• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official thread of "GAF I got a PS3, now what?"

Doytch

dojokun said:
No one mentioned SOCOM in the first 5 pages?

The awful reviews (67%) pushed me away from it right quick. Was originally thinking of picking it up mainly for the headset.

DeadGzuz

Banned
Doytch said:
The awful reviews (67%) pushed me away from it right quick. Was originally thinking of picking it up mainly for the headset.

Well the reviews (most of them) were done before the game release, before many of the patches. I'm not saying it is better now, I don't play it.

Raist

Banned
spwolf said:
it is very slow- a lot slower than PMS.

With my old athlon, i was able to transcode/subtitles 720p with PMS, with Tversity, i could not do it, it would run at 5-6 fps.

PMS is easier to setup and works much better... if you want to customize it, is also offers more options :D

Ah. Well both are mentioned anyway :p

Added Fat Princess and Shatter to the OP.

Raist said:
If you use TVersity or PMS, you don't have to care about supported formats since they transcode on the fly when your PS3 can't read the file.
You can find a guide for subtitle streaming here for TVersity (there's also a link in there to a guide for PMS). Apparently FW 3.0 will add subtitle support directly on the PS3.

Well, I'm on a Mac, so I guess I'm out of luck on that end. But if what you say ends up being true about FW 3.0, then I should be okay. When does that come out btw?

Also, I know I'm going to get bitched out for this, but what's with all the hate for Noby Noby Boy? It's pure, mindless fun for just $5.

Raist

Banned
FortNinety said:
Well, I'm on a Mac, so I guess I'm out of luck on that end. But if what you say ends up being true about FW 3.0, then I should be okay. When does that come out btw?

Also, I know I'm going to get bitched out for this, but what's with all the hate for Noby Noby Boy? It's pure, mindless fun for just $5.

PMS works on OSX.

edit: FW 3.0 should be up sometime next week.

inner-G

Banned
FortNinety said:
People being ridiculous.

It's a steal for $5 and a good way to tide yourself over until Katamari Forever next month.

noah111

Still Alive
BTW I just remembered.. this is probably am must for anyone using a PS3 with an HDTV.

Video_Output_Settings.JPG

Go to the 'Settings' column of the XMB, scroll down to the 'Display Settings' icon, select the 'RGB Full Range (HDMI)' setting and switch to the 'Full' option instead of 'Limited'..

Result is basically this;

DSC_1237.jpg

DSC_1235.jpg

Raist, you should add to the OP, related to the PSN accounts:

- Explanation about US states without taxes.

- Explanation about how to make a HK or JP account.

Psy-Phi

MvmntInGrn said:
I thought this was debunked and only to be used on PC monitors or something?
It makes no discernible difference on my Aquos. I leave it on though. Maybe it changes something, but it's certainly not as blatantly obvious as those pics above. I've only asked one of my friends if they noticed a difference and they didn't either. But we're guys...we only see so many colors, or so I'm told.

Raist

Banned
DangerousDave said:
Raist, you should add to the OP, related to the PSN accounts:

- Explanation about US states without taxes.

- Explanation about how to make a HK or JP account.

Mind to give a few examples of tax free states? IIRC I picked Florida and don't remember seeing any added taxes. As for Asian accounts, I have no clue about how to set up a HK account (although it might be in english, never checked) and I did give a link to kassatsu's guide for creating a JP account.

@Sentry: the problem is that not many HDTVs are compatible with full RGB, and people who still try to use it end up having crushed blacks (the main disadvantage being that it can be way too dark in some games).

Totobeni said:
new PS3 owners should think about charging System/Station for their DS3s , even when you can charge DS3 from any USB port and mini USB cable, but these will actually help and keep you keep you organized .

just remember do not charge DS3 controller 24/7 , you will ruin the poor thing.

Energizer Power & Play ( $30 - 2 controllers )

I have this and it works great except it's too bright. Either glows bright red or bright green. It shouldn't glow anything and I have to unplug it pretty much making it not worth it. I want to love it but can't get past this flaw.

Totobeni said:
new PS3 owners should think about charging System/Station for their DS3s , even when you can charge DS3 from any USB port and mini USB cable, but these will actually help and keep you keep you organized .

just remember do not charge DS3 controller 24/7 , you will ruin the poor thing.
Really? Crap I have done that since I got it. :/ Ruins batteries or something? Haven't had a controller go dead since I got it.

noah111

Still Alive
Psy-Phi said:
It makes no discernible difference on my Aquos. I leave it on though. Maybe it changes something, but it's certainly not as blatantly obvious as those pics above. I've only asked one of my friends if they noticed a difference and they didn't either. But we're guys...we only see so many colors, or so I'm told.
It definitely is for me, huge difference in the saturation and whatnot. From what I have tested it's the same effect on multiple TVs i've tried out.

