the trigger/bumper layout and the trigger and bumper are kinda far apart. I think the Pro controller might better in this respect. The grips on the back of the pad didn't align quite right with my hand, so that felt a little weird, but it's definitely better than a flat back would have been.

The screen was only slightly disappointing. I thought the colors looked fine and I was pleasantly surprised with the responsiveness and resolution. It's definitely not shit as some people have been saying, and looks about on par with my iphone 4 (I'm not a big techie so I have no idea how the two actually stack up). The size of the screen is my only disappointment. It's probably just psychological since ipads and iphones have a very small bezel around the screen, but all the sticks, buttons, and space around the screen made it seem quite small. I really dislike Rayman, so that didn't help my impression either. Also, fingerprints, lots of fingerprints.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Tried the demo unit at the local Gamestop...

• The controller screen seemed fine to me, and a bit better than I was expecting.
  • The controller is much heavier than I was expecting -- I'm slightly worried it would get tiring to hold for extended periods, but everyone else has far better reactions to it so perhaps it's just my gut reaction to the weight vs. the Wii Classic Controller and the Wavebird.
  • The + joypad and analog joysticks seemed very well placed this time -- using the joystick is comfortable, and the joypad seems far more comfortable than it is on the 3DS and other "non-primary" controllers Nintendo has made.
  • Not sure how the main L and R buttons are ever going to be used, given the construction of the controller.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Tried the demo unit at the local Gamestop...

• The controller screen seemed fine to me, and a bit better than I was expecting.
  • The controller is much heavier than I was expecting -- I'm slightly worried it would get tiring to hold for extended periods, but everyone else has far better reactions to it so perhaps it's just my gut reaction to the weight vs. the Wii Classic Controller and the Wavebird.
  • The + joypad and analog joysticks seemed very well placed this time -- using the joystick is comfortable, and the joypad seems far more comfortable than it is on the 3DS and other "non-primary" controllers Nintendo has made.
  • Not sure how the main L and R buttons are ever going to be used, given the construction of the controller.

I think you're one of the very few to find the controller heavy. Even attached to the hefty power cord at my demo station, I thought it was very light. It'll tire me out less than having my arms up frequently, waggling with Wiimotes.

Medalion

Banned
I'm not a graphics whore I don't think

but when the 3DS went to XL I was quite distracted by the loss of PPI

How does this the GamePad compared to the 3DS XL screen is what I wanna know

I'm not a graphics whore I don't think

but when the 3DS went to XL I was quite distracted by the loss of PPI

How does this the GamePad compared to the 3DS XL screen is what I wanna know

I think 3DS XL is like 95 ppi and Wii U is 158. The iPad 2 was 132 for reference.

zroid

Banned
I only found the GamePad heavy while holding it with one hand and managing the stylus with the other. (Actually -- it was more awkward than heavy. The weight distribution is a little difficult if you're just holding it on one side). As has otherwise been suggested though, this should be an easy fix either by cradling the GamePad with your arm, or by resting it in your lap.

suracity

I don't know why but i find myself keep smiling while watching the video.
You can see the toad player initially wanted to skip those small coins but because the other player consistently drew platforms for him so he went back to eat all coins. It's like you can't say no to other people's courtesy!

Vibed

I thought the Gamepad was pretty light, it's just the cord pulling on it made it heavier than it actually was. Overall, the controller was incredibly comfortable and fit perfectly into my hands. It seemed like people with small hands might have trouble reaching everything, but that's just me.

The screen was a nice ppi, but it was clearly of lower quality than the DS lite or 3DS to me. Everything looked a little dull, and no, the screen was not smudged with a thousand hands. In fact, the one I played probably had 4 or 5 people playing it before tops, smudge free.

Rayman Legends, the only game available, was really enjoyable. If those levels are how the rest of the game will be, I'd love that. Murphy was actually, heaven forbid, fun to play as.

Hazelhurst

For the people who say the controller feels nice in your hands, would you say you have large hands? I have big hands and I'm hoping this feels good in them

NateDrake

I thought the Gamepad was pretty light, it's just the cord pulling on it made it heavier than it actually was. Overall, the controller was incredibly comfortable and fit perfectly into my hands. It seemed like people with small hands might have trouble reaching everything, but that's just me.

The screen was a nice ppi, but it was clearly of lower quality than the DS lite or 3DS to me. Everything looked a little dull, and no, the screen was not smudged with a thousand hands. In fact, the one I played probably had 4 or 5 people playing it before tops, smudge free.

Rayman Legends, the only game available, was really enjoyable. If those levels are how the rest of the game will be, I'd love that. Murphy was actually, heaven forbid, fun to play as.

The screen is much better quality than the 3DS or DS Lite.

RedSwirl

We're all taking into account that this screen has to be part of a controller that's packaged with a console and must sell for a combined price that's less than an iPad right?

For the people who say the controller feels nice in your hands, would you say you have large hands? I have big hands and I'm hoping this feels good in them
I'm a fairly large guy, and the controller felt amazingly crafted in my hands. It was almost distracting how light it was, and the small handles underneath just melted into your grip. The controller felt great, so no worries in that department any longer. Everything seemed well placed and thought out. Now, if we could just get that generic ass looking system to suddenly change into a uniquely crafted design, we would be all set. I know it doesn't matter in the end, but I do find it disappointing that the system design itself has zero personality, especially in comparison to nearly every Nintendo home console released.

