• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official thread of "GAF I got a PS3, now what?"

Meadows

Banned
Top 5 Exclusives (in no order):

InFAMOUS
Uncharted: Drake's Fortune
Resistance: Fall of Man
Fl0wer
Little Big Planet

Top 5 PSN (in no order):

Fl0wer
Super Stardust HD
Shatter
Pixeljunk Monsters (I don't like it but a lot of people do)
PAIN

Raist

Banned
Doytch said:
Can I find the current prices for PSN games anywhere? Specifically the Canadian store...

Yes, on the PS store.
:p

I guess you'd have to browse kassatsu's thread, dunno if there is a full list of PSN games with pricing (especially for canucksland) on the web.

edit: I'm not even sure the prices for Canada are listed on the weekly PS store threads.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Raist said:
Ok, started the games section with RPG and Platformers. Will add moar genres later :D

You may want to mention that Demon's Souls is only available in Japan. Or put maybe a tiny line below in where a certain game is available.

Of the exclusive that I own I'd recommend all of them :D

More specifically

Killzone 2 - heart-thumping, adrenaline rush of a single player campaign especially at higher difficulties and a very good online mode
Uncharted - I think the game gets more praise than it deserves but it is still an excellent game once you realise it's more of an action game then an exploration game ala Tomb Raider
Valkyria Chronicles - Wonderful, just wonderful
Metal Gear Solid 4 - The conclusion to one of the best game series of all time, very fun game
LittleBigPlanet - It'll put a big goofy smile on your face at one point or another especially if you play with a few friends

Notable PSN games

Super Star Dust HD
Wipeout HD
Flower
Echochrome - Not to everyone's taste but it's a great puzzle game imo and the music is pretty good

Raist

Banned
Added a FPS section.

For the next ones, judging by the posts here and the overall popularity on GAF, I think I'll add:

Action (in a broad sense)
Uncharted
MGS4
???

Racing
GT5P
Motorstorm PR
Burnout Paradise

Sports
HSG5
MLB The show 09
???

PSN
Warhawk
Fat Princess
Wipeout HD
Shatter
Super Stardust HD
Pixel Junk (Monsters and Eden)
Flower

I think overall that's some solid and safe picks. The main point being to give a small taste of the PS3 library (mostly exclusives) and to include quite different games to cover as many tastes as possible, not to make a complete list of PS3 games.

Raist

Banned
Max said:
GAF, I'm getting a PS3 Slim and I am so happy that this thread exists

:D

If you guys have more questions, go ahead since it might help to build the FAQ as well.

Anyway, added Action games (yeah, put very different stuff in there, but that's the point :p)

2d2ds86.jpg

Nice :lol

Raist

Banned
Max said:
Raist, you should also add a list of upcoming PS3 exclusives worth looking forward to

Hmm, dunno, that's very subjective (it's also the case for Games in the OP, but at least we have feedback from people who have actually played them :p) and I don't really want to turn it into a "list warz!" post.
Plus, there already are lots of frequent updates and new threads for upcoming titles with a great potential, so people don't really need this thread for that.

noah111

Still Alive
Excellent games list so far, though I think you should change the "FPS" section to "Shooters" instead, to include titles like Warhawk and whatnot. Action can be changed to 'Action / Adventure' as well. Overall great start on the games list bro. :D

Max

I am not Max
Raist said:
Hmm, dunno, that's very subjective (it's also the case for Games in the OP, but at least we have feedback from people who have actually played them :p) and I don't really want to turn it into a "list warz!" post.
Plus, there already are lots of frequent updates and new threads for upcoming titles with a great potential, so people don't really need this thread for that.
Ah, right. That's understandable.