Sentry said:
BTW I just remembered.. this is probably am must for anyone using a PS3 with an HDTV.

Video_Output_Settings.JPG

Go to the 'Settings' column of the XMB, scroll down to the 'Display Settings' icon, select the 'RGB Full Range (HDMI)' setting and switch to the 'Full' option instead of 'Limited'..

Result is basically this;

DSC_1237.jpg

DSC_1235.jpg

Full is for monitors. Using it on HDTVs will just crush details.

Raist

Banned
MvmntInGrn said:
Really? Crap I have done that since I got it. :/ Ruins batteries or something? Haven't had a controller go dead since I got it.

That may not necessarily kill it, but it can shorten the battery's life way faster.

Raist said:
That may not necessarily kill it, but it can shorten the battery's life way faster.
Well I will unhook them when charged now, I don't leave my cell phone plugged in because of this so why I didn't put 2 and 2 together I don't know :lol

Michan

I've just got a new PS3.

What, worth buying, is available on the JP store that isn't available on the EU store?

Also, Wipeout HD looks a lot like F-Zero GX. I loved GX. Will I love Wipeout?

Just bought Flower and Noby Noby Boy. Noby Noby Boy is fun, but the levels are way too small. Flower is amazing, though.

Raist

Banned
stuburns said:
What about the super white thing? I have it off because I'm not sure what it does to which TVs.

Same than Full RGB, it's for a limited set of TV/monitors. Although this one won't hurt anything if you turn it on.

anyone looking for some buds add me: MikeE21286

I've got KZ2, Wipedout+Fury, Fat Princess (basically all the exclusive PS3 games)

Doytch

Just pulled the trigger, ordered online for $25 off. Hopefully it won't take ages to ship, but I've got a bunch of stuff to work through on PC anyway. Planning on getting a bunch of PSN stuff initially, then Uncharted 2 after I borrow the first from a friend.

I can get the Warhawk bundle for $30. Is the headset in that one worse than the official Sony one, which will cost like $15-$20 more?

Raist

Banned
Michan said:
What, worth buying, is available on the JP store that isn't available on the EU store?

Mostly PSone classics (there are a shitload of them on the JP store). Check the link to the PS store thread in the OP (I've updated it btw) you'll find a list of PSone games and a link to Speevy's thread on good PSone games.

LiquidMetal14 said:
Still have mine set to full......will change ASAP since I went plasma.

I remember thinking it didn't look too bad on my old sharp aquos LCD but after testing it on my new KURO, limited is definitely the way to go on plasma's. You loose so much detail in full mode.

Foxix Von

H_Prestige said:
Full is for monitors. Using it on HDTVs will just crush details.

On my TV there's a setting called "black level" with the options for high and low. Which is apparently wacky LG speak for reference levels.

I get a better range of colors most of the time with the TV set to high and the system set to full. Oddly some dvd's look a little washed out though unless I set it to low so I have no idea wtf is going on there. :lol

VQ

Raist

Banned
Doytch said:
Just pulled the trigger, ordered online for $25 off. Hopefully it won't take ages to ship, but I've got a bunch of stuff to work through on PC anyway. Planning on getting a bunch of PSN stuff initially, then Uncharted 2 after I borrow the first from a friend.

I can get the Warhawk bundle for $30. Is the headset in that one worse than the official Sony one, which will cost like $15-$20 more?

I have both, and honestly, there is not a HUGE difference.
Sony's earplug is way better, but the Jabra bundled with warhawk is lighter and more comfortable IMO. AFAIK it was considered as the best BT headset before Sony released the official one.

kassatsu

Banned
Raist said:
As for Asian accounts, I have no clue about how to set up a HK account (although it might be in english, never checked)
It is fully in English, there is no reason to have a guide for it.

user friendly said:
I remember thinking it didn't look too bad on my old sharp aquos LCD but after testing it on my new KURO, limited is definitely the way to go on plasma's. You loose so much detail in full mode.