... but I do find it disappointing that the system design itself has zero personality, especially in comparison to nearly every Nintendo home console released.

The personality is all in the gamepad. I too wish the console itself had something to it, but I personally hardly interact with my consoles themselves outside of changing a disc out. As long as the controller still retains that Nintendo personality, it should be enough.

Stewox

Banned
I only found the GamePad heavy while holding it with one hand and managing the stylus with the other. (Actually -- it was more awkward than heavy. The weight distribution is a little difficult if you're just holding it on one side). As has otherwise been suggested though, this should be an easy fix either by cradling the GamePad with your arm, or by resting it in your lap.

It's intented to be placed on something when using only stylus, which is being used for casual experiences, stuff like which those gamers won't be a problem with, but it would be a problem for a serious gamer that's why you saw 3x3 game with the stylus not a full blown zelda.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
I had the same issue when I was playing NSMBU, but I just ended up resting the GamePad on my palm and it felt much better.

I have pretty big hands and it felt super comfortable. I don't think it's going to be as comfortable to people with smaller hands, but it's fairly light and easy to handle.

kitsuneyo

Considering the loading screens on the demo units have been to transition from one cut of the game to another, it isn't surprising how long they are. If the retail game follows suit however, that could be a significant annoyance.

I was talking about loading screens during the game, like when you go through the door that leads to the view of Tower Bridge. Must have been 20-30 seconds of waiting. Hope the retail game cuts that right down.

Rootbeer

Banned
I found the gamepad to be rather light for its size and considering it has a screen. Not a lot heavier than a 360 gamepad to me.

Even if it were a tad heavy I'd rather use this than the wiimote anyday. I'm trying to be thankful :p

I don't think I can stomach another zelda forced to use that thing.

HegeMon

Neo Member
I got a chance to try it over the weekend at the downtown SF Gamestop. I was with my 8-year-old, whose video-game exposure has been limited to Wii/iPad/smartphone.

The gamepad was as light as expected. (Actually, given how people keep saying that it's unexpectedly light, even after reading 10,000 other impressions that say the same, I should probably have expected a helium balloon or something.)

Anyway, it seemed like a very well-made toy, which is what it ought to seem like, IMO. You feel as if you could treat it roughly, which is very different from how you might feel about an iPad. And it has a much better screen than you would expect from a toy, so the overall impression is positive.

What I did NOT expect was how strange and genuinely interesting the cooperative "asymmetrical gameplay" would be. (I played the non-rhythm Rayman level in which the pad-player controls Murphy.) This Rayman game in particular is going to be a major hit with kids who are hanging out together after school. It is a wholly different dynamic from the usual split-screen co-op or turn-taking that everyone is used to. Rather than getting in each other's way, you constantly need to share strategies and tactics with your friend in order to succeed. I think it is odd that some people are treating this as a "gimmick." To me, it seems like a style of gameplay that offers real advantages over other styles, much as online does.

My son thought it was great, as you might expect from an 8-year-old. I was impressed at how audacious it was, and for that reason alone, I hope the platform is successful.

jrDev

Just went to gamestop and played around with it.

Controller is amazingly comfortable and light. Quite a fascinating piece of tech. Whoever thinks the GamePad is big, it's actually surprisingly small...
Console is pretty lengthy...

Rayman was the only demo and it looked amazing and played wonderfully.

Vibed

The screen is much better quality than the 3DS or DS Lite.

That's just what it looked like to me. I even held up my launch 3DS to compare, and the 3DS looked better. Maybe it's factual, maybe the demo unit I saw had a deficient screen or something. I admit I haven't seen a DS Lite in a while.

We're all taking into account that this screen has to be part of a controller that's packaged with a console and must sell for a combined price that's less than an iPad right?

And I understand the reason for it's quality and why Nintendo did it that way.

Just tried it at a Best Buy during lunch.

Rayman was the only playable demo. Looked and played great.
Gamepad felt comfortable.

Kinda hard to say much more until I try more games.

Downhome

I think I've decided to avoid the demo stations. I have mine paid for and I don't seem to need to worry about anything since reviews and impressions sound great so far. I'll let my first time playing it be in my living room.

sphinx

the piano man
I think I've decided to avoid the demo stations. I have mine paid for and I don't seem to need to worry about anything since reviews and impressions sound great so far. I'll let my first time playing it be in my living room.

you...

indiana-jones-and-the-last-crusade.jpg

chose wisely!

I'd do the same. Otherwise you'd go to the demo station thinking "this shit better blow me away in 5 seconds, the latest, I've already paid", nothing good can come out of that situation

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
you...

chose wisely!

I'd do the same. Otherwise you'd go to the demo station thinking "this shit better blow me away in 5 seconds, the latest, I've already paid", nothing good can come out of that situation

Or you could control your expectations. I've played every Nintendo console since the Nintendo 64 prior to launch at stores, demo stations, events.. and it never ruined anything for me.

Top Bottom