Raist

Banned
Sentry said:
Excellent games list so far, though I think you should change the "FPS" section to "Shooters" instead, to include titles like Warhawk and whatnot. Action can be changed to 'Action / Adventure' as well. Overall great start on the games list bro. :D

I'll put Warhawk in the PSN section. Online MP-only game should be bought this way :p

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
I plan on spending 1k on a TV, Ps3, games and some Blu-Rays. How do you think I should spend it? For movies I was thinking Chungking Express and The Man Who Fell to Earth or perhaps the Dark Knight. For games, Singstar Queen and Singstar Abba (are they cheap yet?) plus some budget games more than likely.

spwolf

awesome thread raist - one major failure though, i cant believe you spotlight tversity, which is very terrible compared to ps3 media server :D

and yeah, awesome thread :)

Driving:
1. GT5P
2. Wipeout
3. Burnout
4. Motorstorm PR

PSN
1. PJM
2. the last guy
3. flower
4. SSHD
5. Fat Princess

Raist

Banned
spwolf said:
awesome thread raist - one major failure though, i cant believe you spotlight tversity, which is very terrible compared to ps3 media server :D

Start
Set up shared folders
Boot PS3
Browse folders
Profit

It's stable, works well, is easy to use, and transcoding is helpful. I don't exactly see why people say it's terrible. It does exactly what it's supposed to do. And it was one of the first to support streaming to a PS3, with a lot of updates and stuff.
Does PS3MS make coffee and BJ or something? :p

AlternativeUlster: Well, for a start you can check the couple of games mentioned in the OP or throughout the thread, I guess :p

Robot 492

Banned
Sentry said:
I agree with this. That way, you can include SOCOM :)

Raist

Banned
Dunno about SOCOM. Can be a bit redundant with Warhawk (I know, different gameplays, but still) and GAF's opinion seems to be extremely divided on it. Are the lag issues fixed?
As for merging FPS with other "Shooters", since subgenres can be very different, I'm not sure it's really needed.

Also, started the PSN section :D

258qagz.jpg

iclo5i.jpg

2lag9w2.jpg
34rt1jr.jpg

Will soon hit the character limit :eek:
I have Post #3 reserved tho.

noah111

Still Alive
Raist said:
Dunno about SOCOM. Can be a bit redundant with Warhawk (I know, different gameplays, but still) and GAF's opinion seems to be extremely divided on it. Are the lag issues fixed?
As for merging FPS with other "Shooters", since subgenres can be very different, I'm not sure it's really needed.

Also, started the PSN section :D

258qagz.jpg

iclo5i.jpg

2lag9w2.jpg
34rt1jr.jpg

Will soon hit the character limit :eek:
I have Post #3 reserved tho.
Beautiful so far, nice work. :)

batbeg

This seems as good a place as any to ask: I noticed yesterday I have 0% trophies for Super Stardust HD. This confused me as I'd never bought the game before, so I checked my games and there was a SSHD. I played it only to find it was a demo so no, I haven't ever bought this game.

Why the hell do I have a trophies list for a game I don't own?

batbeg said:
This seems as good a place as any to ask: I noticed yesterday I have 0% trophies for Super Stardust HD. This confused me as I'd never bought the game before, so I checked my games and there was a SSHD. I played it only to find it was a demo so no, I haven't ever bought this game.

Why the hell do I have a trophies list for a game I don't own?
SSHD is the only game that adds trophies when you play the demo. It was the first game to ever recieve trophies and it's probably a bug that no one of the developers cares about enough to fix it.

Why is BioShock on the list?

and yeah, MotorStorm Pacific Rift need to be on there!

Hakuna Matata/Afrika, Aquanaut's Holiday and Heavenly Sword are also exclusive games I REALLY like, but I can understand that these titles aren't suited to be thrown on a general best-of-list.
Though I would even put them over i.e. Warhawk, because there are so many MP-shooters and the mentioned games kinda stand out if you want something different (btw. should Warhawk really be in the PSN category?).

Guy Legend

SolidusDave said:
Why is BioShock on the list?

Why not? If you're only putting exclusives down, you're missing some of the best games.

Grand Theft Auto 4 needs to be added to action/adventure, Call of Duty 4 Modern Warfare to FPS.

Raist

Banned
Yeah, even if it's focused on exclusives, Bioshock is a great title and different enough from other FPSs (unlike CoD4 which falls under the same category than KZ2) to be worth a mention.
Same for Warhawk, it's a shooter, but a TPS with an emphasis on vehicles and strategical gameplay. The only title which would directly compare to it is BF1943.
Again, the goal is not to provide an exhaustive list of good games, but to display the ones that stand out (great, unique, etc).