With plasma's tending to have superior darker blacks from the get go, especially the king of kings (Pioneer Kuro), yeah, FULL just crushes detail.

mr_nothin

Banned
Not all HDTV's need to be set to limited. Some HDTVs actually support FULL RGB. The ones that done will crush blacks but give a bit more pop to the colors and add more contrast (on certain sets).

Doytch

Raist said:
I have both, and honestly, there is not a HUGE difference.
Sony's earplug is way better, but the Jabra bundled with warhawk is lighter and more comfortable IMO. AFAIK it was considered as the best BT headset before Sony released the official one.

Cool, thanks. Appreciate the thread/help, man.

mr_nothin said:
Not all HDTV's need to be set to limited. Some HDTVs actually support FULL RGB. The ones that done will crush blacks but give a bit more pop to the colors and add more contrast (on certain sets).

This is true.

There are test images available to determine if your HDTV supports RGB FULL. Most don't, and you'll simply lose detail in the blacks if you switch it on. For a few sets that do support it though, it may be better to use the FULL setting.

Do a Google search for "RGB FULL TEST" and you'll get plenty of info, plus a test image you can use.

While we're at it, Raist...

Since so many people are getting their first Blu-ray player as well when they get their new PS3 slim, I think we should remind people about the hidden calibration screens on Sony's Blu-ray movie discs:

With a Sony Blu-ray movie inserted and playing, go to the main menu. Hit the Triangle button.

Enter 7-6-6-9. (You can remember this code because it's "SONY" spelled out on a phone keypad.)

Voila! Free calibration screens!

For more info...

http://forums.highdefdigest.com/blu...cussion/256-bd-calibration-test-patterns.html

Raist

Banned
Pristine_Condition said:
This is true.

There are test images available to determine if your HDTV supports RGB FULL. Most don't, and you'll simply lose detail in the blacks if you switch it on. For a few sets that do support it though, it may be better to use the FULL setting.

Do a Google search for "RGB FULL TEST" and you'll get plenty of info, plus a test image you can use.

While we're at it, Raist...

Since so many people are getting their first Blu-ray player as well when they get their new PS3 slim, I think we should remind people about the hidden calibration screens on Sony's Blu-ray movie discs:

With a Sony Blu-ray movie inserted and playing, go to the main menu. Hit the Triangle button.

Enter 7-6-6-9. (You can remember this code because it's "SONY" spelled out on a phone keypad.)

Voila! Free calibration screens!

For more info...

http://forums.highdefdigest.com/blu...cussion/256-bd-calibration-test-patterns.html

Whoa, that's nice. Thanks :D

edit: added to the OP as well as some bits on full RGB in a new "Useful Tips" section :D

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Michan said:
I've just got a new PS3.

Also, Wipeout HD looks a lot like F-Zero GX. I loved GX. Will I love Wipeout?

Just bought Flower and Noby Noby Boy. Noby Noby Boy is fun, but the levels are way too small. Flower is amazing, though.

Vagrant Story.

Raist

Banned
Hellion said:
Opening post is missing Heavenly sword and Ninja Gaiden: Sigma

Which barely are mentioned here or in the shitload previous "what games should I get" threads. Not that they are bad games (I enjoyed HS) but I'm not going to put every single good game in there :p
Although I agree that the genre isn't represented in the OP.

GoWIII

Raist

Banned
Jive Turkey said:
Just pulled the trigger on the slim. Still not 100% I picked the better SKU but we'll see.

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE D:

I dunno. Bigger hard drive, less power consumption, cooler, quieter, smaller. Did you plan to use Linux?

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Raist said:
WHAT HAVE YOU DONE D:
OMG! :(

But yeah. Really it was form factor (fat looks much nicer) vs. function and unknown reliability. Went with function and crossed my fingers about the quality.

stuburns said:
Me too. Another game that might look cool that should be avoided like a rancid crack whore is Rag Doll Kunk Fu, that shit is fucking garbage.

I really rather like that game. I think it has a really funny humor going on and the gameplay works pretty good. Of course I got it for free, so not sure how id feel paying for it.

noah111

Still Alive
TrAcEr_x90 said:
I really rather like that game. I think it has a really funny humor going on and the gameplay works pretty good. Of course I got it for free, so not sure how id feel paying for it.
I actually paid for it, it's an awesome game with friends, alone it will only last you a day or so before you never touch it again. Still a great game though, just not worth it without local mates around.

Alex

Plus, if someone steals your fat PS3 and drops it on their foot, it will cripple them for life. It's got it's own built in security.

Top Bottom