MS:pR will be there, along with GT5P and BP probably. Haven't started working on Racing banners yet :p

Also, just added small flags under each game to show on which stores demos can be found.
I don't have a HK account but I doubt it'll have more demos than the 3 major ones. DS, LBP and Flower certainly do not have a demo anywhere, unless I missed something.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
new PS3 owners should think about charging System/Station for their DS3s , even when you can charge DS3 from any USB port and mini USB cable, but these will actually help and keep you keep you organized .

just remember do not charge DS3 controller 24/7 , you will ruin the poor thing.

Energizer Power & Play ( $30 - 2 controllers )

51uOv2u-zAL._SS500_.jpg

Quad Charge Station ( $25 - 4 controllers )

41UfZUwXl-L._SS500_.jpg

Nyko Charge Base 2 ( $30 - 2 controllers )

41MUBtujkxL._SS500_.jpg

KONNET Power Pyramid ( $50 - 2 PS3 controllers + 2 Xbox 360 controllers

41qPyXsyXNL.jpg

Intec PS3 Charging Station ( $20 - 2 controllers )

41t%2BamHieWL.jpg

Cables Unlimited Controller Charger & Stand ( $24 - 1 controller )

31ig6jSMDML.jpg

Psyclone Games PS3 Recharge Station ( $20 - 2 controllers ** do not work with Real triggers ** )

41Huc0VHC5L.jpg

Would anyone mind passing along a list of must downloads from the Japanese side of the PlayStation Store? Aside from Ryu Ga Gotoku 3 of course, which I already have. Or simply refer me to the proper thread.

Also, info on how to properly config videos for playback? Like formats that are supported, how to play subtitled content, that sort of stuff.

Kittonwy

Banned
The official top five games approved by Kittonwy:

In descending order of importance:
1) UNCHARTED!!!111!!!
angry.gif

2) KILLZONE 2!!!222!!!
angry.gif

3) INFAMOUS!!!111!!!
angry.gif

4) Little Big Planet!!!
angry.gif

5) Motorstorm PR!!!
angry.gif

Raist

Banned
FortNinety said:
Would anyone mind passing along a list of must downloads from the Japanese side of the PlayStation Store? Aside from Ryu Ga Gotoku 3 of course, which I already have. Or simply refer me to the proper thread.

AFAIK there's not a lot more interesting content which can be exclusively found on the JP store. Except PSone classics, of course. Check the latest PS Store thread (link in the OP) and you'll find a list of stuff exclusive to the JP store as well as a link to Speevy's excellent thread for PSone classics.

Also, info on how to properly config videos for playback? Like formats that are supported, how to play subtitled content, that sort of stuff.

If you use TVersity or PMS, you don't have to care about supported formats since they transcode on the fly when your PS3 can't read the file.
You can find a guide for subtitle streaming here for TVersity (there's also a link in there to a guide for PMS). Apparently FW 3.0 will add subtitle support directly on the PS3.

Kittonwy said:
The official top five games approved by Kittonwy:

In descending order of importance:
1) UNCHARTED!!!111!!!
angry.gif

2) KILLZONE 2!!!222!!!
angry.gif

3) INFAMOUS!!!111!!!
angry.gif

4) Little Big Planet!!!
angry.gif

5) Motorstorm PR!!!
angry.gif

Pretty much this, the best 5 exclusives.
honorable mention: MGS4.

on the PSN side.

WipeoutHD + Fury
Shatter
PixelJunk Eden and Monsters
Flower
SuperStarDust HD
Honorable mention: Fat Princess

spwolf

Raist said:
Start
Set up shared folders
Boot PS3
Browse folders
Profit

It's stable, works well, is easy to use, and transcoding is helpful. I don't exactly see why people say it's terrible. It does exactly what it's supposed to do. And it was one of the first to support streaming to a PS3, with a lot of updates and stuff.
Does PS3MS make coffee and BJ or something? :p

AlternativeUlster: Well, for a start you can check the couple of games mentioned in the OP or throughout the thread, I guess :p

it is very slow- a lot slower than PMS.

With my old athlon, i was able to transcode/subtitles 720p with PMS, with Tversity, i could not do it, it would run at 5-6 fps.

PMS is easier to setup and works much better... if you want to customize it, is also offers more options :D

Top Bottom